Thursday, December 27, 2007

Packing Up The Mistletoe

Weekend Recap:
1. Working for a beer distributor during this time of year sucks.
2. Not only is it the end of the month, but it's the end of the quarter AND the end of the year. Oh, and let's not forget that New Years is coming up too.
3. All week the receptionist and I have been putting on a show for the rest of the staff.
Receptionist: Shoot me.
Tink: Not unless you shoot me first.
Receptionist: How about we shoot each other at the same time.
Tink: Just make sure you aim for the head. I don't want to be a damn paraplegic.
Receptionist: Think they'd still make us work?
Tink: Probably.
Receptionist: Fuck.
4. Friday night Hoop and I watched one of my favorite holiday movies, "
Love Actually".
5. That movie always makes me want to have an accent.
5 1/2. A REAL one. Not the fake kind my Mom and I use while bored in lines.
6. Christmas Eve, Hoop and I convened at his Grandmother's house.
7. Because AG's funeral had only been two weeks ago, most of the family that had attended it decided not to come down until the day after Christmas. I thought that was pretty shitty.
8. We made the most of it though. Hoop and I got Red Lobster take-out and then we all munched on the Russian chocolates we'd bought for Hoop's Grandmother.
9. Hoop's new favorite love, besides me he says, are these little Russian cookies.

10. It's probably a good thing they don't list calories or fat content on them. We've almost cleared two pounds!
11. After dinner we drove over to my parents house where Mom, Papa Bear, Lil Bit, Big Bit, Grandma, and Grandpa were making Smores over the fire.
12. This was followed by cookies and pies aplenty.
13. Just the thought of all those sweets makes me want to hurl red and green. I think I've officially OD'd on Christmas feasts.
14. 5 o'clock Christmas morning, the boys woke us up to ask if it was too early to sound the alarm. Even at 13 and 15 they haven't lost the charm of "Santa's come!"
15. For the next few hours we took turns opening presents and exclaiming over each other's goodies.
16. I got an IPod Nano from Hoop, some clothes, a Halloween themed punch bowl, and a wedding band.
17. That's right, I got a wedding band! Mom realized Hoop and I were low on funds, so she went ahead and donated the diamond band to the ring I used to borrow and wear on my right hand.
18. Hoop got an air hockey table. It was too heavy to move out of Papa Bear's truck, so I just wrapped the pushers. The look of confusion and then shock on his face as he realized what they were was PRICELESS.
19. I totally blew my budget on that little beauty. But I thought with all the crap that Hoop has been through this year, he needed something wonderful.
20. One of the highlights of the day was opening my present from Big Bit. He'd taped two glass ornaments to the inside of a shoebox and then placed two butter knives inside. When I shook the box, the ornaments shattered. For a few minutes they had me believing I'd broken something.
21. Next year I'm going to booby-trap ALL their presents!
22. The second highlight was opening my present from Hoop. He'd wrapped the IPod 30-something times. It took me over twenty minutes just to get through the wrapping. By the time I was done, I was laughing/crying so hard I could barely make out what I'd gotten.
23. The third highlight was delivering care packages to all the people working around town. We decided it wasn't enough just to boycott buying things on Christmas, which enables companies to keep their employees working on the holidays. These people deserved to be spoiled too.
24. Grandma says that next year she's going to donate to the cause. So hopefully we'll have double the provisions. I'm thinking of trying to make it an international thing. You guys in?
25. Also, that cute puppy you saw in yesterdays post is NOT ours. She's the dog of the same guy who nearly burned down his apartment with the fireplace. Hoop would kill me if I brought home another "baby".

So what did you all do/get?

Labels:

24 Comments:

At 27 December, 2007, Blogger furiousBall said...

I won a Nano at work and it's the best thing that's ever happened to me.

I mean besides the kids.

 
At 27 December, 2007, Blogger Karen said...

Sounds like an awesome Christmas. I want some of those Russian cookies right now. And Love Actually is one of my favorite holiday movies also.

 
At 27 December, 2007, Blogger Chris said...

You guys always have so much fun! :)

A local blogger and her husband did a very cool "gift" distribution.

 
At 27 December, 2007, Blogger Jay said...

Booby trapping presents is a great idea. I might steal that one from you next year.

I love my iPod Nano. I took the Wal-Mart gift card that my grandmother gave me and used it to buy an ac charger so I can charge it anywhere I want without having to hook it up to my computer.

Russian cookies? I want some. Cookies are great!

I'm pretty much sick of Christmas goodies too. I swear I'm ready for just basic everyday meals with vegetables and stuff like that. LOL

 
At 27 December, 2007, Blogger fiwa said...

Ohmygod, I LOVE this post. I love that you and Hoop went to his Grandma's house for Christmas Eve, that was probably exactly what she needed. I love that your Mom gave you a band, that's so sweet. I love the air hockey table for Hoop - that was such a good idea! I remember how excited you were about coming up with that. I love the ornaments and butter knife thing, I am so going to pull that stunt on every_one_I_know! And I love your idea of taking Christmas gifts to people who have to work on the holiday. That is the coolest thing I have ever heard of, and I can just imagine how great you made those people feel. You and Hoop are good people.
Love,
fiwa

 
At 27 December, 2007, Blogger Sparkling Red said...

I'm glad that you thought your multi-wrapped gift was so great. One time I played that trick on one of my relatives and I got in trouble for it. My family just thought it was annoying. Spoilsports!

 
At 27 December, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohmygod, I LOVE this post. I love that you and Hoop went to his Grandma's house for Christmas Eve, that was probably exactly what she needed. I love that your Mom gave you a band, that's so sweet. I love the air hockey table for Hoop - that was such a good idea! I remember how excited you were about coming up with that. I love the ornaments and butter knife thing, I am so going to pull that stunt on every_one_I_know! And I love your idea of taking Christmas gifts to people who have to work on the holiday. That is the coolest thing I have ever heard of, and I can just imagine how great you made those people feel. You and Hoop are good people.
Love,
fiwa Oops, I meant Susan...it's just that she said exactly what I would say perfectly!!

 
At 27 December, 2007, Blogger Kell said...

Sounds like an awesome Christmas. This was a wonderful post to read. I loved the air hockey gift. You rock!

 
At 27 December, 2007, Blogger fiwa said...

lol... I had to come back and read Susan's comment. That cracked me up. See Tink? You just inspire so much love. :)

 
At 27 December, 2007, Blogger meno said...

Booby trapping presents? Here are some ideas.

One year we put a ticking clock inside a present.

Go to a party favor store and get some of those little bottle things that explode when you pull the string. Then wrap the present so that the string hangs out. Put a sign on it that says "Pull string to open"

Yes, i have done this. Works great too.

 
At 27 December, 2007, Blogger Gordo said...

I LOVE the booby-trap, Tink. My brother-in-law is a present-shaker and it drives his wife nuts that she can't surprise him. I'll be passing that one along. :-)

We had a frozen supermarket pizza for dinner tonight. It was heavenly. :-)

 
At 27 December, 2007, Blogger Sunshine said...

I'm telling the time in style. That's my fav.
And your mom rocks.

 
At 27 December, 2007, Blogger R.E.H. said...

Hoop is one lucky dude... an airhockey game for Christmas - I love airhockey!

And the booby-trapped gift. What a great idea that was!

I once wrapped a gift-card, tied to a brick, in several boxes to make it look like a big present. That's about how fun and creative I am ;)

 
At 27 December, 2007, Blogger mamatulip said...

LOL at Big Bit booby-trapping your present! That's hilarious!

Sounds like a pretty good Christmas, Tink. :)

 
At 27 December, 2007, Blogger Newt said...

Booby-trapped presents, that's bloody fantastic!

 
At 27 December, 2007, Blogger Allison Horner said...

Very cool you got the Nano! I got one (a Product (RED) one) for Hubby last year & he loves it. This year I gave him a matching JBL speaker for it. He was surprised...


Hubby got me some awesome Chanel perfume, bath & body stuffs, a cute pink fuzzy bath robe, knee high black leather boots, and a "10 Years of Godsmack" CD. (LOVE ME some Godsmack!) I was surprised!

We both went over the budget we set...shocker.....

I was also stoked about the new set of REAL ADULT wine glasses that my sis got me. By REAL, I mean not like the cheap@ass-Garden-Ridge-not-the-best-for-red-wine ones I was using before. These are the BIG goblets that actually let the wine breath. Now I actually look like a REAL wino. ;)

LOVE the prank idea....I may have to steal that one.....

I, too, LOVE the idea of sending gifts to those working on Christmas. Awesome!

 
At 27 December, 2007, Blogger Blank said...

Sounds like a lovely Christmas. I'm thinking you should have your own TV show, kind of like a modern Waltons or something. Only funnier.

 
At 27 December, 2007, Blogger the planet of janet said...

when i got my ipod, my husband wrapped it inside about 12 different boxes...and the last one was EMPTY. he had made a false bottom on the box. i had to turn it upside down to find my gift. it was amazing.

also amazing? the idea of delivering care packages to people who have to work on christmas. i would totally do that next year!

 
At 28 December, 2007, Blogger mrspao said...

I'm now thinking of what I can do. We used to live close to a homeless shelter in Canterbury.

I love that you got your wedding ring for Christmas - that is a wonderful and generous present.

 
At 28 December, 2007, Blogger Christy said...

It has become a tradition of sorts for me to read some of your posts to my husband. You are an excellent writer of descriptive dialogue.

I received the movie "Monkey Business" and season one of "Two and a Half Men" plus some books. My favorite gift so far has been a oomputer game that I have become obsessed with...Cake Mania. Man I'm OCD.

 
At 28 December, 2007, Blogger Tawcan said...

Sounds like a fun Christmas. I laughed about your conversation with the receptionist.

I just got bunch new clothes. They're much needed.

 
At 28 December, 2007, Blogger Unknown said...

SOunds like an awesome Christmas....I may need to booby trap some gifts next year just for the heck of it.
Frost some sponges and serve the kids sponge cake once....it is hilarious!!!!!

I got a cold for Christmas, so much fun.

 
At 28 December, 2007, Blogger Peggy said...

I am stealing the booby-trapped present idea! It sounds like you guys managed to get the right balance of fun, family togtherness and charity. You're fast becoming an inspiration!

 
At 28 December, 2007, Blogger Molly said...

Love Actually is one of my favorite movies. I am always deighted to find another person that enjoys the movie too. We watched it on Christmas day. What a nice idea delivering care packages to workers on the holiday.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home