Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The Proposal

After getting up late and then hitting traffic, Hoop and I didn't reach Orlando until mid-afternoon. One of the heaviest and longest jams we encountered (45 minutes) was caused by a group of bikers parked on the side of the road. There was no discernible reason for them to be pulled over, but that didn't stop rubberneckers from slowing down to look. Once we got to the hotel, we agreed it was too late to hit the park. So we relaxed for awhile before heading to The Marketplace to grab a bite to eat and wait for Halloween Horror Nights to start.

All through dinner I thought Hoop was acting a bit fidgety. But I chalked it up to his lack of nicotine and the fact that we still had two hours to kill before scare time. Fortunately for us, they decided to open the park a little early. As people were starting to form lines, Hoop suggested we take a walk around the Hard Rock Hotel. I thought that was a little odd too, but went with it anyway. Around the hotel are pathways leading to ponds and beautifully landscaped gardens. I had just turned to admire some bamboo when Hoop went down on one knee.

"So this is what they make floors out of," I said, rapping my knuckles against the stalk. "I was going to do this inside the park. But then I saw they had metal detectors and were making people empty their pockets," he said. "Will you marry me?" Obviously, I said yes. Then I wrapped my arms around him and said, "It's about time!" At that point I hadn't even looked at the ring. But as you can see, my guy has great taste in jewelry as well as dresses and shoes. I couldn't help but admire my hand all night. That is, when it wasn't gripped in Hoop's hand with fright.

What was really great about Hoop's proposal was that he did it in a way he knew I would love. We'd met during the Halloween season. Our first kiss was in a graveyard. It seemed fitting that he should propose during Halloween Horror Nights. On top of that, he picked the ring out all by himself. Despite the constant pushing and suggestions from both sets of parents, Hoop picked out a ring he knew I would love and hadn't bothered to get it approved by anyone else first. So there you have it my friends. You were there in the beginning, four months after we met. And now you're here for this, the next step in our awesome adventure.

I couldn't ask for better friends to share this moment with. Thank you!!

*******************************************************************

In Other News: Check out
this chick. She fended off a would-be robber with an ax! It's stuff like this that gives me the warm fuzzies about being female. I would hug her if I could... Once she put down the weapon.

Daily Hoop Conversation:
(On phone)
Hoop: Hey, I think I found you a job on Craigslist!
Tink: Oh yeah?
Hoop: It says, "Office position. $15 an hour. I am looking for a position as Admin. Assist or Office Manager. I have over 25 yrs experience-"
Tink: -Uh, babe?
Hoop: Oh, wait. That's for someone looking for a job, huh?
Tink: Oh my God, we should hire him!
Hoop: Shut up.

P.S. Hoop has the flu. He wrote a post the other night while high off NyQuil. Good stuff. I'll have it up tomorrow for your viewing pleasure. Stay tuned!

Labels: ,

44 Comments:

At 24 October, 2007, Blogger Nettie said...

Seriously? That is a story right out of a movie. He sounds too wonderful Girl. I am so happy for you! Congratulations and I hope Hoop is feeling better soon.

 
At 24 October, 2007, Blogger ma content said...

congratulations!!!!

 
At 24 October, 2007, Blogger Karen said...

Awesome proposal. I love that he picked out the ring himself! Congrats again!

 
At 24 October, 2007, Blogger Chris Cactus said...

Awesome. Congrats!!!

 
At 24 October, 2007, Blogger fiwa said...

Awww...I'm so happy for you guys! WAY TO GO HOOP!

And that ring is some serious bling, he did a good job.

Happyhappyjoyjoy!

 
At 24 October, 2007, Blogger Macoosh said...

oooh even better that he picked out the right himself. i'm so scared my mr. right will pick out some hideous thing. and i know that makes me shallow but i don't care. it really scares me haha.

what a great story and what a funny little conversation w/ hoop to end this post on. i hope he feels better!

p.s. that girl in the link KICKS ASS!

 
At 24 October, 2007, Blogger Mary said...

awwwww sniff sniff. you made me have happy tears! hehe

what a perfect story :)

mary

 
At 24 October, 2007, Blogger Jay said...

Way to go Hoop! Good job!

So is it going to be a huge wedding or just a little get-together. And you have time to set up the webcams to stream the wedding on your blog so we can all be there! ;-)

 
At 24 October, 2007, Blogger Jen said...

I'm just sitting here SMILING through the entire proposal.

I'm still smiling! And very happy for you both!

 
At 24 October, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not as shy as Jay: even if it's going to be a small wedding, you still have to invite us, even if it's just cheap seats somewhere. I mean, come on. We all promise not to pull any mean pranks (right, everyone!?). Plus, think of all the loot you'll get! And congratulations! Tell Hoop he's got a good one.

 
At 24 October, 2007, Blogger Peggy said...

I saw the headline and held my breath. It could have been a blog entry about proposing anything . . . but Wow! I'm so incredibly excited about this!!!! Congratulations to the both of you!!!! Woo hoo

 
At 24 October, 2007, Blogger Betty said...

What a great way to propose! Hoop is one romantic dude!

 
At 24 October, 2007, Blogger Lefty said...

Wait, who is Hoop again?

Just kidding, of course. Congratulations to both of you. You've got a good one, Tink (and I'm not talking about the ring).

Tell me again why he didn't propose at a baseball game?

 
At 24 October, 2007, Blogger Allison said...

I'm just still sooooo excited for you! Steve picked out my ring himself too, and I still think it's perfect. Our men did gooood. LOL!

(I lost my viginity in a graveyard. But not to Steve. Maybe that's why I dislike Halloween so much. LOL!)

And now, if you two survive the hell of wedding planning, you'll know it was really meant to be. ;)

 
At 24 October, 2007, Blogger R.E.H. said...

Oh, dear. I think I may actually have a tear in the corner of my eye. I'm sensitive like that these days. Seriously - that was a wonderful proposal. Too bad he couldn't do it inside the park like he'd planned.

My best wishes to the both of you.

Now, the axe clerk vs. the gun man thing was crazy. A woman with balls... if that isn't scary - what is?

 
At 24 October, 2007, Blogger Lynnea said...

Jumping up and down happy for you, yelling "Yes yes" because true love triumphs and that was a wonderful sweet super cool not too sappy proposal. Oh yeah. Congratulations!

 
At 24 October, 2007, Blogger Kell said...

That's just the sweetest, most wonderful proposal. Congratulations!

 
At 24 October, 2007, Blogger ETK said...

CONGRATLATIONS! Awesome bling!! :)

 
At 24 October, 2007, Blogger Molly said...

I love this entry, thank you sharing it with us. That Hoop is one romantic guy, and he picked out a terrific ring. I look forward to reading about the wedding plans.

 
At 24 October, 2007, Blogger Newt said...

I've got chills. I'm so happy for you guys. Road trip anyone? I think we all have a wedding to crash.

 
At 24 October, 2007, Blogger Freakazojd said...

Oh yay! Thank you so much for sharing the when/how with everybody. I'm so crazy excited for you two...you're going to have so much fun! :)
xo

 
At 24 October, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've gotta give extra points to a guy who remembers the significance of the things you love and then work the proposal around it. Lucky you!

 
At 25 October, 2007, Blogger the planet of janet said...

oh that is sweeter than sweet!

congrats!

 
At 25 October, 2007, Blogger Hilary said...

What a sweetie. Looking forward to many years of funny, romantic and endearing stories.

 
At 25 October, 2007, Blogger Christy said...

That is wonderful, whimsically and all those other adjectives of sweetness. I'm so happy for you! He did very well! Yay! I'm feeling giddy and I have never even met you!

 
At 25 October, 2007, Blogger Terri said...

how sweet!

 
At 25 October, 2007, Blogger Moi said...

Yea for Hoop & Tink! And well done Hoop for picking out the ring himself.

I lurve Halloween!

 
At 25 October, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Hoop and Tink!! I am going to love this wedding planning! Awwww - I'mma make my husband propose to me again and this time leave out the sex, lol lol I wanna focus on the proposal, lol

Pamalicious
www.pamalicious.com

 
At 25 October, 2007, Blogger CRUSTY MOM-E said...

beautiful proposal..you guys make a great couple..

the conversation between you hilarious...and I love how you wrote it out for us to understand!!

Many glowing nights for you!
Always,
Crusty!

 
At 26 October, 2007, Blogger Chris said...

Aw, congrats!!

 
At 26 October, 2007, Blogger Portia said...

AWESOME STORY!! Congratulations to you both:)

 
At 26 October, 2007, Blogger Me said...

Holy crap, the axe woman shares my old last name. Creepy!

 
At 26 October, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's going to make you an honest woman! It's a lost cause ...

Hahahahaha! I'm very happy for you.

~Jef

 
At 27 October, 2007, Blogger mamatulip said...

Awwwww...now I feel all squishy inside.

Congrats. :)

 
At 27 October, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That chick with the ax was awesome! And he had a gun? Wow!

What a great love story. Can't wait to read the next chapter!

 
At 28 October, 2007, Blogger Foo said...

That's awesome! Congratulations to both of you!

 
At 29 October, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you always leave me feeling like there is relationship hope for me.

That is an awesome proposal. Good job by him. Congradulations again!

 
At 29 October, 2007, Blogger Starchy said...

OH WOW! CONGRATULATIONS! That is so awesome, and it's so cool he proposed there!

Will you have Halloween-themed wedding? ha!

 
At 29 October, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you ever read my other blog? Bullets for Life

http://bulletsforlife.blogspot.com/

~Jef

 
At 29 October, 2007, Blogger Heather said...

YEAH!! Congratulations!!! :-)

 
At 31 October, 2007, Blogger Arabella said...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awwwww, Tink......Congratulations! I am so happy for the both of you. :)

 
At 31 October, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! And the ring is gorgeous. You guys are truly made for each other and I can't wait to read about wedding plans.

 
At 02 November, 2007, Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

Perfect!!!

 
At 11 November, 2007, Blogger Spamboy said...

I disappeared from the blogosphere for weeks, thanks to family, work, disease, and laziness. And when I come back, I see two people with such happy news. Congratulations on the wonderful news!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home