Thursday, February 23, 2006

Posting Flunky

Progress Report: $17.50 saved. 82 cigarettes not smoked. Thinking about not smoking has become an obsession for all three of us. It's life consuming and irritating. We're going to go cold turkey this weekend, no more half cigarettes on the days we let the cravings win. Mom is on the verge of giving up. The lack of concentration is effecting her work. Hoop is still smoking 5-7 cigarettes a day. He promises he'll quit this weekend. I feel like a house with unstable walls. If two fall I'm not sure the last one will be able to stand alone.

Five Minutes Of Random Thoughts:
Start. This soda is FLAT. Why does Dr. Pepper taste a little like Prunes? I can't get "Daughter" by Pearl Jam to stop repeating through my head. I'd love to be the person who comes up with names for all the new make up colors. Maybe they have a program that randomly generates them instead? How many names can you possibly substitute "Red" with? Blush, blood, rose, cherry, flame, magenta, ruby, scarlet, rust, flush. Yeah, I'm out. It's not even lunch time? I think they should let me drink at work. I'd be a lot happier and probably a lot more proficient. It's not like I'm going anywhere. Unless this cube suddenly sprouts wheels. I just want a window. A fucking window! I should draw one. Maybe then they'd get the message. Or commit me. Do they have cable in psychiatric wards? WHY am I still drinking this flat soda? Stop.

Random Question:
Q. What the hell is a Funnybone?
A. The Funnybone isn't a bone at all. It's a place where a nerve crosses the long bone near your elbow. That bone is called the Humerus. Hence the nickname.

Random Disorder I Wouldn't Mind Having: So it's not as cool as the "Spontaneous Orgasms" chick on GA last Sunday. But this one is pretty interesting nonetheless.

Synesthesia: A condition in which people have difficulty distinguishing between various sensory inputs. This can result in the ability to hear colors, taste shapes, smell words or any multitude of variations from the above. Some people even see letters, words, and numbers in specific colors. The word "apple" may be viewed as purple. The number "4" as burnt orange.

Different people with synesthesia will almost always disagree on their perceptions. One synesthete may see the letter "q" as being red while another will see it as being lime green.
Carol Crane actually feels music. She feels violins on her face and trumpets on the back of her neck. One adolescent boy would assume different poses according to different words. J. Wannerton thinks his house tastes of mashed potato and his town, like fruit gum. The world is a confusing place.

23 Comments:

At 23 February, 2006, Blogger mamatulip said...

I love the five minutes of random thought. Drinking at work, drawing a window, cable at the nuthouse...those are deep thoughts, dude. Deep thoughts.

 
At 23 February, 2006, Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

"Why does Dr. Pepper taste like prunes?" LOL. Because you don't have synesthesia. Then it would sound like a quacking duck or feel like a full-body massage.

Be strong on the cigarettes. Remember, you're winning.

What about an incentive program? Each time Hoop has a cigarette and you don't, you get some kind of prize...a new pair of shoes, or something? Maybe some soda that isn't flat?

 
At 23 February, 2006, Blogger EE said...

Yeah, I got a kick out of five minutes of random thoughts too. LMAO....funny stuff. And yes, they SHOULD let you drink at work. Good idea. ;)

That last condition....huh?! LMAO

 
At 23 February, 2006, Blogger Arabella said...

A few months ago, there was buzz that New York City smelled like maple syrup. As far as I know, nobody figured out why.

I LOVE flat soda.

 
At 23 February, 2006, Blogger Tink said...

Mama T: I'm so deep I'm subhuman.

Gradual Gardener: Full body massage? Oh man, I'd be drowning in Dr. Pepper if that were the case! Girl, if only I could AFFORD an incentive program lol.

EE: I work at a BEER Distributorship. I think they owe me that perk.

Arabella: Maple Syrup? Better than the sewer system. I wonder if everyone gained weight just smelling the air?

 
At 23 February, 2006, Blogger Andrew Fletcher said...

I think Synesthesia is really interesting. I think I first heard about it on NPR one day. Since hearing that story I've always wondered if "4" evokes the same sensory response as "four" or even "for"? Who knows, maybe it's all maple syrup.

 
At 23 February, 2006, Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

My sources tell me that prune juice is, in fact, the "secret ingredient" in Dr. Pepper. However, Snopes tells me I am mistaken. http://www.snopes.com/business/secret/drpepper.asp

Shit, I've been repeating that one for YEARS.

 
At 23 February, 2006, Blogger Heidi R. said...

i love your ramdom thought...i think dr.pepper has prune juice in it...that is what i always heard. I am not a fan of the Dr....ha ha! :)

 
At 23 February, 2006, Blogger Chris said...

Hee hee. Your 5 minutes of random thoughts seem a lot more coherent than mine would be. And hey - I have a window, but it puts so much glare on the screen that I never get to open the blinds... Sigh.

Hang in there! You can do it, Tink!!

 
At 23 February, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's hard kiddo, so hard. I am so proud of you- keep going!

(umm. when I say "hard" i mean not smoking. ahem.)

 
At 23 February, 2006, Blogger Odd Mix said...

Tink, Pleeeeease don't tell me I have to wait till you quit jonesing for nicotene before I get another fix for my "Doses of Tink" addiction. I've got the shakes and a headache already!

And I have synesthesia. I percieve bright lights at night as audible tones. If I see a police car light flashing red-red-red-blue-blue-blue-red-red-red-blue-blue-blue
then I will "hear" each color as a different high pitch tone. Just imagining the sight I can remember the sound. I also percieve intense color contrasts as differences in depth - e.g. bright red letters will float above a bright blue background. Sun through a random stained glass window will make me nuts. I have to close my eyes or get vertigo.

 
At 23 February, 2006, Blogger Mignon said...

Arabella, I remember hearing about that (was it from you)! I thought it turned out to be some kind of air pollution?

Tink, your withdrawls are freaking me out. And thanks a lot for that "Daughter" comment. Thanks a LOT!

 
At 23 February, 2006, Blogger Tink said...

FA: Welcome! I would imagine they'd see "4" "for" and "four" differently because each number and letter would have a different color.

Mrs. Harridan and Server Girl: *Hangs jaw* You mean there are other people who thought this too?! Phew. I'm not as strange as I thought I was.

Chris: See? That's why I love you. You make me feel better about being a day-glow-cube-mutant-who-rarely-sees-sunlight. That's a difficult task my friend.

Amanda B: MmmHmm. Don't say "hard" around here. It's Gutterhead Central.

Odd Mix: Aww. I promise I'll get working on it! I've been a little distracted lately. Give me til Monday.

You hear sounds when you see cop car lights too?! NO WAY! Oh my God, I have Synesthesia too.

Mignon: Why? Do you smoke?

Oh and... "Don't call me daugh-ter! Not fit to. The picture kept will remind me."

 
At 23 February, 2006, Blogger Peevish said...

I've experienced all of these symptoms! Granted, I'd partaken of certain substances at the time, but still!

 
At 23 February, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always wished I could have synesthesia. I think the number 4 would taste like grape jelly.

 
At 23 February, 2006, Blogger Chris said...

But what would grape jelly sound like then?

 
At 23 February, 2006, Blogger EE said...

You do?! When my dh worked for a distributor several years back they had an actual BEER ROOM, lol. It was "meant" to be used as an "after you get off your shift" place and they had taps and a fridge full of the beer they couldn't sell (damaged cans, expired by a day or whatever). But even the owner of the company was seen in there during the DAY. LOL

So, YES THEY SHOULD!

 
At 23 February, 2006, Blogger The Queen Mama said...

I'd always heard there was prune juice in Dr. Pepper, too. Hmmmm.

Hope Hoop will be able to ditch it cold this weekend. It's TOUGH to have willpower around a housemate who's doing the thing you're trying to give up doing.

Good luck!

 
At 24 February, 2006, Blogger Robyn said...

tink....oh please don't give up. Today I felt the effects of not smoking. And it meant that I could do an hour of INTENSE circuit training without coughing up shit, and dying. What a great reward. Come check out my hair, yo!

 
At 24 February, 2006, Blogger julie said...

Ever considered self hypnosis to help with the cravings? You can buy CDs on the internet. You could tell yourself (in a really relaxed state) that you really don't want to smoke, and that flat soda is great, and that you can drink at work! It could be a great tool!

 
At 24 February, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grape jelly would sound like someone sneezing, so every time you ate it, you would have to say "God Bless You".

 
At 24 February, 2006, Blogger Tink said...

*Snort* You guys are cracking me up! Now I'm off to make my Friday post, better late than never. :)

 
At 26 February, 2006, Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

They should let us drink at work. Really, I would be a lot more creative and sociable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home