Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Angora Goat

When someone gives you an award for saying something quotable, it's important not to sound like a total dumbass in your acceptance post. Which explains why I drew a blank this afternoon when trying to think of clever ways to say how honored I am to receive these...

(Click 'em; they're links)

...from Musing over at
Blogtations, possibly one of the most addictive sites EVER. This said by the chick who spends several hours a week on Etsy, Facebook, Flickr, and Neopets. Yes, I said Neopets. I happen to like the games on there, oh-kay?

While I was sitting here, staring at my empty post and waiting for a muse, something strange happened. I heard beeping. For a moment I wondered if it was all in my head. No one else in the office had even paused from what they were doing to listen to it. Maybe, I thought, I had finally pushed my brain too far and it was just warning me that it was shutting down for good. "Hey! Hey you! I thought you might like to know that you have approximately two minutes before I turn out the lights. Thanks again for the free room and board."

Then I came to my senses, got out of my chair and followed the sound to the dying smoke alarm across the room. "Is anyone going to do anything about this?" I asked the four strapping young men at the main desk. One of them climbed up on the counter, removed the batteries and then climbed back down again. "Problem solved," he said while plopping the warm batteries in my hand. Just peachy. I wonder how many other alarms they've "fixed" in just the same way. Reminder to brain (who has, in fact, NOT vacated yet): Don't keep important things at work anymore.

After I came back to my desk there was still the matter of coming up with a clever post. Maybe I could turn something that rhymes with "quote" into a witty title! No seriously, this was an actual thought. So I looked up the word "quote" in the rhyming dictionary. Did you even know such a thing existed? These were the suggestions it gave me: Angora goat, banana boat, cereal oat, raw throat, mackinaw coat, straw vote, root beer float. Wow. Having a rhyming dictionary is even LESS useful than I thought it would be.

So now that I have blatantly wasted your time and completely strayed from the subject of this post... Go! Check out Musing's blog. You won't be disappointed. Maybe if you're lucky and get an award for saying something clever, YOU won't make a total ass out of yourself during your acceptance post. At the very least, don't mention that you have an unhealthy obsession with a site that features virtual pets for little kids. Even if your "pet" is a cute little red Grundo wearing flaming shoes named Luki. Aw. Thanks again Musing!

Labels: , ,

25 Comments:

At 04 June, 2008, Blogger furiousBall said...

way to get quoted.

 
At 04 June, 2008, Blogger Newt said...

I totally had a Neopet. I even used her image on my website for ages! Love that site.

 
At 04 June, 2008, Blogger the planet of janet said...

woot! i have a quote there too! isn't that the funnest site ever? (yes, funnest is TOO a word!!!!)

 
At 04 June, 2008, Blogger Karen said...

I am excited to check out this site...and just a little wary that you call it addictive.

 
At 04 June, 2008, Blogger Jay said...

I've never heard of this Neopet thing. I wonder if I could possibly squeeze ONE MORE website into my life. I don't know, I may have maxed out. Nawwww

 
At 04 June, 2008, Blogger meno said...

I had an Aisha for a few years until someone hacked my password and stold all my neo-money. Bastards!

 
At 04 June, 2008, Blogger LL said...

You have a neopet? BABE! You cried when you killed a squirrel, how are you going to handle your neopet's demise?

 
At 04 June, 2008, Blogger Chris said...

But see - you can say nothing in such fine and funny fashion. :)

 
At 04 June, 2008, Blogger Woman in a Window said...

Hey, ya, ya, ya, I saw you over there. YYAAAyyyy! And I remembered the yellow quote because it was, just that good!

 
At 04 June, 2008, Blogger the Bag Lady said...

You freakin' crack me up!!!!

 
At 04 June, 2008, Blogger Eric Shonkwiler said...

I did the whole Giga Pet thing. When I was in Junior High.

Burn.

Housemate and I actually played Pokemon 64 or whatever just the other day. So I've got no right to talk.

 
At 05 June, 2008, Blogger Moi said...

I love blogtations! I've been quoted there too. I am humbled to be in your sporktacular (totally a word) company.

Congrats on your angora goat!

 
At 05 June, 2008, Blogger Gordo said...

And an excellent pair of quotes they are.

Now, I know what a Grundo is, but I also have a 10-year-old. :-D

 
At 05 June, 2008, Blogger Foo said...

Nice!

The only way I ever get quoted is when I say something stupid and have it thrown back in my face weeks or months later.

 
At 05 June, 2008, Blogger gary rith said...

the muse has not struck and I have no brilliant comments except: I am soooo tired....

 
At 05 June, 2008, Blogger g-man said...

"(Click 'em; they're links)" I had to laugh!!

Congrats.

 
At 05 June, 2008, Blogger Reb said...

Congrats on the award! Don't worry about the neopets...I am somewhat older than you and have two. I should check out the online site, but the toys themselves are just too addictive!

 
At 05 June, 2008, Blogger Fortune Cookies said...

maybe I'll make a little neopet angora goat wearing a mackinaw coat riding a banana boat!

 
At 05 June, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

I love that you got the award and chuckled through this entire post.
I usually throw my rhyming dictionary and thesaurus at the wall in frsutration when I attempt to use them.

 
At 05 June, 2008, Blogger Christy said...

Awesome quotes. I have to say you would have so been in my high school quote book.

 
At 05 June, 2008, Blogger Sparkling Red said...

How about "premenstrual bloat"? That would have made a catchy title.

 
At 05 June, 2008, Blogger Tequila Mockingbird said...

heh, you have such high hopes for us... ummmmm not make an ass of myself? is that possible?

 
At 06 June, 2008, Blogger Jo said...

Congrats on being quoted!

Why is this Neopets thing so funny to me? My son had one on there when he was 7---crap, I wonder if it died?

 
At 06 June, 2008, Blogger Lynnea said...

ok those suggestions totally make sense to a demented person like me. as in:

the angora goat stood on the banana boat eating his cereal oat with a very raw throat and wishing he'd brought his Mackinaw coat. He was of course, on his way to the straw vote, where he would be sure to order a root beer float.

Congratulations you quotable girl!

 
At 06 June, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can waste my time anytime.
Congrats, girlie!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home