Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Sweet Home Alabama

Saturday, June 16th: Hoop and I met up with fellow bloggers Tammy and Sarah, and their motley crew of husbands and college friends. I wasn't sure what to expect. Although, fortunately, I'd already been warned to expect this guy:

I can only imagine what his tan lines looked like.

It didn't take long for Hoop and I to feel at home. Tammy and Sarah are two of the coolest cats you could ever hope to meet. Shit, by the end of the day we were making
gang signs together. If that doesn't show love, Homey, I don't know what does.

Sunday, June 17th - Thursday, June 21st: Hoop and I had expected the drive to Dauphin Island to take anywhere from four to five hours. The reality was more like seven and a half. Which landed us right in the middle of Hickville by 10pm Sunday night. I scanned the surroundings while Hoop drove, desperately looking for the back road MapQuest said to turn on. Fucking MapQuest. We found a main road out on the drive home. Not only did it shave twenty minutes off our route, but it kept us out of shooting range.

The only thing that dotted the desolate, dark road was the occasional reflective sign. Triangle 1. Square 54. "Maybe they're house numbers," I thought. Then I saw four more Triangle 1 signs. "Guess not." Just when I was beginning to think we were in a "Hills Have Eyes" remake, the darkness broke and we arrived at Dauphin Island. Our first impression of the beach town was grim. The only thing in sight was a tiny gas station and a bait shop that turned out to be the town's only grocery store. The rest was made up of houses built on stilts.

6:30 the next morning, we awoke to the sounds of breakfast cooking. How could we miss it? Our bed resided in the middle of the living room. Fuzzy headed and hungry, I walked around like a zombie, weaving my way around people and pets. All in all we had ten adults, four kids, and three dogs. I was beginning to regret our choice of vacation spots, until we hit the beach. There's nothing like a little sun and salt water to lighten my mood. And here we had TWO beaches. One on each side! Hoop wasn't as impressed. "There are oil rigs?!" He asked, pointing just off the coast. "Is the water even safe?"

It was. I hope. I'll let you know if I start glowing. Besides the rigs, Dauphin Beach is home to many dolphins and hermit crabs. Both of which we saw in abundance while there. No shit guys, I think it might be the hermit crab capital of the U.S. I'm used to seeing those things in STORES, not milling around like cattle. Our favorite part of the vacation was when we swam the bay. We kept walking further and further out, expecting it to get deeper. But it never did. A mile out, the water was still chest level. It was amazing. Hoop and I could have stayed out there all day.

To Be Continued...

Labels:

16 Comments:

At 26 June, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The hermit crab/cattle makes me think of the last pirates movie. The thought of them freaks me out more than a little.

I can't wait for part 2

 
At 26 June, 2007, Blogger mamatulip said...

I'm covered in goosebumps thinking about The Hills Have Eyes. If I were you I would have turned around and gone home. That movie scared the CRAP out of me.

 
At 26 June, 2007, Blogger EE said...

The hermit crab capital of the U.S...

*snort*

Haley would LOVE it there!

 
At 26 June, 2007, Blogger Spamboy said...

Yep, the dudes are everywhere. What's fun is going out on the beach at night with a flashlight, then turning it on and catching some of the Ghost Crabs scurrying around.

 
At 26 June, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Word.

 
At 26 June, 2007, Blogger Chris said...

Cursed Mapquest and their silly disclaimer: "Not to be used for navigation." Well, duh, WTF else would you use a map for?! Their directions for my destination in the middle of nowhere, Nebraska, were missing a few critical turns... Only luck got me there.

And what's even funnier? I bought a cheap atlas to have in the car - and it's a Mapquest atlas. Dude, I sure hope this one's okayed for navigation...

 
At 26 June, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great time! I didn't even know Alabama had a beach? But apparently they do, since you went to it, and it's a pretty durn good lookin beach too!!!

Love the blog headers, it'll be hard to pick just one! How in the world do you make those, anyway?

 
At 26 June, 2007, Blogger Chelle Y. said...

I want to meet some of my cool, blogging friends! :)

 
At 26 June, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're glad you're back!

 
At 26 June, 2007, Blogger Jay said...

I didn't even notice this post when I was here earlier. Luckily I come back to read everyone's comments and I saw it the second time around.

Don't most shark attacks occur in chest deep water? Just wondering. ;-)

 
At 27 June, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And? AND??? Did you get to see Myles and smell the top of his head?

 
At 27 June, 2007, Blogger captain corky said...

Damn, I wish I could spend a week at the beach. I heart dolphins and hermit crabs, and salt air, and oil rigs. Well, not oil rigs but you know what I mean.

 
At 27 June, 2007, Blogger Tink said...

Wordgirl: Different Tammy. Although I would LOVE to see Teebs and little Myles soon!

 
At 27 June, 2007, Blogger Blank said...

Sounds like a good time. Loved those pictures below.

 
At 27 June, 2007, Blogger mrspao said...

He's gonna swim with da fishes, hmm? Or have I been watching too many bad mafia films!!!!! Giggle

 
At 28 June, 2007, Blogger Chris Cactus said...

I know Sarah and she and her husband are awesome. I am 100% jealous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home