Monday, October 23, 2006

McMonday

Weekend Recap:
1. Friday night Hoop and I toasted his first week of work with Lattes and Chai.
2. Which was preceded by Sushi and followed by Creme Brulee Cheesecake.
3. As I was burping up the combination that night, I decided getting piss ass drunk would have been a better way to celebrate.
4. Saturday afternoon our eventful day of doing nothing was interrupted by a knock on the door.
5. This is the part where I tell you something great happened that will change Hoop and my life forever.
6. Unfortunately, I won't know if that's true for three more months.
7. Our guests were an older couple interested in looking at the house. Evidently they'd been trying to call my Realtor all day to no avail.
8. Have I mentioned how glad I am this woman is working so hard for me?
9. After checking out the house, the couple struck up a conversation about Realtors. "They're a huge waste of time and money. We'd much rather do a transaction without them."
10. Then they left me with their numbers and the suggestion that I call them once my contract was up.
11. If I were a superhero, old people would be one of my weaknesses. I can't seem to keep my mouth shut when they're around.
12. Before they left they had me confessing to problems with the neighborhood... "It's mostly Rednecks. They like to surf in the ditches when it rains."
14. ...and agreeing to drive out and look at their modular for sale. "It's a modular? It has less land AND house? It's in the biggest redneck district of North Florida? Awesome!"
15. What the hell is wrong with me?
16. Early this morning my Realtor called to inform me that activity is increasing again on my house. "Someone's coming by to look at it today! Oh, and we got a few calls about it over the weekend."
17. Of course she failed to mention she didn't answer those calls.
18. Saturday night Hoop and I went out to see
"The Departed."
19. For weeks I've been bottling up emotions about Hoop's new job, my struggle with work and the house, and my never ending obligation to keep everything running.
20. As we stood in the theater parking lot all of those bottled-up emotions finally spilled over, reducing me to a babbling mess.
21. After Hoop got over his initial shock and confusion, we walked around the theater a half dozen times to discuss ways of making me... less messy.
22. People stared as they left the theater. I'm sure they were wondering, "What movie did SHE watch?"
23. Order has since been restored. We went and saw the movie, two hours later. And it wasn't half bad.
24. The most important thing is that I have a wonderful man who doesn't freak at me crying in the middle of a parking lot like an idiot. Instead, he tells me everything's going to be OK and then lets me wipe my snotty nose all over his shirt.
25. When we left for home at 10pm there were 9 cops surrounding the theater, plus a check point. Then a voice called out over a loud speaker, "Anyone under the age of 18 that is here after midnight will be taken to jail."
26. Curfew is a huge deal in Jacksonville. It's so huge the cops ignore all the prostitutes (we counted two) and bums (one offered us Vodka) just down the street from the theater.
27. Sunday, Mom and I went out Christmas shopping. Well that was the excuse anyway. I think I bought more things for myself than anyone else.
28. That doesn't make me selfish. Lotion and books makes ME happy, which makes everyone else around me happy too. See how that works?
29. Mom told me a story about a guy who was eating at her local McDonalds a few days ago. In the middle of his meal he stood up and announced, "I have Boardwalk!"
30. Everyone in the restaurant started applauding.
31. Fifteen minutes later he announced it was a joke, and people started pelting him with their drinks.
32. Then the restaurant manager asked him to leave. Apparently the workers of the restaurant where the winning piece is discovered win something as well. The employees had begun celebrating the moment the man had announced he'd won.

33. Sheesh. Nice joke. I wonder, was it worth it?
34. Last night Hoop and I went to a local haunted house put on by the sheriff's department.
35. It cost $4 to get in, and it was better than most of the haunted houses we'd seen at Halloween Horror Nights. Go figure, huh?
36. No matter how good it was though, I couldn't help but feel dirty about giving the cops money. "I STILL don't think that speeding ticket in 2002 was justified!"
37. P.S. 13's gone invisible, and I'm too lazy to go find it.


Contest courtesy of
Odd Mix:

Delicate

Like this church window, religion itself can be a delicate subject.

Intense

This Fire Breather's act was so intense my camera couldn't decide what to focus on.

(Some Random Weekend Pictures)

Crowded


A Face In The Door



18 Comments:

At 23 October, 2006, Blogger Newt said...

Great pictures as always my friend. Glad to hear that hoop was there to take care of you during your meltdown. Everything is going to be okay. You always have us too :-)
**Hug**

 
At 23 October, 2006, Blogger Mary said...

Sounds like a good weekend--it's nice to get some stuff out in the open re:the parking lot. I hope its going better now :)

and coolio about the old people! I hope SOMETHING works out for you guys soon regarding the house!

 
At 23 October, 2006, Blogger Mike Y said...

Nice realtor. You should definitely be able to get out of the contract given performance and what the old couple said. But you need to re-read it to be sure.

The guy in McDonalds was crazy!

And I remember the curfews in Jax, but I never thought they were that serious when I lived there.

 
At 23 October, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We could Christmas shop together quite well, I think! :)

Lovely pictures, especially "crowded". So cute!

 
At 23 October, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're Christmas shopping already? Man! That makes me feel like such a slug!

 
At 23 October, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's good to melt down every once in a great while and get it out of your system. Cheers to #24. Having a house on the market for a long time in a down market is STRESSFUL girl. Hang in there and buy yourself as much hand lotion as you want!

 
At 23 October, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mannnnnn now you can't tell us ahead of time what you're shopping for, for hoop. Since he reads this and all,,,,

 
At 23 October, 2006, Blogger Chris said...

Whoa. I've never heard of curfews like that. Whoa.

Christmas shopping: One for dad, 3 for me. One for my brother, 2 for me. Etc. ;)

Great pictures, as always!

 
At 23 October, 2006, Blogger Peevish said...

I'm sorry your meltdown happened in the parking lot - mine tend to happen in interesting public places sometimes, as well... but I am glad that you're feeling a little better now. And what books did you buy??

 
At 23 October, 2006, Blogger Jay said...

I kind of agree on the cops focusing on the teenagers more than the hos and bums. The teenagers cause A LOT of trouble.

Great pictures. That fire breather is crazy.

 
At 23 October, 2006, Blogger gawilli said...

Your theory of Christmas shopping and my daughters are very much alike. It doesn't work well for me because we both end up buying for her. Hmmm. What am I doing wrong here?

Agreed on the religion picture - it can be an intense subject also. I particularly love the crowded house pic!

 
At 23 October, 2006, Blogger Lucia said...

Whew! Busy weekend. Your photos are great. I especially like the face in the door and the fire eater.

 
At 24 October, 2006, Blogger EE said...

Your melt down in the paking lot sounds exactly like something I would do. Hoop rocks though. :)

I guess that's great news activity is picking up on your house again! Hopefully your agent will begin working poss a bit 'harder' for you....my goodness.

Love the pics, as usual. Love the birds in the nest!

 
At 24 October, 2006, Blogger Arabella said...

Hoop's a keeper. And he's a lucky man.

I really hope everything works out with the house.

And now I'm craving sushi and creme brulee.

 
At 24 October, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tink, I have to say that you crack me up AND get me thinking. Not on the toilet of course.(re: previous)

Anyway, your realtors in Florida SUCK. I spent a week house hunting...I could start by complaining about the phone call conversations prior. During which they knew nothing about anything. People are paying them money to sell their homes?

But when I got there, I kept explaining what I was looking for, essentially some "redneck Florida" avoidance. An actual town, with maybe a store that was not Big Box.Character? "In Florida???" One asked. Ok so Im the crazy one, whatever,find me a house.

Anyway, I kept getting taken to gated communitites and golf.NOT that there's anything wrong with that, I have that now. But...
I kept saying "I dont want a gated community".

"Oh, yes, you really do. Its the way to keep your values up."
"No, I really dont want a gated community."
I ask a person I meet at an aquarium. "Oh, you want restrictions in Florida, otherwise you live with blacks and hispanics."

As opposed to fuckwits like YOU????

I hate accidentally talking to racists. Catches me off guard every time.

 
At 24 October, 2006, Blogger Tink said...

Newt: Thank you! It's great to have friends to lean on. And fortunately for you guys, I can't have full blown meltdowns over the internet like I can in real life. ;)

Mike Y: They've just started getting serious about the curfew over the last three years. Its a little like a warzone now. I mean, they had a ROADBLOCK. Glad I'm all grown up now. :D

Wordgirl: I used to do everything last minute. But then I met this guy, you might know him, Hoop? He does his shopping really last minute. And I can't do mine AND his shopping on the last day, otherwise they'd have to commit me.

TB: I'm glad to know my meltdown was justified at least. I was beginning to wonder if I just needed to "grow a pair."

Anonymous: You don't like surprises? ;)

Peevish: "Shantaram" by Gregory David Roberts, on the recommendation of Newt. It looks to be a really interesting read.

Jay: Yeah, but which would you rather face on a dimly lit street?

Gawilli: I'm usually more productive, and a whole lot more giving. I just didn't really feel charitable that day. And the "Christmas" shopping was more of an excuse anyway. ;)

Chelle Y: Awesome! I'll hop on over after lunch.

Arabella: See? Both wonderful dishes... individually. Not so much together.

 
At 24 October, 2006, Blogger Tink said...

Lily: I love the Florida sun and beaches... But sometimes I wonder if it's enough to make up for all the idiots in this state. I think the Realtors around here are especially bad because they think, "Hey, it's Florida. The houses here will essentially sell themselves!" So they don't work. In fact, they do the opposite. They move backwards.

 
At 27 October, 2006, Blogger Andrew Fletcher said...

Excellent pictures. The stained glass is exceptional.

The haunted house by the police department? How can it not be good? Think of all the scary disgusting things those guys have seen, other than kids out past their curfew.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home