Monday, August 28, 2006

Back To Normal

Weekend Recap:
1. Friday night Hoop and I headed out to one of the local beaches.
2. We were buzzed, so wearing our bathing suits had sounded like a great idea.
3. The furthest we got in was up to our ankles...


Hoop: You going in?
Tink: Ooo no. Sharks.
Hoop: I know. What were we thinking?
Tink: Only tourist swim in the ocean-
Hoop: -at night.
Tink: They can have them. That's why they call it tourist "season" anyway.

4. So we walked the beach instead.
5. This particular beach is known for the large amount of shells that wash up on its shore. Some stacks get up to one foot high and several feet deep!
6. Neither of us had thought ahead to bring a flashlight. So we each took to a pile and started weeding through the shells by touch.
7. It was during one of these digs that I grazed my hand across the sand and saw an unbelievable explosion of blue-white sparks.
8. At first I thought it was the buzz, or a trick of the moonlight. But it kept happening. "Hoop?! Something strange is happening with this sand."
9. He had noticed it too. We soon realized the sparks happened when any kind of contact was made. If you took a step, the sparks would scatter out from your foot like a wave. If you ran your hand in a pattern they would follow and then fade.
10. We argued whether it was due to friction or microscopic organisms. Regardless of reason, we felt like we'd discovered something truly amazing.
11. And evidently we're
not the only ones.
12. Saturday we headed over to my parents house for a birthday celebration for Papa Bear and Hoop.
13. Papa Bear got a sign from my Grandparents that said, "My name is ----, and I am 44 years old." Just in case he'd forgotten.
14. Hoop got a bright orange whip.
15. Of course now that ALL the boys have whips, they had to have a competition on the deck to see who was better using them.
16. No, I don't know who won.
17. I was too busy ducking blows to really care.
18. Sunday we brought the dogs back home...
19. ...and made a valiant effort to get them readjusted.
20. First we ran them around the house.
21. Next we set up their cages and washed their blankets.
22. Then we dressed Duff up in lingerie and I took pictures.
23. "One of these things is not like the others. One of these things just doesn't belong."
24. Don't let the picture fool you. He really loves it.
25. Last night Hoop and I went to see
Invincible.
26. I highly recommend seeing it. It's one of the better "Feel Good" movies of the year.
27. SPOILER: Although the part where Vince's wife leaves him because he's jobless kind of made Hoop squirm in his seat a little.
28. *Ahem* Hoop is working on the job search today btw.
29. I woke up this morning feeling like a pretzel dog.
30. Between Hoop, both canines, and our heavy comforter, I didn't have a single inch of wiggle room.
31. I did say I wanting things back to normal didn't I?

Spam Mail:
(I must be off their no-spam list now)
White Trash from Cyril Pitts
Taxi Sand Life Span from Humphrey Bradley
Princess Agony from Sue Nicholson



Contest courtesy of
Odd Mix:

Distress:

Fortunately it was just a discarded nail polish bottle and not the little woodland creature I first imagined it had been.


"Get me outta this Mom!"

(Some Random Weekend Pictures)

Wonderfully Kitschy


Natural Curves

Hoop and I found this whole Conch shell on one of our beaches.

Pouting Pup

26 Comments:

At 28 August, 2006, Blogger Mary said...

great pictures!! I love the pouting pup--were the stripes light?

I would also duck and cover if a group of boys were having a whip contest. There is no happy ending to that I don't think...

now I'm going to watch for blue light next time we hit the beach...sounds more common on the pacific than the atlantic, so we'll see...

 
At 28 August, 2006, Blogger Tink said...

Mary: That's Jazz on our black and white striped comforter. I used a grain technique to make it more nostalgic looking.

"sounds more common on the pacific than the atlantic, so we'll see" Let me know if you see anything! I was bummed I hadn't brought the camera, but I doubt they would have showed up anyway.

 
At 28 August, 2006, Blogger Newt said...

Cool pictures! Sounds like you had a lot of fun. I really like the shell picture. Very cool. And the title is perfect.

 
At 28 August, 2006, Blogger Kim Tracy Prince said...

Ooh, I like the pup, too.

 
At 28 August, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice pictures. How distressed were you?

Have Hoop look at this.

Phosforescence is just the coolest stuff! You should have ignored the sharks and gone swimming in it. That is one of life's amazing experiences.

 
At 28 August, 2006, Blogger Betty said...

Cute puppy photos. Love that conch shell. I won't go into the water, either, even in daylight. I've seen too many "Jaws" movies too many times.

 
At 28 August, 2006, Blogger Mary said...

Now that I relooked at the pics, in the one of Jazz wearing your shirt you can see the striped comforter. But again, very cool pics.

The only ones I took this weekend sucked. I need to work at my photography skills...

 
At 28 August, 2006, Blogger Tink said...

Oddmix: WHIPBOXING?! What are doing? I can't let him see that lol. Although I guess it can't be any worse than ax throwing huh?

What is Phosforescence, chemical reaction or something alive? We're going to try and go back some night this week and see if it'll do it again.

It's probably the first time (in a long time) I've felt the same wonderment I did as a kid. It was just... amazing.

Chelle: Thankfully I LIKE kids movies. Hoop on the other hand... he'll have to learn to love them. :)

Betty: It wasn't Jaws that did me in so much as the sharks I've seen them catch off the docks, only 20 feet out from the shore!

 
At 28 August, 2006, Blogger eric said...

i love seeing things i'd never heard of ... and hearing about them, too.

that's so cool.

e+

 
At 28 August, 2006, Blogger Jay said...

I live 12 hours by car from the nearest beach. If I leave now I can be there by 3 am. It's tempting to do that too. Just to try and make sparks on the beach myself. That is just too cool.

hmmmm ... Now that I think about it, it's been years since I just up and took a road trip. Ahh the good old days. haha

Love the pictures. Especially the conch shell.

 
At 28 August, 2006, Blogger Mike Y said...

hmm... whip, huh? I didn't realize you two were a kinky couple ;)

And um... dog's in clothes... just wrong.

And I definitely want to see that movie. I love feel good movies like that. And I can see why Hoop would feel uncomfortable. But he's working on it, and it can take time.

 
At 28 August, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LMAO -- is that a camisole on the dog?!

 
At 28 August, 2006, Blogger mrspao said...

I love the imagery of the sparks in the sand.

 
At 28 August, 2006, Blogger Tink said...

Jay: You are overdue for a road trip my friend! Not 12 hours on a weeknight... :) But still.

Mike: Kinky- Yes. Into pain- No. Besides, I'm not sure he can control where he's aiming that thing. LOL. Which, out of context, could be taken VERY wrong!

Mama T: Why yes it is. :P

 
At 28 August, 2006, Blogger Katherine said...

Hey, I want to stay at the Magic Beach Hotel!! Too cool

 
At 28 August, 2006, Blogger graymama said...

Is it wrong that the whip contest turned me on?!

Those doggie eyes are precious!

 
At 28 August, 2006, Blogger Kell said...

Great pics! And Invincible is on my list of movies I want to see. Glad to hear a good recommendation for it.

 
At 28 August, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your family sounds delighfully crazy and all this talk of whips and lingerie is getting me hot ;o)

The thing with the sand sparks? Super cool!

 
At 28 August, 2006, Blogger Chris said...

As usual, wonderful pictures! Hee hee - the Magic Beach Hotel, where you will f*ck like bunnies...

 
At 28 August, 2006, Blogger F&W said...

I love the motel pic! Kitschy is right.

 
At 29 August, 2006, Blogger Mary said...

Phosphorescence is a type of luminescence, as is florescence. In x-ray we use phospher crystals which absorb the energy from the x-rays and emit light.

So I have NO idea what is causing the luminescence in conjunction with the beach/shells. I might get bored at work tomorrow and look it up though ;)

 
At 29 August, 2006, Blogger Freakazojd said...

Beautiful photos - I love how you said the word distress! Your little puppy is SO cute...I think I loved the last photo of him (her?) and the one of the sea shell the best. :)

 
At 29 August, 2006, Blogger EE said...

Love the pouting pup pic!

And I'm just LMAO at your beach experience. Snort!

 
At 29 August, 2006, Blogger Tink said...

Chris: LMAO. Exactly what I was thinking when I saw the sign.

Mary: This is why you people rock! You're all a wealth of information. Let me know if you find anything on it.

 
At 29 August, 2006, Blogger Foo said...

I was all geared up to spin an explanation for the sparks that incorporated midichlorians, Area 51, and the Knights Templar—but then you went and brought facts into it. *POOF!*

I'm sure there were many enlightening and entertaining bits in your post, but I'm still a bit shell-shocked after learning your dad's nearly two years younger than I am.

 
At 29 August, 2006, Blogger Andrew Fletcher said...

Was the orange whip purchased to match the orange shirt? Perhaps an orange cowbow hat is in order.

The last dog picture is great. I love the expression.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home