Thursday, July 24, 2008

Movie Junkies

The Dark Knight
I'm not sure this was the right time for Hoop and I to see this movie. Although it was brilliantly filmed and written, it was DARK. Think "The Crow" dark. But don't let that stop you from seeing it. I guarantee it will have you cringing, gasping, laughing, and wanting to quote it later. "You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain." Hoop and I gave this movie four out of five sporks.

Hellboy 2: The Golden Army
The movie was entertaining. I don't feel like we wasted our money; but I don't think we'll be buying it on DVD either. The plot was loose at best, and downright unengaging at its worst. What saved the film was the excellent effects and eye candy. Those golden robots were bad ass. On a separate note, did anyone else think the voice of Abe Sapien sounded like David Pierce from "Frasier"? Yeah, um, me neither. Hoop and I gave this movie three out of five sporks.

Hancock
A lot of people have complained that the storyline of this movie wasn't what they thought it would be. Oh wah. Personally, I like the little twist they threw in. I like that's it not just another superhero movie. I'm telling you this because it's NOT a spoiler. It's a suggestion. If you leave your expectations behind, you're going to enjoy this movie just fine. Oof a rhyme. Hoop and I gave this movie three out of five sporks.

Wall-E
Let me just start by saying that I'm bias. I heart Wall-E in a big way. I liked him even before I saw the movie. I do impressions of his voice. I almost bought a pack of Wall-E stickers yesterday because I'm a 25 year old kid. I gave this movie five out of five sporks. Hoop, on the other hand, only gave it three out of five. He DID like the way they portrayed humans though. I heard him chuckle more than a few times. So maybe we should change his vote to four. Three and a half?

Get Smart
Hoop doesn't technically know that I saw this movie. He thought my Mom and I were going to see "Sex In The City". But we got there late and this movie had the next showing. I didn't exactly complain. I'd really wanted to see this one anyway. I grew up on "Get Smart" reruns. I was not disappointed. Steve Carell plays an excellent Maxwell Smart. I like that he added his own edge to the character and that Max wasn't as dumb as he'd been on the TV series. Anne Hathaway was hot. The age difference between the two wasn't as creepy as I thought it would be. Overall, it was a really cute and funny movie. Go see it with a date. Four out of five sporks.

P.S. Tune in tomorrow for the anniversary of the day Hoop discovered this blog!

Labels:

23 Comments:

At 24 July, 2008, Blogger Peggy said...

I could have gone to see Wall-E on Monday but I had a meeting - I hate being a grown up!

 
At 24 July, 2008, Blogger Tink said...

I also sawHulk, The Happening, Zohan and Iron Man if anyone wants a review on those. :)

 
At 24 July, 2008, Blogger Mary said...

I've only seen Wall-e from your list, but can't wait to see a few others. Dude offer you ALL your movie reviews, you review hoarder!

 
At 24 July, 2008, Blogger J said...

I do want to go see Dark Knight, but its a little too dark for Mrs. J; we'll probably see Hancock tomorrow night, since we both love Will Smith. What did you think of Zohan? It got some pretty good reviews.

 
At 24 July, 2008, Blogger Jay said...

I just got home about 30 mins ago from going to see TDK. I thought it pretty much rocked.

There's several others I want to see, but I'll probably wait until they come out on DVD.

I sure wish we had a theater that still did the $1 movie around here though.

 
At 24 July, 2008, Blogger jean said...

I haven't seen any of them but my son has. How sad is that? Now, I have to say that I thought the voice of Abe Sapien was David Pierce I even bet money on it. Obviously, I lost. Damn kid.

 
At 24 July, 2008, Blogger Tequila Mockingbird said...

i liked dark knight. makes me miss heath ledger. i think it's interesting you compared it to the crow, as both of them have dead actors in them where that movie was their last one.

 
At 24 July, 2008, Blogger Chelle Y. said...

I have not seen TDK yet. I am going next week when my son goes to his dad's wedding.

I loved "Hancock" (but I am a huge Will Smith fan), thought "Wall-E" was adorable, and laughed throughout "Get Smart (but I love dumb humor)."

 
At 24 July, 2008, Blogger Jen said...

TDK was a brilliant film, was it not? The husband and I just watched "Batman Begins" on DVD today. Both films are great!

I felt the same about Hellboy 2 as you and Hoop did. Exactly. I never even thought about David Pierce though. . . what does that say about me?

Haven't seen, Hancock or Wall-E, but do want to.

Loved Get Smart too! I laughed and laughed through it all. Laughter is never a bad thing.

 
At 24 July, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anne Hathaway is hot ... DANG GINA!!! she's hawt! That's all I remember about Get Smart.

Knot

 
At 24 July, 2008, Blogger Woman in a Window said...

You're such a fun 25 year old kid.

 
At 24 July, 2008, Blogger Reb said...

*sigh* I can't afford to go to movies. I have to wait for cable.

 
At 25 July, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Talk you like Wall-E, remember you talk I like Yoda? :)

I'm sure that would be an interesting conversation! lol

 
At 25 July, 2008, Blogger the planet of janet said...

i'm mourning heath ledger all over again. :0(

 
At 25 July, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, Wall-E is wonderful and really ought to be seen on a big screen.
Must. See. Get Smart! (I loved that TV show!)

Tink is better than Siskel & Ebert.

 
At 25 July, 2008, Blogger furiousBall said...

my Mom took my kiddos to see Wall-E yesterday and they dug it.

i demand you post a recording of your Wall-E impersonation

 
At 25 July, 2008, Blogger Chris said...

The Dark Knight is intriguing me...

 
At 25 July, 2008, Blogger gary rith said...

Yeah, I like Steve carrell, Anne H and the Get Smart re-runs too, so I KNOW I am going to like that movie.

 
At 25 July, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

We splurged this past weekend and saw The Dark Knight and Mamma Mia whihc we both enjoyed, we won't get out again to the cinema until later in August, as it is a birthday treat for the kids.
I know Zak wants to see the new Mummy movie.

 
At 25 July, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally heart Wall-e. It goes right up to the top of the list next to ET.

We haven't seen TDK yet...I wanted to wait until the crowds thinned out a bit.

 
At 25 July, 2008, Blogger Janet said...

Yeah...TDK is a bit harsh for you guys right now. But...I LOVED it! Had to laugh at your saying "...wanting to quote it later."; guess what I'm doing Sunday?

I saw all the movies you mentioned but Wall-E, agree with you about Hancock (mmm, what eye candy!), didn't care for Get Smart at all, but again, sweet eye candy (the Rock).

 
At 27 July, 2008, Blogger Me said...

Wasn't going to see Get Smart but you make it sound so delicious.

 
At 29 July, 2008, Blogger Michael Knight Rambo said...

I LOVE your summer reviews and agree with all of them. That being said, you got it all wrong.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home