Thursday, March 23, 2006

Something For Everyone

Pick your poison, or pick them all.

Little Hands: As I was getting out of my car at Walmart, the moonlight glinted off the van next to me in such a way as to illuminate the tiny smudges on its windows. No not smudges, handprints. I stood there for a moment rocking from side to side trying to catch the light again. The handprints were so tiny. Finger to wrist they would have fit in my palm. We all had small hands once. It doesn't last long. I must have stared down at my own hands, because suddenly I felt panicky. How long have my hands been this size? Oh my God, I have adult hands! When did that happen?

It feels like my childhood whipped by so quickly. I remember so much, and yet I hardly remember growing up at all. There have been numerous times in my life where I suddenly felt RESPONSIBLE. There have been instances where I realized that the course of my life entirely depended on what I did in that moment. No one was going to save me. No one was going to fix me if I fucked up. But never in my life had I felt so ADULT as I did standing next to that van last night. I stared at those handprints and finally understood what it means to have big hands. I understood why it's so important that we grow up... Big hands are the only thing that help little hands along.

5 Minutes Of Random Thoughts:
Start. When people tell you, "You know what they say..." Who the hell are THEY? Is there a designated panel of people who sit around and think of things us ordinary Joes and Janes can quote so that we too can look smart? How do we know the information is correct? "The odds of being killed by falling out of bed are one in two million." Did THEY actually test that? Who the hell would sign up for a test that may or may not kill them?! "We're going to have forty of you fall out of this bed 50,000 times. But don't worry, only one of you is going to die." I don't fucking think so. "Researchers indicate that plants grow healthier when they are stroked." Did they put out an ad for candidates? "Wanted: People who are good with their hands and don't mind repetitive up and down movements." Nice. How about, "A marine catfish can taste with any part of its body." Did they ask it? I'm never believing another sentence that begins with, "They say..." again. End.

Daily Hoop Conversation:
Hoop: Look what I got in the mail today. It says I could make over 80 grand!
Tink: That's a scam.
Hoop: No it's not. And it only costs $40 to enroll.
Tink: It's a scam.
Hoop: I guess that means I don't have to share all the money I'll be making with you then?
Tink: I'm cool with that.
Hoop: *Blink* You're not going to be jealous when I'm rolling around in a tub full of money?
Tink: Nope.
Hoop: We'll see.
...
Tink: If you only make one dollar are you still going to roll in it?

16 Comments:

At 23 March, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You need to try writing a poem about the handprints. Bet it would be a good one.

LITTLE HANDS

Rushing past the van
Moonlight flashes off the window
I see the handprint
Of a child

I stop, trying to see it again
There! It's so small!
I reach up
Put my hand over it

I drop my arm back down
Pick up my purse
Check both ways
Go inside.

 
At 23 March, 2006, Blogger mamatulip said...

Aw, I love the 'little hands' moment. I feel the same way when I look at my kids while they sleep. They're so little and peaceful and I'm so....adult. LOL.

And I've always, always wondered who "they" is. Always.

I like Doses of Tink. :)

 
At 23 March, 2006, Blogger Turtle said...

So amazing how quickly time flies, and we find ourselves growed up with responsibility. There are those who fight it and try to stay there as long as possible, but the inevitable happens Unfortunately, there is no Never-Never Land and fairy dust. At least we can stay there in our own minds. We just have to remember to be there for those who are truly still little to help them along, guide them and remind them to not want to grow up so quickly. Enjoy it while you can!

 
At 23 March, 2006, Blogger Chris said...

Oh, wow, I hadn't thought that about little hands and big hands... Whoa.

If Hoop does decide to roll in any amount of money, I hope you photograph the event and blog about it. :)

 
At 23 March, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow mamalujo is really good off the cuff.

And I LOVE the doses of Tink, as you know. Don't leave a sistah hanging.

 
At 23 March, 2006, Blogger Foo said...

Whenever I see a window smudged up like that, I always wonder if the person who made the handprints had been kidnapped and was trying to get out. Holding up McDonald's napkin with "help me" scrawled in ketchup. Or catsup.

But I do know what you mean about wondering where the time went. It's not unusual for me to randomly get a memory flash (a misfire, if you will) from 30 or 40 years ago—back when seatbelts and sunscreen were optional. For the most part, I don't feel much different than I did then, and I don't feel any different than when I was in early adulthood.

My internal image of myself is stuck at 24.

And my hands never did get very large, though I've sometimes wished they had. 'Cause... yanno.

 
At 23 March, 2006, Blogger Jay said...

"We all had small hands once" Not me hahahaha

I used to allways joke that I might grow older but I refuse to grow up. But, I guess we all have to grow up sometime. *sigh*

 
At 23 March, 2006, Blogger Jay said...

"We all had small hands once. Not me. hahahaha

I used to joke that I might grow older, but I refuse to grow up. But, I guess we all have to grow up sometime.

And I know what you mean about those times when you suddenly feel "resposible". It's a pretty lonely feeling.

Keep the doses of Tink coming.

 
At 23 March, 2006, Blogger Jess Riley said...

You know what they say....


Ha! Couldn't resist. On a note related to your tiny-handprint spotting, do you remember the moment you actually realized you were finished playing with dolls forever? I remember having that moment in the 4th or 5th grade. Actually acknowledging that I'd never be a kid like that again really saddened me.

 
At 23 March, 2006, Blogger Tink said...

*Groan* Our internet has been down (AGAIN) since just after I posted. So for all of those who's blogs I didn't visit today, accept my apologies.

Mamalujo1: You're so creative. I couldn't possibly try and top that poem. But maybe I'll post some later on a different topic? :)

Mama T: Having kids would definitely be the ultimate reality check.

Turtle: As a kid I always wanted Never Never Land to be real... Then Michael Jackson came along and ruined the whole idea. lol

Chris: You can count on updates with that!

TB: For you, anything.

Foo: *Notices new avatar* Ahhh! You have a baby head, Foo. I hope you know you totally warped my thinking on the handprint thing. Now I'm going to be looking for S.O.S. smears in slobber.

Jay: We have a Fountain Of Youth in my town if you're interested. But I hear people spit in it. Last I checked, spit doesn't do anything for youth. *Shrug*

Jess: I remember that moment vividly. I STILL miss the absolute abandon in believing the stories I made up for them were real. Hoop keeps trying to recreate his with action figures. It's not working though.

 
At 23 March, 2006, Blogger Odd Mix said...

Doses of Tink MUST continue. I am jonesing for my next dose already. This recap stuff isn't going to cut it.

I love the small hands idea. I had a similar mental slap when I realized one of our senior working students was born the year I graduated from college. I still think of my self as young, but... yikes.

 
At 23 March, 2006, Blogger Tink said...

I think I've just stepped into the Twilight Zone. I stopped at Odd Mix and Mignon's blog. Both of their word verifications gave me the word, "Smenita" and then wouldn't let me comment when I entered it.

SMENITA... What's it mean?!

 
At 23 March, 2006, Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

Smenita is a new drink. Tequila mixed with something naughty. Ewwwww. Wouldn't want to do shots of those. Okay, I made that up. I am very good at the game Balderdash.

Oh yeah, and I am "they". Yes, I tell everyone in the world what to do and what to think. That's me.

 
At 23 March, 2006, Blogger Mignon said...

Tink, no way - I thought I was the only one stuck in the Smenita Time Warp. I actually turned my computer off and unplugged it because I couldn't get out of Smenita-ville. I'm not kidding. Every blog I went to was Smenita'd.

Okay, so Doses of Tink, Hell Yes!
Small hands, so incredibly cute and fun to nibble. The feel of a child's hand in yours, tugging, sweaty, squirming. Makes you feel so grown up and trusted and needed. Scary stuff. Excellent post.

 
At 24 March, 2006, Blogger Brooke said...

Of course! I love EVERYTHING you write! NEED NEED NEED my "dose"!

(Did that convince you?)

 
At 26 March, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

Love the bit about the small hands. That is SOO true! I've had several moments when I look back on my life and think, when did this happen. When did I grow up?

The thing about sending in $40 to make millions, that would be something my husband would love to do. Bless his heart he is always looking for a way to get rich quick.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home