Monday, November 05, 2007

Coffee IV Please

It's Monday.

Need I say more?

Here, have some movie reviews.

30 Days Of Night-
The problem with Horror/Gorror movies is that the characters in them continuously do things that put them in harm's way. If they didn't, there wouldn't be a movie. But watching the characters make stupid decision after stupid decision can wear on a viewer. I heard Hoop mumble "idiots" at least five times during this flick. I'll admit, the plot was somewhat predictable. But the blood and creep factor was a work of art. The writers took Vampirism to an all new level. Not for the young or the squeamish, I recommend this movie to scary movie buffs of all kinds. Hoop and I gave this movie three out of five sporks.

American Gangster-
I'm a sucker for true stories from another era. This one was interesting enough that I looked up more information on it once I got home. "American Gangster" takes place in the 1970's, back when Frank Lucas was the heroin kingpin of Harlem. The movie follows his career, from the death of his boss "Bumpy" Johnson, to the end of the Vietnam War when his business came crashing down. From what I've read in interviews with Frank Lucas, this story is as real as it gets. As with the character in the movie, the real Mr. Lucas doesn't have any remorse for his actions. Rather, he seems proud of them. Hoop and I gave this movie four out of five sporks.

The Creature-
What could go wrong with a military experiment to splice together a dolphin and a great white shark? Pfft. Everything! I'm a huge fan of hokey scary movies. But this one was painfully stupid. The monster was a shark/dolphin with legs, arms, and claws that could swim in water AND walk on land. When they weren't showing it pop up through house floors, it was hanging from a tree or rigging traps underwater for underwater fishermen. I give this movie zero out of five sporks.

Open Forum:
I know I haven't been the most diligent about answering comments lately. Rest assured, I read and enjoy them all. There's a lot going on behind the scenes at PB. Both Hoop and I are gearing up for job changes and hopefully I'll be going back to school starting Spring semester. YAY! Between the house, tossing around wedding ideas, and entertaining family from both sides, Hoop and I are pooped. So on Wednesday I'll be having an open forum. You all are free to ask whatever your hearts desire and I guarantee I will respond to your questions on Thursday's post. And so we can get it out of the way now...

Hoop wears boxers, not briefs. Sorry if that was your question.

WWC tomorrow!

Labels:

26 Comments:

At 05 November, 2007, Blogger Jay said...

I really want to see American Gangster. That movie just looks so awesome. Besides, I love gangster movies.

I'll spend the next 24 hours trying to think of a half-way decent question. Not promising it won't be a really lame question though. LOL

 
At 05 November, 2007, Blogger Mike Y said...

I was wondering how 30 Days of Night was. I want to see it.

 
At 05 November, 2007, Blogger Chris said...

Damn. Now I have no question to ask.

 
At 05 November, 2007, Blogger furiousBall said...

30 Days of Night looks cool, I want to see it.

 
At 05 November, 2007, Blogger mrspao said...

Hehe - I'm very excited to see what people ask :)

Would you ever consider an Elvis drive through wedding?

 
At 05 November, 2007, Blogger Tawcan said...

American Gangster looks like a great movie to watch. I'll have to find sometime and go to a theatre, and watch it.

The Creature? I hope you didn't pay for the movie if it was that awful. :p

 
At 05 November, 2007, Blogger Tink said...

Jay: Hey, I'm like Jesus. I love the lame too.

Mike It's worth seeing. One of those movies that makes your date end up in your lap within the first 20 minutes. Hehe.

Chris: It doesn't have to be anything thought provoking. It's mostly for anything I haven't answered in the last few weeks. For example, I think someone asked if the hairdresser had chopped off enough hair to donate. She didn't. Sadly.

Furiousball: I can't wait to see what you think.

MrsPao: I'd consider a WALK-UP up Elvis wedding. I'm not keen on drive-up anything. Oh wait, was that your Wednesday question?

Tawcan: No way. It was on some off channel yesterday. Hoop flipped to it because he knows I love me some cheesy horror flicks. This one was just awful.

 
At 05 November, 2007, Blogger Avery Gray said...

Hi! Never been to your blog before, but Jef (Edge) told me I had to check it out. Glad I did! You're a riot!

Glad to meet ya!

 
At 05 November, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh the pressure to find the perfect question. I hope you are happy now. ;)

 
At 05 November, 2007, Blogger mamatulip said...

I want to see American Gangster. I've heard it's good but your review makes me want to see it even more.

Hmm. A good question? My face is so full of snot right now it's got its own heartbeat, so I'll have to come back after I've sifted through the snot and can actually like, think. You might have to remind me. :)

 
At 05 November, 2007, Blogger fiwa said...

Oh good, I've been thinking about seeing American Gangster, so good to know you liked it. And the comments? Hey, sometimes life just gets away from you. Don't sweat it.

 
At 05 November, 2007, Blogger R.E.H. said...

30 Days of Night I wanna see, and for some reason, despite being warned I have a curious need to watch The Creature as well. A Dolphin/Shark with arms and legs?

Freakin' hilarious!

I can't come up with a question for you right now, but I'll keep thinking about it.

 
At 05 November, 2007, Blogger g-man said...

Coffee IV, I'd be into that. Thanks for the reviews Tink Shallot. Hoop wears boxers, what you got? :)

Looking forward to WWC tomorrow (I already have my post written)

 
At 05 November, 2007, Blogger Jen said...

This isn't my question, but, what are you heading back to school for? Did you already tell us & I'm matching my hair color again?

Again, this doesn't count as my question.

I'm just sayin'.

 
At 05 November, 2007, Blogger Jen said...

P.S. That was me who asked if you chopped off enough hair to donate? Again, this doesn't count as my question. Though, they are adding up aren't they?

 
At 05 November, 2007, Blogger Karen said...

I saw American Gangster and I really enjoyed it. And I loved Bee Movie. Yes, just realized that I am big dork.

 
At 05 November, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Congrats...I've been away doing the Grandma thing and haven't read many blogs...great news..

 
At 06 November, 2007, Blogger meno said...

MMmmmmm. I like boxer or briefs because they both have that fun little opening in the front.

Sorry, what were you talking baout?

 
At 06 November, 2007, Blogger Chelle Y. said...

I had four hours to myself at the mall this weekend, FOUR HOURS to choose any movie I wanted to, and I picked "Martian Child." It was sweet and any movie about adoption touches my heart, but I actually could have see "American Gangster." I am not a fan of those types of movies, but I like Denzel and Russell!

Maybe some other time. I'll have to find a date, so I can jump on someone's lap! Haha!

 
At 06 November, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

30 days of night is on my movies to watch list!Lol, 'The creature' gets 0 sporks!

My WWC is done!


Guess I should frequent this blog more often, nice getting to know this blog :)

 
At 06 November, 2007, Blogger Christy said...

Zero sporks. Haha. You crack me up. Wedding plans. Ugh! I'm getting married in 4 days and have such a headache. This was supposed to be fun. And it was until our parents got involved...

 
At 06 November, 2007, Blogger Tink said...

Avery: Welcome to my madness!

Susan: I'm very pleased. Thank you for asking. ;)

MamaT: Mmmm. Snot with a heartbeat. That sounds... lovely.

Fiwa: I try not to. The truth is, I'd much rather be doing this than work. But work PAYS me, ya know? Hehe.

REH: As long as you don't pay for it. Promise me that!

G-Man: I got panties. Duh. Tink Shallot. I like that! I think I'm dubbing that my new nickname.

Jen: I thought it was you that asked. But I didn't want to assume and then have someone bust out, "Oh no she didn't!" I'm heading back to school for graphic design. The hairdresser did NOT chop off enough hair to donate. I was pretty pissed. But then I found out they wouldn't take my hair anyway because it's highlighted!

Meno: You know what's really screwed up? Hoop doesn't even USE that neat little opening in the front!

Chelle: You should write a review on "Martian Child." I actually wanted to see that movie, but Hoop vetoed it. See, there are LOTS of cons on having a date to the movies. ;)

Christy: Omg, four days!! Congrats. Mind telling us how much it broke the bank? Hoop and I are trying to budget right now. I have no idea what I'm doing.

 
At 06 November, 2007, Blogger the planet of janet said...

we saw american gangster over the weekend. it was a pretty good flick. occasionally confusing but good. (of course the fact that i had a little nappy-poo in the middle somewhere didn't help. sleep deprivation sucks)

 
At 06 November, 2007, Blogger CRUSTY MOM-E said...

I'm looking forward to seeing AG..course with me and being the SAHM that I am,..it'll be when it's out on DVD..but that's good casue than I can pause it to go pee. :)

wedding planning..ahhhh..makes me happy for the route the Bigdogg and I took..married at sundown at the beach West coast of Florida near Tarpon Springs...just us, the surf in our bare feet, I bought the nicey nice wedding dress and our first meal as husband and wife? A shot of tequila as a steely band played Margaritaville..
Perfect!! And people still sent gifts! :)
HAHAH
Always,
Crusty~

 
At 06 November, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not in to those kind of horror movies. I probably won't see that one.

I want to check out AMerican Ganster, my favorite radio show kind of trashed it today. Ron from Ron and Fez said he thought they should have stayed on Frank Lucas and not bounced back and forth and that took away from it being a great movie.

 
At 06 November, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you cross a dolphin and shark and end up with legs and arms?!?!?

lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home