Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Little Known Stories

I don't believe I've lived long enough to know if history repeats itself.

But I know that I replay history all the time.

We all have a data base of stories. Whether they're boasted at parties or whispered in secret, we know exactly which ones will get a laugh, or a gasp, or prove a point. They're the moments we think define us. But what about the rest? If we never speak those runt memories, will they simply cease to exist? So today I'm going to dig into the lint trap I call my mind and dig out as many "little known stories" as I can find. Then I want you to do the same. Give us something new and never heard before. Throw down your runts.

Snap-N-Pop: I don't remember where Dad and I lived before we moved into the twinkie trailer. But I'll never forget the summer we moved in and I made it a mission to find friends. I was eight, awkward and shy, incapable of just walking up to someone and introducing myself. For some reason I thought I had to have an angle, something catchy that would make the kids approach me instead. My first attempt at drawing attention to myself came in the form of a bb gun, followed by a wrist rocket slingshot. I thought I was cool. That is, until I accidentally busted out the window on my Father's truck.

After that I resigned myself to walking the neighborhood. I passed by some houses, the ones I knew to have kids living in them, twelve times a day. I inquired at the local gas station where my Dad sent me for smokes and dime candy. I rode my little blue huffy for blocks in hopes that someone would mention my sweet ride. Nothing worked. A whole summer passed without a single friend to entertain myself with. It wasn't until the following spring that one of my "brilliant" schemes worked.

I was passing by a house one afternoon when I spotted two little girls practicing dance routines outside. I tried to catch their eye as I whizzed past, but they were too engrossed in the Butterfly and Tootsie-roll to notice. Finally it came to me. "Why don't I throw snap-n-pops to catch their attention?" So I armed myself with a hand full of crackers and got my bike off to a break neck speed (just in case they got mad and decided to chase me instead). Pop-Pop-Pop! Their heads raised like prairie dogs. I did it again. Pop-Pop-Pop! "What are you doing?" One of the little girls yelled.

"They're Snap-N-Pops!" I yelled back. "Have you ever seen them before?" I was thrilled. Maybe they would be impressed with my mad popping skills. I'd been practicing how to crack them off my shoe for days. "You can have some if you want. They're really neat." I said as they walked up to my bike. "Of course I've seen them before," the girl snapped. "They're what we give to my little sister on the fourth of July so she doesn't hurt herself." It was like being punched in the gut. "What I want to know is why you're doing them in MY driveway?"

Murder Mystery: It wasn't long after the Snap-N-Pop incident that I met up with the above girl again. I found her to be a lot nicer without her friend around. Within the month we were best buds. She taught me how to dance like a black girl and I taught her how to sneak out of her house after hours. The exchange doesn't seem very fair now. Especially since I can still dance and, well... Unless she's made a living as a criminal, I don't see how the skills I taught her could be very useful. My summers with her were some of the best in memory.

One summer, out of sheer boredom, we decided to spy on all the neighbors in the trailer park. "The Park" as I called it, was something of great mystery to her. She'd always lived in a nice house in a neighborhood. People didn't drink beer on their sidewalks or grow weed in their flower beds where she came from. So I humored her curiosity. It was during one of our "spy-trips" that we noticed something odd about trailer number 9. Although it was vacant, the door handles were pushed in so no one could enter or leave, the curtains inside seemed to open and close by themselves.

It was on one of the days that the curtains were open that we noticed the bullet holes in the windows and the crimson stains on the carpet inside. Stranger still, an umbrella magically appeared and then disappeared from view. It was because of these oddities that we came to this final conclusion... Someone had been murdered in there! Duh. Not only that. The murderer had been caught in the act and as punishment locked in the trailer forever more, destined to live out his/her days in solitary with only a curtain and an umbrella for amusement. Rough. We moved on to other projects the next week. I still wonder about that trailer though.

Your turn!

Labels:

20 Comments:

At 18 April, 2007, Blogger Newt said...

Hmmm,now you have me thinking. Wonderful stories there girl!

 
At 18 April, 2007, Blogger Jay said...

You were a bit more adventurous as a kid than I was. My dad lived in a trailer park for a while after my parents divorced. But, nobody got murdered there. :-(

 
At 18 April, 2007, Blogger Jay said...

Uh...yeah, I'd wonder about that too. Great stories though...weird, but good.

 
At 18 April, 2007, Blogger Mary said...

I have a hard time coming up with "defining stories" let alone the non ones...maybe I'll try though.

good reads chick

 
At 18 April, 2007, Blogger meno said...

Sound like "Harriet the Spy" stuff. I actually had a notebook when we did our spying.

 
At 18 April, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you never went IN the trailer...you just let it go at that???

So you want those molding old stories huh? I can barely remember the defining ones! I'll think on this and post something in a day or two...

 
At 18 April, 2007, Blogger fiwa said...

I like your runt story idea, Tink. I'll think about it and see what I can come up with.

Sorry to hear some of the blogs you enjoy are going away. A couple I enjoy reading have gone away too. I guess that's the nature of the internet.

Take care of you -
fiwa

 
At 18 April, 2007, Blogger Ellie said...

Love the stories...I will thinkon this and come up with something to share.

 
At 18 April, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harriet the Spy! Meno is onto something.

"Runt stories" -- an excellent term. Let me think on it and I'll see what I can do.

 
At 18 April, 2007, Blogger Chris said...

Now I'm going to wonder about that trailer forever, too...

 
At 18 April, 2007, Blogger Allison said...

Tink, please go back to that trailer and find out what happened. Or I'll forever have sleepless nights wondering what happened there. LOL!

And when you "challenged" us to talk about runt stories, my first thought was "Uhhhhhh...." while drool dripped out of my mouth. But um, maybe I'll try. LOL!

 
At 19 April, 2007, Blogger Beth said...

I came here from Sunshine's blog and am glad I did. I thoroughly enjoyed your romp through time. I'd love to know what happened in the trailer.

I have lived in a trailer park so I get it. =)

 
At 19 April, 2007, Blogger Arabella said...

Wow, your runt stories are better than my crowd pleasers!

Okay, here's one of mine: a friend and I bought bubblegum cigarettes and sat on a bench, pretending to smoke them. They were the kind that were wrapped with paper and stuffed with powdered sugar, so that you could blow fake smoke. We were really young. An old lady came up to us and kindly explained that smoking wasn't good for us and that it would be hard for us to stop later. We humored her for a while, and then explained that the cigarettes were really made of bubblegum. She was kind of pissed. I still feel a little guilty about it.

 
At 19 April, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's no "RUNT STORY"!!! That would be the one I pull out to really impress...
Anyway, you asked for it, so...
When I was in 3rd grade, a neighborhood boy that we played with named Vincent got on the school bus and his eyes were all bloodshot. Someone said they were that way because he had crossed his eyes and they got stuck that way, and his eyes were reddened by whatever he did to get them unstuck. I don't think he even knew that story was circulating, but I BELIEVED, and to this day I'm scared to death to cross my eyes.

Ok, back to lurking and obsessively checking for your daily update.

 
At 19 April, 2007, Blogger Tink said...

Arabella and Emily: Those are great! I'm so glad someone played. :)

 
At 19 April, 2007, Blogger mrspao said...

I used to have a red BMX when I was a kid and was chased by an enormous Great Dane all around the compound we lived in. That darn dog could run pretty fast and never seemed to get tired so I had to ditch my bike and make a run for it into the house.

 
At 19 April, 2007, Blogger sassybead said...

Well, I couldn't think of a "runt story," but emily reminded me of one. When I was in elementary school I had longish hair, and I used to chew on the ends all the time. The playground teacher was constantly after me to quit it. Then one day my fourth grade teacher, Mrs. Stocker (who was my favorite teacher!), told me she had a friend who had died suddenly and they didn't know why. And, she used to chew on her hair. Well, Mrs. Stocker said they cut her open and found a big old ball of hair in her stomach! Man, I stopped chewing my hair that instant! That clever lady...one story did what all the nagging in the world had failed to do!

 
At 20 April, 2007, Blogger Cindi said...

Tink, I love those stories. The trailer park story reminded me of Harriet the Spy (my favorite childhood book, btw)too. I remember having my own spy notebook too. I will have to think on this and put up my own "runt stories".

Emily and sassybead...your stories cracked me up too. Brings back memories too. I remember when I was in 2nd grade someone told me not to ever cross my eyes or else they would stay that way. One day as I sat in the cafeteria I saw a little girl with crossed eyes and thought to myself "oh my god, it's true!" I assumed she had crossed her eyes and they were stuck like that forever. I never tried to cross my eyes after that. lol

 
At 20 April, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So Cute, the things we do when we're kids.

 
At 21 April, 2007, Blogger graymama said...

Wonderful stories!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home