Thursday, July 03, 2008

The End Of A Love Affair

I'm breaking up with Yahoo Answers.

I posted my question on their site this morning and they shut me down!

Pfft, as if I needed more votes anyway. I think it's pretty clear who's going to win. But, what can I say? I'm a poll whore. Secretly, I just wanted to see how many strangers I could drag (willingly) into my wedding madness. Five minutes after I'd posted the question, someone came and flagged me (TWICE) for inappropriate contest / spam. So then Yahoo yanked my legitimate question off the site and docked me twenty points. Twenty points! Srsly?

The point system really pisses me off anyway. The whole thing reeks of a 10th grade popularity contest. You get two measly points every time you answer a question, ten points on the off chance you get voted for best answer, and minus five points if you dare to ask a question. Then, people get to judge you on how much they liked your answers. It doesn't have to make sense either. Sometimes people will give a thumbs down to a perfectly good answer just because it isn't what they wanted to hear.

"I'll just email the administrator," I thought at first. "They'll sort this out for me." But really, it's hard to rationalize a situation like this when there are questions on the site like, "My fiance's father called me a 'WOLF BREASTED VAGINA' what does that mean?" Surely that's more offensive than, "What color invitations should I get?" After a couple of hours the administrator-bot finally emailed me back. Enclosed was a copy of the site policy and a manufactured apology. But they weren't going to retract the action. Asshats.

I shouldn't care. I really shouldn't. But it's the principle of the thing!

The Cleaning Lady's Daughter:

The little girl's name is Amelia. I feel better for knowing it, somehow.

I came in to work yesterday and was immediately disappointed that there wasn't a note on my desk. I had been sure that there would be that day. After double checking the cabinet and both shelves, I came back to the desk and wheeled out my chair. There is was, folded neatly on the seat. I opened the page and a smaller one fell out. The smaller one was from the girl, Amelia. She wrote:

Thank you so so much for my paper pad. Ive been felling real sad because my brother had to go back to Washington so Ive been sad for the last day. Thank you so much I will use it everyday and all the time. THANK YOU!! Love, Amelia.

The bigger note was from her Mom. It read:

Thank you for the nice note. I knew Amelia was leaving notes on ---'s desk, however I didn't know she was leaving them on yours as well. Amelia had been coming with me for the past few weeks and was feeling sad because her stepbrother moved back to Washington. However, she shouldn't have been leaving notes on people's desks. Anyways, that was very sweet of you to give her sticky notes. Thank you so much.

I have a feeling I won't be getting notes anymore.

But it was fun while it lasted.

Labels: , ,

23 Comments:

At 03 July, 2008, Blogger Jay said...

Yahoo answers is entirely to complicated for me. Hell, I struggle with the forums that do the +1 or -1 thingy.

Maybe your new friend will still leave you an occasional note.

 
At 03 July, 2008, Blogger Chris said...

Pooey on Yahoo Answers! Aw, poor Amelia.

 
At 03 July, 2008, Blogger Lynnea said...

Yahoo Answers is just not good enough for you. It's better that you broke with them now. There are plenty of fish in the sea...

 
At 03 July, 2008, Blogger the planet of janet said...

poor amelia. i'm so glad you gave her a moment of happiness :-)

 
At 03 July, 2008, Blogger gary rith said...

hey, happy weekend all!

 
At 03 July, 2008, Blogger Woman in a Window said...

What a sweet and lonely little girl. I'd like to just hug her and surprise her with her step-brother in a paper bag. Just leave him on your seat on Monday.

 
At 03 July, 2008, Blogger HalfAsstic.com said...

Aaaawww. Poor Amelia. I wish you could continue to correspond with her from time to time. And Yahoo is run by a bunch of...do I dare say it...YAHOOS!

 
At 03 July, 2008, Blogger Hilary said...

Amelia.. so sweet. Yahoo.. not so much.

 
At 04 July, 2008, Blogger Reb said...

Poor Amelia, I am glad she liked the notes. Yahoo is weird, what is with those points anyway? Can you do anything with them?

 
At 04 July, 2008, Blogger Reb said...

Happy 4th, btw.

 
At 04 July, 2008, Blogger mrspao said...

Silly Yahoo - they sound bizarre!

Yay for Amelia - she sounds so sweet. It's a shame you probably won't be getting any more notes.

 
At 04 July, 2008, Blogger Mary said...

What a sweet girl. I hope you DO still get notes tho...

 
At 04 July, 2008, Blogger captain corky said...

Dear Tink,
Fear not. You will still get notes from me once or twice a week. I will leave them here for your convenience.

Sincerely,
Captain Corky.

 
At 04 July, 2008, Blogger Tink said...

Cork Aw, thanks man. I knew I could count on you.

Reb NO. It's totally pointless! If I were running Yahoo, everyone would get a free happy meal with ever 1,000 points.

Allison: I hope Google eats them. Btw, which daughter can I start calling Amelia?

Halfasstic: Their name suddenly makes so much sense!

WomanInTheWindow: LOL! Oh the mental images you just created.

Maggie: Thank you. I agree. Maybe I should take it the next step with Etsy?

HAPPY 4TH HOMEBLOYS!

 
At 04 July, 2008, Blogger Mike said...

You know what I find annoying, almost as annoying as social networking sites and popularity contests?

Words typed without any vowels.

Srsly.

I think that's one of the reasons I don't like social networking sites.

Friggin Teenagers.

And 40 year olds that think they are teenagers ;)

 
At 04 July, 2008, Blogger Sparkling Red said...

I had no idea Yahoo Answers was so complicated and demanding. :-p on them.

Sweet little note from the girl. Too bad you can't go on being friends.

 
At 04 July, 2008, Blogger LL said...

Awwwwww... Tinkie's got her a little friend...

Keep dropping her a note every now and again, she'll get a kick out of it.

 
At 04 July, 2008, Blogger Tawcan said...

Never really used Yahoo Answer myself. I think Google should come up with a similar system.

 
At 04 July, 2008, Blogger fiwa said...

I still like the green and pink one best! Ok, just had to get my plug in one more time. :)

Regarding the notes - you may not get any more, but I still think you probably made that little girl's day. She'll remember this for a long time - it will probably become one of her "stories". She'll be telling it on her own blog in a few years.

Happy 4th!
fiwa pinkandgreenpinkandgreenpinkandgreenpinkandgreen!!!!

 
At 05 July, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are definitely a special lady, Tink, to care for people the way you do.

 
At 05 July, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess you can add "contributing to the delinquency of a minor" to your resume.

Knot

 
At 05 July, 2008, Blogger Chelle Y. said...

You're too kind, Tink!

 
At 07 July, 2008, Blogger Newt said...

I don't even know what yahoo answers is. I must go see. Oh wait, the last time I checked out something like that I became and Etsy addict. Maybe I should stay away...........Anywhoodle Homebloy I think you should estimate that if she uses them every day she will need another note pad in 30 days. leave something then.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home