Monday, June 23, 2008

Delayed On Account Of Stupidity

The 3rd Annual Blog Header Showdown will start tomorrow, and not today as originally stated. We were without power for most of the weekend and it was all my fault. As I was blow drying my hair Saturday morning, the power went out. Oddly, it didn't dawn on me to think that the two might have anything to do with each other. No. My conclusion was that we were experiencing a brownout. Hoop checked the breakers, but not thoroughly. Because, as I'd told him, we were having electrical problems. So what was the point? It would be back up soon.

Fast forward to last night. -Do you like how I did that? You didn't even have to live through the torture of the whole thing! You're welcome.- Still no power. "Listen," Hoop finally confessed. "I've never heard of a brownout before. But I'm pretty sure our electricity should be back on by now." I had to agreed. "Maybe it's one of the GFCI outlets." I am so fucking brilliant. So we ran around the house looking for reset buttons to press. That's when we realized that our house only has ONE GFCI outlet, and it's not in either of the two bathrooms. Huh. Termites AND shoddy electric work.

After pressing the reset button of the lone GFCI outlet, the electricity still wasn't back on. That's when Hoop decided to go back out to the box. "Oh!" Came his muffled reply a minute later. "This breaker wasn't fully tripped!" Suddenly, the lights came back on. I couldn't decide whether I should be elated or pissed. "Yay!" I shouted, followed by "What the hell, Hoop? I had headers to make tonight!" His smile quickly turned to confusion. "But YOU said it was a brownout." And that's when I realized...

It's not always such a great idea to act like you know what you're talking about.

Because the one time someone decides to listen to you, you're going to be wrong.

Daily Hoop Conversation:
Tink: Wouldn't you say that I'm a pretty independent person?
Hoop: ...Sure you are.
Tink: Why did you hesitate?
Hoop: I didn't hesitate.
Tink: You did to! What, you don't think I'm independent?
Hoop: You're always asking for help.
Tink: With what?
Hoop: The laundry, the dishes, the yard-
Tink: *Smacks Hoop's arm*
Hoop: What? It's TRUE.

TOMORROW: WWC and the start of the 3rd Annual Blog Header Showdown. Yeah, both. I know, I'm crazy. My head is going to blow up one of these days. Btw, don't forget to get your MS Button below if you've participated in Newt and OneDaisy's
Fundraiser.

Labels: , , ,

17 Comments:

At 23 June, 2008, Blogger mrspao said...

I sympathise completely - we moved out of our house with the dodgy electrics which no one seemed to understand even qualified electricians. Although I think the electrician who did this house must have been a bit dumb as the switches are all wired the wrong way round.

 
At 23 June, 2008, Blogger Jay said...

I know a woman who didn't think to check her breaker box for like four whole days when her lights went out once. It never even occurred to her that if her neighbors on both sides of her had power she should also. So, at least you guys are doing better than her. ;-)

 
At 23 June, 2008, Blogger Fortune Cookies said...

Doh! I hate that kind of stuff. well, sometimes a day to two disconnected from electricity is just what you need good for the soul...unless it was 90 degrees outside...man, I hope it was a breezy weekend for you guys!

 
At 23 June, 2008, Blogger mamatulip said...

It's not always such a great idea to act like you know what you're talking about.

It's not? Shee-it. I'm in trouble.

 
At 23 June, 2008, Blogger Woman in a Window said...

ARGH! I know it. I did it last week at work, "Ah, why didn't you all ask me, I know everything that's going on." And then of course...I didn't. If only I coulda just shut up!

 
At 23 June, 2008, Blogger Chris said...

Was it horribly hot and humid all weekend?!

 
At 23 June, 2008, Blogger Mike said...

You guys should, I dunno, take a class or something.

And don't do your own electrical work.

Actually, have a professional remove outlets that are near anything that might be wet.

It's for your own good.

 
At 23 June, 2008, Blogger Hilary said...

Your Tink & Hoop conversations crack me up. You'd make a great morning radio talk show.

 
At 23 June, 2008, Blogger Reb said...

Breakers will frequently not trip all the way over. Best idea is to turn all off, then all back on. How does one breaker turn out your whole house though? Adding electrician to the list are you?

I agree with Hilary, you two would make a great talk show.

 
At 23 June, 2008, Blogger fiwa said...

my god, you must have been so freaking hot all weekend. Well, at least it wasn't something that cost you hundreds of dollars to fix, right?

Lol... I'm glad you smacked Hoop down for that comment. Sounds just like something Clarke would say. ;)

I'm looking forward to the blog header show down - I can't believe the headers you create.

lovins!
fiwa

PS, Notorious B.I.G rocks! I can't wait to listen to all your picks. I'm going to go ahead and confess right now that I've never heard of most of 'em. But that's good - I'm looking for NEW, good music.

 
At 24 June, 2008, Blogger gary rith said...

oh Tink, tell Hoop I said you're perfect....(a married guy learns that is the only answer when asked questions like that)

 
At 24 June, 2008, Blogger g-man said...

LOL!! you're silly.

 
At 24 June, 2008, Blogger Molly said...

Oh, without power in Florida for a whole week-end in the summer, that has to be a bummer. I am looking forward to the 3rd Annual Blog Header Showdown .

 
At 24 June, 2008, Blogger Janet said...

lol I'd laugh at you, but if that ever happened in my house, the fuse box is in the dirt and stone basement with all the spiders and centipedes and I'd have no electricity until I could get someone to come over and reset it ;-)

 
At 24 June, 2008, Blogger Tink said...

Oh no, we had AC. The reason I thought it was a brownout was because we didn't have electricity in half of our house. Fortunately, the kitchen, the laundry room and our bedroom were saved. So, yeah... I'm a dope. :)

 
At 24 June, 2008, Blogger Heather said...

Don't feel so bad. We did this for a whole day before we realized that it was our main breaker that was out. There was a storm, we just figured the power had gone out. Ummm... not so much.

 
At 24 June, 2008, Blogger Aunt Jackie said...

LOL!!! Men... I swear your Daily Hoop conversations need to be made into a Cartoon strip! Can you draw? You really need to consider it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home