Thursday, October 11, 2007

Good Things Come In Threes

Over The Weekend

Saturday morning, Hoop's Mom called to see if we'd like to go to a local home and garden show with her. My first reaction was, "A whole convention center filled with shit we can't afford? Woo-hoo!" Ok, so that was what I was thinking. What I said was more along the lines of, "Ugh. Coffeeeee." By two in the afternoon, with no follow up call from Hoop's Mom, we figured she had decided to go without us. We sat around and became one with the couch instead. Sunday morning, Hoop's Mom called again.

"Are you guys going to the Home and Garden Show today?" Hoop, figuring she was asking us to go with her, said yes. "Good! Because there's a steam cleaner I want you to pick up for me while you're there." So I bit my tongue and got ready to go. "This is ridiculous," Hoop said when we arrived. "We're paying money to go pick up a steam cleaner we don't even want." I shrugged. Mom's are good like that. When I lived at home, my Mom was able to convince me that picking up groceries for her on my way home from work was FUN.

As we were walking up to the building, two ladies walking to the side of us asked if we were going in. I could see that one had a pamphlet in her hand. I stared at it for a moment without answering, trying to see if the blob under her thumb was indeed a picture of Jesus. "Nnnn-yeah," I said reluctantly. The woman handed me the paper. It was a free ticket into the show. "My friend works for a TV station. They gave her more free passes than she really needs," she explained. "If you follow us, we'll get you another." I was so surprised, I kept thanking them over and over again.

Once in, Hoop and I were overwhelmed by the sheer size of the convention center. It was a honeycomb of rooms, all filled with loud booths of demonstrations and people trying to sell you things. It was like late night television. Only, you couldn't change the channel. "Nothing ever sticks to this knife," a woman at a sushi booth exclaimed. Then she brought the knife out of the roll she was preparing and it was covered in rice. "Um... That's what happens when you don't dip it in water first. Forgive me folks. I've been doing this all day."

"These little guys make the best pets." A gentleman in front of a Sugar Glider booth proclaimed to a growing crowd. "They even come when called!" Parents and children flocked to the booth for a chance to buy one or more of these $280 pets. What the advertiser failed to mention was, Sugar Gliders are nocturnal. Unless you and your family are vampires, expect to be kept from a good nights sleep by their constant chatter. Not only that, these cute little rodents require their own Sugar Glider friendly room! Hoop doesn't even have his own room.

After an hour of walking around, we were no closer to finding Hoop's Mom's steam cleaner. "I see a mop stand," Hoop told her on the phone. She responded by listing off all the ways the product she wanted was NOT like a mop. So we continued looking. Thirty minutes and three calls later, we still hadn't found the desired product. Finally, Hoop's Mom described what was around the item she wanted. "Mom," Hoop said. "The only thing in that area is the mop stand. The mop has a steamer on it. Is that it?" "That's it," she said. Hoop hung up the phone with a sigh. "We're here."

"If we're going to pay $140 of my Mom's money, I at least want a demonstration," Hoop told the guy at the booth. The guy cheerily went into his monologue, rubbing crayon on various forms of flooring while he spoke. The funniest part of the whole day happened when the salesman tried to steam a scuff mark off the vinyl floor and it wouldn't come off. "It just needs a moment," he said. Two minutes later he was sweating and motioning for his assistant to rub the mark off while he moved on to the next section. We still bought the stupid mop. I found out today that you can get them at Wal-Mart for $80.

Tuesday Night

A week ago I signed up for a contest to win free tickets to Universal Studio's Halloween Horror Nights. Hoop and I had gone for our anniversary last year and had a really great time. This year we'd decided it was too expensive for our budget. Saturday night, twenty minutes before the contest was set to end, Hoop signed up as well. For some odd reason, I was sure I was going to win. Sunday and Monday night passed and there was no email or phone call from the TV station. Then on Tuesday night, Hoop decided to check his email.

"Babe?" "Yeah?" "We won!" "Get out!" "We won second place! Two tickets to Halloween Horror Nights!" "Oh my God!" Then we jumped around screaming like a couple of idiots. I think contests should base who wins on how they're going to react. Imagine what we'd be like if we won something REALLY big, like a new car. Or a house that didn't already come with "renters". That's what I'm calling our termites now, renters. It makes me feel like I can kick them out at any time. So apparently lady luck is favoring us this month. Anyone want to rub my belly?

Last Night

I came home from work to find a package on my doorstep. After reading who it was from, I eagerly tore into it to see what it was. Then I fell on my butt in shock. What was in that box may very well be the best and most amazing gift anyone has ever given me. But I'm not ready to share it with you yet. Not to mention the fact that I haven't asked the giver if it's OK. But I just want to covet it for awhile. Have you ever been given a gift so cool you just want to keep it to yourself?

Labels: ,

26 Comments:

At 11 October, 2007, Blogger Newt said...

Free Tickets and more free tickets? That is SOOOO Cool! And a surprise in the mail, WOW. About damn time good things started happening to you in bunches!

 
At 11 October, 2007, Blogger Jay said...

Cool beans on the tickets!

I enjoy going to those home and garden shows. I always find lots of interesting stuff that I'll never get because I'll probably never own home, but what the hell. Oh and I always love to make the sales guy go through the whole routine even though there's no chance I'm gonna buy. Keeps them in practice.

Electronics shows are more fun though. All the toys and gadgets to play with. That is an all day adventure right there!

 
At 11 October, 2007, Blogger fiwa said...

Yeah, those home shows are good to go to once, in my opinion. So you know why not to spend money going again! They're just so overwhelming.

Congrats on the tickets, that's really cool. You are going to go in costume, right??

Can't wait to hear what your really cool present is - that was nice of whoever. Hope the good luck continues. :)

 
At 11 October, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, come on! You have to tell us after that kind of build up.

That's awesome about the tickets. I've seen the commercials for Halloween Horror Nights and it looks like a lot of fun.

 
At 11 October, 2007, Blogger Scottsdale Girl said...

YES - some gifts are precious and should be kept to yourself.

NOT!

 
At 11 October, 2007, Blogger Chelle Y. said...

YOU MUST TELL US NOW, TINK! :)

Have fun at the Halloween Adventure. If I won, I would have given you my tickets. I am a big chicken when it comes to scary things! :)

I have a lottery ticket. Will Hoop play it for me? LOL!

 
At 11 October, 2007, Blogger Pamer said...

don't worry everyone, i'll tell you what i got her. It was a "cheese of the month" subscription. A new and wonderful cheese will be hand delivered to her door, each month. 1st month is Gouda

 
At 11 October, 2007, Blogger Cat Herder said...

A client of DH's has one of those night-rats. The damn thing has to come to work in the guy's pocket...they need his body heat to sleep or something. Get a hamster, freak.

I wanna see the gift. You're such a tease, 'belle.

 
At 11 October, 2007, Blogger Hilary said...

That was very gouda you, pamer.

 
At 11 October, 2007, Blogger meno said...

I would never have taken you for a tease.

Well, actually yes i would.

The best presents i've ever gotten were words.

 
At 11 October, 2007, Blogger Lynnea said...

You are lucky. I've never won anything EVER. That is just going to have to change. I think the gift on the doorstep must top it all if you don't even want to tell us what it is. Did you ever see the movie Always? When Dreyfus gives Hunter a dress and she says "It's not the gift, its the way you see me". I got a gift that said just that and it really melted my heart.

 
At 11 October, 2007, Blogger Jen said...

You'll HAVE to take pictures to share of your Halloween Horror Nights! I can't wait to see . . .

Congratulations! It is about time that lady luck shone your way. Definitely.

Three's a charm.

 
At 11 October, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

An $80 mop? By God, that thing ought to do more than clean a floor for that price!

 
At 12 October, 2007, Blogger the planet of janet said...

free tickets, free tickets and the best and most amazing gift ever?

wow. send some of that luck my way!!

 
At 12 October, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to put you on my key chain and throw away my rabbits foot lol

 
At 12 October, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

keep us posted on how halloween horror night is this year...

oh yeah, your "renters" are as productive and pay as much rent as my current "tenants"

 
At 12 October, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been to those shows and they are a hot mess. I do enjoy the car show though. I keep all the pictures of me in the fancy cars. It also allows my daughter to dream and me to faint at the notion she'll be driving sooner than I expect.

Congrats on the ticket win. I haven't won anything in eons. I will touch the screen today with your blog - make it happen for me gal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also haven't received that cool a gift. I need to work on keeping my mouth shut cause I would have told someone, lol

Pamalicious
www.pamalicious.com

 
At 12 October, 2007, Blogger Terri said...

those "renters" paying rent????

 
At 12 October, 2007, Blogger Nettie said...

I have booked my flight to come rub your belly. I'm in need of a little lady luck!

 
At 12 October, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had better not have to wait all weekend to find out what you got!!! It will most definitely kill me!!

It was all I could do not to lose it when I thought about how you were going to have to pay to go to a show you don't want to go to just to buy something for someone else. That is too funny!

Can I have a virtual rub of the belly?

 
At 12 October, 2007, Blogger Chris said...

Where's the line forming to rub your belly?! ;)

 
At 12 October, 2007, Blogger CRUSTY MOM-E said...

What a cool week you had. I don't have horseshoeass syndrome..could I borrow yours for awhile? :)

you guys sound like a married couple talking about budgets and things. :)
Have fun at USHalloween and can you give us a hint what was in the package?

If I rubbed your belly, it'd bring on a baby, so I'd best to just borrow your horseshoe! :)
hahah.
Have a great weekend!
Always,
Crusty~

 
At 12 October, 2007, Blogger Aunt Jackie said...

Ooh!! Great post, and yes I covet thy gift lol... Whatsinever it is... I don't know if I have ever NOT wanted to share a gift though, because I (like my father) am like a broken refrigerator... I Can't Keep Nothin!

:) Have a great weekend!

 
At 12 October, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

But if you got the cheaper walmart mop, you wouldn't have seen the show that came with it!!

So are you going to show us the gift on your vlog? Or are you still hoarding it?

 
At 13 October, 2007, Blogger Lefty said...

Renters are actually big trouble. You may need a lawyer to evict them. I'd rather have termites.

As for the gift...don't tell. It will ruin it for all of us.

 
At 15 October, 2007, Blogger Christy said...

Holy mackenzie! I never win anything! Tickets for Halloween Horror Nights sounds fantastic! I love Halloween!

P.S. I dedicated a post to you on one of my blogs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home