Thursday, November 20, 2008

Maiwage (Part 2)

The one thing I will suggest to any bride-to-be, having now experienced the whole wonderful/horrible process first hand, is to stay hydrated. That's right, hydrated. Throughout dinner and the following reception, guests kept me pleasantly occupied in non-stop conversation, which lead to horrible dry mouth. But every time I tried to make my way to the bar for a drink, someone would stop me to talk. Next thing I knew, thirty minutes had passed and I was four people deep and no closer to the bar.

My solution was to politely ask whichever family member was closest to get me a glass of water. Ten minutes later, I was still thirsty and could see said family member across the room eating cake and talking to some other guest. This happened no less then six times that night... twice by my own Mother. When Hoop and I got to the hotel room later that night, I was so thirsty, I stuck my head under the bathroom faucet like a dog. It's really not a complaint though. Weddings are hairy for everyone involved. Which is why all weddings should include alcohol.

Some other points of interest: While reading my vows, I noticed that my heels were sinking into the grass and my mind instantly created a mental movie of me falling backwards, shoes still planted firmly in the ground. I had to bite on my tongue to keep from giggling. When the ceremony was over, I looked down and saw no less than twelve holes in the ground where I had sunk in and pulled myself out again. After the ceremony, Hoop's slightly eccentric uncle (also our photographer) told us to go around back to wait for him. Then he went inside and promptly forgot about us.

Hoop and I tossed around the idea of running away and starting our honeymoon early. It's probably good that we didn't. What good is a reception without the happy couple? Some time in the night, my family snuck away with the disposable cameras to take pictures of my female relations pretending to use the urinals in the Men's bathroom. None of the culprits were under the age of 40. The DJ, who continued to call herself "DJ Harm0ny" despite the fact that we all knew her name was Cheryl, kept reminding guests to sign the guest-photo like it was a Target blue light special.

One of the most memorable moments of the night for me though, was when Nash/Chris' five year old son stopped in front of us and said in complete awe, "You look so beautiful!" Somewhere, Hoop's uncle has a picture of me hugging him, and on my wrist is the memorial bracelet Hoop and I bought for the wedding party in remembrance of Chris. Each bracelet reads, "Forever in our hearts - Christopher H." You can say what you want about where we go when we die. But I swear to you, I felt him that night. It was like he was smiling down on us.

Tomorrow: The Bachelorette Party!

Labels:

23 Comments:

At 20 November, 2008, Blogger Newt said...

Ok, note to self, follow bride around with sports water bottle :-) AND camera!

And I agree, you were TOTALLY beautiful!

 
At 20 November, 2008, Blogger Janet said...

This is good to know, since I'll be a bridesmaid in April.

How awesome that you felt Chris there :-)

 
At 20 November, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd love to see that picture.
I'm so glad you felt Nash's presence (although I hope it was at the ceremony & reception, not *ahem* later on that night!). Are you still hoping to become this precious boy's legal guardians?

From the pictures we have seen, you were a stunning bride! A thirsty one, but stunning nonetheless.

 
At 20 November, 2008, Blogger Knight said...

I would never have thought of bringing water to the bride. Now I know and will never forget.
I really love that last paragraph. So beautiful.

 
At 20 November, 2008, Blogger Jay said...

Oh don't worry, if I ever get married alcohol will definitely be involved! Probably all the way through the entire relationship actually. ;-)

I have no doubt that Nash was there in some form, enjoying the whole thing.

 
At 20 November, 2008, Blogger Gramps said...

It's HOOP'S (Mr. Tink) job to take care of you. He should have been at your side all afternoon/evening shoveling food into your mouth followed by generous swigs of beer. Every husband knows that! He'll learn, though.

And, Jay, its long after the wedding ceremony that the alcohol really comes in handy in a marriage.

 
At 20 November, 2008, Blogger Gary's third pottery blog said...

somehow I can imagine Jay's wedding would be well worth attending!

 
At 20 November, 2008, Blogger the planet of janet said...

it is totally wonderful that you felt chris' presence. makes the day complete, i believe.

 
At 20 November, 2008, Blogger Chris said...

I'm glad you could feel him there with you!

 
At 20 November, 2008, Blogger Jen said...

I think that is one of the best memories you could possibly have. It's perfect.

I'm sure he's still smiling . . .

 
At 20 November, 2008, Blogger Gordo said...

Tinks, that's beautiful. I'm sure he was there with you.

 
At 20 November, 2008, Blogger Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

Oh My. Nash so struck home. My eyes are still blurry. What a wonderful way to include his memory -- he was and is so there with y'all.

After the euphoria of all that is you and Hoop time? Please share with us the occasional updates about how your nephew is doing.

So beautiful.

As far as the thirst? We are catholics and that means there is booze and beer at the receptions. And, me and DH have a standing rule for good friends. We work "drink patrol."

We, well I, had done this for "brides" in the past because I always saw the guys taking drinks to the groom -- while the bride stood thirsty and abandoned. I made it my duty that no bride would be lacking if I was attending her event.

So, at our wedding, the guys tended to DH and my Gal Pals tended back to me. Though, DH ended up hung over the next morning on our way at dark thirty to the airport -- we both agreed we would forever be the "Hydration Patrol" at future weddings.

And, we have. And, it's been fun. I might not even know the bride? But, I'm quickly inducted to the "you so shoulda' been my bridesmaid" honor!

;-)

So glad for y'all that it all went so well. So, happy. Sounds silly, but it takes me back and it's so great the experience was all it should be for joining you two together.

Happy Marriage!!!

 
At 20 November, 2008, Blogger Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

GASP! My Bad! Those shoes totally ROCKED!!! [I got married in white lace-up Justins.]

You are so beautiful in that dress!! You should wear it to dinner once a week. Make Hoop take you out and pretend y'all just got married!

I bet y'all would get to eat for free!!!!

Post the nitty gritty smoochy pics when you get them back from the Photo Uncle.

:-)

 
At 20 November, 2008, Blogger Mary said...

AWw Tink you made me cry. Which would be fine if I wasn't about to go get a patient from the ER...I'll have to explain the blotchy face now. Great...

I can't wait to see the pictures!!

 
At 21 November, 2008, Blogger meno said...

i'm sniffling a little over the Chris bracelet. That's beautiful. No one knows me here so i can say stuff like that.

 
At 21 November, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your maid of honor totally let you down. That's her job to get you stuff. That or you needed a bride fanny pack. Maybe a black one with skulls on it.

We needed more pictures in this post, because I wasn't cranky enough already.

Knot

 
At 21 November, 2008, Blogger g-man said...

I'm sure that photo will be a treasure for you and Hoop.

At our reception we just hung out at the bar! :)

 
At 21 November, 2008, Blogger J said...

I would have celebrated with a midnight showing of Twilight!!! It rocked.

 
At 21 November, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean, because I felt my grandparents at Foo & my wedding as well. We were there in spirit. Thanks for sharing. *hug*

 
At 23 November, 2008, Blogger mamatulip said...

He was smiling down on you.

*sniff, sniff*

 
At 24 November, 2008, Blogger fiwa said...

The whole thing is making me sniffle. You look so beautiful, and so happy. And so does Hoop. And I LOVE your shoes!

It sounds like it was a wonderful ceremony. I'm so happy for you. And looking forward to more stories and pictures.

love,
fiwa

 
At 24 November, 2008, Blogger Hilary said...

What a lovely way to include Chris in your wedding. I have no doubt what you felt was his joy for the two of you.

 
At 25 November, 2008, Blogger mrspao said...

When we got back to the hotel after our wedding we went straight to the bar and begged for huge amounts of water. I know what you mean!

I love the bracelets you got - they are such a great idea to remember him on your special day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home