Friday, September 21, 2007

The World's Gone Mad

Most of you have already heard about Andrew Meyer, the man who was tased during a Kerry convention on Monday. Because it happened not far from where I live, it seems to be the center of discussion. Everyone has an opinion. Most are of the mind that Mr. Meyer deserved what he got. I do not. I'm not defending his character, mind you. He seems like a complete idiot. But you can't tell me the SIX officers arresting him had no other recourse but to tase him.

A taser, no matter the intention of the device, is still a weapon. Each officer is told before being issued a taser that he or she should only use it if they feel their life is threatened. Yet officers seem to be using the weapon, all over the United States, for circumstances that are not life threatening. Almost, rather, as an easy way to end a situation or as a display of power.
Last year in Jacksonville, a woman in a wheelchair was tased ten times. She DIED. The officers justified their actions by explaining that the woman had a hammer and two knives on her.

So they electrocuted her. Because that's what you're basically doing when you send electricity through someone bound to a metal chair. Or how about the
Ohio woman who was tased while wearing handcuffs? Did she pose a threat? Yesterday, officers in California tased an autistic kid because he was running in and out of traffic. What would have happened if the boy had been shocked to the ground just as a car was coming? How about the 70 year old woman who got a broken nose and hauled off to jail because her lawn was dry?

This lack of judgement and compassion isn't just in our police system. It's throughout our entire justice system. Back in June there was a
judge who banned the words "rape" and "sexual assault" in a sexual assault case against one Pamir Safi. Because the victim was limited on how she could describe the events, she believes the pauses and breaks in her testimony hurt her credibility with the court. It was a hung jury. That's the message we're sending out. Not "If you do wrong you will be punished!" but "If you are wronged we're going to humiliate you for it." What the fuck?

I'm sick of the news. I'm tired of hearing about people in positions of power abusing people who aren't. I know they keep telling me that we live in a "free" country. It flashes up all over the place in bold red, white, and blue. But I don't FEEL free. I feel restricted, and angry, and scared. I'm sick of sitting like sheep. Aren't you? Haven't you noticed it too? Where are the people supposed to go when the protectors turn on them? Because if you haven't thought about it yet, you need to.

For Something A Little Lighter: Check out
Rex, a mentally disabled music savant. This young boy is proof that there is still wonder and beauty in this world. (Link has been fixed)

P.S. Don't forget, the
WWC words for this week are URBAN and COUNTRY.

Have a great weekend!

Labels: , ,

24 Comments:

At 21 September, 2007, Blogger Betty said...

I agree with you. However, I sure would like to have a taser - not one that would put someone on the floor, but one that would give someone a little zap in Wal-Mart and move him/her out of the way.

 
At 21 September, 2007, Blogger Jay said...

People are so convinced that we should all be soooooo scared of everybody that most people are now just sitting back and allowing things like this happen. There are 12 year old kids getting tasered by police. WTF? We don't train cops to control a person who is only about 4'5" and 70 lbs? Last year, in a town near me, a state trooper blew a mentally retarded teenager away cause the kid wouldn't stop putting his hands in his coat pockets. The trooper didn't wait for backup or anything, he just started shooting. He lost his job and pension, but didn't go to jail for it and it was amazing how many people thought he didn't do anything wrong at all.

This trend towards authoritarianism is very, very scary.

 
At 21 September, 2007, Blogger Chris said...

Well said, Tink. I think the current administration has paved the way for this BS, too. Grrrrr....

 
At 21 September, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We've been listening to a Hitler Youth SS (The name escapes me right now) on tape. It started like this and the whole Nazi movement just took over while the people watched on and started to feel like it was not only ok, but right.

Scarey stuff

 
At 21 September, 2007, Blogger Newt said...

I avoid the news and prefer to bury my head in the sand but lately I have been glancing at the news and I am a little nervous over the fact that every headline is leaving me speechless and even worse why some of it isn't bigger news. We make an international case about a spoiled brat going to jail for a few hours but the news skips over murder, civil rights violation, racism, and the list goes on. That makes me a bit nervous. It's more important to talk about Hilton than Jena. I just don't get it.

 
At 21 September, 2007, Blogger Scottsdale Girl said...

I like my local newstation that tells me the about Museum Shows and where to get great coffee wiht live entertainment and which restaurant has the best green chile burrito etc. Total fluff. Very warm.

 
At 21 September, 2007, Blogger Lefty said...

I watched a guy get tased once. One of the most awful things I've ever witnessed.

But Tink, did you just write the word "f---"? I thought you were pure and innocent.

No worries, though. I still am.

 
At 21 September, 2007, Blogger Blank said...

I hear ya. And I agree.

 
At 21 September, 2007, Blogger HAR said...

I'm with Betty. Not to make a joke out of it.

I just want a really tiny Taser. One that just gives a shock like you get when you walk on the rug with socks on.
I would so quietly Tazer my boss, by accident.

 
At 21 September, 2007, Blogger Mary said...

Not really related, but my new tag line is "Don't taser me Bro!"

What do you think? You can get it on t-shirts....

my brain is broken, otherwise I'd intelligently attempt to add to your disccusion....

 
At 21 September, 2007, Blogger Macoosh said...

sigh. it's a scary world. sometimes it gets so much more scary when you realize that the people you're supposed to turn to might not help you out.

it really does freak me out a lot.

 
At 21 September, 2007, Blogger meno said...

Abuse of power by those in charge is a time honored tradition in this, and many other countries.

Give them the weapon, and they will use it. Because they hold all the power.

 
At 22 September, 2007, Blogger mrspao said...

I am convinced the world has gone mad sometimes.

 
At 22 September, 2007, Blogger Peggy said...

The land of the free? Free what? Americans now live in fear. Rights are slowly being chipped away. It has happened so slowly that it was almost imperceptible.

 
At 22 September, 2007, Blogger mamatulip said...

I see what's happening in the world today and I am scared for my kids. If it's like this now, what's it going to be like when they are my age?

 
At 22 September, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya know I have a brother in law ( my wife's actually ) that is a cop in one of the most crime infested cities in Texas. Although I agree that the excessive use is a little much, I think waiting until you are drawn down on by a thug is a little late to draw your weapon. I know there are LOTS of bad cops. One was fired around here for pulling his pistol on a motorist because the motorist cut him off. Thing is, they usually have procedures, but it does seem a bit excessive. But I would much rather be safe than sorry.

~Jef

 
At 22 September, 2007, Blogger CRUSTY MOM-E said...

YOu aren't lying..so very true!
It's what scares me the MOST about being a parent.
Great Post! Would be an excellent article at a local paper!!
Always,
Crusty~ :)

 
At 23 September, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many moons ago I decided that I needed to unplug from mainstream media just for this reason. I got stressed out over stuff I saw on TV. You see, I'm in a happy bubble most of the time until I get bad news. Well guess what? The "news" (if you can call the tripe they show on TV that) is ALL bad news. There's never any good news. Thus, I'd finish watching and feel in a funk. Solution: I unplugged and stopped watching. Don't get me wrong, I go over the headlines. I still read stories that interest me but I guess one could say I pick my poison. If I can help to make the situation better (like contribute money to a 'cause or some such thing) I do. Otherwise, I stay away.

Our north american society so readily buys into to "being informed". Someone is a total idiot if they don't know what's going on with everything in the world all the time. Ha! To that I say this: I must be one hell of an idiot but, my god, am I ever a happy idiot!!

 
At 23 September, 2007, Blogger Aunt Jackie said...

I'm trying to brainstorm on this next week's WWC!! Hope I can think of something... I'm having so much fun with my Nikon.

Hope you guys are doing o.k... Have a good weekend!

 
At 23 September, 2007, Blogger eric said...

i think you more tasers being used because there are a number of police out there who desperately want to shoot someone but can't because they know they'll kill somebody. the tasers give them both things: the action movie rush and the comfort that nobody will die (usually).

 
At 24 September, 2007, Blogger Foo said...

Sadly, I think eric's on to something. I personally know a couple really good cops, but there sure do seem to be a lot more testosterone-poisoned, power-tripping bullies out there.

Still, when you spend your days having to walk into the problems that we pay peace officers to deal with, it must be incredibly difficult to not become callous and see every citizen as The Enemy. For every perfectly tame drunk or out-of-control autistic kid, there are twenty more who seem that way but will turn and stick something sharp in your spleen as soon as you let your guard down. I wouldn't want the job of trying to correctly determine which was which with 100% accuracy.

 
At 24 September, 2007, Blogger Christy said...

http://media.www.michigandaily.com/media/storage/paper851/news/2007/09/24/Editorials/From-The.Daily.A.Shocking.Trend-2986516.shtml

The unlikely catchphrase "Don't Tase me, bro" has already spawned bumper stickers and T-shirts

 
At 24 September, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just keep standing up to it Tink. Get mad, don't get sad. I hope you'll go read my latest post (finally!) as it's pretty close to what you are saying. My, how great minds think alike!

 
At 24 September, 2007, Blogger furiousBall said...

All these taser injuries for these people, yet when Johnny Knoxville and the other morons on Jackass taser their balls, all they do is high five and pretend they're all straight while putting toy cars in each other's rear-ends.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home