Monday, June 02, 2008

Southern Fried

Weekend Recap:
1. I got tons of color this weekend.
2. Unfortunately, it was the wrong color.
3. It looks like I'm wearing a white bikini... when I'm naked.
4. Hoop was so uncomfortable looking at my skin that he had to administer the aloe with his eyes closed.
5. Hoop's paternal family came to stay Friday night, and then moved on to the drinking village Saturday morning. I never realized how difficult it is to house six people, especially when four are not part of a couple.
6. A big chunk of Friday night was spent arguing over sleeping arrangements. Hoop and I wanted Nanny to get our room, Aunt D to get the guest room with her daughter L, Dad to get the air mattress in the computer room, and for us to take the gigantic couch.
7. But I forgot what a bunch of martyrs Hoop's family is. Everyone thought he or she deserved the most uncomfortable spot, including Hoop's elderly Grandmother!
8. Further evidence of this: Hoop's Dad mowed our lawn while we were at work...
9. ...in 95 degree weather!
10. It wasn't because he was disgusted by our maintenance skills either. He just wanted to do something nice.
11. One of the oddest parts of the weekend was when the family attempted to drink our filtered tap water. They all swore that it tasted like sulfur. Hoop and I, try as we might, couldn't taste anything wrong.
12. Even at restaurants they said the soda tasted like sulfur. "It must be because of the ice cubes."
13. Then Hoop's Dad drank from a bottle of water and said, "This tastes like sulfur too!"
14. OK, we said, now you're just screwing with us.
15. But then we looked at the back of the bottle. "Source: Ginnie Springs." Which just so happens to be located two hours from our house!
16. Go figure.
17. Saturday night, the six of us piled into ONE hotel room.
18. I can't even begin to describe the crowdedness of that room. Let's just say, I got closer to Hoop's family than I ever expected I would. ;)
19. Sunday morning, we went to the beach. Which, of course, leads me back to the beginning of this post.
20. I put on sunscreen all day! But it didn't matter. Apparently, the only thing I've gotten acclimated to is our nasty water. Now I'm off to nurse my aching skin.

What did you do this weekend?

Tomorrow: The WWC!
Wednesday or Thursday: Good-bye Month

Labels:

27 Comments:

At 02 June, 2008, Blogger Peggy said...

Baby, be careful with that Florida sun!

 
At 02 June, 2008, Blogger Pamer said...

awww i hate the first burn of the year...however, after that first toasting i turn a golden, hunky brown.


the best thing is that you get to have Hoop slather the aloe on...anytime you want

The Family Hoop sounds awesome...mine just sit around all day and wait for us to do something...brutal!!!

 
At 02 June, 2008, Blogger Heather said...

Perhaps a stronger sunscreen is in order???

Owwie!! Hope you heal soon!!

 
At 02 June, 2008, Blogger Mary said...

EEK I hope your skin heals quickly!

We had a birthday party Friday night, t-ball game Saturday morning, I worked Saturday afternoon/night, and had a birthday party Sunday afternoon. We're partied out.

I *made* Clara stay home from school today, I had to bribe her. But we've made tons of paper dolls and watched TV, and I updated my blog. So not a TOTAL waste. oooh plus she helped me with the dishes...

 
At 02 June, 2008, Blogger Chris said...

Ow ow ow ow ow ow!!! Time to go get that protection 50 sunblock...

I'm very impressed that you didn't kill any of Hoop's family members. Or is that tomorrow's post?

 
At 02 June, 2008, Blogger meno said...

Oh man, send your future father-in-law to my house.

 
At 02 June, 2008, Blogger gary rith said...

burn today, peel by Friday??? you poor thing!
My weekend? Thanks for asking. My pals from Toronto came down and we drank and barbecued ourselves silly, plus other activities related and non-related to drinking, and it was f!cking great but makes me feel f!cking old.

 
At 02 June, 2008, Blogger furiousBall said...

i look like i'm wearing a white bikini too... oh wait, i am

 
At 02 June, 2008, Blogger Woman in a Window said...

I like to think of the grandma mowing the lawn for some perverse reason. Now, that would be martyrdom!

 
At 02 June, 2008, Blogger Gordo said...

I camped in the rain with 21 kids. Boo yah!

 
At 02 June, 2008, Blogger Fortune Cookies said...

I fell asleep, for 5 hours, in the Florida sun one year on the first day of my week long vacation. Yeah, that was fun.My front side looked like a bright red bubble-wrapped me, while my back was pasty-white me. Needles to say sun poisoning will ruin a vacation :( Hoop's family sounds like a real treat! That's a plus. You don't wanna marry into a sucky family.

 
At 02 June, 2008, Blogger Reb said...

Oh poor Tink, burns are no fun! I remember both of mine very vividly!
Hoop's family sounds sort of like mine, "oh I couldn't possibly put you out, I'll sleep on the floor". The subtext in my family though, is: "and won't be able to move tomorrow, but, hey I'm a martyr and I love you."

 
At 02 June, 2008, Blogger LL said...

Your first mistake was in going to the beach. After that, well...

 
At 02 June, 2008, Blogger mamatulip said...

I took a load home from my gram's farm last weekend and I got a sunburn through the sunroof. Through the SUNROOF!

I hope the burn eases up. Sunburns SUCK and yours sounds like a doozy.

 
At 02 June, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tink -- be sure your sunscreen has a physical blocker (titanium dioxide or zinc oxide) as those ingredients are MUCH more effective than the ones with just chemical blockers. They go on slightly white and don't soak in but they are designed to sit on the top of the skin and work on keeping out the most harmful rays.

Trust me on this. BOTH of my parents have had skin cancer.

~Love, Michelle...formerly of Tao and Zen (now with my own shiny website)

 
At 03 June, 2008, Blogger the planet of janet said...

ouch! sunburns are NO FUN.

but it sounds like hoop's family IS fun.

fair trade? maybe ....

 
At 03 June, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did help my wife get rid of her sunburn.

I've found that if you wrap a wet wash cloth around a baggie of ice and put it on the places that are burned the same day you got the sunburn, the next day it won't hurt or be so red. It really does help. You can do it later as well. Also don't take really warm baths. It makes it worse.

~Jef

 
At 03 June, 2008, Blogger captain corky said...

I can't remember what I did this weekend. I think I watched a couple of episodes of Bonanaza, but besides that I can't think of anything.

 
At 03 June, 2008, Blogger Hilary said...

Ouch... ouch.. ouch. Poor you. I hope you heal very soon. Sunburns are nasty.

 
At 03 June, 2008, Blogger Christy said...

That is the pits. I have only burned badly once in my life. It was when I was on medicine and I didn't realize sun exposure was not meant to happen while on those meds.

I hope you get better soon. =o)

 
At 03 June, 2008, Blogger g-man said...

I do believe that warrants a "bikini line" photo, yanno so we can all exclaim "Damn that is one white chick."

Bummer on the sunburn toots, I can recall lots of them and how uncomfortable it can be.

Be cool.

 
At 03 June, 2008, Blogger Janet said...

oh ouch!!!

 
At 03 June, 2008, Blogger Chelle Y. said...

It sounds like you are marrying into a wonderful, unselfish family. That's a great start! :)

Sorry about your skin. :(

 
At 03 June, 2008, Blogger Newt said...

I sat outside working last week and got quite the farmer burn. Didn't dawn on me that sitting in the sun working was still sitting in the sun................

 
At 03 June, 2008, Blogger Sparkling Red said...

Mmmm.... roasted girl! My favourite!

But seriously, I'm with Michelle on the sunblock. There's a history of deadly melanoma in my family, so I used a sunscreen with titanium on all exposed bits (even my ears), even though it makes me look pasty, white, and shiny. It keeps the sunburn off real good.

 
At 03 June, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sadly, my weekend was almost completely computer-free, while EB worked on a project he has had for over a month. He was up until nearly 1am this morning, finishing those last-minute details that SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE A WEEK AGO.
And I got rained on, twice. No sunburn here.

 
At 03 June, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

Is a case of sunscreen going to be the best wedding present to send you????? Silly girl, protect thyself from those evil rays.

I can barely house one extra family member could never imagine 6

Our weekend...
Guys had a lock-in Friday that had them driving go-karts and all sorts of fun stuff. saturday we did a food stand with Boy Scouts, Sunday we were godparents at my nephews baptism and then went to a motorcycle show.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home