Golden Spork Awards
One year ago today, "Pickled Beef" was born. It all started with a Hoop conversation. A fitting beginning, don't you think? It never dawned on me that I'd still be here a year later, or that I would have met so many wonderful people in the process. So today, instead of celebrating a year of random writing, I would like to celebrate the people who kept me going. Without you I wouldn't be here. Thank you for one year of laughter, support, understanding, and inspiration. I love you guys!
Most of you could have fit into several categories. But this isn't the Oscars.
"Funniest" Spork Award
* Jay of Cynical Bastard: Blessed with one of the most humorous outlooks on life. Whether he's discussing celebrity sell-outs or giving the gift of paper shredders, he's guaranteed to get a chuckle out of you.
* Mignon of Thought Concoction: I love this woman's no-shit attitude and creative writing style. If we lived closer, I would throw parties just so I could invite her to them.
* Jay of Kill The Goat: Brilliantly funny and well written! Jay talks about everything from creating the perfect date night to why she always gets crap for Christmas.
* Chris Cactus of Rude Cactus: The only person who could make caulking a bathroom sound dirty. Chris' amazing photography, paired with his uniquely funny posts, makes for a five star blog you shouldn't miss out on.
"Inspiring" Spork Award
* Tammie of Soul Gardening: A pillar of strength and beauty. Her story is one of great sadness and even greater success. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone else who can write as eloquently as she.
* Arabella of Trattoria Breve: Resilient and self assured, Arabella is the kind of woman who can accomplish anything and make it look easy. Follow her journey as she blogs about being pregnant with twins and the ways her view on life has changed because of it.
* Debbie of Debbie Does Life: She was my first official commenter on Pickled Beef. Because of her, I felt compelled to continue what I'd merely started out of boredom. She's genuine and funny, kind and clever... an all around great person.
* Chelle of Fickle and Whim: Very little photography has ever made me strive harder to better my own. I simply never cared before. Once Chelle started posting hers though, with it's breath-taking clarity and perspective, I was inspired. I fully expect to see her art on exhibits someday.
"Endearing" Spork Award
* Chelle Y of The Story Of Me: I'm not a religious person. But even I can find warmth in the enduring faith and hope that this woman has, despite the adversity she's faced and the challenges she's had to overcome. You never feel unwelcome when you go to Chelle's blog.
* Gracey of Gracey's Space: Her positive outlook on life is always refreshing. No wonder she was once the favored student of Chelle (above).
* Heather of Hamilton Family Circus: It's hard not to love a woman who so openly includes everyone in her pregnancy, from updated belly shots to photos of the babies room. She has a sweet way of making you feel like family.
* Katie of La Casa de Agua: Lots of toddler funnies! If being cute weren't enough, Katie's little boy Luke also has a fascination with bubble wrap and screwing things into the floor with a cell phone antenna.
"Fascinating" Spork Award
* Lucia of Lucia Has Something To Say: An addictive site full of Lucia's travels and discoveries. You're guaranteed to learn something new and fascinating. I read just so that I might live vicariously through her ;).
* Alex of Happily Ever Now: An adorable documentation of single life in Hawaii. I haven't known her long, but I'm already hooked.
* Peggy of Lazy Gardener: She SAYS she's a lazy gardener, but so far I've seen some really interesting posts about Paris, and a sweet blind Collie, and a Scottish ghost story. No gardening... Not that I'm complaining! Hop on over for a really good read.
* MJD of Mama Said, Papa Said: and Gawilli of Back In The Day: Stories about what was and what isn't, memories, history lessons, great minds come together to remember. Don't miss out on these gems!
"Cleverest" Spork Award
* Mamalujo1 of Paterphilosophy: One of the most brilliant minds I've ever met on the blogosphere. He spins stories and poetry as if it were nothing more than taking in air.
* Eric of Great Elsewhere: Breaks the myth that blogging is only for chicks and Mom's. This guy will have you rolling as you read his brilliant spin on parenthood and the day to day antics of being a dude.
* Foo of Random Synaptic Misfire and Turtle of Cat Mewsings: Two equally witty people, paired together to form one great dynamic duo. Check out Foo's blog for grocery store mishaps and information on innovative bikes, or go over to Turtles for updates on cute and furry things.
"Pleasantly Surprised" Spork Award
* Betty of Old Dog, New Trick and Kell of Tis Herself: If you love Jay, you'll love Jay's Mom and sister. If I didn't have a such a wonderful family myself, I'd be begging to be adopted. Hop on over to their sites for book reviews, memes, and tidbits on life.
* Mike Y of Wilderness Voice When Mike appeared on my blog it was seemingly out of nowhere, but I was instantly glad for his offbeat sense of humor. It's rare to find someone who "gets"
"Crafty" Spork Award
* Graymama of The Beauty Of Gray: If ever there was a person to embody the spirit of mother nature, it would be Graymama. She's a little hippyish, has a huge heart, is a fantastic Mom, and creates the most amazing things with her hands (blankets, dolls, etc). It's hard not to gush about her.
* MrsPao of Musings: When she isn't talking about her feline family members, her adorable husband Pao, or the wonderful sights they travel to, she's busy going sock crazy! I bet her feet are never cold though.
* Deanna of Domestic Chicky: Wife, Mom of two, hairstylist, hobbyist, cook, blogger... Sometimes I wonder if this woman sleeps. Her energy and enthusiasm are highly contagious. If I could bottle it, I'd be rich!
* Peevish of Peeve: If you can get past all those adorable kitten pictures you'll find that Peeve is also a fellow knitter. Did you hear me? I said LOOK PAST the kitten pictures!
* Susan of A Slice Of Life: The blog of a fantastically creative Mom who apparently is a birthday planning genius. When I was a kid I was lucky to get homemade party hats. She MAKES her own pinatas. The only thing I can see that she's not good at is roof cleaning.
"Playful" Spork Award
* Newt of Newt's Muse: Some days I can't decide whether I should laugh or just e-hug her. She's the Mom to four furry children, and the wife in a fairy tale romance story. She's goofy, and clever, with a heart of gold. And she's just been armed with a new digital camera. Watch out!
* Chris of Stumbling Over Chaos: It's like a cute reality show for cats. Follow along in the antics of Chaos and Mayhem... oh yeah, and their owner Chris. I dare you not to say, "Awwwww."
* Alien of Planet Alien: A redneck wedding, an unwanted mouse, bear hunting season, leaf monsters... What do these things have in common? They're typical topics of interest on Alien's blog. Click on over, you won't be disappointed.
"Perfectly Random" Spork Award
* Acaligurl of Acaligurl: An eclectic jumble of posts and pictures that always leaves you guessing what's in store.
* Sassybead of Sassy Says: It's been awhile since she updated *hint*hint* But you can still find an array of posts on everything from voting, to art, to becoming a gym rat.
* Pamer of Only Idiots Use a Blog: Tired of the regular news? Pamer only posts the oddest and funniest articles around, backed by his own quips and comments about them. Pfft, who cares about lowering house prices? There are "Runaway Boobs" on the loose! Curious now aren't you?
* Sunshine of ...And The Pursuit Of Happiness: A perfectly quirky mind would be a better description. You'll love her post classifying party-goers. The whole time I was reading it I kept nodding my head and going "Oh yeah." She's like that. You'll start into a post wondering where it's headed and by the end of it she'll have you agreeing with her wholeheartedly.
"Celebrity" Spork Award
* Wordgirl of Half Of The Sky: Truly one of the most fluid writers I've ever read. Wordgirl has the capability of trapping you in a paragraph, reading it over and over again, simply because it's so beautifully written. On top of being a blogger she's a freelance writer and the mother to three handsome young men.
* Mamatulip of Where am I going... And Why Am I In This Handbasket?: When I first stumbled across Mamatulip's blog I thought for sure she was another Dooce. She's amazingly candid, incredibly funny, and probably more popular than she even realizes. So you see, it was easy for a beginning blogger like me to feel insignificant. But to my surprise, she never treated me as such and I am proud to call her a friend.
* Jess Riley of Riley's Ramblings: Our up-and-coming author! Jess has an undeniable spark that transfers easily into her writing. You'll understand instantly why she's destined for great things. (Just don't forget us little people OK?)
"Bold" Spork Award
* Lily of Gynocracy Invasion: A woman's blog for politics, news, and basic rants about men and life. Lily herself is both charming and self assured, a bomb-proof combination. I wish I'd known more females like her growing up.
* Freakazojd of Freakazojd's Palace: A hodgepodge of meme's, fun links, funny stories, and cool pictures... That is, when she's not MIA. Go see if you can coax her back out.
* Sarah of Solipsist: Lovely little posts about everything and nothing and all that's in between. She's also got the best search terms ever, not to mention the best responses to them.
* EE of The EE: There's never a dull moment on EE's blog. She's flirty, fun, and brutally honest. She gives hope to women that there is life after having kids and that Mom's can be goddesses too.
"Giving" Spork Award
* Mary of Why?: It doesn't get much more "giving" than working in the medical field. It takes a strong head and a soft heart to take on that profession. Both of which Mary has.
* Odd Mix of The Odd Mix: Loving husband, dedicated father, hard worker, outstanding photographer, King of the Weekend Word Challenge.
* G of Perpetual Exhaustion: The blog name says it all. With four young kids, two of them twins, it's a wonder she can find anytime to blog! Living proof that Wonder Woman does exist, and she's living in Ontario, Canada.
GEEZ, that took me forever!!
Feel free to leave your acceptance speeches in the comment box below.
Have a great weekend. I'm going to go soak my head now.