Thursday, June 29, 2006

Arabella the Beautiful

On the way to work this morning I tried to think of one word that would describe Arabella.

It's hard to sum a person up that way. Have you ever tried?

There are many titles that would suit her, "Mysterious" or "Stylish" or "Feministic." But the one word that kept coming back to me was "Beautiful." I continued to throw the word out though, thinking it too unoriginal. And it kept popping back into my head like the lyrics to that damn Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper commercial. MANAMANA! Do do dodo. MANAMANA!

Yeah, now YOU'RE singing it aren't you?

I got to work and googled baby name sites. I must have looked on a dozen. They all translated Arabella to mean "Beautiful," be it Italian, Dutch, or Spanish. It wasn't one of those oh-my-god-it's-a-sign moments. But I did feel like calling out, "Alright, I get it already!" So I'm not the only one that thinks highly of you, Arabella. Evidently Karma thinks so too. And she's not always so kind. Like my name...

My name means, "Christ-bearer." Which hopefully doesn't translate to "Virgin," because I've already ruined those chances.

For those of you who don't know her, Arabella is one of those rare people who can pull off sophistication without making the average Joe/Jane feel like a puddle of mud. Her wit isn't "dry" like she claims, it's refined. She's compassionate and powerful and NEVER gives herself as much credit as she deserves. Have I mentioned I have no idea what she looks like?

Her beauty is palpable.

Despite distance and position, age and opinion, from the boundaries of my desk... I feel her beauty. And it makes me grateful that I share this space, this little spot on the infinity of the internet, with her.

Arabella Is...
1. A German
opera about finding someone to love in a dismal situation.
2. A
novel about a poor English girl who lies about being an heiress to win the affection of a very wealthy man.
3. A Middle Eastern lifestyles
magazine.
4. A type of
boat.
***********************************************************

Last night I spent five hours making mixed CDs. And before all of you who chose that as your prize say, "I didn't know it would be so much trouble!" SHUT UP.

And you're welcome.

I can't remember the last time I had so much fun by myself! Hoop wandered in around eleven and asked if I'd seen his girlfriend. "I think I lost her around here a few hours ago." And then at midnight he visited again to ask why the hell I had CDs strewn from one end of the room to the other. It DID look like my CD books had upchucked all over the floor. "But Babe, I had to know what I'm dealing with here. You know I'm a visual person!"

Daily Hoop Conversation:
Tink: I know what I'm getting you for your birthday in August.
Hoop: Oh? What's that?
Tink: I can't tell you!
Hoop: Well I know what I'm getting you for your birthday too.
Tink: But mine isn't until January.
Hoop: I know.
Tink: So... What is it?
Hoop: The Energizer Jack-Rabbit.
Tink: *Snort* Is that an upgrade?
Hoop: Only the best for my baby.

BTW: I'm getting him boots and a cowboy hat for his birthday in light of my parents new addition to the family. He tried a few on over the weekend and really liked them.

15 Comments:

At 29 June, 2006, Blogger Jay said...

Ok, you are officiallly invited to deliver the eulogy at my funeral. Hope you don't mind if it's a ways off though? LOL

 
At 29 June, 2006, Blogger Arabella said...

Tink, thank you SO, SO much. I had been having a really bad day, largely due to my imminent period, and this post completely turned my mood around. You are a wonderful friend!!!

 
At 29 June, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was very nice.

You should have Hoop try on some Ropers in addition to the more traditional cowboy boots. They lace up, usually have more foot support, and look more like regular shoes for every day wear. He might like them better.

And next thing you know, you will have to start listening to *whispers* Country music!

BTW: even though I asked for the post, I would love to know what tracks would have been on the CD. Maybe you could post a playlist.

 
At 29 June, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Arabella's blog is one of my favourites. I love Arabella, and I've never met her. Is that possible?

 
At 29 June, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

Jake always uses that line on me. Then it gets to be my birthday and he will ask me the day before, so what do you want for your birthday.

 
At 29 June, 2006, Blogger Tink said...

Jay: Albeit a nice compliment, that's just... morbid hon.

Arabella: You're welcome! It wasn't hard to write. You make an excellent muse.

OddMix: Country music? NEVER. LOL. Ok, ok... I have a confession. I listen to some on occasion. But usually when I'm blue, or really drunk.

I'll post the play list after I'm sure everyone has gotten their CD. I think you'll be surprised.

Chelle: It's OK girl. There will be a next time. And as a hint, there's a search feature on the blog if you get stumped. ;)

Mama T: I know! We should make this Arabella Day. I always wanted a holiday.

 
At 29 June, 2006, Blogger Tink said...

Heather: I hate being asked what I want. If they don't know me well enough to pick something thoughtful than I'd rather a plain gift like a card and flowers.

 
At 29 June, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm, maybe I should have asked for a post. Nah, my ego couldn't have handled it! I don't much like the kind of country music you hear on the big time stations. To me it's not much different than cheesy pop music. But give me some old Hank Williams, (Sr, or Jr.) or outlaw country music, or even some Alison Krauss or Lucinda Williams.
"There's a Tear in my Beer" is one of the greatest artistic acheivements of mankind.

 
At 29 June, 2006, Blogger Arabella said...

Tink, if you make this Arabella Day, then I will send you a handmade clutch purse, because that is just too, too sweet. Please e-mail me your mailing address and color preference (if you want to, of course!).

 
At 29 June, 2006, Blogger Jay said...

"...And as a hint, there's a search feature on the blog if you get stumped. ;)"

*looks up at the top of the blog*
Well. I'll. Be. Damned. Look at that. How is it that I've never noticed that? What. A. Moron. LOL

Oh well, it was more fun reading back through your blog.

 
At 29 June, 2006, Blogger Arabella said...

And, Mama Tulip, thank you very much. I am EXTREMELY flattered, because I think that your blog is amazing.

 
At 29 June, 2006, Blogger Tink said...

Mamalujo1: Well you can't back out now! I'm already collecting "goodies."

Arabella: YOU won a contest and you're going to send ME a gift?! See... This is why you deserve a holiday. Lol.

Jay: You are not a moron. Actually I didn't even know it was there until one of the contestants told me. I had fun searching through the blog for the questions too. :)

 
At 29 June, 2006, Blogger EE said...

Awww, that was sweet. :)

LOL at Hoop..the energizer jack rabbit huh?

 
At 29 June, 2006, Blogger Chris said...

Aw, that's a great post!! Heh, I USED the search engine and didn't get 'em all, so...

Heh, for some reason, I used to think that it would be less work making mix cds instead of tapes. It isn't - it's just different work...

 
At 30 June, 2006, Blogger Andrew Fletcher said...

Why stop at cowbow boots? Hoop needs some overalls and a Carhart jacket. Oh wait you're in Florida. Maybe just the overalls.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home