Monday, January 29, 2007

On This Day...

1 year ago: I was waking up to the man I love, holding breakfast and a plaid-wrapped present that turned out to be the world's greatest coffee maker.
2 years ago: My Father was in town, for what would turn out to be the last time we would see each other.
3 years ago: Another visit from my Father, this one more cheerful. We spent the day building a fence and bonding. A memory I cherish more than the finished product.
6 years ago: Abandoned by friends, I spent the evening in a dirty bar playing round after round of darts with strangers. I came home late. But my Mom was still up, waiting by the door with a bouquet of pink roses.
8 years ago: Mom and I ran off to Orlando for a week. We hopped the parks during the day and walked the shops at night. It was the best vacation I've ever had.
15 years ago: It was the year I learned how to roller skate. We threw my party at the rink. My Dad couldn't stop me long enough to have cake.
23 years ago: My Grandfather took my Mom and I out to a fancy restaurant and I decorated the floor with a whole birthday cake. He tipped the waitress half the amount of the tab that night.
24 years ago: I was born, blue-faced and bald. As soon as they cut the cord from around my throat, I inhaled and screamed... Thus, my life began.

Weekend Recap:
1. Friday night we met up with my Grandparents for an early birthday dinner.
2. It was wonderful, save for our server and an embarrassing moment or two.
Server: Would you like another drink?
Tink: No, I'm fine. Thanks.
Server: Ok, I'll bring you another.
Tink: NO. I don't want another.
Server: Oh! Ok.
Hoop: Can I get some Mayo?
Server: Sure... and I'll be right back with your drink ma'am.
3. The most embarrassing moment happened as I was opening the gift from my parents, or rather AFTER I realized what it was.
4. Bras and thongs.
5. Don't get me wrong. I was thrilled with the present! Just not so much with my Grandfather's insistence to see what I got.
6. Or with the smirk from the gentleman at the table next to us when I showed him.
7. Saturday afternoon Hoop and I ran to the hospital to see his Grandfather. AG has pneumonia and fluid in his lungs.
8. We expected the worst.
9. We should know better by now.
Hoop: Don't you want your food Grandpa?
Alzheimer Grandpa: I'm not hungry.
Tink: You have to eat! That's part of the reason you're in here.
AG: How do you expect me to get hungry just lying in a hospital bed all day?!
Tink: ...
Hoop: He's got a point.
10. That night we stayed at Hoop's Mom's house. It was nice to have a quiet room to ourselves.
11. Not to mention a bar only a couple blocks away.
12. The best part of the night was when we bumped into
Tom, our stray from Christmas break.
13. Obviously he didn't commit suicide as we'd suspected.
14. And apparently he's "too cool" for us now, which is AWESOME considering how we left off.
15. Hoop and I toasted to his release from the brothel.
16. Sunday, we did some window shopping for overpriced couches and beds. We were originally looking for underpriced things. But since there were none of those to be had, we amused ourselves with window shopping instead.
17. Before heading home we stopped at a coat store, where Hoop purchased my birthday present. A cream suede jacket.
18. It's gorgeous, and totally impractical. I can't even keep black clean.
19. All in all it was a really nice weekend. I felt more free and happy than I have in a long time. Hoop and I were able to relax and find some piece of mind. A preview of things to come, hopefully.
20. The house closing is scheduled for next Monday!

Around The Water Cooler:
Tink: Brrrr. It's so cold!
Coworker: I know. This is ridiculous. I'm writing a letter to God.
Tink: *Snort* Good luck with that.
Coworker: I'll put your name on it, OK?
Tink: Don't forget to overnight it.
Coworker: I was thinking Angel might be quicker.

Around The Water Cooler 2:
Coworker 2: Geez. How cold do you think it is out here?
Tink: 28 degrees.
Coworker 2: *Blink*
Tink: My car has a built in meter.
Coworker: Well Tink... I think it's time we moved to Florida.
Tink: I bet it's nice and warm there.
(In case you're new here, or slow, I DO live in Florida. It's not nice or warm right now.)

How was your weekend?

Labels: , ,

34 Comments:

At 29 January, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I can't believe I'm first! I hope you have a wonderful day. hugs, from Foo & Me

PS...I enjoyed your memories. :)

 
At 29 January, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Good thing you grew out of that "blue-faced and bald" look.. huh?
-Mouse

 
At 29 January, 2007, Blogger Sunshine said...

Super duper happy birthday, your present is forthcoming, totally better than playing darts! I swear.

 
At 29 January, 2007, Blogger Jay said...

Dang it! Why didn't I know it was your birthday? I should have known!

Anyway, Happy Birthday!!!!!

Man I wish somebody woudl envent something that help me keep track of important dates. You know, something large that I could hang on the wall with all months, days and weeks listed on it. And maybe a space where I could write down improting things to remember.

 
At 29 January, 2007, Blogger Jay said...

woudl = would

and

envent = invent

and .. ignore all other typos too please.

 
At 29 January, 2007, Blogger Tink said...

Turtle: ((Hugs back)) Thank you guys!

Mouse: Right? Although everything matches with blue... and think of all the money I would save on Shampoo and hair products! :)

Sunshine: Thanks girl. What you're making is 120% better than playing darts.

Jay: Awww. It's because you were excited wasn't it? And I rather like "envent." Might be my new word, aside from "ninernet." hehe

 
At 29 January, 2007, Blogger Peevish said...

Happy Birthday Tink!!! *hugs*

 
At 29 January, 2007, Blogger graymama said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Love,
graymama, Hubby, Buddy, Golden, Metro and Tuxedo

{{{{many birthday hugs}}}} and 2-year-old messy cake kisses :-)

 
At 29 January, 2007, Blogger Newt said...

Happy Birthday my darling friend. I'm glad you had a wonderful weekend. You certaily deserved it.

*HUGS*

 
At 29 January, 2007, Blogger fiwa said...

Happy Birthday Tink! Wishing you good house closing karma,

fiwa

 
At 29 January, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRHTDAY!!!!

I hope your day...heck you get the whole week...is wonderful. And that it warms up. Jeez..I don't think my mom went your way.

 
At 29 January, 2007, Blogger Tink said...

Thank you guys! You sure know how to make a girl feel loved.

Susan: Has she been THINKING of Florida? You might want to call her and check. I'm turning into a Tink-cicle.

 
At 29 January, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday!

 
At 29 January, 2007, Blogger Mike Y said...

28 degrees? Wow! That does seem cold for that area. I don't recall it getting that cold when I lived there. But 28 around here feels pretty good these days ;)

 
At 29 January, 2007, Blogger Chris said...

Happy birthday to YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU!

Heh, the winter I lived in Florida there was record breaking cold, too. It freaked me out - people were dying! Car radiators were exploding! WTF? From a MN perspective, it was still a warm winter...

 
At 29 January, 2007, Blogger Mary said...

Happy Birthday Tink~~ This year will be better than ever, I just know it :)

 
At 29 January, 2007, Blogger Arabella said...

Happy Birthday, Tink!

You should be extremely proud of yourself for accomplishing all that you have at such a young age!!! :)

 
At 29 January, 2007, Blogger Foo said...

Happy Birthday, Tink!

 
At 29 January, 2007, Blogger gawilli said...

Happy Birthday! Sounds like a wonderful day for you...hope there are many, many more!

 
At 29 January, 2007, Blogger EE said...

Happy Birthday Tink!

Sometimes 'totally impractical' gifts are the very best of all. :)

Birthday *smooches*

 
At 29 January, 2007, Blogger Pamer said...

20 people have already said a heappy birthday too you but since I am Canada i will say it 'en francais'...

Bon anniversaire ma belle!!!

I hope it gets warmer I will be travelling to Orlando in less than two weeks. I need some hot weather, tonight my car froze...it's minus 40 degrees Celcius and as you may well know, that is actually the point when F and C are the same...THAT's fricken cold!!!

 
At 29 January, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cynical Jay told me to come here and wish you a (late) Happy Birthday, so that's what I'm doing here!

 
At 30 January, 2007, Blogger Peggy said...

Happy Birthday dear darling Tink!

Fingers crossed that everything goes well on Monday.

I pray Hoop's Grandpa gets better soon! Pneumonia can get critical pretty quickly especially for the elderly.

 
At 30 January, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! Happy Birthday sweetie! Such a good age to be. You've got the wisdom of adulthood coupled with the advantage of many more years to be "youthful". I envy you today, Tink. I really do.

 
At 30 January, 2007, Blogger Jay said...

Boo hoo for your frickin 28 degrees. We call that balmy up north!

Happy birthday all the same :)

 
At 30 January, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday! I hope you had a great day. Still catching up from my trip so I'm off to read the archives and find out what's going on with your house.

PS Can you e-mail me an address?

 
At 30 January, 2007, Blogger katy said...

Happy Belated Birthday Tink

 
At 30 January, 2007, Blogger abcd said...

Got the message from Jay that today is your Big day.
Here wishing you a happy birthday with dreams come true.

 
At 30 January, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hippo birdie two ewe!
Hippo birdie two ewe!
Hippo birdie deer ewe!
Hippo birdie two ewe!

I'm glad you found a piece of your mind... and I hope you find peace as well. You deserve it.

And, while 28 may feel frigid to you, it would have been positively balmy here the last few nights. ;)

 
At 30 January, 2007, Blogger Amy said...

Happy Birthday, Tink!

 
At 30 January, 2007, Blogger Alex said...

HOORAY FOR TINK! Happy Happy, my internet buddy. I hope your day brings you endless reasons to smile, an attitude of gratitude, and that birthday wishes come true all year long. Sending you all kinds of crazy birthday cheers!

 
At 30 January, 2007, Blogger eric said...

happy birthday!

e+

 
At 01 February, 2007, Blogger mrspao said...

Happy Birthday! (sorry it's a bit late)

 
At 02 February, 2007, Blogger LJ said...

Happy Birthday Sweetheart! May it be all and more than you desire!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home