Friday, August 18, 2006

Going On A Bear Hunt

Yesterday I set up camp and the wonderful people below decided to join me around the fire. Click on over to hear their "Save The Day" stories. Then pull up a log to tell us one of your own.

Jay: A boating mishap
GrayMama: A Father-Daughter car ride
Newt: Haley’s comet, a Bull Moose, and camping in a hotel. Oh my! ;)

Anyone I missed?

Hook, Line, Stinker: I was never particularly lucky when it came to fishing. I didn't mind getting up early, or hooking my own bait. I had no problems sitting patiently for hours waiting for a bite. I simply never caught anything. During one of our family summer camping trips, I snuck off to the lake long before anyone else had gotten up. Since I wasn't very good at the sport, I liked to go fishing when no one was around to tease me about it.

The bait shop wasn't open yet, so I grabbed a couple things from the cooler that I thought might work in a pinch. Bread. Marshmallows. Bacon. It's no wonder I wasn't used to catching anything. But I figured hey, it was worth a shot. Within minutes of throwing in my line (tied down with bacon) I had a bite. I whooped and yelled and struggled to reel that Catfish in. I was so excited. Until I realized I had no idea how to get it OFF. It was the first fish I'd ever caught and there was no one around to see it or help.

So I ran back to the campsite to see if anyone was awake... with that poor fish dangling on my line. When I got there and all was quiet, I started to panic. I didn't want to kill the fish. But I also wanted everyone to see my fine catch. So I grabbed the drink cooler, dumped out its contents, threw the fish in, and dragged it back to the lake. After filling the cooler with water and biting off the cord to my rod, I went back to fishing to see if I could catch anything else.

That morning I caught twelve Catfish. Not wanting my family to miss out on my great accomplishment, I made damn sure to save them all. I ran out of cooler space after the first three fish and had to resort to using various buckets and crates around the campground, including the toolbox in the back of my Dad's truck. When my Dad finally tracked me down later that morning, he was shocked to see my haul. So shocked he didn't say anything for several minutes. And then he started laughing. He didn't stop until all the fish were safely back in the lake.

Except for the one in his toolbox. I kind of forgot about that one until the next day.

Courtesy of
Odd Mix:

The words for this weekend are...

Fantasy
Reality


Don't be a wuss. Join the fun!

Not Far From The Tree:
(During dinner)
Papa Bear: Did someone not get their lasagna?
Mom: That's Hoop's.
Tink: *Blink* Um.
Mom: But since he's not here, you can have it.
Tink: He'll be glad to know you were thinking of him.
Mom: Be sure to let him know it was good.

Not Far From The Tree:
Hoop's Dad: *While fast asleep* Thank you! What did you do to it?
Hoop and Nash: *Busts out laughing*
HD: Boys...
Hoop What's he dreaming about?
Nash: I don't know. But we could really screw with him right now.
HD: You better behave.

Days Til Hoop's Back: 6

Have a GREAT weekend everyone!

16 Comments:

At 18 August, 2006, Blogger Mike Y said...

Tink, I love hearing of your fishing tale. I'd love to have watched you take those fish off. Catfish are one of the worst because you can really get stabbed by them and get an infected wound. But 12 of them. I'd of kept them all and enjoyed cooking and eating them. Well... perhaps not all of them. I do tend to prefer less fishy tasting fish, like trout.

I hope you have a great weekend! And if you get lonely without Hoop, don't forget you've got friends :)

 
At 18 August, 2006, Blogger Newt said...

That is the best fishing story I have ever read! You are too cute.

My Uncle had a home on the Connecticut Sound. We were wandering down to the water one day and my brother asked if there was good fishing. My uncle said no, no one had caught a fish in years. But my brother was persistant. He asked my mom if she had any fishing stuff. My mom had some thread and a paper clip in her purse (for whatever reason). So he used regular sewing thread, bent out the paperclip to look like a hook and dangled it in the water. And yes, you guessed it, he caught a fish. A little sunny.

 
At 18 August, 2006, Blogger Tink said...

Mike Y: >>don't forget you've got friends<< Bless your heart! Thank you.

>>Catfish are one of the worst because you can really get stabbed by them<< Good thing I didn't actually TOUCH them. LOL.

>>But 12 of them?<< They were pretty little Catfish. Once I got older, my Dad admitted that they regularly refilled that lake with fish to keep the ecosystem running and I'd probably caught them soon after a restock.

Newt: LOL! A thread and a paperclip? Your Mom is lady-macgyver!

 
At 18 August, 2006, Blogger Jay said...

A dozen catfish in one day! What a haul. Keeping them in all those containers to show everybody is the funniest thing I've heard all day. The days before deigital cameras were pretty rough huh? LOL

I so badly want to go fishing now. I especially want to try bacon for catfish.

 
At 18 August, 2006, Blogger Chris said...

Hee hee - I have a picture of me holding up a ginormous carp - biggest fish I'll ever catch in my life!

Love the lasagna story. Hee hee.

 
At 18 August, 2006, Blogger eric said...

my dad and i always find limited success fishing. and everybody knows it.

i remember one time as a pre-teen we caught a whole bunch of crappie and put them in the cage hanging from the boat.

we couldn't wait to get back and show everybody. the problem was that we didn't pull the cage out of the water before we took off and it fell into the water.

nobody believed us. i hate it for the fish. i'm obsessed with not wasting animals or food in general.

e+

 
At 18 August, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was just out of college I moved to upstate New York. One night I went fishing all alone for bullhead catfish. I was baiting my hooks with leeches which are one of the few things in this world that completely skeeve me out. Anyhow, in one hour I caught nine of them and I kept them all and packed them in ice to take home that weekend - my mother and I ate every one of them.

I still swear by leeches as bait - and they still skeeve me out.

 
At 18 August, 2006, Blogger graymama said...

Thank you for the much needed smile and laugh! There is nothing like sitting around the campfire with you :-)

 
At 18 August, 2006, Blogger Freakazojd said...

This is so great! I posted my own dad story today too. Thanks for sharing yours! :)

 
At 18 August, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! His toolbox...man, that must have stunk!

 
At 18 August, 2006, Blogger Kell said...

This is a great campsite, Tink. Always a great story waiting.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

 
At 18 August, 2006, Blogger Foo said...

I missed two whole days. I checked your blog a few times today from work and was still seeing the August 15 post. Something squirrelly's going on with the cache.

Sorry I missed out on the campfire, but I never was the best around a roaring fire, as I tended to burn my wienie.

 
At 19 August, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great story. The closest I've come to fishing is...well our fish tank. Does that count?

 
At 19 August, 2006, Blogger EE said...

Awww, lol, cute fishing story!!!

I always get such a kick out of your convo's. Love the one about the lasagna, too funny!

 
At 21 August, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There was a period of time where my father had a fishing board. A bass boat, to be exact. He spent years pining after one and then yearks keeping it in pristine shape in the garage. He taught me to water ski using that boat, but the one time I went fishing with him (and he made us get up before the sun was up...I HATE THAT!!) I was bored out of my skull.

 
At 21 August, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A fishing BOAT. Not a fishing board. Geez, I need to wake up already!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home