Monday, January 07, 2008

The Gown

I said I'd have a "Good-bye December" post for you today.

What was I thinking?!

I got to quirk number five before zoning out for fifteen minutes and then calling it quits. Mondays just aren't suitable for big projects or nasty arguments. That's why I avoid both at all costs until at least Tuesday... Wednesday preferably. So I'll have that post for you on Wednesday, m'kay? Remember, no arguing! Instead, I'm going to share with you something that happened to me this weekend that will probably go down as one of my fondest memories ever.

Saturday morning, Mom and Grandma picked me up for a shopping trip. After hours of driving, on top of an already late start, I was getting anxious to reach our destination. Then the ladies decided it was time for lunch. The whole thing seemed rather odd. Then, just after ordering our food, Grandma disappeared. "She's probably using the bathroom, Mom said. Ten minutes later, Grandma appeared. "I'm just going to run to the restroom," she told me. I stared at Mom in confusion. "But didn't she just-?" Mom shrugged. I put it out of my mind.

After lunch Mom "mistakenly" pulled into a shopping center near the mall. "Oops, wrong turn!" We made loops through the parking lot. "What are we doing?" I finally asked as we pulled into a parking space. "You have a two o'clock appointment," She said, pointing at the bridal shop. "I called at lunch to confirm," Grandma piped in. The two ladies stared at me and grinned. I felt my face flush. It took a minute to get words to come out of my open mouth. "You mean... You tricked me? I had no idea!" Apparently, I get my sneakiness naturally.

Knowing I wouldn't make an appointment myself, I LOATHE trying on clothes (especially in front of an audience), Mom and Grandma had decided to take matters into their own hands. They also knew I couldn't afford a dress, which had done nothing but add to my wedding planning anxiety. They told me they would buy my wedding dress for my birthday. Which is really ridiculous if you consider how much a gown costs. But they knew I couldn't and wouldn't argue. So I took it as the sweet gift it was.

In we went. I was shaking at the sight of all that white. "I'm so nervous!" I whispered to them as our attendant whisked me away to a dressing room. At first I was confused by all the layers, zippers, and ties. It took me forever to figure out where my head went in and where my arms went out. I shuffled out of the room, holding my jiggly bits in, and said to the attendant "Help!" After she was done shifting things about, Mom and Grandma looked on with misty eyes. "You look BEAUTIFUL!" They said.

Oddly, despite the initial nervousness and confusion, I FELT beautiful. There was something about trying those dresses on that made this wedding seem real. Like it wasn't just a date and list of To-Do's. I tried on five dresses in all before we found "The One". In fact, it was the LAST one. "It's discontinued and on sale," the attendant told us. "Discontinued?" Mom said. "On Sale?" My eyes lit up. "Let's not be too hasty," Grandma said. So I tried on a couple more dressed as my ladies guarded the chosen gown.

Evidently, as I found out later, another Mom further down had also wanted my dress. "I want that as soon as she's out of it!" She'd hissed. "Do NOT let that woman get our dress!" Mom had hissed back. After all was said and done, the discontinued dress had won over all the rest. So now I have my wedding gown! But the best part of all was having the women in my family there. It meant the world to me. I hadn't expected such an outpouring of love and support. No matter what else happens with this wedding, that will forever be one of my favorite memories.

Labels: ,

42 Comments:

At 07 January, 2008, Blogger furiousBall said...

Hey that's kick ass. Seriously.

This marks the first time a man has ever commented that trying on a wedding gown was kick ass. A declaration normally reserved for Chuck Norris, cars blowing up, and hits across the middle by a linebacker.

 
At 07 January, 2008, Blogger Karen said...

Congrats! I did the familial dressing shopping thing with my sis in law when my brother was getting married. And it was such an important day. I decided during that trip that if/when I get married, I would have elope because trying on wedding dresses is not someting one can do if one's mother is not around.

I am so happy you found "the one" and I cannot wait to see how beautiful you look in it.

 
At 07 January, 2008, Blogger Lynnea said...

That's f'n beautiful. I love your Mom and Grandma!

Oh and I had this vision of a grandmotherly woman jumping that other mother and pulling hair to keep hold of the dress for you. Just my weird imagination.

 
At 07 January, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww yay! I hate trying on clothes too, but dresses are always fun :) especially THE dress.

Do we get to see what it looks like?

 
At 07 January, 2008, Blogger R.E.H. said...

Aw... speaking of surprise shopping, huh?

That was a great thing of your mom and grandma to do.

I'm sure you look absolutely stunning in that dress... can't wait for the wedding pics!

I enjoyed the potential brawl in there too ;)

 
At 07 January, 2008, Blogger Candy said...

Oh my god, what a story. Had my weepy. What great ladies, your mom and grandma seem to be.

 
At 07 January, 2008, Blogger Jay said...

That's very cool. They totally tricked you and for a good reason instead of a bad one. LOL

Of course, we are all very much waiting anxiously to see you in that dress!

 
At 07 January, 2008, Blogger Peggy said...

What a nice thing to happen! I bought my wedding dress by myself. I think it would have been fun to have my sisters with me. Naturally, I'd love to have a peek at it . . . .

 
At 07 January, 2008, Blogger Reb said...

That is so sweet! I'm glad you didn't have to brawl about the dress though. The potential was enough to make it exciting.

 
At 07 January, 2008, Blogger Allison Horner said...

YAY! Girl, I am so excited for you! The wedding dress & rings are just the beginning, eh?

I can't wait to read more about your planning as the year goes on. I can't remember, did you 2 pick a date?

YAY!!!

 
At 07 January, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwww...I'm getting all teary eyed here. Do we get a sneak peek? If we promise not to let Hoop see???

 
At 07 January, 2008, Blogger Sparkling Red said...

Wedding dresses really are magical, the way they make you feel suddenly transformed. I'm happy for you. :-)

 
At 07 January, 2008, Blogger Freakazojd said...

Oh yay! Congratulations on finding your dress - and in one shopping trip, too...that ROCKS! I'd love to see it too, but I'm sure posting it on the web would probably not be on the top of your list of "How to hide the wedding dress from Hoop." ;)

 
At 07 January, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That rocks!! Almost made my day in a strange way. But....but...where are the pictures? I want visual aid! And where do you get off having jiggly bits? Please. I'll show you jiggly. *L*

I am deeply happy for you, what a relief to have it out of the way!

 
At 07 January, 2008, Blogger meno said...

Laughing happily at you shopping for a wedding dress with the hissing cockroaches.

Pictures? Or maybe we better wait until the wedding?

 
At 07 January, 2008, Blogger Mignon said...

That's the best Trying on a Wedding Dress tale I've ever heard. Did you guys go out for a celebratory toast afterwards? If not, Here's to You! I'm toasting my cold coffee to you and the Tink Matriarchy.

 
At 07 January, 2008, Blogger Chris said...

Oh man, that is So. Fabulous. Your mom and grandma rock! Hey, my dress was also discontinued and on sale. Don't let that scary you! ;)

 
At 07 January, 2008, Blogger Kell said...

That's the most wonderful story! I've got that weird this-is-so-sweet grin on my face.

 
At 07 January, 2008, Blogger Hilary said...

Aww what a truly tender story.

 
At 07 January, 2008, Blogger ETK said...

That is awesome! i can not WAIT to see it!!! Congrats!! (I wrote a much more clever comment but damn ol' blogger deleted it). I'm so happy for you! I wanna see I wanna see I wanna see!!!

 
At 07 January, 2008, Blogger geenalyn said...

that is awesome, the whole sneakiness and having your family with you.

When i went to find my dress, my bestfriend took me. I tried on a bunch of dresses, and i remember one, both the attendent and my BF fell in love with on me, and it looked nice but was totally out of my price range (i was a poor college girl, working in a daycare center about to leave the country lol). Then i put on my dress and fell in love...as soon as i saw myself in it tears sprung to my eyes...for less then $500 i had my wedding dress :)

 
At 07 January, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All that hissing!

~Jef

 
At 07 January, 2008, Blogger Gin said...

Awwwww...that's just too sweet!

Ginni

 
At 07 January, 2008, Blogger Pamer said...

i'm so excited for you!!!! Imagine me jumping up and down and giggling like a school girl.

But seriously...cooool

 
At 07 January, 2008, Blogger CRUSTY MOM-E said...

your story has me remembering my day but saddened that I didn't have my mom with..she was in another state too busy with life.

Great story, PB!
Always,
Crusty~

 
At 07 January, 2008, Blogger Jen said...

I always tell people who are to be wedded, "you'll know the dress when you find it."

I'm glad you did. It's even better that you had your mom and grandmother were there.

. . . waiting to hear more details.

 
At 07 January, 2008, Blogger cmacc said...

Good for you for sticking to your guns and getting the one you really felt right in. I too, only tried on a few before finding "the one" and it was on sale and fit. What a great feeling! Can't wait to see what it looks like! You must be so pumped!

 
At 07 January, 2008, Blogger the planet of janet said...

tink, that is the sweetest story ever. your mom and grandmother totally rock. what a great way to get you the dress of your dreams.

 
At 07 January, 2008, Blogger Jo said...

What a lovely way to find your perfect princess dress! Three generations of women sharing in this beginning...it's so beautiful. I'm glad you shared this story, it warmed my heart.

 
At 08 January, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I smiled like an idiot through that entire post.

That is a very sweet and cute story and CONGRATS ON FINDING A DRESS.

Now if you only had the best DJ in the northeast lined up....

 
At 08 January, 2008, Blogger jeanne_bean said...

What a great Finding The Dress story! Your mom and grandma ROCK! I'm looking forward to hearing more details as you and Hoop plan your big day. Congrats!

 
At 08 January, 2008, Blogger Terri said...

how sweet; kudos to mom and g'ma! I love that story.

 
At 08 January, 2008, Blogger g-man said...

Aw, that was sweet. I stayed as FAR away from that dress process as possible. I made it unscathed. :)

 
At 08 January, 2008, Blogger Nettie said...

You have wonderful women in your life. I'm so happy for you, finding the dress is the hardest part.

 
At 08 January, 2008, Blogger fiwa said...

Tink, that is the sweetest story. I bet you looked gorgeous, I can just imagine. Your mom and grandma did good, and what a great memory. *sniff* HUGS!

 
At 08 January, 2008, Blogger Newt said...

Oh honey, once you have the dress, the rest is easy. That's a fabulous story. Awwwwwww. What a nice gift. I say again, Awwwwww.

 
At 08 January, 2008, Blogger Cary McNeal said...

Screw the story, that dress was HOT!! =)

j/k.. great story too. Your mamandem sound very sweet.

Many congrats on this special day, and the one to come.

Your dude's gonna flip his wig when he sees you coming down the aisle, sugarplum.

 
At 08 January, 2008, Blogger Pamer said...

damn I missed the dress

 
At 09 January, 2008, Blogger Blank said...

That is a fantastic story.

 
At 09 January, 2008, Blogger Christy said...

I saw the secret vault post and just wanted to tell you you are stunning. Mine was very similar and I loved it!

 
At 09 January, 2008, Blogger HAR said...

I loved this post Tink. Nothing beats a thoughtful gesture like this and a special memory with your mom. Grandma. Good for you!

Bad for the hag that wanted your dress.

 
At 11 January, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tink...
Be glad you have such a wonderful memory and treasure it. Writing it on your blog is a great way to preserve it. I got all teary-eyed reading your post. My experience was nothing like that. I had to practically bribe my mom to go with me, because trying on a dress when you can't walk is like WWIII -- especially with those 50 lb dresses. Strangely enough, my dress was also discontinued and on sale when I found it too! Because I can't part with it, it's still in the bag in my closet. I'm an sentimental goof. Did you set a date? *hugs*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home