Monday, June 11, 2007

You Had To Be There

Saturday: Saturday morning, I met Mom and Grandma down town for a Ladies Day. We surprised Grandma with a ring for her birthday. One even I, an apathetic jewelry wearer, could appreciate. The stones were African Orange Sapphires:

Isn't it beautiful?

Grandma paraded it through town, waving her hand around in unnecessary gestures, hoping that someone would take notice. After lunch Hoop suggested we drive to Daytona. I was hesitant at first, considering our luck with traveling lately. Every time we try, something unfortunate happens. Luckily, the only unfortunate "happening" this time was that we didn't want to drive back home. It was 8 o'clock when we got there, witching hour for the locals and tourists. A concert was in full swing on the beach. Everyone was sipping Mai Tais, waiting for the fireworks. Hoop and I grabbed a drink and hovered in the doorway of the bar, looking for a seat. If Captain Charles and his lady Stacy hadn't called us over, we might have finished our drinks and left. Instead, we stayed on until one, long after the tourists and more sensible locals had disappeared.


Three rounds in, tongues began to loosen. There were boasts and brags and strange confessions. I vaguely remember Hoop telling them that I dance whenever dessert is made. They begged to see my "Cupcake Dance." Heavy headed, I thought about it. But somewhere in the back of my head, a little voice yelled through the rum cloud. "Not without dessert first!" A girl has to have standards, you know? The Captain professed to be a Green Beret. It seems laughable now. The guy was the same size as me! His girlfriend Stacy was stolen goods, snatched from a two year relationship barely six months before. She flashed us her diamond ring as the Captain asked if we were married. "Not yet," Hoop replied. That got an eyebrow raise out of me.

By the end of the night, the Captain was inviting us back to his boat. "It has three beds and two baths!" Which made my head swim for a moment. Who the hell had we been drinking with, royalty? Hoop and I declined the offer, despite Captain's adamant insistence that we come along. I don't fare well on boats. Boats don't like me. I can't imagine one taking pity on me simply because I'm drunk and trying to sleep. Instead of the spinning sensation I normally get when intoxicated, this room would ACTUALLY be spinning. So Hoop and I said our good-byes, traded numbers, and headed for the beach. Later that morning, once sobered, we made our way back to the car. On the way out we were approached by a wayward crab and a drug dealer.

Hoop had just picked the crab off the street when the dealer came by and ruined our photo op. Somehow in the confusion, Hoop dropped the crab and there was much discussion afterward whether the poor crustacean had lost an eyeball. There we were, (Hoop, the drug dealer, and me) on our knees, trying to find the crab's missing eye. Apparently it hadn't been lost at all, simply misplaced. We all had a good laugh and parted ways. The drug dealer pausing for a moment to wave and call Hoop by name, a mystery I later unraveled when I realized I had been yelling, "Is it blind, Hoop? Is it blind?" several times after the accident. On the way home, Sunday's hangover began, splitting my head with the pounding of drums. But it was worth it. If you're ever bored or in need of an adventure, I recommend Daytona.

Sunday: Hoop and I did absolutely NOTHING. That's what we get for having too much fun the day/night before.

Monday: In the mornings I'm usually oblivious to everything but the road and my radio. But this morning, I happened to turn my head and catch the most amazing sight... A field of sunflowers. The moment felt like it went on forever. I couldn't help but feel optimistic about the day. It was as if those flowers had been planted for me.


How was your weekend?

Labels:

21 Comments:

At 11 June, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, my weekend was not nearly as exciting as yours. Unless you count late night feedings. I did have a glass of wine though. Who-hoo! I rock!

 
At 11 June, 2007, Blogger Lefty said...

I think you missed a great opportunity by not getting on that boat. No wild weekend is complete without adding "murdered by two strangers on a boat" to the list.

 
At 11 June, 2007, Blogger meno said...

Orange sapphire? I need one.

The crab will just grow a new eye if he lost one, don't worry.

What does the "not yet" imply? I'm nosy like that.

 
At 11 June, 2007, Blogger Jay said...

Those sunflowers were planted there for you. BY ME. I'm just a great guy like that. LOL ... OK, I didn't really plant them. LOL

What's the worst that could have happend on that boat. I mean, other than them killing you and dumping your bodies in shark infested waters. Other than that it might have been lots of fun. ;-)

 
At 11 June, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you guys just sleep on the beach!? I haven't done that one in a while. I say, good for you for not going to the boat. Think of how awkward it would have gotten when you and Hoop turned down their group-sex proposition.

You WOULD have turned it down, right?

 
At 11 June, 2007, Blogger Tink said...

Mamalujo: Well that depends. Is the other alternative being killed? ;)

Jay: Worst case scenario would be them NOT killing us and then dumping our bodies into shark infested waters. *Shudder*

Meno: Do their eyes grow back? I was about in tears over the fate of that stupid one-eyed crab. That could have been the hangover talking though. The "not yet" reply was a little odd considering he hasn't even proposed yet. :)

Lefty: "Natural Born Killers" did come to mind...

TB: A glass of wine can be exciting! You've been forced into sobriety for 10 months now. A glass of wine probably gets you pretty tipsy. ;)

 
At 11 June, 2007, Blogger Alex said...

My weekend rocked. Hard. I had a date that rocked my socks. I'm totally in like with this guy.

Spent all day Saturday at Water World for a 7 year old's birthday party.

Oh, and I became an aunt! My sister finally popped Saturday morning.

 
At 11 June, 2007, Blogger captain corky said...

"Hoop and I did absolutely NOTHING. That's what we get for having too much fun the day/night before".

That sounds like my idea of a great day. So does being able to jump in the car and hit a bar in Daytona by night fall. Sounds like your weekend kicked ass Tink!

 
At 11 June, 2007, Blogger Molly said...

Oh Tink that is a tremendously beautiful stone. Your weekend does sound exciting. When you got to the part about the invitation for a boat ride, I am screaming inside, "No, Tink, No, Hoop, don't get on the boat." But of course, you cannot hear me, and it would be too late anyways. I am glad that you had fun. A week beginning with sunflowers has to be good.
Take care.

 
At 11 June, 2007, Blogger J-Funk said...

Wow when I was reading that I felt like I was there, then I looked at the top and realized the title of the post was "you had to be there" - but you don't! well written!

 
At 11 June, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have blue Cambodian sapphires, one each, in our wedding band. They orange sapphire is beautiful, also.

Did you know that the bloom on the sunflower will follow the sun during the day? We stayed on a sunflower farm in South Dakota and the head of the flower would face the sun when it rose and follow it across the sky until it set. It was amazing.

 
At 12 June, 2007, Blogger Lynn@ZelleBlog said...

If you found the eye, would you glue it?

 
At 12 June, 2007, Blogger Tawcan said...

Sounds like a fun weekend. That stone looks pretty amazing. :)

I had lots fun this past weekend too. Spent my weekend skiing. Yep you heard me right, skiing in June. I am from Canada you know, and we live in igloos. ;)

 
At 12 June, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

those sunflowers were there just for you, Tink.

 
At 12 June, 2007, Blogger mamatulip said...

Your Saturday night sounds fucked up, dude! In a good way. Sounds like I should have been there, LOL.

The stone gorgeous; I've never seen an orange sapphire before.

My weekend was good. We had Julia's 4th birthday party, which was exhausting. But good. :)

 
At 12 June, 2007, Blogger Lynnea said...

Cool weekend! But the sunflowers, that was the best image. Planted just for you. Did it make you want to pull the car over and just run willy nilly through them?

 
At 12 June, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your life never lacks excitement, I'll give you that!

I planted those just for you, I'm so glad you saw them!!! *L*

I have to come visit you sometime, you have just the kind of fun I like!

 
At 12 June, 2007, Blogger Newt said...

You know it's a good read when both the post AND the comments keep you laughing and smiling and laughing and smiling.

And those flowers were there just for you.

 
At 12 June, 2007, Blogger spellconjurer said...

Me thinks maybe Tink's happiness starts to bloom again like the sunflowers did. Maybe a month ago you might not have even noticed them. You did, you felt happiness at the vision of them.

Roses are Red
Sunflowers are not
I'm really glad you avoided the boat
and didn't end up shot.

 
At 12 June, 2007, Blogger Tink said...

Spellconjurer: Me thinks so too. ;)

Butterfly Girl: Come on down! The adventure is always different.

Maggie: If I hadn't already been late for work, I probably would have!

Mama T: She's FOUR?! No way. When did that happen?

Tawcan: Believe it or not, I've never been skiing. Then again, I don't really care for the cold. So that's probably why.

Lynn: Nah. I might have had a funeral for it though.

Gawilli: I never knew that! See? That's why I love having you around. You're full of cool (albeit useless hehe) information.

J-Funk: Aw! Thank you. I take that as the highest compliment. I reread the post last night and thought, "I've totally lost them now."

MJD: *Snort* Don't worry. We didn't end up like the idiots in one of those B horror movies, running off into obviously bad situations.

Alex: Alex and mystery dude sittin' in a tree... ;)

 
At 14 June, 2007, Blogger mrspao said...

Sounds like an excellent way to spend the weekend!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home