On This Day...
1 year ago: I was waking up to the man I love, holding breakfast and a plaid-wrapped present that turned out to be the world's greatest coffee maker.
2 years ago: My Father was in town, for what would turn out to be the last time we would see each other.
3 years ago: Another visit from my Father, this one more cheerful. We spent the day building a fence and bonding. A memory I cherish more than the finished product.
6 years ago: Abandoned by friends, I spent the evening in a dirty bar playing round after round of darts with strangers. I came home late. But my Mom was still up, waiting by the door with a bouquet of pink roses.
8 years ago: Mom and I ran off to Orlando for a week. We hopped the parks during the day and walked the shops at night. It was the best vacation I've ever had.
15 years ago: It was the year I learned how to roller skate. We threw my party at the rink. My Dad couldn't stop me long enough to have cake.
23 years ago: My Grandfather took my Mom and I out to a fancy restaurant and I decorated the floor with a whole birthday cake. He tipped the waitress half the amount of the tab that night.
24 years ago: I was born, blue-faced and bald. As soon as they cut the cord from around my throat, I inhaled and screamed... Thus, my life began.
1. Friday night we met up with my Grandparents for an early birthday dinner.
2. It was wonderful, save for our server and an embarrassing moment or two.
Server: Would you like another drink?
Tink: No, I'm fine. Thanks.
Server: Ok, I'll bring you another.
Tink: NO. I don't want another.
Server: Oh! Ok.
Hoop: Can I get some Mayo?
Server: Sure... and I'll be right back with your drink ma'am.
3. The most embarrassing moment happened as I was opening the gift from my parents, or rather AFTER I realized what it was.
4. Bras and thongs.
5. Don't get me wrong. I was thrilled with the present! Just not so much with my Grandfather's insistence to see what I got.
6. Or with the smirk from the gentleman at the table next to us when I showed him.
7. Saturday afternoon Hoop and I ran to the hospital to see his Grandfather. AG has pneumonia and fluid in his lungs.
8. We expected the worst.
9. We should know better by now.
Hoop: Don't you want your food Grandpa?
Alzheimer Grandpa: I'm not hungry.
Tink: You have to eat! That's part of the reason you're in here.
AG: How do you expect me to get hungry just lying in a hospital bed all day?!
Hoop: He's got a point.
10. That night we stayed at Hoop's Mom's house. It was nice to have a quiet room to ourselves.
11. Not to mention a bar only a couple blocks away.
12. The best part of the night was when we bumped into Tom, our stray from Christmas break.
13. Obviously he didn't commit suicide as we'd suspected.
14. And apparently he's "too cool" for us now, which is AWESOME considering how we left off.
15. Hoop and I toasted to his release from the brothel.
16. Sunday, we did some window shopping for overpriced couches and beds. We were originally looking for underpriced things. But since there were none of those to be had, we amused ourselves with window shopping instead.
17. Before heading home we stopped at a coat store, where Hoop purchased my birthday present. A cream suede jacket.
18. It's gorgeous, and totally impractical. I can't even keep black clean.
19. All in all it was a really nice weekend. I felt more free and happy than I have in a long time. Hoop and I were able to relax and find some piece of mind. A preview of things to come, hopefully.
20. The house closing is scheduled for next Monday!
Around The Water Cooler:
Tink: Brrrr. It's so cold!
Coworker: I know. This is ridiculous. I'm writing a letter to God.
Tink: *Snort* Good luck with that.
Coworker: I'll put your name on it, OK?
Tink: Don't forget to overnight it.
Coworker: I was thinking Angel might be quicker.
Around The Water Cooler 2:
Coworker 2: Geez. How cold do you think it is out here?
Tink: 28 degrees.
Coworker 2: *Blink*
Tink: My car has a built in meter.
Coworker: Well Tink... I think it's time we moved to Florida.
Tink: I bet it's nice and warm there.
(In case you're new here, or slow, I DO live in Florida. It's not nice or warm right now.)
How was your weekend?