Monday, October 01, 2007

This Space For Rent

Weekend Recap:
1. Friday night we went and saw "
The Kingdom."
2. REVIEW: This movie is probably the most intense I've ever seen. There were some parts that literally left me shaking. It's extremely graphic. But the plot is well formed and the subject matter is interesting because it hits close to home. Considering how touchy this topic is, they addressed it tastefully. They didn't make it into a shoot-em-up for the sake of having a shoot-em-up. It's not one I would buy though, or even watch again for that matter. But it was definitely worth seeing in the theater. Hoop and I gave this movie four out of five sporks.
3. Saturday afternoon, Hoop and I met up with my family at the local fair. We were particularly excited about this event because they'd advertised a BBQ contest. It was the anticipation of good food that convinced us $17 a head and $5 for parking was worth it.
4. Come to find out, the contest was closed to the public.
5. Then why the hell did they advertise it?!
6. We hadn't eaten all morning in order to make room for the bone sucking ribs that would never be. So we forked out an additional $15 to get lunch at the only crappy booth that offered it.
7. My chicken was so dry I ended up pitching it after a few bites. Hoop grumbled his way through a pork sandwich that looked more like pulled jerky.
8. We decided to make the best out of the situation and check out the rides.
9. The first ride we came across was "The Scrambler." It looked something like this:

10. Only, ours was run by a tractor.
11. The next ride was the "Tilt-A-Whirl." Big Bit and I were the only ones brave enough to get on it.
12. Despite the fact that we could only get the car to revolve a few times, it was fun. Then the ride slowed down and we noticed something unnerving.
Tink: What is that?
Big Bit: I don't know. *Toes it*
Tink: Oh my God! Is that supposed to come off?
13. It was the cap that covered the rod that held the damn car onto the floor!
14. I am NEVER going on another cheap fair ride again.
15. Although of all ways to die, flying off a fair ride would be one of the most memorable.
16. Second to being devoured by man-eating clowns.
17. After the ride we headed for the game booths. The one that held our interest the most gave bunnies and lizards aways as prizes.
18. For a moment I was sucked in by the cuteness. But then I remembered
Bunnicula and the spell was broken.
19. Have any of you read that series? It totally freaked me out as a kid. For some reason I didn't catch on that the bunny sucked the life out of VEGETABLES.
20. Saturday night, Hoop and I stayed up until 4am playing our respective video games. His game of choice was "
Resistance." Mine? "Fish Tycoon."
21. Can you tell who the freak is in our family?

Not Far From The Tree:
Papa Bear: Our bushes are starting to look good, huh?
Tink: Yeah.
Papa Bear: Except for these three. I think they're getting too much sun.
Tink: Yeah... Or it could be the fact that our dog pees on them every time we come over.

Tomorrow: The
WWC!

Wednesday: Thursday Good-bye September post.

Labels: ,

26 Comments:

At 01 October, 2007, Blogger Jay said...

HA! We both wrote about the fair today.

The fair is kinda like the Super Bowl. It never lives up to the hype and is actually usually more depressing than anything. But, we go back every year thinking it's going to be soooooo much fun.

Fish Tycoon? Yeah, that is freaky. LOL ;-)

 
At 01 October, 2007, Blogger furiousBall said...

I wish I could train Yogi to pee on the bits of grass that crop up in between my bricks. Dog pee kicks Round-Ups ass

 
At 01 October, 2007, Blogger Chris said...

You guys so need to come up for the Minnesota State Fair sometime. :)

 
At 01 October, 2007, Blogger mrspao said...

I'm with Chris - you really need to go to the MN state fair! You would not be short of food (on sticks)

 
At 01 October, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bummer about the ribs. $17.00 a head and $5.00 for parking sounds pretty steep to me. Especially for a ride powered by a tractor. Sheesh.

Devoured by man eating clowns...sounds a little like Steven King?

 
At 01 October, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That game looks weird... but I bet it's incredibly addicting!

The last time I went to the state fair, we rode this thing that was like a pirate ship on roids. We were strapped in, and then caged in. It worked just like the pirate ship does, but it kept getting higher and higher... and as it did it would creak louder and louder. We thought we were gonna die.
Fair rides are almost certain to give you one of those near death experiences.

 
At 01 October, 2007, Blogger Pamer said...

Imagine if it were a creepy clown running the tractor ride...He stands there cackling insanely while the broken down cars spin. Then, when the ride crashes he goes around stealing wallets and grinning...

 
At 01 October, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a really action packed weekend!

That is crazy about the carnival ride. Did you point it out to the toothless operator?

 
At 01 October, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see the Kingdom it looks pretty intense, you have to be in the right mindset for that kind of movie and usually I go for comedies, but I don't want to miss this one.

Thanks for the review!

 
At 01 October, 2007, Blogger Jen said...

Where you and Jay at the same fair?

OMG! Totally forgot about Bunnicula! Loved those stories! Wow! You just made my day.

Off to review your video game picks. . . I'm still hooked on Bioshock & waiting until we can get HALO 3! Damn those aliens!

 
At 01 October, 2007, Blogger Chelle Y. said...

It seems like every town was having a fair this weekend. We did too! :)

 
At 01 October, 2007, Blogger geenalyn said...

I loved the Bunnicula books (the Celery stalks at midnight et al). In fact Daynah just brought home a book order and the series was in it, so i've ordered it for her to read :)

 
At 01 October, 2007, Blogger tammy said...

When I was in high school, the local fair (which was quite large, beng in Ft. Lauderdale) had a mishap on one of the rides. It was one of those "spider" type rides, with the arms that spin. Anyway, one of the arms came flying off. No one died, but I think a couple people got hurt. They closed the fair for about 2 days. We went when it re-opened, thinking it was probable safer than ever.

 
At 01 October, 2007, Blogger Gracey said...

Sorry about my long winded blog...I put a shorter one on for today! :)

I think Fish Tycoon would be something I would play too! LOL

 
At 01 October, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I refuse to ride fair/carnival rides...I know that's how I'll meet my death!

 
At 02 October, 2007, Blogger the planet of janet said...

my parents never allowed me to ride a ferris wheel when i was little. so, of course, the first time i ever rode one, they had to STOP THE RIDE to get me off. can you say PANIC ATTACK?

 
At 02 October, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gave away bunnies and lizards? I'm not sure if I should pity the poor things or be jealous.

That was alot of mula to dump, that sucks. But I guess you knew that.

 
At 02 October, 2007, Blogger Terri said...

Thank goodness you were safe on that ride! My friend just told me about her aunt who went to a carnival in Louisville last w/e. She FELL OUT OF THE FERRIS WHEEL at about the 2 o'clock position. Broke 12 ribs, collar bone, compound fracture to femur and concussion. Can you imagine????

 
At 02 October, 2007, Blogger Newt said...

OK, so Minnesota State Fair 2008 it is. I'll buy the tickets. You just show up!

And #16 - LOL - I snorted my coffee out my nose.

 
At 02 October, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

+Bum fair! Scary falling apart ride! Fish Tycoon - Have you discovered cheatcodesweb.com/pc-cheats/fish-tycoon bigfishgames.com

 
At 02 October, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tee hee ... you said bone sucking .. man I'm a perv ...


~Jef

 
At 02 October, 2007, Blogger Nettie said...

I am so proud of you for staying so strong. Stick with it girl, you're doing great!

 
At 02 October, 2007, Blogger Lefty said...

Holy crap! Man eating clowns are the worst. That's the main reason I never go to Chuck E. Cheese any more.

 
At 02 October, 2007, Blogger mamatulip said...

Dude. Are you guys video game heads too?

 
At 02 October, 2007, Blogger Macoosh said...

fairs are creepy, but so appealing in their creepyness. it's like, you have to go...it's the same "don't look at the freaks" mentality. you go because you know it's screwed up and covered in weirdness but that's so appealing.

my friend and i went to a fair right around the time SARS was being talked about all the time, and we both got REALLY sick right afterwards...and ONLY we got sick. we decided we had carnie-sars. i decided i'd rather die from carnie sars than plain old sars. so, i agree, dying from a fair ride is at least interesting.

by the by, i freaking love your blog.

 
At 05 October, 2007, Blogger Spamboy said...

Yeah, is it an oxymoron when one of the attractions is called a "Scrambler"? I hate carnies.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home