Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Bon voyage, June

June Hit Statistics:
1. The top referrers were Alien and Krista.
2. The most used search term was, "potato berries."
3. The most mature search term was, "butt flu."
4. The most bizarre search term was, "he did not have the friendly."
5. My favorite search term was "spork him Batman."
6. The highest hit post (204) was on
June 4th, the day I got quoted on Blogtations.

30 Quirks For 30 Days:
1. I don't mind motorcycles... unless they're Harleys.
2. No one buys a Harley to go fast. They buy a Harley to drive 10 miles under the speed limit, taking up both lanes, during rush hour traffic.
3. They might as well buy a really fancy moped.
4. If it were acceptable, I would never wear shoes.
5. I love making sound effects. My new favorite is Wall-E's voice.
6. For me, falling in love with a book is remarkably similar to falling in love with a person.
7. In the beginning, it's impossible to eat or sleep with any frequency. My attention is focused almost to the point of infatuation.
8. I get my heart broken by books too. With a human, you can always hope for more. At the very least, you could Google them later to see what they're up to.
9. With books, it's done when it's done, regardless if you're ready. You'll never know what happened next. You'll never see those characters again.
10. I once stopped reading a book two chapters to the end because I knew the main character was going to die.
11. It was about Cleopatra. Silly, huh? I mean, I KNEW she was going to die from the beginning. But by the end of the book (900 pages later), I couldn't bear to read about her dying. I loved her too much.
12. I hate friendly competition.
13. The only time I like to compete is when something important is at stake.
14. Hoop's family is the exact opposite. They show that they love someone by making them look like an ass. Usually the game is poker. But they'll settle for Risk, putt-putt, horseshoes, video games, and hunting Easter eggs too.
15. My only defense is to lose faster. :)
16. At work, I'll only fix something if someone complains about it three times in six months. I call it my "Rule To Keep From Going Crazy".
17. I have 698 songs on my IPod.
18. I don't own any clothes that are yellow.
19. Sometimes I get scared that nothing remarkable is ever going to happen to me.
20. I love to air dry after a hot shower.
21. Nothing makes me fall asleep faster than a violent storm.
22. It makes me sad that no one from my family asks if I'm going to college anymore.
23. Sadder still, I've even stopped hoping that I will.
24. When I'm really bored, I like to type in random urls to see what kind of information they pull up.
25. When I was little my paternal Grandfather owned a goat named Billy. Billy liked to drink beer with my Grandpa on Sunday evenings.
26. One time Billy got a little too drunk and ended up in the pool.
27. My Grandpa, not knowing that goats could swim, tried to jump in after him. There was a scuffle and Grandpa got hurt.
28. That was the end of the beer drinking Billy goat. The family joke was that Grandpa sold him to the first person that could get him out.
29. But I never found out for sure.
30. Some days I love having an old house. I'm always finding "treasures" in the yard.
*31. Yesterday I found a little toy boat, half buried in the dirt behind the Buttonwood bush.
*32. Before that it was a tiny red car beneath the shed and a plastic dinosaur in the brush beside the fence.
*33. It makes me think back to the day we moved away from Indiana. I was eleven. I left a note in the corner of the basement that said, "Hi. I hope you love this house as much as we did."

Labels:

23 Comments:

At 09 July, 2008, Blogger meno said...

It made me sad to read that you no longer hope to go to college. I hope you will.

 
At 09 July, 2008, Blogger minijonb said...

only 698 songs on the iPod? you need more tunes!!!

 
At 09 July, 2008, Blogger Alice said...

I adore your analogy of falling in love with a book. *sigh* I do that all the time, much to the detriment of the rest of the house.

 
At 09 July, 2008, Blogger the planet of janet said...

fyi, edward is immortal so you don't have to worry about him. unless you do. :-P

(and on a more mature and less random note: no. 33 is just the sweetest thing ever.)

 
At 09 July, 2008, Blogger Woman in a Window said...

No Way 19!

Of course you had a gradfather who drank with a Billy Goat! Of course you did...love that!

 
At 09 July, 2008, Blogger Allison said...

Are any of those 698 songs by Grace Potter and the Nocturnals? Because if they're not, you need to add 2 or 3 or 25 to your iPod. You really need to trust me on this one. :)

And I don't think I own any yellow clothing either. Cool.

 
At 09 July, 2008, Blogger Jo said...

Aw, I loved the ending to your post! My grandparents used to build houses so my little handprints are in the concrete basements of a bunch of houses with a welcome home message.

Billy goat cracked me up!

You're remarkable, Tink, greatness will find you in little & big ways, no worries, just enjoy the ride.

 
At 09 July, 2008, Blogger gary rith said...

crap, stinking blooger blew my comment, so here goes again:
Speaking of number 10, unfinished books, I was almost at the end of 'Marley and Me' shortly after my dog Petey died, and I knew what was coming as Marley slowed down and couldn't walk up the hill and all, and so I didn't finish and took it back to the library.
You're an interesting person, Tink, cheers!

 
At 09 July, 2008, Blogger Jay said...

Gary Rith: I was just about to say that I very seriously thought about not finishing Marley and Me just because I knew what was coming and didn't want it to happen.

Kicking back, drinking beer with a billy goat would a great way to spend a Saturday night. I didn't know they could swim.

 
At 09 July, 2008, Blogger Reb said...

I totally agree about being barefoot and reading & falling in love with books. #'s 22 & 23 make me sad! You will go when you are ready though. Nice to know that goats can swim! Every time I have done renovations on a house, I have stuck a note in behind the work for the next owner who renovates to find. Family tradition.

 
At 09 July, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you had a very exciting month, I'm sorry I missed most of it. I promise July will be better. =)

 
At 09 July, 2008, Blogger Chris said...

Oh man, was that the cutest thing ever for you to do at your old house?!

Hey, when are you going to college, kiddo? :)

Why do you think I read so many books that are part of a series? I like to keep following those people and their lives.

 
At 09 July, 2008, Blogger jennyonthespot said...

I just left that comment up there - but I didn't login to the right "me"- or something. I guess I should figure out what happened!

 
At 10 July, 2008, Blogger Mary said...

I hate to think that anyone else could enjoy/know/think about a book/the characters/the experiences the same way I do. That really sounds like love, doesn't it?

 
At 10 July, 2008, Blogger Mike said...

It's better than what I found when I bought my house.

I won't mention it, but i'll say this:

As soon as I found it, I burned it.

 
At 10 July, 2008, Blogger mamatulip said...

You know what? I don't own anything yellow either.

My roommate's boyfriend used to drive a yellow mustang. And I mean BRIGHT YELLOW. So yellow it was almost embarrassing.

 
At 10 July, 2008, Blogger furiousBall said...

i didn't have the friendly either

 
At 10 July, 2008, Blogger Tory said...

I so agree with you about the books. Once I've read them, I feel like I've lived them and have a relationships with the characters. I can never get rid of books that I read, which is why I have such a hard time borrowing books from the library!
I also loved the note you left in the basement. I hope someone found it.
Hugs
Tory

 
At 10 July, 2008, Blogger Tawcan said...

You need to increase your iPod song count. But this is coming out from someone who doesn't even own an iPod. So I should just go run to the corner of the room and shutup.

 
At 10 July, 2008, Blogger Sparkling Red said...

I love goats. Poor Billy.

I like motorcycles, except when their owners tune them to create maximum noise pollution. I don't see any reason why strangers should have the right to assault my ears, or why they want to do that in the first place. Something about ego... but I don't feel better about myself when I'm noisy. Why do they?

 
At 10 July, 2008, Blogger Alex said...

Whoa. I have 3916 songs on my iPod. I'll burn you a cd or two if you want.

 
At 11 July, 2008, Blogger Newt said...

That whole book thing, damn girl you nailed that. And I gotta agree, it's fun to find the treasures in your house/yard.

I love these lists.

 
At 11 July, 2008, Blogger Aunt Jackie said...

I do so love your statistics, and your lists, and conversations!!! :)

You always Rock out Hardcore Tink!!! It's Sporkalicious!

I have made my background white, and am now working on a cool header like the one you made. Maybe I can finish this weekend!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home