Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Memory Highway

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards colored rags and throws away food. ~Austin O'Malley

When I started preparing to move I thought of all the knickknacks I'd like to throw away: appliances that are never used and furniture too worn to keep. I assumed the only unsettling I would do was in dust, not memories. I've moved four times in the last five years. They were all difficult moves. Not like this one. This one feels easy. It feels right.

So why should this one be unearthing so many old memories? I sat around the house last night while Hoop was at school and thought back to a thousand little moments. I didn't think of old roommates or jobs or friends. I thought back to my childhood and that of my brothers. I remembered things I'd forgotten, and realized I'd forgotten a lot of the things I swore to remember. And then Hoop got home. I rambled off every memory I'd awakened. We laughed until we cried and then he kissed me... And then he thanked me.

The New Mommy: My youngest brother, Lil' Bit, was five when he decided he wanted a new Mommy. Instead of getting mad or feeling hurt, my Mom decided to play along with his temper tantrum. She picked up the phone and called information "Mommy's R Us." "What kind of Mommy would you like Lil' Bit?" She asked him. He stared at her in disbelief. "I want her to have BLUE hair!" He told her. Mom repeated his request into the phone. "And I want her to be YOUNG and NICE!" While he was rambling off his list of qualifications, Big Bit (who was almost seven at the time) and I snuck out the back door.

I will never forget the grin on Big Bit's face as we scrambled for the front door and rang the bell. "Your new Mommy is hear," Mom called out to him. We slapped our hands across our mouths to contain the laughter as Lil' Bit broke into screams and sobs on the other side of the door. "I was jus' kiddin'. I don't want a new Mommy!" he bawled loudly. Mom walked to the front door and swung it open as Lil' Bit threw himself into her legs and screamed in terror. "Look Lil Bit," Mom said. He turned around and stared at us, confused. And then it registered. Relief broke across his face and then rage. "I HATE YOU! I want a new family!" He screamed as we all burst into laughter.

May Search Terms:
(What people put into search engines that bring them here)
1. "Yodeling in the canyon of love" I prefer "Lapping the little man in the canoe." But whatever.
2. Sloppy don sandwich My mental images for this are not pretty.
3. Gatorade advertisement and "sperm" and "is it in you" and fastest
I feel like singing, "One of these things is not like the other!"
4. You might be ghetto if you have to put stuff on layaway at the 99-cent store.

Around The Water Cooler:
Co-worker: So I walked in and asked the supervisors why Hoop wasn't being made to run errands like all the other guys.
Tink: Wait... You did what?
Co-worker: I walked in and asked-
Tink: No, I heard you the first time. You do realize that Hoop and I are together right?
Co-worker: Yeah. Why?
Tink: It probably wouldn't be wise to trash talk him to me.
Co-worker: Oh?
Tink: Yeah. You know, for future reference.
Co-worker: But I thought I could talk to you about anything.
Tink: You're not very bright.

Daily Hoop Conversation:
(6:30 am, still in bed)
Tink: I just had the strangest dream!
Hoop: What's that babe?
Tink: We were building a deck. But because of this new law we had to go to the courthouse to pick up pre-approved blueprints.
Hoop: And then what happened?
Tink: We built a deck.
Hoop: Ok.
...
Hoop: And why is that strange again?
Tink: Um, I don't know exactly. But it was. Believe me.

12 Comments:

At 03 May, 2006, Blogger Odd Mix said...

Building a strange deck... hmmm. Well, maybe it was on a slant. Or maybe there was no door onto it (I have a friend who was going to build one of those). Ooooh, or maybe it wasnt attached to the house at all!

Thant was a neat storry about sharing your memories with Hoop. I imagine the old memories are stirring more this time because you have the time and peace of mind to pay attention to them.

I told you you needed word verification - how is it working? xfdgrej

 
At 03 May, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, wavelength, meet Tink. That was weird.
Someone on my site suggested since so many of us are moving at once we should arrange an internet yard sale. I was thinking it really could work if we set up a password protected site and only allowed people we "know".
I love the new mommy story. Your mom sounds fun.

 
At 03 May, 2006, Blogger mamatulip said...

Oh girl, thank you for sharing the New Mommy story -- that is fabulous ammo for me to tuck away.

 
At 03 May, 2006, Blogger Andrew Fletcher said...

I can't believe someone would actually try to trash Hoop to you.? That is ridiculous. They were probably the one searching for "real men of genes".

 
At 03 May, 2006, Blogger Tink said...

Chelle: I am, and it's crazy. Hoop calls me at work while he's taking a dump and all I can think is, "Yup. THIS is the man I want to spend the rest of my life with!"

Odd Mix: I think you're probably right on both accounts. Word verification seems to be working splendidly. No spam as of yet. I GUESS I like it *eye roll*.

TB: Hello TB's wavelength. "Internet Yard Sale" hmmm? That's a pretty cool idea! Totally original, that I know of.

Mel and Mama T: It also works for Santa, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy and the Great Halloween Pumpkin.

Fa: LOL! Right? At first I thought I misheard her. I kept thinking, "Surely this girl isn't that dumb. She's not really going to go there is she?" But evidently she is and she did.

 
At 03 May, 2006, Blogger Foo said...

#3 - Ooooh! Wait! I know this one: Gatorade is not like the others. Right?

Hrm. Now here's something interesting. You were talking about how going through your stuff in preparation for moving stirred up all sorts of memories you hadn't experienced in a while. That made me remember Turtle's and my move and all the stuff that I had to bring out of the closets and go through.

Which stirred up memories I hadn't thought about in a long time.

At least... not since the move.

WV: "twoctp" Fi'ty Cent's younger, less successful brother.

 
At 03 May, 2006, Blogger Chris said...

Hee hee hee. Your coworker, letting the dim light shine. :)

 
At 03 May, 2006, Blogger Mignon said...

I didn't know Hoop worked with you! Is that where you guys met, or am I forgetting an important post?

I had a dream last night that Costa Rican businesses were being forced into debt in order to set up being annexed by France and all this was revealed to my by my hairdresser, Harrison Ford (who gives a great neck massage, by the way).

 
At 03 May, 2006, Blogger Jay said...

I have moved sooooooo many times too. Most of them were more of an annoyance than anything else. When I moved to Texas I put everything I owned into a two-door Plymouth Hatchback. When I moved FROM Texas I had to hire a moving company. I prefer the hatchback idea. More freedom. This may come as a surprise to some people, but I'm not particularly sentimental.

But, it is cool how you and Hoop sat and talked about all those memories and stuff.

Love the watercooler conversation. Sometimes people can be so damn clueless.

 
At 03 May, 2006, Blogger Tink said...

Foo: Ding ding ding! You win... nothing. I'm sorry. I'm broke. And uh, what sort of skeletons did you pull from that closet hmm Foo? WV: LMAO. Alright, so I'm liking the feature a little more. As long as there are always people around like you to make it funny.

Chris: She's somethin' else. That's for sure.

Mignon: I don't know if I ever mentioned it. But yes, we work at the same place. Although in entirely different departments so we rarely see each other. Believe it or not, I trained him. I knew from the moment I saw him that I was interested. He was too. But it took him a year to ask me out!

Jay: I would love to pack light. In the beginning I did. But somehow over the course of five years I've accumulated all this... HOUSE STUFF. Like dishes and towels. Bleh. ;)

 
At 04 May, 2006, Blogger Jess Riley said...

"You might be ghetto if..." What the?!?!? LOL!!!

Today I got "pics of Kelly Ripa's toes." Serves me right for mentioning her by name recently.

PS: I didn't know you worked with Hoop, either! :)

 
At 04 May, 2006, Blogger Odd Mix said...

Come see my new idea, please!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home