Thursday, February 05, 2009

Pickled Beef Bison

There are some people who can whip things up without a recipe, innately knowing which flavors can mix and which can't. Then there are people like Hoop, the man who thought orange extract would make pizza sauce more zesty. It didn't; just in case you were wondering. Hoop isn't a bad cook. Really. He's rather good, when he follows a format. But he's not the best at improv. Ever since he discovering that our government has approved the integration of cloned meat and milk into our food supply, he's been boycotting beef.

I'm not complaining. I'm all for putting better things in our body. But boycotting beef is harder than it sounds for a man who loves burgers, meaty lasagna and tacos. Tuesday night, as we were at the grocery store, Hoop decided to buy a pound of Bison meat as a possible substitute. I came home last night to burgers. They looked beautiful. They smelled wonderful. Unfortunately, they didn't taste as good as they looked or smelled. "What do you think?" Hoop mumbled around his mouthful. "Um... Honestly? It's not very good."

Hoop stared at his burger suspiciously. "It does taste a little off. Do you think the meat is bad?" "No. It just doesn't taste very good." We chewed in silence for awhile, not willing to admit defeat or waste the food. I tried in vain to pinpoint the flavor. Nothing came to mind. "I was really hoping this would taste better," Hoop sighed while finishing the last bite. I frowned and nodded my agreement while cleaning up the plates. About five minutes later Hoop turned to me and said, "Do you think it was the vegetable oil?"

************

A few people have marveled at the smallness of the manatees in my Tuesday photos. To put it in perspective, the fish in that lone manatee shot is the size of my arm, my entire arm... including my weird elbow. I knew when I was taking the shots that it would be hard to gage their size without some reference. I thought about throwing something into the water while we were there, like maybe a can, or one of those small children running around the dock. But I didn't think the park rangers would like that very much.

************

I bought my little ninjas (Hiyeee and Ya!) at this etsy shop:
Goose Grease. They're very small. I would not recommend them for children or really immature adults. Other cool ninja figures from Etsy can be found here, here, and here. You're welcome.

Labels: , ,

30 Comments:

At 05 February, 2009, Blogger Janet said...

Does this mean you'll start a 365 days one object project on flickr?!

 
At 05 February, 2009, Blogger Jay said...

I was wondering what he did to those burgers. I've had buffalo/bison burgers and they were pretty yummy.

Vegetable oil? LOL

 
At 05 February, 2009, Blogger mrspao said...

Bison sounds a bit weird. Maybe they needed some extra onion or something.

 
At 05 February, 2009, Blogger Kim Fernandez said...

I gave up beef 10 years ago. Know what the best substitute is?

Chicken.

True dat. Chicken in regular chili recipes (chunked up, not ground). Ground chicken in lasagne. Chicken burgers, although both the Jenny-O turkey burgers and Amy's veggie burgers are delicious. Chicken works in every beef recipe I've tried.

:)

 
At 05 February, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ive had Bison burgers and steak also and although they taste a lil different and a lil different in texture they were yummy! :)

its a good thing ur bday as come already u could have ended up with some more ninjas instead of what you got! hehehe

 
At 05 February, 2009, Blogger Gary's third pottery blog said...

well then, some of us are vegan and as the saying goes, WE taste better....

 
At 05 February, 2009, Blogger Peggy said...

Buffalo tastes better with BBQ sauce!

 
At 05 February, 2009, Blogger furiousBall said...

there are also people that can make dishes without needing to read the box of mac n' cheese. i doubt us no-look mac n' cheese chefs are coveted

how fast does a zebra have to run before it looks gray?

 
At 05 February, 2009, Blogger Gramps said...

But does Hoop add the ingredients alphabetically?

 
At 05 February, 2009, Blogger Bob said...

I was curious about this, so I did a bit of impromtu research.

the beef in the supermarkets should be safe right now, I can't find anything that states that cloned meat has actually made it to market yet. When the FDA issued its report that cloned meat is safe for human consumption and lifted its moratorium, the Dept. of Agriculture requested that the beef producers voluntarily continue the moratorium for the time being. This also applied to dairy products from cloned animals.

As it is - again, from what I've read - the actual cloned animal won't be slaughtered for human consumption (the clones are too expensive) it will be the natural-born offspring of the clones that will be sold for meat.

This info was culled from several articles from several sources. But, don't take my word for it - do your own research.

 
At 05 February, 2009, Blogger Reb said...

Don't give up on Bison just yet...here is a link (I don't know how to embed, sorry)

http://www.bisoncentre.com/recipe/

It is very good for you because it is leaner than beef, but because of that it needs a bit more care in cooking.

 
At 05 February, 2009, Blogger Chris said...

Do you have a co-op grocery in your area? They're a great source of organic meat and dairy and veggies.

 
At 05 February, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cannot be a vegetarian because I love beef too much. I don't care if they've spliced cat genes in it.

Second, buffalo is really good. Hoop screwed it up.

Knot

 
At 05 February, 2009, Blogger Dana said...

Ummmm .... vegetable oil? Really?

 
At 05 February, 2009, Blogger Gin said...

Bison is delish! It's sort of touchy to cook tho. You should find someone who deer hunts and get some venison. Very good for you!

 
At 05 February, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What? Who cares if it's cloned or not!

Beef is beef is beef.



mmmm beef.

 
At 06 February, 2009, Blogger Aunt Jackie said...

Turkey Burgers and Turkey meat for tacos, etc (when properly seasoned) make a great substitute). Although if you begin looking into animal treatment, and the process of nearly ANY food, you will become a vegetarian, I swear.

Just do the best you guys can. Those Veggie burgers are pretty good in my opinion... but I'm a weirdo.

We have some Buffalo meat we bought at Kroger grocery store, it's not too bad. Actually less fatty and more healthy too!!

Have a great weekend!

 
At 06 February, 2009, Blogger Knight said...

I really like Bison but I can't imagine eating it with vegetable oil. What a waste. I think Hoop should give it another try.

 
At 06 February, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love me some manatees. But not to eat!

 
At 06 February, 2009, Blogger LL said...

Stick to the beef. If you want to boycott something for that, boycott the government...

 
At 06 February, 2009, Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

Love the manatee pics. And, bison sounds yucky. We stopped eating red meat about 5 months ago. Not for vegetarian reason, purely healthy reasons.

In response to your question about my doggie. The black and tan one comes up to my thigh and is about 22 lbs. She is tall and skinny. Not rat terrier material. She looks more whippetish to us. She was a stray from the pound so who knows? She is mutt squared!

 
At 06 February, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I try to eat veggie burgers, but they just aren't the same. *sigh*

Still laughing about throwing a little kid in with the manatees...

 
At 06 February, 2009, Blogger HalfAsstic.com said...

Soooo... you're recommending that I NOT buy the ninjas? ;-)

 
At 07 February, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like buffalo, personally. :)

thanks for linking my ninjas!

 
At 07 February, 2009, Blogger Woman in a Window said...

Awwww. I guess I can't get the ninjas then...

God, you crack me up!

 
At 07 February, 2009, Blogger the Bag Lady said...

No need to boycott beef... pretty sure they aren't going to be butchering the cloned animals anytime soon.

As a beef producer, I'd offer to sell you some of our natural, grass-fed organic beef, but dang, you live so far away, and getting it across the border might cause a few problems.
How big is your backyard? How about if I sell you a calf to raise? :)

 
At 07 February, 2009, Blogger Jen said...

Buffalo rocks the cassbar! I've had the burgers and the steaks and they've been fantastic, but I do not believe they were made with veggie oil. To be fair to Hoop, this is how chefs are born - trial and error. At least he cooks for you that alone would make me happy!

 
At 09 February, 2009, Blogger mamatulip said...

O.M.F.G.

Vegetable oil?

LMAO!!!

 
At 09 February, 2009, Blogger Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

Vegetable oil? For heaven's sake, why? Poor Bison burgers. LOL!

 
At 12 February, 2009, Blogger fiwa said...

I've always wondered what Bison tasted like. Stands to reason it wouldn't be the same as beef - it's not beef. Remember when your parents (or at least mine did) would try to pass venison off as beef? Remember how there was no mistaking the difference in flavor?

About the vegetable oil - I know Hoop was using it to fry the burgers - I recommend canola. Not that you asked - but I think vegetable oil gets a funny smell when it gets hot. Canola is tasteless to me - and it's one of the good for you oils. Unlike peanut oil which I had been using for a year before I found out it was bad for you. :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home