Monday, May 22, 2006

The Fuckit Point

To quote Hoop, "Once you hit the 'Fuckit Point' there's no turning back." It's Monday. At sometime during the drive to work my motivation went kamikaze and threw itself from the car.

Talkin' Tongues: On the way back from my parents house Saturday I saw a church with the sign, "Da Vinci Code Session Sundays." It was right across the street from the church that announced, "Halloween hurts Jesus" back in October. Did I mention? I live on a Bible Belt. I'm about the last hole, which places my parents at the buckle. Their little town has two stop lights, one grocery store, and thirty-four churches. 90% of the houses in their town have 10 Commandment signs in their yards. They're even at the local restaurants and stuck to the back of cars.

When they moved there, my Mom was afraid that people would turn on her for having a Pro-Kerry bumper sticker. She outright refused to attach the Darwin Fish I bought her. Florida country folk tend to be a little narrow minded. I don't think many even realize there are more religions than just their own. Whenever they notice my fish I hear, "Thas a strange lookin' Jesus fish you got der. It has legs!" And then they laugh like I'm just some crazy kid. School systems there try to incorporate the bible into history lessons. "Slavery? Well that reminds me of Jesus. He was a slave too!"

Last night Hoop and I went to see "The Da Vinci Code." I read the book when it first came out, sparking six months of extensive research on the subject. So of course I set myself up for the movie to be a big disappointment. I love Tom Hanks. But he was not the right person to be playing this role. It was also a little irritating that the focus of the movie was more on the characters than the history. I was deep in thought when we got up to leave. It was Hoop who pointed out that something was wrong. Of all the people leaving the theatre, not a single one spoke. The crowd that left was as silent as a parade of mimes. It was almost like they were scared.

When we got home Hoop and I talked for two hours on the topic of religion. He's always trying to stretch my brain with all kinds of "what ifs." What if God didn't make us? What if WE made God? What if the only thing keeping the government stable is religion? What if there is no meaning to life? What if the only reason we exist is simply because of our instinct to survive? What if the idea of heaven and hell was just created to keep us from misbehaving? What if this is it? Questions with no answers. Questions that only lead to more questions.

I feel like I'm getting practice for parenthood. :)

Daily Hoop Conversation:
(While at our favorite hole-in-the-wall coffee shop)
Employee: Excuse me! If you want to sit down in the lounge you must be a member.
Tink: A member?
Employee: Yes. We're now a V.I.P. coffee lounge. You must pay a $10 membership fee to join.
Tink: A fee? What about the tourists?
Employee: *Shrugs*
Hoop: So let me get this straight... You want us to PAY to sit on your stinky couches in your dark and dank room sipping on coffee we've already paid for?
Employee: I'm sorry. It's the new policy.
Hoop: You poor bastard. You must get awfully tired of people laughing in your face. I hope they pay you well.


Contest courtesy of Odd Mix:

Mirror

Missing


(And some random weekend pictures)

The Bridge At Night

Big Bug

20 Comments:

At 22 May, 2006, Blogger Jay said...

"Fuckit Point" I like that. Hope Hoop doesn't mind if I steal that one.

What if life on Earth is actually Hell, and after we die we go on to Heaven? If God is all knowing and all loving, why do things like Hurricane Katrina happen? Is the Bible the word of God, or is the word of a group of control freaks who wanted to run everyone else's lives? And on and on and on. You're right, only questions, no answers.

Love the pics. Our "mirror" pics are almost the same. Great minds ....

 
At 22 May, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn Blogger and its problems today, or it may be my computer, but I can't see the pictures.

Anyway, I love the kinds of questions Hoop asks. One thing you can be sure of, you'll never run out of things to talk about.

 
At 22 May, 2006, Blogger mamatulip said...

So -- you didn't like the movie. Hmmm. I've never read the book and really don't want to but the movie seems interesting and I'd like to see it.

Your pictures are fabulous -- I love the mirror one. And yeah, that's a fuckin' big bug.

 
At 22 May, 2006, Blogger Chris said...

Your pictures are stunningly cool!

Heh, remember the song "Dear God" by XTC? I had a flashback to it when reading the questions Hoop likes to ask you.

 
At 22 May, 2006, Blogger graymama said...

I love your pictures!

I grew up with a fundamentalist catholic mother, so I understand how people can think there is only one religion in existence, and they belong to it.

I tend not to see big hype movies or read big hype books until I can find either at the used book store. It will be a while before I could comment on this one.

That is bullshit about the membership fee! Who came up with that idea? Who thought it was a good idea?!

Dear God is a great song!

 
At 22 May, 2006, Blogger Jess Riley said...

Maybe that silence at the end of the film was the sound of ... critical thinking. lol

I know what you mean about the what-ifs; I started asking mine in grade school and never looked back. My husband loves to "pull a Hoop" on this subject with his more religious friends. They probably all secretly think he's an instrument of satan. But they'll still go golfing with him, of course. ;)

 
At 22 May, 2006, Blogger Peevish said...

Those pictures are really good.

So... when you say you're practising for parenthood....anything you haven't been telling us???

 
At 22 May, 2006, Blogger Rock said...

Nice eyes Tink. Good pic.

As I said on my most recent post about this very subject I grew up Catholic - and man that is a whole different issue. My parents are every Sunday go-to-meeting folks but I guess there was always (what I thought) the healthy questioning in me about what really is the deal?

So as i hurriedly read the book the last few weeks just to get ready for the movie I enjoyed the counter-theory explored (although there is a plethora of other books that can fairly debunk much of what Dan Brown says). I also pictured Tom Hanks as langod as I read it - i thought he could pull it off. You say he didn't? have yet to see the movie - want the crowds to fade away.

 
At 22 May, 2006, Blogger Odd Mix said...

I like both shots very much. The content is excellent and the perspective on the missing shot is great. Whether you intended to or not, you nailed two fundamental rules of composition - don't center the focus (the rule of thirds) and create motion with diagonals and curves. Your eye - which is usually the focus of a face shot - is exactly where it aught to be to make the miror shot dynamic. The diagonal line defined by the bottom of the dominos leads the eye right through the image - neatly highlighting the missing piece.

Very well done!

But doesn't it strike anybody else as fundamentaly wrong to put a makeup miror on the driver's side visor? or is it just me?

 
At 23 May, 2006, Blogger Mary said...

Hoop and I could have great what if convo's about God...heheheh...

WhoTF would pay to sit in a coffee bar?? Seriously?

 
At 23 May, 2006, Blogger Heather Simpson-Bluhm said...

"fuckit point" for sure.. wait til you have a 2.5 year old in your household. Id say you'll hit that point about 10 times a day. ;)

 
At 23 May, 2006, Blogger EE said...

LOVE your pics...esp the mirror one!

 
At 23 May, 2006, Blogger Arabella said...

They want you to PAY to sit there and drink coffee???

Yeah, THAT's gonna work out well for them.

 
At 23 May, 2006, Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

I hope you told the coffee people to Fuckit and that you were pointing at them.

 
At 23 May, 2006, Blogger Tink said...

Jay: Hoop is like the king of quotable phrases. I'm sure he'd be honored for you to use it. Me? I just steal 'em and then claim them as my own.

Chelle: Well I'm glad you're not the type to take those kinds of movies offensively. I totally respect whatever people believe in. I just don't appreciate it when anything outside that religion becomes a target. How was Over The Hedge? It looked like a cute movie.

TB: It is never dull girl. :)

Mama T: I swear I live on a toxic waste dump. Not only are the bugs HUGE, but I swear I've saw a two headed lizard the other day.

Chris: Thank you! I wasn't as confident about this set of pictures as the last. And, I do remember that song. It should be Hoop's anthem.

Graymama: We're beginning to suspect the new coffee house owners are trying to weed out the old crowd that hung out there so they can revamp it as something a little less grunge and a little more posh. It's just not going to happen in this college town.

Jess: "They probably all secretly think he's an instrument of Satan. But they'll still go golfing with him, of course. ;)" *Snort* But of course. NOTHING stops golf.

Peevish: Nope, no secrets. I think I should work on getting him to pop the question first. ;)

Wordgirl: Hehe. I once got kicked out of Sunday school for asking too many questions like that, by a minister who believed the dinosaurs were a myth because there was no mention of them in the bible. Geesh.

Rock: Awww. Thanks! Dan Brown's theory IS full of holes, but still interesting isn't it? I especially liked all the theories behind Da Vinci's art. By studying all his paintings I really developed a fondness for that time period that I wouldn't have gotten on my own.

Odd Mix: THANK YOU. You don't know how much it means to me that you've taken the time to analyze them! And YES... A vanity mirror on the driver's side is completely moronic and dangerous. I also happen to use mine all the friggin time. ;)

Mary/Arabella/Deb: I am so glad you all find it as stupid as I do! I mean... I really should sneak in and take pictures of this place for you. It looks like a decorated garage.

Heather: I have always believed that Mom's are superhuman. :D

EE: Thank you. The car next to me didn't seem to appreciate it as much. In fact, they looked a little worried. *Shrug* Dunno why.

 
At 23 May, 2006, Blogger Trish said...

I thought the same thing about Tom Hanks playing that role when I heard he had been cast as that character from the book. I just didn't see him the way he was described in the book. I was hoping I was wrong when I saw the movie.

I was raised in a very religious household as well, and I think that's where I learned sarcasm, hahahaha.

 
At 23 May, 2006, Blogger Newt said...

The whole Tom Hanks things made me cringe. He's so wrong for the part. He's good at what he does but I can never see anyone but Tom Hanks in any movie he does.
I had more of a Daniel Day Lewis, Gerard Butler, or Viggo Mortenson in mind. Someone who can play a good scruffy intellect.

As I have grown older and braver I have been able to tell my parents that I don't believe what they raised me to believe and have instead decided I respect and am in awe of mother nature. Outside of that, I have no idea. There are too many things in the world that make you go WTF to believe in an all merciful higher power.

 
At 24 May, 2006, Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

I liked the book and I like Tom and I want to go see the movie, just so it can make more money and piss off the conservatives....any day I can do that, I will consider a good day...

I love the Darwin car ornaments, but I am too big of a wuss to get one, I don't want someone verbaly attacking me in a parking lot over it.....

 
At 24 May, 2006, Blogger Andrew Fletcher said...

My buddy used to say "commitment is not optional at this point, it's required". The "fuckit point" has a MUCH better ring to it.

Cool photos as well. The lighting in mirror is right on the money and the perspective in missing is great!!

 
At 25 May, 2006, Blogger Pixie LaRouge said...

fuckit point. I like that. Really, really like that. I'm at the fuckit point in life right now, and now I know what to tell people. Thank Hoop for me.

I'm planning on seeing the Da Vinci Code at some point, primarily to annoy people. It'll be fun to mention at family gatherings with my way-too-uptight stepsister. Of course, just telling her, when asked why I'm divorcing, "I hit the fuckit point" would probably work as well. Hang onto that Hoop. He's a jewel!

Ten bucks to sit on smelly couches? That's so wrong...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home