Friday, October 06, 2006

United We Blog

I'll be honest. I only learned two things from 10th through 12th grade. One was how to roll a perfect joint. The second was something my journalism teacher said. "People unite when faced with a common enemy!" He declared it while standing on top of a desk and brandishing a ruler. At the time he was referring to our school censoring the articles we wrote. Apparently they didn't appreciate our take on "pimped out rides" or "how to skip school in the trunk of someone's car."

But the lesson itself has lived on long past my age of usurping authority figures. It's something that comes to mind every time I surf the blogosphere. Why are we here? Why are YOU here? Is it because we're fighting (or have fought) common "enemies?" Some of us have survived traumatic childhoods or parenting. Some of us are struggling with loss, or loneliness, or boredom. Maybe you're just looking for people who share the same interests. Do you have a message you'd like to pass along? Or are you just inspired? In love? Expecting?

For whatever reason, you're still blogging.

We share that. We're not so different, you and I.

But maybe there are other's who don't know, who think they're alone.

Below is an anonymous poll. It only allowed me to enter 10 choices to choose from, so I chose 10 that I thought were the most common. But if you don't see something that applies to you, that you think is an important reason why you're here, than comment on this post anonymously and tell us what it is. It's a meme of a different sort folks. So you're welcome to steal it, I'll send you the code. Just don't forget to leave your mark by voting as well.

What Unites Us, As Bloggers?
Select up to 10 of the following:
Estranged from one or both parents
Interested in photography
Expecting an addition to your family
Knitting or sewing hobbyist
Bored with job/life
Going through a happy transition
Seeking a creative outlet
Looking for friends that share the same interests
Passing along a message or experience
Mourning a loss
Create Free Polls


Poll results can be found HERE.

Look below for the second post to my "Two For One" special!

14 Comments:

At 06 October, 2006, Blogger Mike Y said...

I started blogging for my own sake. I wanted to have a place to post my thoughts and my findings. And for years, stuff sat there, in space, with only the occasional onlooker.

But then blogger and wordpress made it possible to do more and to exchange comments. Soon, I developed some friendships. And because we could exchange thoughts openly and without too much concern, the friendships have been quite meaningful.

So... I now blog because of the friendships.

 
At 06 October, 2006, Blogger Newt said...

If for no other reason, my blog experience was totally worth it because I met people like you.

 
At 06 October, 2006, Blogger Arabella said...

I think you compiled a really good list of 10.

For me, interacting with others and having a creative outlet are the primary reasons why I blog.

 
At 06 October, 2006, Blogger Jay said...

I didn't know what to expect when I started bloggig, but I do know it's been way more amazing then I could have ever thought of. Best part is reading everybody's great stuff. Like THIS blog right here. And, I love to come back and read everyone's commments. The comments so often are so clever and funny and nice and all that.

Also, after I voted I checked the results and realized that you can vote for more than one thing. So, I voted again. haha

 
At 06 October, 2006, Blogger Freakazojd said...

Sweet idea, lady! I voted!
Happy Canadian Thanksgiving! Gobblegobble...

 
At 06 October, 2006, Blogger Jess Riley said...

At first I was amazed at how many people were estranged from one or both parents, then I realized I was reading the results wrong. :)

Your post about your relationship with Hoop was beautiful. I'm so happy you found one another!

 
At 07 October, 2006, Blogger gawilli said...

I had no idea what was out there when I started. Boy what a surprise! I love the conversations as much as the posting.

 
At 08 October, 2006, Blogger Peevish said...

It's a good list. The knitting thing was a big part of starting to blog, but I've found as I've gone along that the people I have met along the way have done a lot to restore my faith in humanity!

 
At 09 October, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good list! Some might also include the fact that they blog because it's like writing a newspaper column about anything they want...unfortunately...without the money part.

 
At 09 October, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

(chants) WEEKEND RECAP WEEKEND RECAP WEEKEND RECAP,,,,,,,,,,hurry up tink, I'm having withdrawls and anxiety attacks. I need a pickled beef fix. I need that tangy, hearty, protein infused, pucker your cheeks pickled beefiness.

 
At 09 October, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's because after years of an ever-more-powerful media and commercial enterprise telling us what to think, wear, do, buy, and see, we want to speak for ourselves. And then we found out - surprise! - that while we felt so alienated, we really did have a lot in common.

 
At 09 October, 2006, Blogger Chris said...

Interesting poll. Creative outlet definitely is winning, isn't it?

One of the things I never expected about blogging is that I would come to care so much about people I've never met. Huh.

 
At 10 October, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this.

 
At 12 October, 2006, Blogger Katie said...

Interesting how the poll results have changed just in a few days!

I never knew there was so much out there in blogging when I started. Most of it is crap (except an elite group including thee and me) but I have "met" a few people worth hanging on to. I started so my family, flung thither and yonder, could watch Luke grow up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home