Thursday, December 29, 2005

Houston, we have a problem...

Daily Hoop Conversation:
(I woke up to this at 4am)
Hoop: *Mumble mumble*
Tink: What are you saying?
Hoop: Did you just ask me what other words you could use to replace "electricity" in a sentence?

Tink: Um... No.
Hoop: Oh. I must have been dreaming. *Mumble mumble*
Tink: I think you're still dreaming hon.

So you know what I was thinking the moment I woke up this morning? What are some words to replace "electricity" in a sentence? Damn it Hoop. If you're curious, here they are:

Power
Energy
Current
Voltage
Heat
Hot Stuff
Magneticism
Service
Spark
Tension

If you're wondering why I just listed off a whole bunch of pointless vocab, here's the real post:

Miscommunication:
I hate having serious conversations or arguments through emails or text. I ALWAYS get misinterpreted, especially if who I'm talking to is of the male species. Yes, I said "species." A horse and a zebra can mate. But that doesn't make them the same type of creature. I once emailed a friend of eight years, "Congratulations on getting a raise you lucky bastard!" Suddenly I'm implying that I'm jealous and that he didn't truly deserve the promotion. I remember staring back at his livid reply and thinking, was there some kind of subliminal messaging in there? Like perhaps he read it as:

"Congratulations on getting a raise you lucky bastard!"

The latest miscommunication happened between me and my dearest this morning. We were texting back and forth about something trivial and stupid. He asked a question that I knew the answer to. But I waited for his thoughts on it before divulging, because I was curious. When I explained my reasons for not giving him the answer immediately, he huffed out the two most horrid words ever, "Mind Game." Ok, ok. So maybe "Strict Diet" or "Colon Scrape" are the two most horrid words ever, but you get the friggin point. I was hurt.

I sat there, jaw clenched, and calmly text him back that I wanted "justification to [his] accusation of my character." Yes, I actually referred to it as that too. I'm such a thesaurus slut. He sent back some rambling text that I couldn't possibly understand due to the smoke coming out my ears and the red flush creeping into my eyes. It was then that I realized this... I'm arguing through text. What the hell is wrong with me?! Technology will be the death of my social life, I swear. So I picked up the phone and called him instead. It took all of five minutes for both Hoop and I to realize there had been miscommunications all around. Stupid stupid stupid.


Now I've gone and blown the fuse I was storing up for trash day. The day Hoop usually runs out of the house without tending to the cans. Is it Friday yet? :)

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At 29 December, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband and I are language nerds and do this all the time on purpose. It goes something like this:
He: "I heard some of those fertility treatments can make you incontinant."

Me: "What are you saying? I won't be able to take care of my kids?!"

Hahaha cough... probably only funny to us, but maybe you should try it. Intentional miscommunication is much funnier and that way when it happens accidentally, you could just pretend it was on purpose. Plus, it keeps you on your toes.

 
At 29 December, 2005, Blogger mamatulip said...

My hubs and I email on and off while he's at work and I'm here wiping butts and we finally had to come to an agreement that we would only email about fluff, gossip, how much gas we have, what the guy who sits beside hubs is wearing and the goings-on of our children. E-fights are ridiculous; we learned that the hard way.

 
At 29 December, 2005, Blogger Mary said...

I am taking this moment to tell you that current, voltage, power, watts and some other things you posted, ARE ALL DIFFERENT. I know no one else cares, but those are the damn things you apparently HAVE TO KNOW to be an x-ray tech. Not really, but whatever.

Um boys do always mistake what you say , and no only via text messaging. Half the time when you TELL them something, they mess it up.

 
At 29 December, 2005, Blogger Tink said...

TB: I'm taking a page from your book. More laughter and less aggravation is definitely a plus.

MT: That's what we decided on too. We'll leave the screaming and arguing for when you can actually SEE the veins popping off each others forehead hehe.

Mary: I care! So the answer, should I decide to ask Hoop while I'm not in his dreams, is NO. Huh. I learn something new every day. :)

 
At 29 December, 2005, Blogger Tink said...

Mamalujo1: LMAO!! *Wipes tears from eyes*

Oh shut up.

 
At 29 December, 2005, Blogger Rock said...

E-mail can be real damaging if misused and in the bidness world it can be a career killer. Those of us who come home and keep the laptop burning an eternal flame at nights can really get in trouble by responding half-cocked to someone's latest and greatest diatribe.

I often caution people - "put down the beer and step away from the keyboard, sir".

 
At 29 December, 2005, Blogger Brooke said...

Good to know there are other thesaurus sluts out there. And as usual, I'm in hysterics!

(No, not from something bad...not like REAL HYSTERIA; I'm not CRAZY or anything. I meant like, hysterics as in hysterical laughter...do you understand? OK, glad I clarified that.)

 
At 29 December, 2005, Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

I can never text fast enough, it is painful to watch me text message. So, I don't even bother with my hubby, it has to be for something really urgent, like snark with my BFF.

An e-fight, that's funny, now we can argue all day long.

 
At 29 December, 2005, Blogger Heather said...

That seems to happen to me all the time, only most of the time it is over e-mail and not text message. I will say something, and mean it one way, and the next thing I know my friend is upset with me because she took it another way. A way in which I had not even given any thought to her possibly taking it.

Most of the time, if it's important, I just pick up the phone and call her. It saves me the explination time!!

 
At 29 December, 2005, Blogger Mignon said...

My husband and I fight like this:
Me:
Him:
Me: !!!
Him:
Me: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Him:
I was reading your post imagining us e-fighting. I don't know the emoticons for passive aggressive and bottled frustration...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home