Thursday, December 21, 2006

Checking It Twice

Nice: The verdict is in... You're not getting coal this year!


But you're not getting free cameras either.

I called "Bull's-Eye" yesterday and confessed the shipping error. So much for hypothetical eh? They're sending me a return label for the box. At first I wanted to believe this was Karma's way of saying, "Girl, you've had a tough year. Have two on the house!" But the more I thought of those free goods as mine, the worse I felt. I asked everyone I knew what they'd do in my shoes. Most became uncomfortable or answered uncertainly. Some claimed the mere thought was ruining their Christmas spirit.

Yesterday morning I realized, I have everything I want. I have a great family who is always there for one another. I have a partner who loves me completely, wanting nothing more than to share in my life. I have friends who make me laugh, who inspire and comfort me when I'm at my lowest. I have a roof over my head, clothes on my back, and food in my mouth. I don't need ill-gotten goods. Seldom are our choices so defined for us. How often does life GIVE you the perfect moment to do something right?

Besides... The disbelief in the guy's voice at the call center was well worth the anxiety. "You're calling because they didn't charge you?" "That's correct." "So... You got them for free?" "That's what 'not charged' means." "You want to ship them back?" "YES." "OK, we'll mail you a return label tomorrow." "Thank you." "I'm also going to write in this little comment box here that you are the most honest customer I've ever met." "Um, that's great."

EXTRA Nice: Look at all the Tink goodies
Graymama sent me!

What a high. I'm never owning another thing without my face on it. ;)

Thank you GM for your thoughtfulness, your friendship, and your gift of making everyone feel special and loved. I am blessed to call you a friend.

Naughty: Dear Blogger staff.

THIS-

is highly uncalled for.

Even worse was the log on screen I got this morning. "Sign Into Blogger. But first, where do you blog?" So now you're segregating us? "NEW BLOGGER. Using your cool, innovative Google account." OK, so I added the "cool, innovative" part. But it was implied! "OLD BLOGGER. Using your Blogger account." Why do I have to be "old?" I'd much prefer "original" or "retro." Yeah Retro! The cool uncool.

Daily Hoop Conversation:
Tink: I have to find something used to wrap for the "White Elephant" gift exchange tomorrow.
Mom: How about that ugly ceramic clown I got for Christmas one year?
Tink: *Shudder* I hate clowns.
Mom: You don't have to touch it. It's in a box!
Tink: Noooo.
Hoop: You HAVE to take the clown.
Mom: I bet someone would really like it.
Hoop: Take the clown.
Mom: It's just not my thing.
Hoop: If you don't take the clown you're going to get into a horrible accident tomorrow.
Tink: Hoop!
Mom: I'll even wrap it for you.
Hoop: I had a dream last night that you took that clown-
Tink: Oh FINE! I'll take the stupid clown.
Hoop: *Turns to Mom* Perfectly executed Good-cop/Bad-cop.
Mom: Thanks.
Tink: Hey!

22 Comments:

At 21 December, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would agree that you've definitely got some good Karma coming your way, but think about it; would it be only in the form of a couple of extra cameras that you could sell for a little extra money? Come on, girl, you need to think bigger than that. Like maybe some really good chocolate.

Merry Christmas!

 
At 21 December, 2006, Blogger mrspao said...

Good for you! Your honesty is commendable!

 
At 21 December, 2006, Blogger Newt said...

The Karma Cow is so proud of you right now. It will come back. She promises.

Grey Mama is awesome. I agree.

**snort** clown - they are creepy aren't they?

 
At 21 December, 2006, Blogger Jess Riley said...

You are so honest that I'd be shocked if something wonderful doesn't happen to you soon. :)

I once got a used toilet brush holder shaped like a duck for a white elephant gift. Gee-ross.

Hope you, Hoop and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!

 
At 21 December, 2006, Blogger Sunshine said...

Good girl, I think you would have lost sleep keeping the extra cameras.

If you can wait until January, I will make you a fairy crystal shirt as long as you promise to take a picture of yourself wearing it to put in the photo gallery on my site when it's up and running. K? Because, you're such a good and honest girl, that's why.

 
At 21 December, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you. Integrity feels good, eh!

 
At 21 December, 2006, Blogger Tink said...

Mamalujo1: Mmmm. Chocolate.

For weeks Hoop kept going on and on about how we should get a chocolate fountain. So I was thinking a FOUNTAIN. "Where would we put it?!" Then lo-and-behold, one showed up yesterday from my grandparents in Arizona. It's more like a chocolate bird-bath. Definitely not big enough to wade in.

MrsPao: Well thank you.

Newt: Do you think the Karma cow produces milk? It would go awfully nice with chocolate. :)

Jess: Someone gave you a used toilet brush holder? Ewwww! That's worse than the used Paraffin Waxer (for feet) I was going to give away originally. Hoop wouldn't let me.

Sunshine: A Sunshine original? That would be awesome! Of course I could wait, and would take pictures.

 
At 21 December, 2006, Blogger Tink said...

Oddmix: It sure does eh. ;)

 
At 21 December, 2006, Blogger Chris said...

You win Honest Customer of the Year! Woot woot!!

Must see picture of clown.

So, here's a thing - if you were thinking of switching from blogger to a free wordpress.com blog, you would want to do that before/instead of switching to beta, because you can import regular blogger into WordPress, but not beta... Fun, eh?

 
At 21 December, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAY for honesty! LOL!

Seriously, good karma's comin' for you. I know it.

 
At 21 December, 2006, Blogger Jay said...

Well I guess you did the right thing. haha .. I would have but only out my guilt though so I wouldn't get all the extra karma points you'll probably get.

"Retro Blogger" is a pretty cool name. I get the feeling you will be tha last person on Earth to switch to "New and Improved" version.

 
At 21 December, 2006, Blogger Alex said...

I'm confused by Blogger today as well. I switched to the beta business the very first day they offered the switch...i'm hip like that and all...but today the pictures won't post and I just don't *get* that crossed out beta logo.

You rock for the camera situation.

 
At 21 December, 2006, Blogger Arabella said...

You're going to get some special treatment at Christmas for all that honesty!

 
At 21 December, 2006, Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

They totally played you Tink. Can't believe you didn't see that coming. Although I agree with them. Get rid of the stinkin' clown.

 
At 21 December, 2006, Blogger Mike Y said...

I think you did right and it should pay off, probably already has.

And giving the clown away is a good thing. It means it won't be around to haunt you.

 
At 21 December, 2006, Blogger sassybead said...

OK - I have to comment, if for nothing else than to not waste my cool wv....which is mmebw! Nice kitty...

I'm proud of you, Tink, and I fully believe in karma treating you right. I would have done the same thing and returned the cameras. I love that you totally impressed the customer service guy. Me, I'm so dang honest, I told the waitress the other day when the bartender left a drink off my tab. She was really nice and told me to let it go, but I would not have been able to walk out of there without at least telling someone about the mistake.

And...here's an example of not-so-nice karma. My sister lives in Denver, and the other day she was talking to my mom here in Seattle. Mom was telling her about the windstorm, and how terrifying it was. My sister was laughing and being all dismissive! Well!! I think karma came around and bit her on the butt, now didn't it?!

 
At 21 December, 2006, Blogger Kell said...

Good Karma is coming your way! I bet the customer service person talked to will go do something honest and nice now for someone and then that person will do something and so on and so on. And it all started with you!

And I'm with ya on the whole clown thing *shudder*

Have a merry merry Christmas!

 
At 21 December, 2006, Blogger graymama said...

Damn you for calling the company "bull's eye." I can't get Toy Story 2 out of my head :-P

In Buddhism, the motivation behind an action really makes the difference between bad and good karma. You followed your heart, which I think is always good :-) (Sending you a virtual pat on the back)

I am so glad that you liked the goodies :-)

I will be "retro blogger" until they force me to change, damnit!

Sounds like Hoop fits right in :-)

{{{{hugs for the holidays}}}}

 
At 21 December, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You just made a huge deposit in the karma bank, Tink. The universe still owes you...BIG TIME.

 
At 21 December, 2006, Blogger Pamer said...

Isn't it funny that the company would just assume that you would keep it instead of returning them??? It's almost like they would call it a reasonable loss "oh well, those cameras only cost about 27 cents to make..."

You're not only the MOST honest person...more likely the ONLY honest person.

Bless you Tink

 
At 21 December, 2006, Blogger EE said...

Awww, you're so honest. :)

LOVE the Tink paraphernalia!

That whole Blogger thing. The fist time I saw that Blogger sign and the "beta" crossed out, like how in the hell do you RUN OUT OF something like that?! [shaking head] And I agree, why do us who decided not to fuck w/ our blogs have to be "OLD blogger" pple?!?!?! That seems highly unfair....how about they call us "Chose not to be corrupted by newness"??? HUH!?

IDK...at least I can post on ALL blogs again. Whatever they had to do to fix that, fine.

LOL

 
At 22 December, 2006, Blogger Tawcan said...

Haven't tried the new "blogger" yet... I'll have to play around with it later when I have a bit more time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home