Monday, October 15, 2007

A Case Of The Mondays

Around The Water Cooler:
Tink: What would you like to title this presentation, sir?
Boss: Measurable Controllables.
Tink: Measurable-?
Boss: -Controllables.
Tink: Oh-kay.
Boss: What's wrong?
Tink: I'm just trying to figure out how I'm going to say that without sounding like I have marbles in my mouth.
Boss: Practice!
Tink: I hope you don't mean literally.

Thank you all for your comments on Friday's vlog! I never knew I had an accent. But now that I know, I'm going to painfully self conscious of it. So, thank you. Do you feel guilty? Ha! I already knew I had an accent. It's my punishment for all those years I made fun of the locals. One day as a joke I started saying "heyad" instead of "head," and it stuck. I'm never going to be taken seriously up North. I'm going to yell at someone and they're going to giggle and say, "She's so cute." That or they're going to try and convince me to say things.

You laugh. But that shit happens. I took my friend Tina up to Ohio and she became a local celebrity. We went to a party and the whole evening revolved around making Tina say things. "Say Momma." "Mawma." "Awwww!" "Say car." "Car." "Aw-Oh... I guess you don't say that any differently than we do." "Naw." "Awwww!" That poor girl was all mixed up. We went to Denny's and she ordered a sweet tea, so they brought her a hot tea with honey. She explained that she wanted a COLD sweet tea and they put ice cubes in it. The look on her face... It was like someone killed something right in front of her.

Back to the subject though... I'll have to make another vlog soon to prove that Hoop is still alive and that no, I didn't kill him. To answer
Orhan's questions: I was sitting in the backseat of my car because I was stranded right in front of my office building. The backseat was at least shaded and partially hidden from view. But just in case, I pretended to be talking on my cell phone so that no one would notice I was talking to myself. In reality I wasn't talking to myself, but rather the camera, which was another thing I didn't really feel like explaining to everyone.

(Hypothetical)
Coworker: Were you just making a video of yourself?
Tink: Um. Yeah.
Coworker: Why?
Tink: Because it makes me feel special.
Coworker: Oh.

Some of you are here to find out about the gift I got on Wednesday night. I'll fill you in, but I'm afraid you'll have to wait for pictures until tomorrow. Oh come on, it's not like suspense ever really killed someone.
Newt sent me a very original first edition of Twisted Tink. It's gorgeous. I would have paid someone a couple hundred dollars for work like this. The pages are burned around the edges and matted in a book with personalized decorations and designs for the theme of each chapter. Just thinking about it gives me the warm fuzzies. Thank you again Newt! You're an amazingly sweet and talented friend.

Don't forget
WWC tomorrow!

P.S. I haven't forgotten about your blogs! Work has been nuts. So I'll be checking on everyone once I get home tonight.

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

At 15 October, 2007, Blogger Newt said...

LOL, Measurable Controllables... say that ten times fast. The hubster has me repeat certain words when my Jersey accent slips out. I took the dog for a walk. You took the what for a walk? The dog. The Dowag? Anyway, I'm so happy that you liked your surprise.

 
At 15 October, 2007, Blogger fiwa said...

I can't wait to see the pictures of the book Newt made for you, that sounds so cool. Looking forward to more vlogs!

fiwa

 
At 15 October, 2007, Blogger Pamer said...

say Piggly Wiggly

hee hee

 
At 15 October, 2007, Blogger Lynnea said...

Way to go Newt!

I get that whole say this, say that thing too. And then they tell me I sound so 'cute' when I speak French. Only, for some reason, I'm not treated like a celebrity. What's up with that?

Hey Tink, next vlog say:

Il y a toujours bien astci d'limite

sounds like: ya too jobay assed ci duh limit

means: There's got to be a f**king limit!

My first french sentence my husband taught me. Isn't he sweet?

 
At 15 October, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually...I didn't think your accent was all that obvious, but then...I'm from Texas. It's a place where people are apt to say "fark" instead of "fork" and "fanger" instead of "finger". You sound fine to me.

 
At 15 October, 2007, Blogger Chelle Y. said...

Once in a very LONG while, I will accidentally use my New Jersey accent. Did I tell you l lived there for eight years? Yeah, long enough to have some of the words still stuck in my brain, especially when I am around my fellow Jersey friend who has not lost her accent one bit! She could be a Soprano! LOL!

I asked for soda once and the man brought me soda water. Ick!

 
At 15 October, 2007, Blogger Jay said...

When I lived in Texas my accent got even worse. Actually it comes out mostly when I drink. ;-)

"Oh come on, it's not like suspense ever really killed someone."

Well, you are trying to test that theory aren't you??? haha ;-)

 
At 15 October, 2007, Blogger Chris said...

That presentation title IS a good tongue twister. How about "Cinnamon Synonym" or "Aluminum Linoleum" instead??

Heh, after I lived in Orlando for 8 months, I had an accent for 2 years - I used to get SUCH grief about it. People would make me say things, too.

 
At 15 October, 2007, Blogger Kell said...

Damn Blogger wouldn't take the comment, so I'm going to try again.

Every place I've moved to, people "awwww" over my Southern accent. I worked in a human resources office and they insisted that I record the job line. I used to work hard to hide it, then I realized that a lot of men like it.

 
At 16 October, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My aunt and uncle used to come up from Georgia and visit. When I was about 7 or so they were up and they asked me, "How's scoo?" My mother had to explain to me that she meant How is school. Thing is, I didn't notice any accent on your vlog. I'll have to watch and listen I guess.

Yes, I would like to read the book. Let me know when it's my "turn". *L*

 
At 16 October, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't think your accent was THAT bad lol

We used to make my cousins from Pennsylvania say things like walk, talk, coffee so that we could hear
wak, tak, caffee lol good times!

 
At 16 October, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And yes your presence is missed in the cupboard, you should head over there

=)

 
At 16 October, 2007, Blogger Christy said...

Wait, wait...

So you thought it would be less strange to sit in the backseat of your car pretending to talk on the phone whilst videoing yourself...than let's say sitting in the front seat?

Lol.

 
At 16 October, 2007, Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

I am behind too. I haven't even been able to view the Vlog. :pouts:

happy day after monday.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home