Thursday, October 12, 2006

You can't keep a Blogger down...

It seems the Google Gods don't hate me anymore. I'm still researching our problem. Hopefully I'll have something useful to add by Monday.

UPDATE: Have you met Nunuf of Fickle and Whim? She's a friggin genius. The code she found that disables right-clicking can be found here. You can test it out on both our blogs to see if it's something you'd like to do too. Thank you Nunuf!

Punching Chads: So far on the
10/06/2006 poll about what unites us as bloggers, 55 people have voted.

70.9% of us came seeking a creative outlet
52.7% are looking for friends that share the same interests
36.4% are interested in photography
34.5% are bored with their job/life
32.7% are passing along a message or experience
21.8% are knitting or sewing hobbyists
18.2% are estranged from one or both parents
14.5% are going through a happy transition
12.7% are expecting an addition to the family
7.3% are mourning a loss.

Hunger Strike: Things have been wonky ever since Hoop quit his job last July. He stays up late. I get up early. We're rarely hungry at the same times anymore. The latter is the most upsetting. For the most part my weekdays are planned out for me. I get very little choice in what happens from 8-6, Monday through Friday. And from 6 on there are chores to be done, dogs to be played with, and dinner to be made. Ahhh dinner. I'm a skinny Italian. So I think when it comes to food there's a stereotypical fat Italian calling out from my subconscious, "Shovel it in PIGGY!" It's right up there with showers and sex.

I came home on Tuesday night craving Sushi. Hoop seemed agreeable enough when I mentioned it. But 30 minutes later as we drove toward the Japanese restaurant, he changed his mind. "I'm just really not that hungry babe." I don't like to eat alone. I especially don't like to eat alone with someone watching me. So it was obvious that Sushi was out. The idea of fast food repulsed me and I knew our cabinets were bare at home. So we went elsewhere in the hopes that Hoop would regain his appetite in a little bit.

The later it got, the grumpier I became. Until finally I was feeling starved and down right mean. Suddenly the whole thing had become an evil plot in my mind. "He's TRYING to starve me. He doesn't care if I eat or not. It's all about him. Fine. I'm not going to eat at all! And when I pass out, he'll be sorry." I know, it was completely irrational. But to be fair, I have low blood sugar. My brain stops working when my tank hits empty. So we headed over to his Mom and Grandparents' house.

"You want some food?" His Grandma asked when we walked in. "No, I'm fine." I grumbled while giving Hoop the stank-eye. "You should eat," Hoop suggested. I flopped down in the nearest chair and struck up a conversation with his Mom instead. Five minutes later Grandma strolled in and set a plate of hot Sloppy Joe in front of me. "I don't care if you're hungry or not! If you don't want it, leave it there." And then she was gone. I stared at the plate for a minute, determined to continue my food strike. But it looked so good. I demolished the meal in record time. After I was finished I went over and gave Hoop's Grandma a hug.

"I knew she would solve everything." Hoop told me as we drove home.

I nodded. "Grandma's are good like that."

Daily Hoop Conversation:
(While listening to NIN "The Hand That Feeds.")
Hoop: Would you bite the hand that feeds you?
Tink: Why would I bite my own hand?
Hoop: ...
Tink: Besides, I need that hand. I was only born with two.
Hoop: It doesn't say you have to bite it OFF.
Tink: Yeah, but I never do anything half-assed.

Daily Hoop Conversation 2:
Hoop: You say that, "cheating is doing something you couldn't tell your partner about" right?
Tink: Yup.
Hoop: Well, you weren't telling me that you were blogging.
Tink: That's different.
Hoop: No it's not.
Tink: So... you're implying that I was cheating on your with a computer?!
Hoop: *Grins*
Tink: That's right Hoop. Me and Mr... DELL here were getting it on while you weren't home.
Hoop: Oh-ho, Mr. Dell is it?
Tink: Dirty Dell if it pleases you.

Daily Hoop Conversation 3:
Tink: What do you think of the Pumpkin Spiced Ale?
Hoop: Um... I guess it's OK. I'd rather drink a regular beer though.
Tink: *Takes a sip*
Hoop: What do you think?
Tink: It tastes like Sushi.
Hoop: Hmm. I didn't get that at all.

October Search Terms:
(What people put into search engines that bring them here)
1. petnames mans privates Hold on, I'm thinking...
2. "riding the baloney pony" ...there you go!
3. preteen hooker Whatever you heard, it's all LIES!
4. Disney "i think he's trying to tell us something"
Yeah like, "I'm really a Pedophile hiding out in this Goofy suit. Come sit on my lap little kid."
5. sexy where's Waldo costumes There is nothing sexy about Waldo.
6. pickled pups Nasty, dude!
7. pickled mullet So you can what, wear it later?!

I'm thinking about playing hookie tomorrow. So in case I don't see you, "Good-afternoon, good-evening, and good-night." Don't forget to stop by Odd Mix's to catch the WWC words for this weekend!

23 Comments:

At 12 October, 2006, Blogger F&W said...

First commenter? HUH? *quizzical look on my lil' face*

TINK - Great news!! I just added a "no right-click" script to my blog and it works! I added a link to the site with the script so run, go now! - try it. Let me know what you think.

Thanks for letting us know about MamaT, splogging and b.i.t.a.c.l.e

YOU ROCK!

 
At 12 October, 2006, Blogger Foo said...

Hoop: Would you bite the hand that feeds you?

(While listening to Queensrÿchy, Operation Mindcrime)
I've bitten my own cheek before. More than once, actually. I don't recommend it.

I was once tempted to gnaw my own arm off, but I'd rather not go into specifics.

 
At 12 October, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My car act (turning into Mr. Hyde) is mostly a playful thing, just to get my family thinking I'm a jerk. BUT, don't let my blood sugar get low. I turn into Linda Blair in the Exorcist. Back in my younger days my buddies learned not to let me get hungry when we were camping or going out partying. Meek and mild little mamalujo turned into the Hulk when he was hungry. And I'm otherwise just about the nicest guy you'd ever meet.

And Conversation 2: So why DIDN'T you tell him about your blogging? (you don't have to answer that; have you noticed how hung up on that notion I am?)

 
At 12 October, 2006, Blogger Freakazojd said...

I did the right-click thing, too!! Yay!!! (I'm pretty excited, can you tell?)
I love your Hoop conversations, as usual. :)

 
At 12 October, 2006, Blogger F&W said...

Tink...LOVE the right click message. Make sure you take care of Twisted Tink too, k? ;)

 
At 12 October, 2006, Blogger Tink said...

Nunuf: *Slaps forehead* I totally forgot about TT. I think that's probably the more important blog to protect huh? LOL. I'll get it tonight.

Freakazojd: "Sorry WANKER." LMAO. Ok, that's priceless. Good show!

Mamalujo1: I didn't exactly hide the fact that I had a blog... I just didn't VOLUNTEER the information. ;)

Foo: Oh please, go into specifics! I'm dying to know.

 
At 12 October, 2006, Blogger Chris said...

Wee problem with that javascript - I have javascript disabled, unless I allow it for a particular page. With javascript disabled, I think I can still save things from a page running that script...

I know all too well that low blood sugar thing - if you wait too long to eat, suddenly not eating seems really rational.

 
At 12 October, 2006, Blogger F&W said...

Chris: I wondered if that would happen. I'm using IE at work at it allows scripts from EVERYTHING. At home, I use Firefox and I only allow scripts from pages that absolutely require it. I'm hoping it will be problem enough for most folks.

Anyone have any suggestions?

 
At 12 October, 2006, Blogger Jay said...

You know that Mr. Dell is a very very wealthy man? haha

And yes, grandmas are always good at taking care of things. Especially hunger.

 
At 12 October, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too have the capacity to disable scripts, thanks to a firefox extension. But I didn't have to use it - the script is entirely non-functional in Firefox.

And the ripping is most likely automated via feeds or http requests anyhow - not via manual cut and paste. Sorry.

 
At 12 October, 2006, Blogger Newt said...

I get the super cranky pants too when I am way too hungry. The hubster and I will be doing something and I'll just randomly bite his head off about lord knows what and he'll just say, "Let's go get some lunch/dinner/snack." He's figured out that feeding me gets far better results than a comment like "Well, aren't we bitchy today."

 
At 12 October, 2006, Blogger Pamer said...

I LOVE Pumpkin Ale. We have one up here in Canuckland made by Macauslan which is soooo good. Bad thing is they only make it in the fall.

I am dying for a sloppy Joe right now...but... right after I call my Gramma

 
At 12 October, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My family has a list to watch out for when I get a little grumpy. If I get too hungry, tired, hot...I don't know what all there is...

 
At 12 October, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being hungry makes me grumpy,too. I went on a short vacation once with a friend who NEVER ate. I got cranky waiting for her to pick a restaurant (she doesn't eat meat). Sloppy Joes sound awesome.

 
At 12 October, 2006, Blogger gawilli said...

Grandma's are good like that. Agreed.

We had some pumpkin spiced ale at Red Robins a few weeks ago. It was definitely interesting, but once was enough.

 
At 12 October, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess thats when you pull the car over, and leave their asses there to starve!

Eat alone, then sulk!

 
At 13 October, 2006, Blogger Foo said...

You guys are right about the script not helping against automated content scraping and about its not having any effect in some browsers. Heck, if someone really wants the image, all he/she has to do is view the page source, find the image url, and type it into the address bar. Hit enter, the image comes up, and right click/save as usual.

I have to admit I'm not quite grokking what happened to Mama Tulip. When I went to Barnacle [sic], all I saw was some sort of blogging search engine. When I searched on my blog, all I saw was excerpts from some of my posts and posts on other blogs that referenced my blog. I didn't see any sign of my posts being inlined without attribution, but maybe I've just been lucky.

Or maybe a script I have in my template makes that difficult. I used to find that sites were including my sites into frames on their, essentially making my content part of their site. I didn't like this, so I added a script that senses whether my pages are the "parent" or not. If not, it forces my page to break out of the frame and become the parent (if that makes any sense).

And while I'm being a buzzkill... I don't think that copyright notices are legally valid unless they contain our real, legal names. "Copyright © 2006, FooRider. Some rights reserved." may serve well enough as a fingerprint to show where scraped content originated, but I don't believe assigning copy rights to a pseudonym would carry any weight in an actual legal action.

But what do I know? I never even played a lawyer on TV.

I had one thought on this whole matter: just turn off the RSS (Atom, in my case) feed. Wouldn't that do it? Isn't that how the sploggers are nabbing content? I don't know whether anyone who reads my blog would ever miss the RSS feed, but I suppose one sure way to find out would be to turn it off and see if anyone woofs.

 
At 13 October, 2006, Blogger Amy said...

k, I selected text on your blog and right clicked and was able to copy and paste it into Word. So, is the script not working?

 
At 13 October, 2006, Blogger EE said...

Your search hits kind of freaked me out a bit, lol!

And *OMG* I have so totally done what you did to Hoop with the eating....what it accomplishes I have NO friggin' clue, but at the time that I am doing I always am thinking "I'll show YOU!" *humpf* LOL!

Enjoy your wkend Tink!

 
At 13 October, 2006, Blogger eric said...

all my grandma thinks about all day is how to feed someone else.

it's interesting the different approaches people take with their sites. i'm perfectly fine if anybody takes whatever they want from mine without asking.

now, whether they'd want to is a different story ...

e+

 
At 13 October, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tink, I tagged you! Go see!

 
At 14 October, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can still copy your stuff too. Although I never even thought to try, or still do not even want to,,,,,,,but I can still right click and take it all.

 
At 19 October, 2006, Blogger Andrew Fletcher said...

sexy where's Waldo costumes There is nothing sexy about Waldo.

I agree there's nothing sexy about Waldo but don't you think he looks a little like a weiner draped in a striped condom? That toboggon? C'mon. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home