Thursday, February 14, 2008

Stuff

Hoop's leaving tonight for an all-dude camping trip in the Tennessee mountains. I'm sure I could have gone if I'd whined enough. But honestly, I didn't want to. Three days of camping in the freezing cold without the ability to take a shower? No thank you. But I made sure to pack Hoop some hand sanitizer and mouth wash. Mom told me to pick up some bug spray too. I didn't have the heart to tell her that there won't be any bugs in 27 degree weather. It was a nice thought though.

The concept of backpacking is kind of new to me. When I went camping as a kid, it was always with a cooler full of food. We never used air mattresses, but we always had a tent. The bait store was only two blocks around the lake and there were always a bunch of kids to play with. The last time I went camping was with my Dad, his girlfriend, and her daughter. We brought an RV. The girlfriend's daughter and I elected to sleep in a tent outside so we could smoke weed and listen to Eminem on the portable stereo. We woke up the next morning and went to an amusement park. Yeah, we were roughing it alright.

When I told my coworker where Hoop was going, she asked me if he had a compass. Only instead of pronouncing it "kuhm-puhs", she said "kohmp-ess". Which is like her telling me that her sister works at "Tinsel Light" and finding out today that it's spelled, "Tensolite". Which is beside the point. But I'm glad to realize that her sister does NOT work for a factory that makes unsafe tree decorations, which is what I've thought for the last six years. The point is, Floridians are stupid when it comes to weather. STUPID.

Do you know what Hoop packed besides the assumed underwear and socks? T-shirts. The boy doesn't own a single sweater. He justified it by saying that he was bringing both a hoodie AND a jacket. Like that was somehow going to cut it. I should have packed him some heat pads... Or a parka. So tonight and tomorrow look like they're going to be pretty quiet at the Tink-Hoop house. I'm going to hole up with a movie, a book, and two cuddly puppies. It'll be OK. I'll just keep reminding myself that Sunday will be here before I know it.

So...

Is it Sunday yet?

Posts Of PB Past
(Where I finally get around to addressing comments from previous posts)

Weekly Words Challenge 21!:
Farmer*swife requested to see my ring. For those who missed it, you can see pictures of my bling HERE.

La-Dee-Da:
Sparkling Red, thanks for the warning about ingesting the contents of compressed (canned) air. Rest assured, I did not actually cool my coffee with it. But I thought about it. I won't lie.

Time Wasters (Not So) Anonymous: Those who answered, figured out where the title of the newest
Twisted chapter came from. But did anyone figure WHY? You can see the answer here. I thought the deception in the story fitting for the meaning of the song.

Btw, Happy Totally-Overrated-Hallmark-Holiday-Where-People-Buy-Loads-Of-Pink-Crap Day! Hoop and I celebrated early with a romantic dinner last night. Just before the food arrived, the waitress dropped off a box of Dove Truffles and a dozen roses to our table. Oh yeah, my boy is gooood.

Labels:

26 Comments:

At 14 February, 2008, Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

Dove Truffles? oh dear. I hope you two ate them in bed.... much much later!

HVD.

 
At 14 February, 2008, Blogger furiousBall said...

I'm not sure why, but everyone has been wishing me a Happy VD, which I just learned does NOT stand for venereal disease. But if you think of it, if you're going to wish a venereal disease onto someone, might as well enjoy it.

 
At 14 February, 2008, Blogger Kimmykay said...

Oooo, camping. Did it all the time as a kid and won't elect to do so again unless my kids feel the absolute need to not go to the Holiday Inn and swim in water you can see through.

So, what book?

 
At 14 February, 2008, Blogger Jay said...

Would you believe that I have NEVER been camping? Seriously! I've never really wanted to either. It just doesn't sound like all that much fun.

Now, strapping on a backpack and wandering around Europe and sleeping at hostels? That sounds like lots and lots of fun. Same thing for Asia and South America too.

 
At 14 February, 2008, Blogger Jen said...

Oh, Tink. . . I'm thinking Hoop is going to freeze! I hope, in the very least, his clothes are waterproof. . . . You know, snow gets pretty wet even if it can be an insulator. Once you get wet your cold.

Not trying to scare you or anything, but be sure to tell him to have a credit card available in order to buy extra camping gear.

Then again, he may be in a camper or an RV and I should shut it.

So, I'm going to.

Happy Valentine's Day to you too! Sounds like yours was good. Really good! I love the little chocolate and flowers detail.

 
At 14 February, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know why you want to be hatin' Floridians. Some of us read your blog, you know......

 
At 14 February, 2008, Blogger Mouse said...

I'm in GA and its been rather chilly here at night (in the 20's + a rather nasty wind chill) and in the morning when I go to take my kid to the bus stop. I'm a transplanted Yankee.. and I've been wearing a coat, hat & gloves. Poor Hoop.. he's gonna be an ice cube.

 
At 14 February, 2008, Blogger Tawcan said...

Not sure what kind of camping Hoop is doing. If it's a social camp then sweaters and t-shirts would work. However, if it's "camping camping" (i.e. hike around, set up camp in the backcountry, etc), cottons kill. Get some synthetic clothing...

Recently I was camping in -15C (5F) in the backcountry and had an awesome time (you could read it on my blog).

 
At 14 February, 2008, Blogger Chris said...

Hey, at least you'll be able to have dried roses to remember him by, right? ;) For some reason I thought of you when I saw this...

 
At 14 February, 2008, Blogger R.E.H. said...

Have a Happy Valentine's... even if Hoop's gone camping. Hehe... T-Shirts ;)

 
At 14 February, 2008, Blogger Pamer said...

happy cupid day sweetie. have fun with the dogs and movies

 
At 14 February, 2008, Blogger Lynnea said...

When the boys away, its chick flick time in my house. With a glass of wine. Ok bottle of wine.

What book are you reading?

 
At 14 February, 2008, Blogger Christy said...

I'm going to be laughing about Tinsel Light for a long time to come. =o)

 
At 15 February, 2008, Blogger mrspao said...

Not a single sweater? pao's body temperature always seems to be set higher naturally too.

I am highly amused by Tinsel Lite.

 
At 15 February, 2008, Blogger the planet of janet said...

yeah, well, to me, camping means the ramada.

and tinsel light? lololol

 
At 15 February, 2008, Blogger Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

Beautiful ring! Thanks for "re-sharing" on my account.

Y'all are the "cutest" couple!!!

 
At 15 February, 2008, Blogger Doc said...

All DUDE camping trip... I misread it the first time and thought it said "all nude"

YIKES!

 
At 15 February, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What TN mountains? If it's anywhere near me, I'll be glad to thaw then out if need be. With Maker's Mark. You shoulda come.

 
At 15 February, 2008, Blogger g-man said...

Happy VD! :) All quiet in the Tink-Hoop estate, bet you wish you had a tent and some weed in the living room :)

That boy is gonna freeze (will be a lesson learned). He may have left with a hoodie and a jacket, but I bet he comes home with a parka and long underpants.

 
At 15 February, 2008, Blogger gary rith said...

yes, but did Hoop pack a cooler of beer and poker cards for camping? bourbon? that's the only way you could get me to camp. even though you love him, maybe you should hose him off before you let him back in the house

 
At 15 February, 2008, Blogger Tequila Mockingbird said...

when i moved up from fla to minnesota, i owned like two light leather coats, one that didnt even button or zip, two sweaters that i had because they were cute and a shit ton of flip flops. i had neeeever seen snow. it was quite an experience.

 
At 15 February, 2008, Blogger Chelle Y. said...

I slept in a tent for the first time this summer. It was fun, but it was only for one day. That is all I could last! :)

Sorry, I have been AWOL lately. Life is just too crazy for me right now. :)

 
At 15 February, 2008, Blogger Sparkling Red said...

Well, that's a relief! I was willing to buy the coffee story. I know someone who throws ice cubes into his soup to cool it down quickly. I bet if he got his hands on a can of compressed air, there'd be no stopping him.

 
At 16 February, 2008, Blogger Cary McNeal said...

Those sausage party camping trips are overrated. All we do is drink beer, piss outside and bitch about women. I'm usually ready to go home to my wife and kid after one night.

Maybe Hoop will come home early.

 
At 21 February, 2008, Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

be sure and check him for ticks in all hairy places...they like warm places and it's cold out...

 
At 22 February, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've got two cuddly puppies.They must be so adorable.

Do you cuddle with them a lot?That's what I would do,if were you.

Do you let them in your house?

If you do where do they sleep?

Do they wake you up in the morning?Pray,do tell.

And do you feed them hamburgers?

What is their favorite food?

If I had puppies they would be like my babies.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home