Monday, October 16, 2006

Under The Rug

Weekend Recap:
1. Thursday night Hoop's AG (Alzheimer Grandfather) passed out at the dinner table and couldn't be roused.
2. The hospital is pretty sure it was a heart attack, although they can't be sure. Naturally, AG has no memory of it.
3. When we went to visit, Hoop and I expected the worst. I envisioned a bedridden old man hooked up to feeding tubes, monitors, a *shudder* catheter.
4. Instead we were greeted at the door by a cheerful "Hello!" and the sight of AG rushing around his room as if on crack, moving the bed and unplugging things...
5. ...including his I.V.
6. He was under the impression the nurses were screwing things up just to spite him. "That doesn't get plugged in there. Don't they know anything? It goes over here!"
7. He also believed his wife had stuck him in the hospital so she could have some peace and quiet.
8. We assured him there were much cheaper ways of doing that.
9. AG's going under the knife today to get a new pacemaker. Keep him in your thoughts for us.
10. Although he probably doesn't need it. The man has a profound will to live. He's probably going to outlast Hoop and I.
11. Friday, Hoop and I went out to go clothes shopping for his new job.
12. I realized within the first thirty minutes that I didn't know nearly as much as I'd thought...
13. ...and that Hoop knew even less.
14. Fortunately, a gentleman at JC Penny's took pity on us and gave instructions on the basic needs of someone starting out in the corporate world.
15. Which of course included NOTHING of what we'd previously bought. Fuck!
16. Thank God we have that Money Tree.
17. On the way into the mall we stopped by a place called "Puppy Village."
18. It consisted of one dirty and dimly lit room. In the middle of that room were 20-25 plastic kiddie houses lined up in a circle. Each plastic house contained a different breed of puppy.
19. The place should have been named "Puppy Mill Village."
20. Then we came across a group of people admiring a tiny bird that had run into a glass window.
21. As I picked it up to relocate it Hoop chimed in with, "It probably has the bird flu."
22. A man nearby took three steps back and told us to "have a nice day."
23. I'm assuming the bird was OK. It was gone when we got out.
24. Saturday at 10 Hoop and I were awoken by the sound of the phone.
25. Yeah you heard me, 10. We go to bed late, OK?
26. It was the real estate agency. There were prospective buyers on the way.
27. In a sleepy haze I asked, "WHO is this?!" It's been a month since anyone came to look at the house. I think I forgot the house was even for sale.
28. After requesting a 30 minute delay, Hoop and sprinted through the house picking up dishes and dirty clothes. 20 minutes later we parked down the street with the dogs, tired and pant-less. I was too concerned with cleaning to think about clothes.
29. 15 minutes after that, with no sign of the buyers, I called the real estate agency back. "Oh yeah! They called and canceled." The realtor replied.
30. I didn't know whether to laugh, cry, or just crawl back into bed.
31. Saturday night we all went out to celebrate MY Grandfather's birthday.
32. The restaurant we always meet at has the most awful food. But it's a good central point, so we continue going.
33. That night I made the mistake of ordering the soft shell crab sandwich.
34. I didn't know "soft shell" meant that they'd cook the crab WHOLE.
35. I knew something was wrong the moment I took off the bun and saw a deep fried patty with two claw shaped lumps sticking out.
36. But I'm adventurous... and cheap. I figured if I was being charged for it, I might as well try it.
37. I took a bite. *CRUNCH* As I pulled away from the sandwich a piece of soggy shell dangled off my lip. I almost puked.
38. I think I'll order a salad next time.
39. Jump ahead to this morning... Hoop started his new job at a financial company!
40. He woke me up at 6:30 to announce that he could see his nipples through his shirt.
41. Evidently we'd remembered to buy everything BUT undershirts.
42. After a quick wardrobe change Hoop was on his way.
43. Once he'd left I walked around the house picking up the trail of disguarded tags that ran from the bathroom, to the bedroom, to the closet, to the hallway, to the kitchen...
44. Think he was nervous this morning? ;)


Contest courtesy of
Odd Mix:

Hello (New Friend)




Good-bye (Sun)


(Some Random Weekend Pictures)

Shrimp Fishing


Berry Vine


Bright Idea


Nothing But Time


Tomorrow, a meme passed to me from Mamalujo1.

23 Comments:

At 16 October, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell Hoop with a corporate job he has to be extra diligent in getting exercise. Unless he WANTS a beer gut.

Nice profile picture. Reminds me of JLo. But I bet you're much nicer than she is!

Can't wait for the meme.

 
At 16 October, 2006, Blogger Newt said...

Those pictures are incredible. You are such a good photographer. And your entire weekend recap, hillarious. I'll keep my fingers crossed for AG. My uncle just had his replaced and they didn't even put him to sleep. Aunt Betty said it took less than 5 minutes and he was up and pacemaking again!

 
At 16 October, 2006, Blogger EE said...

I always *adore* your pics...they are all amazing. I was going to tell you my favorite...but then it occured to me I love them ALL, lol.

LOL about the 'tag trail'.

And that sandwich....um, *blech*...ewwwwww.

 
At 16 October, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

those pictures are very, very beautifully composed. although ... looking at the reflection with the bird, i think there's somebody stalking you with something in their hand.

seafood's tricky. i always play it safe. i still remember when me and my wife first moved to the coast and she thought some slime on a crab leg was "seasoning." that was interesting ... for her.

e+

 
At 16 October, 2006, Blogger Tink said...

Mamalujo1: >>Unless he WANTS a beer gut.<< That would be pretty funny. Leave a beer distributor and GAIN a beer gut. ;)

Newt: Thank you! I just called Hoop's Mom and AG is going into surgery any minute. They said it should only be a 30 minute procedure. The miracles of modern science never cease to amaze me.

EE: While I was picking up the tags I felt like Gretel. Like, "Where is this leading me exactly?" hehe

Eric: I know, I wish I could edit out the background. Maybe insert a tropical setting? lol.

You know, I don't get grossed out too easily. But between my crab shell sandwich and your wife's slime I think I'm good without the seafood for awhile!

 
At 16 October, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVE the picture of you with the bird.

I'm sending good thoughts for Hoop's grandfather. I hope the surgery went well.

 
At 16 October, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As always, your pics are gorgeous. Loooove the birdie pics!

On a side note, I left for a number of reasons. The splogging was a minor issue compared to how much time blogging was sucking from my evenings. 'Til my life gets settled again, I needed to just step away from the keyboard, you know?

 
At 16 October, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I surely hope you do not stop blogging Miss Tink-i-licious. Seems like everyone is. You are so darn pretty, that if I weren't happily married to a man, I'd gladly duel hoop at dawn with some crab claws for your love!!!!!!

 
At 16 October, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tink crossed with Snow White! I love the bird picture!

Hottie bitch.

Best to your family, thats rough.

 
At 16 October, 2006, Blogger Tink said...

TB: Thank you! It was the craziest thing. How often do you see a wild animal that so readily lets someone pick it up?

Chelle (of F&W): As long as it was for your own personal benefit and not because some stupid splogger scared you off. Of course I understand! But that won't stop me from missing you.

Anonymous: I don't plan on going anywhere any time soon. Unless work actually DOES drive me to the loony bin like I've predicted. Do you think they have computers there? ;)

Lily: "Hottie Bitch" *Snort*

I'll give you all an update on AG tomorrow. He's out of surgery and recovering well. But it didn't exactly go as planned. So much for the marvels of modern science.

 
At 16 October, 2006, Blogger Arabella said...

I can't believe the realtor didn't call you back. As Michelle Tanner would say, "How rude!"

For the record, I consider 10 am on a Saturday to be the frickin' middle of the night!

 
At 16 October, 2006, Blogger Pamer said...

I've had that "can you see my nipples through this shirt" convo with Mrs. Pamer many times. I only buy coloured dress shirts now...it might've been cheaper to get a few wife beaters but i was afraid you could see THEM through the shirt too.

 
At 16 October, 2006, Blogger Mignon said...

First, so sorry about AG!! I love AG. And were you picturing the catheter just kind of dangling out of his unit? Typically they put a sheet or something over the equipment...

Also, I just read recently in Esquire that the proper undershirt etiquette is a skin-tone T-shirt, if absolutely necessary. Like if he sweats like a pig or has pokey nipples. I think you can get them online.

 
At 16 October, 2006, Blogger gawilli said...

I love the goodbye sun picture the most. That little finch does look dazed and confused.

Hope the first day at work went well. First day jitters are the pits!

 
At 16 October, 2006, Blogger Lucia said...

Lovely photos, but I would have loved to see the crab sandwich. Eeww!

 
At 16 October, 2006, Blogger Mike Y said...

LOL! ...maybe had the bird flu. :)

And I would have made the same mistake on the soft shelled crab, but I would have puked. Eck!

And if you ever get fashion questions, fire 'em off ;)

 
At 16 October, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope Hoop's day went well.

Your photography just keeps getting better and better. I love the inventive ways you find to look at everyday things. I think that Doc Ern would probably identify that wee bird as a wren.

Mine are up now, too.

 
At 17 October, 2006, Blogger Jay said...

Sorry to hear about Hoop's Grandad. Hope all turns out well.

And I hope Hoop's first day on the job went well.

Great pics!

 
At 17 October, 2006, Blogger Molly said...

I am glad that you have a "Money Tree." Do they grow in Florida? Perhaps, that is what is in your picture with red flowers. No?

I love the bird pictures. One of my first pets was a finch that ran into our picture window.

 
At 19 October, 2006, Blogger Freakazojd said...

Oh my God, there are so many things to respond to...I hope I remember everything I want to say! :)
Absolutely I will be thinking of Hoops AG, especially after reading your subsequent post.
What a crazy freakin' weekend!
Ew GROSS on the sandwich.
And last but not least, your photos just keep getting better and better! Very nice! I like!

 
At 19 October, 2006, Blogger Freakazojd said...

Oh damn.
ANDast but certainly not least...
CONGRATS, HOOP! Hope your first week is going well!! :)

 
At 19 October, 2006, Blogger Andrew Fletcher said...

Soft shell crab sandwichs are one of my favorite things in the world. mmmmmm.

In agreement with mamalujo, tell Hoop to take the stairs. It's usually faster and you usually meet some pretty cool or weird folks in there.

Your pics are incredible!

 
At 20 October, 2006, Blogger Chris said...

Gorgeous pictures, especially the one of you and the bird.

I might never try a softshell crab sandwich now...

Hope AG is fine!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home