Friday, March 28, 2008

Where Was I?

Oh yeah...

Vacation Recap Continued:
23. Sunday afternoon, the entire family met at Hoop's Nanny's house for linner (lunch/dinner) and an egg hunt.
24. I'd never participated in an adult egg hunt before, but knowing how competitive Hoop's family is, I was determined not to be outdone.
25. As soon as we got the green light, I charged ahead for an egg two feet in front of me...
26. ...and slammed head first into Hoop's ape of a cousin, Adam.
27. Our heads knocked together like two coconuts, with Adam as the victor. "Mine!" He cackled while shoving me aside effortlessly.
28. After ten minutes of combing the field, all the regular eggs had been found. There was still no sign of the prize egg though.
29. "It's attached to a green string!" Hoop's Dad announced. We collectively groaned and went back to picking through the acre of bright green grass.
30. "It's in this corner!" He announced five minutes later. We all huddled together, bumping elbows and kicking at the ground with our feet.
31. I looked up to see Hoop's Dad grinning at me. It had to be close. Then Hoop's aunt reached down and pulled the green string from below my foot. I had been standing on the hole it was buried in the entire time!
32. She deserved it though. It was the first prize egg she'd ever found in the fifty-plus years they'd been doing it.
33. But next year... it's MINE!
34. We arrived at Hoop's Dad's cabin at ten am on Saturday morning. Neither of us had gotten more than four hours of sleep, but Hoop's family was just starting their day.
35. Not wanting to be killjoys, we decided to forgo sleeping and stay up with the family instead. Still, I didn't mind declining when Hoop's Dad implored me to go check something out with them an hour away. "Get back in the car?! No way."
36. I decided to walk up the mountain instead. About half way down the road I noticed a dead animal up ahead. I didn't want to look at it, but the close proximity of the mountain drop-off required I walk right next to it.
37. "Is it a deer?" I thought sadly. As I got closer the shape started to take a little more form. My heart dropped. It was a dog.
38. I was a foot away when it raised it's head and barked at me.
39. My scream echoed off the mountain for at least a minute. At least.
40. I named him "NOT Dead Dog." Surprisingly, he came to it. Isn't he cute?


Have a fantastic weekend Homebloys!

Labels:

34 Comments:

At 28 March, 2008, Blogger Mike said...

Well, did you keep not dead?

If not, can I have him?

 
At 28 March, 2008, Blogger Knight said...

Wow, playing with an aggressive group like that it's a good thing it was only eggs and not beer!

 
At 28 March, 2008, Blogger Jay said...

You brought that dog back to life!

Or you woke him from his afternoon nap. ;-)

Is there a rule against bringing a weapon with you to that egg hunt? Like maybe a baseball bat?

 
At 28 March, 2008, Blogger Blank said...

Not Dead Dog is so cute.

That's some rough and tumble egg hunting. Next time, you should train ahead of the event.

 
At 28 March, 2008, Blogger Chris said...

Hmmm - Easter and you brought something back to life... Coincidence? I think not. Did the dog say anything profound??

 
At 28 March, 2008, Blogger Dianne said...

You are keeping NOT dead dog right?

He's beautiful and may posess some magical powers :)

I'm with Jay - that egg-hunt requires weapons but I'd bring a concealed taser.

 
At 28 March, 2008, Blogger gary rith said...

what a handsome doggy!
no, I don't need another...

 
At 28 March, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh, "Not Dead Dog" famous expression used by home boys in L.A. in the late 80's whence all goodness and decency came. An expression of surprise e.g. "Not dead dawwwwgggg?"

~Jef

 
At 28 March, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great looking hound. Not Dead Dog, indeed. Your in-laws sound crazier than mine. Is it bad to take comfort in that? ;-)

 
At 29 March, 2008, Blogger Peggy said...

Looks like Not Dead has a tag. I hope he finds his home!

Hoop's family BURIES eggs for Easter egg hunts? Whoa! They're serious! I have to put eggs practically in the middle of the floor for my dim family to find them.

 
At 29 March, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not Dead Dog looks unhappy to see you.

He's like the unLOLcat.

 
At 29 March, 2008, Blogger flutter said...

Not Dead Dog is a total metaphor for life.

 
At 29 March, 2008, Blogger fiwa said...

Well it sounds like you had a good time once you got there! The easter egg hunt sounds hilarious, I wish you'd have someone tape it next year. :)

I can understand about not dead, sometimes I walk into my bedroom and find a dead dog on my bed. Silly dogs - they'll sleep anywhere, won't they?

 
At 29 March, 2008, Blogger Hilary said...

Seems like Not Dead dog was the prize egg.

 
At 29 March, 2008, Blogger furiousBall said...

that dog might be Jesus or a zombie you know? Or a zombie Jesus.

 
At 29 March, 2008, Blogger Foo said...

Thanks for the recap of the adult Easter egg hunt. As they say in that neck of the woods, "I ain't never heard no such."

Looks pretty, though. I miss that area with all of its hills and trees.

 
At 29 March, 2008, Blogger Reb said...

Not Dead Dog is very cute, but he looks awfully suspicious of you & your camera. You might want to consider wearing football gear next Easter for the hunt.

 
At 29 March, 2008, Blogger R.E.H. said...

Haha! So funny you were standing on the egg the whole time ;)

And, thanks for clearing that up - I was wondering what happened to some poor girl when I heard that scream... yeah, it was that loud!

 
At 29 March, 2008, Blogger Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

Not dead dog looks a little POd at you. You probably startled him/her as much as the dog did you.

Thank goodness no bite followed!

 
At 29 March, 2008, Blogger Sparkling Red said...

I kind of figured and undead dog would be more... tattered. And covered with dirty, half-unwound linen bandages. Was he moaning for brains?

 
At 29 March, 2008, Blogger Chris Cactus said...

Not Dead Dog? Awesome. Happy weekend.

 
At 29 March, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm...Hoop's dad hides eggs underground and SuperDad hides eggs 15' up in trees. Some of these guys take The Hunt rather seriously! However, I've never felt the need to wear football gear on Easter Sunday...yet.
Not Dead Dog? I would have screamed, too! Poor Tink. Poor doggie. (ooh, he looks like he doesn't shed--maybe he wants to come live with us?)

 
At 30 March, 2008, Blogger mrspao said...

That is a gorgeous dog.

You'll definitely win next year!

 
At 30 March, 2008, Blogger Christy said...

Was the dog hurt or just resting? Very interesting markings, beautiful actually.

You WOULD be the one to stand on the egg and not find it. Hehehehe.

 
At 30 March, 2008, Blogger Freakazojd said...

Oh my GOD, you raised a dog from the DEAD?!?! You're awesome! :)
And that egg hunt sounds seriously fun. Literally. What a great tradition!

 
At 30 March, 2008, Blogger Jo said...

Zombie dog, how perfect! I'm glad he wasn't dead, he's so cute even though he's looking at you all suspicious-like.

A full-contact egg hunt sounds so fun...I never thought to put one in a hole, I'm totally stealing that idea!

 
At 30 March, 2008, Blogger Kimmykay said...

Sounds like so much fun! I have never done an adult egg hunt either. How many eggs to get finally get?

Love the dog story.

 
At 30 March, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

After the hunt, the walk up the mountain and having the crap scared out of you by a NOT DEAD dog? I'm thinking a nap would have been in order.

 
At 30 March, 2008, Blogger mamatulip said...

Your dog story reminds me of this one time my cat, Misery, brought a bird into my room, dropped it on the floor and walked away. And when I went to go 'take care' of it, it suddenly came to life, half-dead, fluttering and flapping around like crazy in front of my face.

I fucking FREAKED OUT.

 
At 31 March, 2008, Blogger the planet of janet said...

so did not dead dog not follow you home?

 
At 31 March, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too funny! I'm glad it was a living thing though...

 
At 31 March, 2008, Blogger Jen said...

I'm glad your NotDead Dog is not dead. I can't say the same for the one I saw driving home from school on the highway today. I'm still really upset by it. . . .

Hope your noggin' is okay from the head crack you received egg hunting. That just sounded p

 
At 31 March, 2008, Blogger Newt said...

Awww cute puppie. Sounds like your vacation was a blast!

 
At 31 March, 2008, Blogger Allison Horner said...

OMG! That dog is sooo cute!! I want it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home