Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Honeymoon: Day 3 (Continued)

(Click for larger pictures or visit my Flickr page.)

I didn't think we were going to make it to the Mayan ruins in time. We had two hours left until we were due back on the boat, and we weren't even sure where we were in relation to it. "We can make it!" Hoop yelled over his shoulder as we flew across bumpy roads butted by blue water and palm tree forests. I leaned forward to reply and was instantly hit in the mouth by his tears. I turned to rest my head on his shoulder instead and watched as the wind whipped the water from his eyes and out to sea. A short time later I was roused by the sight of more scooters. Some of them were being ridden by other tourists.

You could tell they were tourists because they, like us, were wearing helmets. Cozumel locals apparently don't believe in helmets... or weight limits... or physics. At one point I saw a four person family piled on one bike. They flew down the street as if something softer than concrete were below them. The Father was up front driving while the Mother was seated on the back juggling their two small children. The smallest, still in diapers, balanced on her arm like it was a beam. I tried not to think about them later, to imagine what fate that kind of lifestyle could bring them. But it haunts me still.

One hour and thirty minutes until departure, Hoop and I finally rode up on the main gate for the Mayan ruins. What we didn't realize was that the road beyond the gate was filled with potholes, fallen tree limbs, and about three miles long. I closed my eyes through most of it.

That's not it. But it sure FELT like it! This is a picture of the original walking path to the main temple. I can't remember the function of most of these buildings. Some were temples. Others were houses. The ones below were decorative, if I remember correctly.




A couple pictures of us...



Hoop claimed this one for himself.

These are my favorites...




The entire time we were walking, Hoop kept freaking out about the mosquitoes. He was convinced he was going to get Malaria. Fortunately, another family of tourists ahead of us had bug repellent. I only wish they'd had annoying-tourist repellent too. Once we started talking to them, we just couldn't shake them. The daughter spent the next half hour complaining about their cruise ship. Finally, Hoop and I ducked behind a ruin and then ran off in the opposite direction. I had suggested knocking the girl unconscious with an ancient Mayan pillar. But we decided we didn't want to spend the rest of our honeymoon jailed in Mexico.

After the ruins, Hoop and I flew back on our little yellow scooter in the direction we believed our cruise ship was. After avoiding three near accidents (Cozumel locals apparently don't believe in traffic signals either), we got back to the port with ten minutes to spare. The guy at the scooter depot practically yanked us off the bike as we pulled in. We had just enough time to grab souvenir stickers and run to the dock. Overall, it was an amazing adventure. Cozumel was hands down my favorite port. Hoop disagrees. But then again, he was the one driving. All I had to do was close my eyes and try not to hyperventilate.

The next stop was Belize, which was amazing for entirely different reasons.

More on that soon... Well, soon-ish.

Labels:

15 Comments:

At 10 December, 2008, Blogger Gary's third pottery blog said...

dang I am JEALOUS!!!!!!!!! wish I could have gone too... :)

 
At 10 December, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you made it to the ruins. I'm trying to not focus on the close calls with time. Because blogging isn't supposed to be stressful!

The families ride that way in China, except they do it on bicycles.

 
At 10 December, 2008, Blogger Knight said...

How exciting! I would love to see the ruins myself. Too bad tourists are everywhere. It ruins the magic.

 
At 10 December, 2008, Blogger Jay said...

I would love to go see the ruins too. But, I think I would like to spend more time there. And I would like to go during the off season. Tourists suck.

 
At 10 December, 2008, Blogger the planet of janet said...

the ruins look amazing.

you do like to live dangerously, though. nothing like cramming the cool stuff into a very very small window of time! and yet, you had time to take fabbo pix too.

 
At 11 December, 2008, Blogger g-man said...

Nice pictures. Was hoop doing wheelis ?

Sounds like a lovely time. Cant wait for Belize.

 
At 11 December, 2008, Blogger Chris said...

Wow, those pictures are amazing!

 
At 11 December, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was a teenager the whole Central/South American culture thing with the Mayans and the Incas, Aztecs etc. bored me to tears. But as I get older I find it fascinating. They just disappeared. Supposedly pretty advanced people. Like we are all that civilized.

You guys are a cute couple.

You reminded me of that scene from Dumb and Dumber on the scooter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKRtdgQhVbw

Knot

 
At 11 December, 2008, Blogger Woman in a Window said...

How cool!

And then this, "balanced on her arm like it was a beam" was perfect. Totally f'n perfect. Poetry from Tink!

I've been thinking about the safety issue (and now I'm discovering why it takes me so long to get through my reader, I like sit and think about your stories for 20 minutes. Dude, I need help!) and I was thinking this, maybe we just coddle our kids so much in North America that we're stealing other survival instincts from them, setting them up to fail later. Or maybe we're saving them from one fate (head injury) to just have them peril at the hands of another. I don't know. I did a bit of traveling long ago and I marveled at the fact that people seemed to live through some of the shit that poor countries serve up. Just thinking some more...now it's 30 minutes for one post!

 
At 11 December, 2008, Blogger Peggy said...

You can't escape bad tourists - even here! They're everywhere saying cringingly stupid things OUT LOUD! You were lucky to escape when you did!

Love the photos and the recap of your vacation!

 
At 11 December, 2008, Blogger Gramps said...

I've always put "killed by Mayan ruins" very high on my list of Perfect Ways to Die.

 
At 11 December, 2008, Blogger Fortune Cookies said...

what a spectacular honeymoon! Great photos, but I'm sure the memories are even better.

 
At 11 December, 2008, Blogger ETK said...

Tink, I love reading these and seeing your pictures...but...

I really can't handles the stress and anticipation! I need to know why Belize was so amazing!!! NOW!

 
At 12 December, 2008, Blogger Alex said...

Tink, I just wanted to say you really are an exceptionally beautiful woman.

I love that you post more pictures these days. :)

 
At 12 December, 2008, Blogger captain corky said...

"But we decided we didn't want to spend the rest of our honeymoon jailed in Mexico."

Probably a very good idea. I hear the food's terrible in those joints.

Remember the episode of the Love Boat when Captain Stubbing and company got held up on an island and Gopher had to take over as Captain of the Pacific Princess? Or am I just making that up as I type...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home