Monday, October 27, 2008

Then God said, "Let her be sick on top of everything else!"

And Tink replied, "Gee, thanks."

What started out as a sore throat last Monday, quickly evolved into a vicious head cold by Friday. For three days, one side of my face has been screwed up into what can only be described as a precursor to a sneeze. Only, sneezing doesn't make it go away. It just switches sides. When I'm not sneezing, I'm alternating between being stuffy and being runny. Sometimes, my nose manages to do both. I'm convinced the snot is eating my brain from the inside, which would explain the freak headaches. Sometimes, just for the hell of it, my body will get to coughing too. But only if I'm on the phone or in a place where noise is not appreciated, like at a CPR and First Aid Class put on by the WELLNESS committee at work.

Ever tried to not snot on a dummy you're "rescuing" while nine pairs of eyes watch you? Not fun. I held my breath for so long, I was afraid I might pass out and be the next one who needed rescuing. The worst part about that day was not the two hour drive, the four hour class, or the head cold. It wasn't even the fact that two people skipped out on us or that one of those people had the only key into the building. No... It was the fact that I was doing it all for FREE. My boss had told everyone that it was optional. But to me, he had implied that it was mandatory. Being the sucker good employee that I am, I had agreed willingly to this early Saturday morning torture. I even got up early to vote! Unfortunately, everyone else in my city had the same idea.

When I got to the polling place, three minutes before they opened, there was a line wrapped around the building. Isn't the point of early voting to avoid the crowds? Hoop and I ended up going that afternoon instead. By then the line was much shorter and the people working the booths were hopped up on blood thinners or something. During the ten minutes I stood in line, I heard the old lady at the front door say, "I don't care who people vote for, just that they vote!" fifteen times. By the tenth time, I was mumbling "Liar" after each cheery outburst. Sunday, Hoop and I cleaned house for six and a half hours. It might have been overdo, but it was still madness. See what having house guests does to an already frazzled bride with a head cold?

UGH. I just bit into an apple and got stuck! I was too weak to pull my teeth out. On my behalf, it was an organic apple. Who knew piping chemicals into our food changed the consistency as well as the flavor? These things taste amazing and are hard enough to cause a concussion if thrown. Not that I would know... I may never go back to eating regular produce again. So, to wrap up this medicine induced ramble, I didn't finish the haunted house this weekend. But, Hoop and I did clean out the garage and all the supplies are laid out and ready to go. Thanks again for all your awesome ideas and links. Pictures will be posted soon. I'm not sure I can say as much for tomorrow's WWC entry. We'll see. Pray for the snot monsters to go away.

So, what did YOU do this weekend?

Labels: ,

31 Comments:

At 27 October, 2008, Blogger furiousBall said...

you should go play some ice hockey, where it is perfectly acceptable to fire snot rockets at will.

 
At 27 October, 2008, Blogger Real Live Lesbian said...

Hope you're feeling better!

 
At 27 October, 2008, Blogger Knight said...

Ah! Go to the Dr. and tell her/him/it you must be able to breathe on your wedding. He can give you steroids or something, right?

It's easy to lose six hours of your life cleaning. When I moved into my new apartment I spent four hours of the first night scrubbing the gross out of the bathroom. Then I did it again the next day.

 
At 27 October, 2008, Blogger Dianne said...

Your body is getting snotty at ya cause it wants you to slow down

then again what the hell do I know

I have had a sinus headache for 32 years.

if it's not better in another day or two then I think you should take Knight's advice.

 
At 27 October, 2008, Blogger LL said...

I'll give you a sure fire cure. Eat a clove (or more) of raw garlic every day. It's the best antibiotic known to man, and nothing will build an immunity to it. By the time it's dripping out of your pores, you'll feel much better.

 
At 27 October, 2008, Blogger Fortune Cookies said...

Snot monsters suck! Hope you get to feeling better soon!

 
At 27 October, 2008, Blogger fiwa said...

I know you didn't ask for advice or anything, so feel free to blow this off. But I agree with Knight - go to the doctor. It might be a sinus infection or something that he could give you antibiotics for. Poor you - I hope you feel better.

I'm praying to the flying spaghetti monster to kick the snot monsters ass!

love,
fiwa

 
At 27 October, 2008, Blogger Jen said...

I had a similar zombie virus that started a couple of Friday's ago. . . It still hasn't totally gone away - got the snot sniffles and lingering cough. At least no more headaches that feel as if a worm is eating my brain as well as no more body temperature changes.

Get well soon!

word verification: "obooph" (a ghost that got the wind knocked out of it)

 
At 27 October, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, NooooOOOOOO!!!
Been there, still doing that, but I'm not facing all that you are facing. I wasn't quite at sinus infection, but I got a "just in case" Rx because it was the beginning of the weekend. I didn't have to fill it, which is probably why my head stopped trying to explode. It just wanted the insurance policy.
The doc told me thick snot means you aren't getting enough fluids. Drink lots of water, take some Mucinex, some cold/sinus stuff, and ibuprofin will also help shrink swollen body parts down a bit. Warm moist compresses on the sinuses also help.
And I'm with Knight, see if you can get some antibiotics (unless those usually make you worse with other symptoms...not what you want on your honeymoon)!

PS: Thanks for your cheer - I don't like gyms either. That's what the Wii is for, if I can find an opponent to play with tonight.

 
At 27 October, 2008, Blogger Tawcan said...

I'm still recovering from a nasty cold. Hope you're feeling better.

Went climbing the past weekend. It was awesome. :D

 
At 27 October, 2008, Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

You had better hurry up and get better. A blushing bride is okay but not a sneezing one!!

 
At 27 October, 2008, Blogger Mary said...

AHHHHH a runny nose and stuffy at the same time, I HATE that.

Hope the bug has run its course and will be leaving you shortly.

looking forward to the pics!

 
At 27 October, 2008, Blogger Gin said...

Sending you cyber-chicken soup wishes. Hope you're all better soon. nyQuil works for me. Lots and lots of nyQuil

 
At 27 October, 2008, Blogger Allison Horner said...

Feel better & fast. That wedding of yours is coming quickly!! Get lots o' sleep & fluids.

 
At 27 October, 2008, Blogger Reb said...

I am sure the first aid dummies appreciated you trying not to snot on them! Get lots of rest and plenty of fluids. It wouldn't hurt to see your Dr. as long as he/she doesn't prescribe just to get rid of you.

Look for farmer's markets in your area, you will be amazed at how much better everything tastes!

 
At 27 October, 2008, Blogger the planet of janet said...

get thee to a doctor and plead weddingness.

 
At 27 October, 2008, Blogger CRUSTY MOM-E said...

Feel Better Tink!

I'm going to be a female Vince and crusty crash your wedding--but I'll bring a gift...
:)

Feel better and breath--

okay,..well, just rest, K?

 
At 27 October, 2008, Blogger Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

Oh, MY! *sigh* I just had a part of this thing? My two day sinus infection thingie? Lasted six bleepin' days and though I feel much better now? I'm still coughing from drainage and routinely blowing my nose.

And, I feel good. I'm not big on the antibiotics -- unless, it's a proven infection. No sense in weakening your immune system when it's a virus anyway.

BUT. You have a wedding in counting days on two hands. Better to be safe than sorry. Go to the doc and get the back up if you need it. Have him run a test or culture.

I mean, screw the wedding and loads of people and exhaustion from lack of sleep, food, fun, and all the great dancin' and toasting and cake.

But, sick on the honeymoon? Es no bueno mi amiga.

PUT. YOU. FIRST. Screw. the. haunted-thingie ma-bopper.

Happy and healthier Monday to you!

[snicker, the word verification says, "fartomer" Think it knows me but can't smell/spell?]

 
At 27 October, 2008, Blogger Jay said...

I say just hit the NyQuil pretty hard and see if that helps. That's what I usually do. Hell, sometimes I do that even if I'm not the snot monster.

They don't let you do those CPR and wellness things while on the clock? That sucks balls!

 
At 28 October, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

aww poor tink, sending you tissues and chicken soup. Get well soon!
on the plus side at least you could just go as the snot monster for halloween!!

 
At 28 October, 2008, Blogger Hilary said...

Poor you.. at least it's now and not plaguing you when you walk down the isle. I hope you feel better real soon. And I hope you've freed your teeth from that apple by now.

 
At 28 October, 2008, Blogger Gary's third pottery blog said...

RIGHT, praying for the snot to go away right now...

 
At 28 October, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was sick right along with you, my friend. And now it's migrated into my chest where it sits there and inhibits my breathing at night like a heavy stack of encylopedias. Yes, see a doctor. Drink Airborne. Take that Mucinex junk...it workds. Get better soon, love.

 
At 28 October, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My little guy is sick too. But really, it's better that it happens now than on your wedding day! :)

 
At 28 October, 2008, Blogger Aunt Jackie said...

Ewww I know how you feel... I hope you get well very soon! Sending love and hugs!! -Your Aunt Jackie

 
At 28 October, 2008, Blogger Peggy said...

Nyquill Day Nurse for the daytime - It will keep your nose dried out enought to function. Night Nurse when you want a good night's sleep.

Hang in there darling! At least the cold will be gone by the big day.

XXX

 
At 28 October, 2008, Blogger mamatulip said...

Snot Monsters, PLEASE GO AWAY!!

This had better be gone before your wedding. Boogers and white satin dresses don't mix.

 
At 29 October, 2008, Blogger Woman in a Window said...

"I heard the old lady at the front door say, "I don't care who people vote for, just that they vote!" fifteen times. By the tenth time, I was mumbling "Liar" after each cheery outburst." Oh dearie, just spit me falsies out.

And you're eating organic NOW and just got sick...I'm just saying, maybe the organic had something to do with it. (just kidding)

 
At 29 October, 2008, Blogger Arabella said...

As my sons would say, "Go 'WAY, snot!"

 
At 29 October, 2008, Blogger Spamboy said...

Last weekend I spent several hours wondering when to fetch the priest for last rites -- the sinus infection from hell. Perhaps I gave it to you. If I did, I apologize; just take the germs, put them in a self-addressed-stamped-envelope and send them back.

 
At 30 October, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

It's nice to know that even if you're not feeling good, you can still manage to make a very good post. get well soon. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home