Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Pinny Da Who

The English language is fascinating all by itself. But once you start mixing in accents, little kids' pronunciation , and alternatives to cussing, you get a whole new variety of conversation. My best friend (and coworker) has the cutest backwoods dialect. She's the only person I know who could pull off the word, "brung" without making me cringe and clutch my ears in pain. She's also got quite the sailor mouth on her, which makes it interesting while at work. There isn't a day that passes where she can't be heard calling out, "Cheese and Rice (Jesus Christ)" or "Son of A Biscuit Eater (Son of a Bitch)" to keep herself from shouting obscenities.

Most little kids have a problem with the word, "Spaghetti." Not I. I couldn't say, "Magazine." I said, "Mazagine." I also called frogs "Fucks" and liked to proclaim it loudly whenever we went into a crowded place. Lil Bit, my youngest brother, used to say "Pinny Da Who" instead of "Winnie The Pooh." Hoop, as a child, couldn't pronounce "Macaroni and Applesauce" and fondly called it "Macanonie and Applehause" instead. My favorite though comes from an old family friend. Their little girl used to call out to her mother angrily, "NO! You do it myself!" when she wanted something done. They could never figure out if she needed help or not lol.

Sometimes childhood parlances stick in place and follow us into adulthood. I've mastered "Magazine" but I still can't say "Prefer" without screwing it around to sound like, "Perfer." I'm just glad I'm not the only one:

Hoop: Why does Duff keep eating eggcorns?
Tink: I don't know. Maybe it's like popcorn to him.
...
Tink: What did you call them?
Hoop: Eggcorns?
Tink: Lmao. They're Acorns babe.
Hoop: But they look like eggs! What the hell does an "A" look like?!

Questions for the Day:
What alternatives to cussing do you use?
What words couldn't you say when you were little?

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 20 December, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We call them Nacorns because when you say it in a sentence it runs together. "I just got hit in the head with a nacorn."

 
At 20 December, 2005, Blogger mamatulip said...

I don't really remember words I couldn't say when I was a kid but I've always called cheesies 'buddos'.

Julia calls pictures 'pixtures'. She gets 'magazine' and 'magnet' confused so it comes out like 'magdanzeen' and she calls both magazines and magnets that.

You mean I'm supposed to mask my swearing? ~gasp~ I try to, seriously, but it's fuckin'...er, fudgin' hard. I love Cheese and Rice. I'm so gonna use that...that particular phrase is one that I commonly use and have heard Julia repeat from time to time.

 
At 20 December, 2005, Blogger Tink said...

TB: Lol Nacorn. That's cute! I've caught myself saying, "Ninernet" before.<- Pronounce "Internet" with an N on the beginning and drop the T.

Mama T: Magdenzeen is such a mouthful! You should record her. Eventually she's going to say it right and it'll be harder and harder to hear it how it was.

 
At 20 December, 2005, Blogger Brooke said...

I said "mazagine" too! :)

And whenever I'm blessed with a wee one who may imitate my profound love of a good salty epithet...I'm gonna have to get VERY creative.

 
At 20 December, 2005, Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

WE say frick', crumb and shoot. All very boring. An occassional son of a gun, sunny beaches or dagnabit.

There wasn't anything I did not say when I was a child and I still have the second grade report card that proves it.

Thanks for the comment on my site.

 
At 21 December, 2005, Blogger ScottyGee said...

I say "frickin'" a lot to replace the f bomb.

When I was little I had a lisp and could not say anything with an "S". Yeah, I was a cute lil' bastard.

 
At 21 December, 2005, Blogger Pixie LaRouge said...

A household nonswear of choice is "nugget." Great for stubbed toes and such-like. Long, long ago I had a friend who always used "fuck a duck" and "Christ on a cracker," both of which got stuck in my vocabulary. So I dropped the phone... on my bare foot... antenna-side down. DC (three) was looking at me hop about, so I bit back my urge to proclaim obscene acts with poultry and instead said...

...

wait for it...

...

shit a duck!

Yeah. That's so much better.

ps DC also calls our home "that crackin' house" and refers to car horns as "honkers." In public. Loudly.

 
At 22 December, 2005, Blogger Tink said...

Pixie: Lmao. Shit a duck? That's classic.

Scotty: Awww. Lisps are so cute on little kids. Really awful on adults. Especially when they're trying to talk dirty. "Your puthy ith thoooo hot."

Brooke: That's crazy. I thought I was just weird. Well, I'm that too.

Ditsy: Crumb's kind of cute. My co-worker/friend also says "God Bless America" instead of "God Damn."

Debbie: Aha! Shizzle My Nizzle. I haven't heard that one in awhile. My little brother has me saying, "TIGHT." It brings up all kinds of dirty connotations in my head though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home