Monday, December 01, 2008

Honeymoon: Day 3

I had good intentions of posting Friday. Then I lapsed into a turkey coma. I tried to type, but all that would come out was, "UGH." Work pretty much paid me to stare at my screen that day. I think I've finally digested that second helping of mashed potatoes though. So, we're OK. Without further delay, may I present to you day three of the honeymoon. Sweet Jebus, this has got to be the longest recap ever!

(Click for larger pictures or visit my Flickr page.)

I'm a planner. I don't mind being spontaneous, as long as it's what we've planned on being. It's an oxymoron (oxymora if you want to be picky), I know. But think about it. If you can plan on being lazy, why can't you plan on being spontaneous too? I'm game, as long as I don't have to make the decisions once we get there. Hoop and I arrived at Cozumel on Wednesday. Straight off the boat, people were ardently trying to sell us things. Hoop weaved around vendors holding bright signs and shouting things like, "Come here! I have something to show you!"

We pushed our way to the street before Hoop turned to me and said, "Wanna grab a scooter?" "Sure," I shrugged. The guy behind the kiosk took our money and handed over two pint-sized helmets and the keys to a bright yellow "Tucan". "The speed limit is 40ish," he mumbled to me as Hoop took an experimental drive around the parking lot. I hopped in behind him and away we went. There are a few things you should know before driving in Cozumel. One, no one obeys the speed limit. Everyone drives 80mph (130km), including the scooters.


(Scooter For Two)


(Palm Tree Beach)

Two, people will jump out in front of your moving vehicle in order to sell you things, like sculptures of people fornicating on seashells or timeshares. Three, "Topes" means speed bump and not "boobs", which is what the symbol on their sign looks like. You can imagine Hoop's disappointment when we finally figured that out; especially since we were looking too hard to notice that we should slow down. Our first stop on the scooter was a snorkel shack. A couple of Hoop's gambling buddies were already there and invited us to attend a wedding on the island for one of our cruisemates.

Having had our fill of weddings already, Hoop and I politely declined and then sped away for our own private getaway. It was at the next snorkel shack that things got a little hairy. Hoop kept asking me what I wanted to do. "As if I've actually been here before? I don't know, snorkel?" "Yes, but do you want to go on our own or in a group or somewhere else?" That's where the whole spontaneity thing from before comes in. Don't throw out the idea of plans and then expect me to make them last minute. After a bit of unfun snipping at each other, we decided to snorkel alone.

The beaches in Cozumel are fascinating. There isn't much sand. Mostly, it's made up of broken coral and shell. I wanted to haul it away by the handful. After an hour of fish-gazing, Hoop and I hopped back on the scooter for the next destination. Along the way we stopped at a little store for drinks and queso chips. As with everyone else, the kids behind the counter tried to con us out of money. Hoop stared at the 20 pesos in the cashier's hand, 16 pesos (about $1.70) short of what we were owed, before going back to the scooter for exact change. The chips were fantastic though. I wish they made that flavor back in the states!


(Chip Break)

The next stop, about an hour later, was a little Reggae bar halfway down the island. We ordered Coronas and sat in the shade for a bit staring at all the graffiti. It covered every surface of the place, including the floor and ceiling. In the distance you could see a lighthouse. Before and after that was nothing but empty beach and wild palms. It was awesome. I never wanted to leave...


(Reggae Bar)


(Reggae Bar Graffiti)


(Parrot)


(Posing On The Beach)


(Cozumel Beach)


(More Cozumel Beach)


(Wild Palms)

Tomorrow: WWC
Wednesday: Cozumel (Part Two), Mayan Ruins.

Labels:

23 Comments:

At 01 December, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Despite a few moments of snipping, it sounds like you had a great time! I'm not surprised, of course. Why wouldn't it be a great time?!

Do those helmets really protect your head if you crash at 80mph? Just wondering...

 
At 01 December, 2008, Blogger Hilary said...

Were you guys among those traveling at such high speed? I hope not.

I love that parrot photo.. looks like a real character. Great photos all around.

 
At 01 December, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I know anything about Jeff, he was probably driving the scooter at it maximum speed! LOL

 
At 01 December, 2008, Blogger Aunt Jackie said...

Lapsing into a Turkey coma I understand... wow, just a weekend of over-indulgence huh! Ours was good, hope yours was too.

I had to catch up on all the honeymoon updates, and the photos are FANTABULOUS! You guys should've signed the bar graffiti thingy... left your mark or sum'pthn lol

Today's 'captcha' is "ingosy" (like what the guy says when he is about to... uh ok I better not gosy there! lol)

O.k. I must still be under the evil spell of the Tryptophan so I will go for now. :)

Happy Monday... yeah

 
At 01 December, 2008, Blogger Woman in a Window said...

Looks like loads of fun! And to think for our honeymoon we went to a one room shack in the woods with a three legged dog tagging along. Huh.

 
At 01 December, 2008, Blogger Karen said...

My friend and I always "plan to play it by ear" and then proceed to laugh our asses off at the idea of that!

My captcha "color" never before have I seen those random letters spelled out a word before.

 
At 01 December, 2008, Blogger Tawcan said...

Jumping in front of moving vehicles to sell you stuff doesn't surprise me. That kind of stuff happens a lot in Asia too.

Wow that pic with the red swimming suit is HOT. Almost too hot to view at work. ;) :p

 
At 01 December, 2008, Blogger Chris said...

That parrot is great! Well, actually, all the pictures are great, but I really, really like the parrot picture.

 
At 01 December, 2008, Blogger CRUSTY MOM-E said...

better "ugh" then, "pppppphhhhhhhtttt let her RIPppp!" :)

Those darn scooters are death traps..You're lucky you're in one piece..and as a mom do I need to ask if you opted for the cruise insurance? lol

I love the pics..you guys totally have that honeymoon glow--
:)
E

 
At 01 December, 2008, Blogger meno said...

I have no idea where you found the strength to come home. So beautiful.

 
At 01 December, 2008, Blogger LL said...

You'd stay there? Looks dreadful to me... *shrug*

Glad to see you were thinking safety first with that leetle helmet and the red speedos. ;)

 
At 01 December, 2008, Blogger the planet of janet said...

love the hot chick with chips...

looks like a fabbo time.

 
At 01 December, 2008, Blogger Jay said...

I'm pretty sure I would do just fine living in Key West or some other Caribbean paradise. I love all that stuff.

Not to mention those gorgeous women eating chips next to their scooters! ;-)

 
At 01 December, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn you for looking so good in a bathing suit!

 
At 01 December, 2008, Blogger Jen said...

The husband and I went to Cozumel on our honeymoon too. We did a week of shore and boat scuba diving. It's fantastically beautiful! Especially at dusk. . .

Anyhow, I learned the same things about driving any sort of motorized vehicle. No one, absolutely no one, obeys traffic signs, laws or hand signals. I had to shut my eyes in each and every taxi - my heart would almost beat through them. And, if we hit anyone riding a scooter, they had all courts of law on their side. They can sue you for everything you brought down there.

Anyhow, were you amazed at how many individuals from one family could ride on one scooter built for 2?! Seriously, we saw families of 8 on them. Mom and dad, one kid on the drivers lap, 2 between them, one on the back and 2-3 hanging off the sides. . . . I never saw anything like that outside of a circus. Ever.

Heart the photos!

 
At 02 December, 2008, Blogger captain corky said...

LOL! The same thing used to happen to me all the time when I lived in NJ, relators used to jump in front of my car and to try to sale me timeshares in Key West, Cape Cod and the Poconos.

Awesome pictures. It looks like you guys had an amazing time.

 
At 02 December, 2008, Blogger Terri said...

looks absolutely amazing, rich and I have been to cancun and loved it but didn't make it to cozumel ....maybe next time! When we were in Cancun with our riends Chris and Ken, we got cornered in a market by a pushy salesman who labeled Rich and Ken - Mr. Macho and Senor Whiskers. They have been forever labeled that and we laugh still thinking about that short man sticking things in their faces and callling them that. He's lucky they were good natured fellows!

 
At 02 December, 2008, Blogger g-man said...

Very cool. I loved snorkeling in Cozumel. I bought a disposable underwater camera before we left the states. Your pictures are fabulous. Looking forward to part three.

 
At 02 December, 2008, Blogger mamatulip said...

I am a horrible flier and have never been anywhere remotely interesting or tropical, but seeing your pictures really makes me want to take a vacation.

 
At 02 December, 2008, Blogger furiousBall said...

good thing you labeled that parrot picture, i never would have seen the bird otherwise

 
At 02 December, 2008, Blogger Newt said...

Awesome pictures girl! Very jealous of your trip!

 
At 02 December, 2008, Blogger mrspao said...

Sounds and looks heavenly! Love the parrot photo.

 
At 02 December, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's it. I'm slapping on my eyepatch, saying "ARRRRgh" and getting myself a parrot just like that one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home