Monday, November 06, 2006

The Snotty Bean

Weekend Update:
1. Hoop and I spent the weekend watching my parent's petting zoo house while they went to Orlando to celebrate their anniversary.
2. For those of you just joining us, that breaks down to ten dogs, three horses, three cats, and two kids.
3. By yesterday afternoon Hoop and I were both whining to each other, "When are they going to be home? It's tough playing farm hand!"
4. To be fair, neither of us are morning people. The only time I get up before seven is for work, and then I operate on caffeine and autopilot.
5. You can't be on autopilot when hauling three large buckets of feed to horses who would happily trample you for an alfalfa cube.
6. Saturday evening Hoop, Big Bit, Little Bit, and I drove out to the roller-skating rink.
7. It wasn't my idea.
8. I spent most of the night clutching Hoop's hand and babbling about how I was "surely" going to land on my face and bust out my teeth.
9. Hoop tried to reassure me. But I don't find responses like, "I'd take you to the hospital" or "Teeth can be fixed" that comforting.
10. And just as I was beginning to relax enough to start bending my knees a little bit...
11. ...it was time to go home.
12. Big Bit now refers to me as the "Frankenstein Skater."
13. Sunday we all went out to look at some houses with a NEW realtor.
14. The owners of the first house we looked at were laid up with Bronchitis. So we made the kids wait in the car as we shuffled through the house, trying not to breathe or touch anything in the process.
15. The owners of the next house were also home when we arrived. The husband happily volunteered to show us around. And by "us" I mean Hoop.
16. After rudely being left behind in several of the rooms and cut off from the conversations, I decided to wait in the middle of the house for everyone to finish their walk-through.
17. "Beautiful yard!" I exclaimed to the gentleman as we walked outside to leave. "It's even got a pond in the back," the man said, directing his reply over my head to Hoop.
18. On the way home, Hoop entertained the boys by stuffing his nose full of Boston Baked Beans.

19. Or maybe he was just entertaining himself.
20. Somewhere in the moments that followed, Lil Bit was dared (or perhaps he offered) to eat one of the snotty baked beans for $3.
21. "Sure!" Hoop declared, plucking the candy from his nose. "NO," I mouthed at him. My gag reflex was already starting to kick in.
22. He smiled back devilishly, plucking a fresh bean from the bag without the boys noticing. "Money first!" Lil Bit called out, taking the bean in his hand gingerly.
23. Then he ate it.
24. We were all so grossed out we forgot to tell him (until five minutes later) that Hoop had switched the beans. He didn't seem to care either way. He had his money.
25. Of course I called my Mom directly after. "Do you know what YOUR littlest son just did?!" I announced into the two-way. "You mean YOUR little brother?" She laughed back.
26. Damn. She's got a point.


Contest courtesy of
Odd Mix:

Ephemeral

The days of this being our "home" are winding down.

Enduring

The bond between a boy and his horse.

(Some Random Weekend Pictures)

Lucky U


Hoof Prints


Blink


Hoop's "What Is This?" Game:
(Answer for last week: Popcorn ball mix)


Countdown Until Hoop And I Are Homeless: 15 Days

22 Comments:

At 06 November, 2006, Blogger Gracey said...

I'm envious about the horses. I would do about anything to be able to take care and own a horse. I'm sure waking up really early and having to feed them would get old after awhile, but I think I would still enjoy it. Funny story about the beans! :)

 
At 06 November, 2006, Blogger Mignon said...

I Hoop deep-fried in that picture? I guess that would explain the bean and the eyes... and who eats Boston baked beans anyway? That activated my gag reflex.

You disparage your home so much that the picture of the front was completely unexpected. It's adorable.

 
At 06 November, 2006, Blogger Mike Y said...

Beautiful horse. About the closest I get to being a ranch hand is hauling bags of feed out of the truck and dumping it into the bins. I don't do the feeding, though certainly up early enough.

And I don't think I'll ever be able to eat boston baked beans ever again ;) I used to love them. Tell Hoop thanks!

And I suspect you managed to keep all of your teeth?

 
At 06 November, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are crimped oats.

 
At 06 November, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

2. Pathetic ;)
The Odd Farm = 40 goats, 35 chickens, 12 guinea fowl, 12 horses, 10 cats, 2 dogs, and 1 rabbit.
4. Me neither
5. Nope
18. I am going to spork my own eyes out

Your enduring picture is gorgeous. And so is "Blink".

 
At 06 November, 2006, Blogger Tink said...

Gracey: Don't get me wrong, having horses is wonderful. But it takes a lot of hard work (and money) to get to the point where you can enjoy them. Hoop and I are a little burned out to enjoy anything that reduces our sleep more than it already has been. :)

Mignon: Nah, he has naturally "fried" eyes. I hate BBB too. Bleh. And then to witness a kid eating one he believed had been up someone's nose? That did me in.

Mike Y: No teeth injuries. I don't think I went fast enough to hurt myself too badly if I HAD fallen. *Sigh* I remember being so fearless as a kid. What the hell happened??

Oddmix: I knew I should have told you not to guess. Lol Looks like Hoop is going to have to pick harder subjects.

 
At 06 November, 2006, Blogger Jay said...

Owning a farm always sounds like it would be so much fun. Then I think about all long hours and getting up with the sun and all the hard work. Then I think a lot apartment in town sounds better.

He offered to eat a snot bean for only $3? I would have held out for $5.

 
At 06 November, 2006, Blogger Newt said...

Love the pictures, they are fabulous. You and hoop can always come visit us if you want a smaller version of the chaotic farm. 4 dogs and 4 cats are a little easier to take. I said a little............

 
At 06 November, 2006, Blogger Tink said...

Mignon: Almost forgot...

"You disparage your home so much that the picture of the front was completely unexpected. It's adorable." Thank you! It would probably stay adorable too if they weren't building a road right next to the house. :(

Jay: I know! I thought $3 was a pretty cheap payoff too. Usually I don't do dares for less than $15. And we're not talking about anything nearly as disgusting as snotty beans. I should teach the kid better.

Newt: You should know by now, visiting you would be a TREAT.

 
At 06 November, 2006, Blogger graymama said...

Hooray for the new realtor!!!

I hate when some men act like only those with a penis count!

Buddy stuck a bean up his nose the other day and totally freaked out because he couldn't get it out. graymama saved the day :-)

The enduring shot it GREAT! It is the same look Hubby gets when he cuddles with Golden :-)

 
At 06 November, 2006, Blogger Arabella said...

"Hoop tried to reassure me. But I don't find responses like, 'I'd take you to the hospital' or 'Teeth can be fixed' that comforting."

Quote of the day! I laughed so much my stomach hurt.

Wouldn't it be funny if you bought the sexist guy's house, but would only tender the check to his wife?

And, yes, your house is adorable! You have obviously taken good care of it.

 
At 06 November, 2006, Blogger EE said...

OMGoodness besides the amount of dogs (although at one time I had almost 20 wolf hybrids) it sounds like you were visiting MY house! LOL! And yeah...it IS a lot of work.

So...are you available the next time *I* go out of town??? Hmmm??? ;)

Ok...the bean story. Eww!

I'll come back to comment on your pics after I look at them on Mike's comp. For some reason they NEVER load on mine, and you always have such *great* photos. So I'll be back. :)

 
At 06 November, 2006, Blogger Jess Riley said...

Frankenstein skater! I love it. Also, those pictures are all fantastic--even the baked beans-in-the-nose shot. Hilarious.

 
At 06 November, 2006, Blogger gawilli said...

When my dad was a kid the beans he stuck up his nose were real, and they sprouted. My grandma used to tell that story! What do you think?

I loved the enduring picture also, but Blink really caught my attention.

 
At 07 November, 2006, Blogger EE said...

Ok, I'm back, now I've seen your pics. The Paint horse is *sooooo* pretty! But my very favorite pic is the close up of the gray horse's eye. STUNNING. LOVE that pic.

:)

 
At 07 November, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you have kids and you stuff your nose with Boston Baked beans. Great role model. What will they stuff their noses with, I ask you? Tootsie Rolls? LOL

 
At 07 November, 2006, Blogger Foo said...

I believe I'll start referring to my booglets as "nose beans".

 
At 07 November, 2006, Blogger Tink said...

Graymama: Aw, poor Buddy. It's a lesson all of us have to learn at some point. It took a marble up the nose that wouldn't come out for two hours before I got the lesson.

Arabella: I think Hoop's a little desensitized to it because he already knocked out his front tooth. It wasn't during a skating accident though. He jumped up to bite a cord hanging off the attic door when he was 14. I still haven't figured out what he had hoped to accomplish. So in his mind, teeth really can be fixed.

EE: What did you do with all those wolf hybrids? Papa Bear, who works for a propane company, went to a customer's house who had 10 large cats (Lions/Panthers/Leopards) in her backyard!

"So...are you available the next time *I* go out of town???" Sure! All you have to do is pay for my ticket up there. ;)

Jess: I totally deserved the horrible nickname. There were three year olds skating better than me.

Gawilli: Of course I believe you! My dad ate a watermelon seed when he was little and it sprouted in his stomach. I thought the story was so cool growing up. Although I never did touch another watermelon.

Chelle Y: I never understood why they called them Boston Bake BEANS. Aren't they peanuts?

Anon: I should get a head start now and invent something that extracts foreign objects out of little kids' noses. Maybe a really tiny hose? Or one of those pickle pluckers?

Foo: I think "Booglets" is pretty cute myself!

 
At 07 November, 2006, Blogger Chris said...

LMFAO at that picture of Hoop! And your other photos are absolutely wonderful - as usual. :)

 
At 07 November, 2006, Blogger EE said...

LOL Tink, I'm thinkiing if I'm paying for a ticket for you to come out here, it wouldn't make much sense to LEAVE. *snort*

For numerous years I ran a Wolf/Wolf-Hybrid rescue. Over the years I either found them appropriate homes or they have gotten elderly and either had to be put to sleep or passed away. I have two left right now. :)

 
At 14 November, 2006, Blogger mrspao said...

Eeeww Boston baked beans will never be the same for me now....

 
At 14 November, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Mignon. Your house is cute and not at all what I expected based on your descriptions.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home