Friday, June 30, 2006

Odd Mix the Saint

"This man is a saint. I define a saint as a person who behaves decently in an indecent society." ~Kurt Vonnegut (Timequake)

Odd Mix is the type of Dad I always wanted. He's the older brother I never had. He's the husband little girls dream of, and the kind of man I hope my brothers grow up to be.

The love in which he posts about his wife and kids is profound. You can't help but love them too. Try not to. I dare you. Resist the cuteness of Annelise's
Snugglewuffie, the first post I remember reading on his blog. Try not to get emotional while Odd Mix describes Caleb's traumatic plane ride, or when lovely Gabriella thought her ears were ugly, and Bissy with her truthful words of wisdom. Don't forget Odd Mix's wife, the wonderful MDW. He gushes about her in his "101 Odd Facts" (#56-65). No one could ever doubt the love they share. They are the epitome of what a marriage should be, role models for my generation.

Are you wondering how a post about Odd Mix turns into a post about his whole family?

I couldn't describe one without the other.

And I don't think he'd want it any other way. If someone had told me about Odd Mix before I had the pleasure of meeting him, I'd have been scared. That's not the word you were expecting is it? Well I'm not here to please you anyway. I would have been scared to be judged unworthy, as is the harsh reality of this world. I'm not graceful. I cuss... A LOT. I tell stories that may not be deemed "appropriate" to the general public. You're all well aware of that, I'm sure. And yet, Odd Mix has never indicated that I'm anything other than his friend and that I'm worthy of such a title. He's gentle and hardworking, caring and unbias, loving and creative... and he wears his halo a little crooked.

Odd Mix is...
1. The description for Depeche Mode's
"The Meaning Of Love" album.
2. The array of
buildings in this San Francisco picture.
3. Face
art at Yale.
4. A REALLY difficult set of words to Google.

Courtesy of
Odd Mix:

The words for this weekend are

Celebration
Reunite


Don't be a wussy, join the fun!
***********************************************************

Today is Hoop's last day at the distributor where we work. He decided to take a month off before graduation to start looking for a more corporate type job. It's kind of sad for me, since this is where we met. It's sad for him because this is where all of his friends are. But we've got a lot of great changes ahead of us... Hopefully one of those is a move. Can you believe we still haven't had anyone look at the house? I'm going to start standing at the end of my road in a bikini with a sign.

On second thought, Hoop's out of a job. Maybe I'll have HIM do that. hehe

Have a great weekend!

18 Comments:

At 30 June, 2006, Blogger Andrew Fletcher said...

Oddmix should blush over such a wonderful tribute!!

Your house -- Hoop out front with visor, speedo, and cowbow boots? It'll sell in a second.

 
At 30 June, 2006, Blogger Mary said...

You did Oddmix justice I'd say, though reading his blog, he doesn't need the props, his coolness shines through :)

I hope you find a buyer soon, that's not that crazy high school chick. ;)

 
At 30 June, 2006, Blogger Tink said...

FA: "Hoop out front with visor, speedo, and cowbow boots? It'll sell in a second." Even if it doesn't, who cares? It would be so worth it! Lol.

Mary: I keep waiting for that chick to call again. I just hope some snappy remark pops into my head when she does. I should start practicing. ;)

 
At 30 June, 2006, Blogger Newt said...

I would try having the pups stand at the end of the road with a sign.
That would be adorable. And may cause less car wrecks then you or Hoop in almost nothings.

 
At 30 June, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not realy blushing, but I did get misty eyed when you described my family.

"Are you wondering how a post about Odd Mix turns into a post about his whole family?
I couldn't describe one without the other.
And I don't think he'd want it any other way."

You hit the nail on the head there, Tink. My relationships make me who I am. And it is fitting too, that everyone in my family knows about "Tink" and loves the fairy tales she tells.

Thank you for the wonderful words, and you have no reason to be scared. I do my poor best to model my life after that of my savior. He didn't hang out with the clergy - he ate with the fishermen and the tax collectors, the prostitutes and the cripples, the adulterers and, especially, the chidren. He didn't rail against them or revile them, but gently guided them onto a better path. I may not always agree with what you do or say, but that does not mean I am any less your friend.

Excuse me. I need to go straighten my halo - it is iritating my ear.

 
At 30 June, 2006, Blogger Jay said...

That's a great tribute to Odd Mix.

Maybe you should make up some great history about the house. It was once owned by somebody famous ... oh wait .. it *IS* owned by somebody famous!

 
At 30 June, 2006, Blogger Chris said...

Another lovely tribute post!!

Of course, you will get pictures if you get Hoop out there with a sign in something scanty, right?! Hee hee.

 
At 30 June, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great tribute -- Odd Mix is one of my favourite "dad blogs" to read.

LOL -- yes, make Hoop stand at the end of the driveway. An itty-bitty, teeny-weeny, yellow polka-dotted one would be good. ;)

 
At 30 June, 2006, Blogger Mike Y said...

tink: Great tribute! I agree with mamatulip. You should consider having hoop do that, but with the cowboy hat and boots.

And I'll start praying for you that you'll be able to sell your house and get a decent price.

Have a great weekend!

 
At 30 June, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My ear feels much better now.

I want to avoid any confusion at all by clarifying my earlier comment. I am not in any way saying that Tink is comparable to a prostitute or tax colector (which one is worse?). My point was simply that Christ associated with the outcasts of society, loving them despite their sins. That is what grace is all about.

Dang, it slipped again. Maybe I should put it on my cowboy hat like a hatband.

 
At 30 June, 2006, Blogger Tink said...

LOL! You know Odd Mix, I was wondering if I should say something. But I knew what you meant and how it WASNT supposed to sound...

I hope no one thinks I'm comparable to a prostitute. Otherwise I'm highly underpaid. ;)

 
At 30 June, 2006, Blogger Turtle said...

A toast to Oddmix, whom I haven't had the pleasure of getting to know. You sound like a great guy that I WOULD like to get to know.

Tink...The pups idea to attract customers is a much better idea! Pups are cute. I see billboards with kids all the time. Animals and children are always good sellers.

 
At 30 June, 2006, Blogger Tink said...

Newt: What a great idea! Now if I could only get Duff to stop jumping in other people's cars.

Jay: Hoop's famous? I knew that "Hoop's sexy photo shoot" search term was pointing me toward something!

Chris: Of course! Although I'm sure you'll see it on the news too... And the newspaper... And Leno.

Mama T: "itty-bitty, teeny-weeny, yellow polka-dotted one" Well he's not wearing MINE. :D

Mike: Thank you for your prayers!

Chelle: I don't think he'd mind at all! I always thought you would get along with him well.

 
At 30 June, 2006, Blogger Tink said...

Turtle: Maybe I can buy them puppy-shirts that have our advertisement on them!

I miss my little fur babies so much. They're still at Mom's house waiting for me to get them a new yard. :(

 
At 01 July, 2006, Blogger Rock said...

As with any young person, yet a young couple, you will find challenges everyday - and it looks like you are finding them every minute. But we all have - its the human experience - and it will make you and Hoop stronger. Be especially glad that you are doing it with someone you love. That's what makes the world go....

 
At 01 July, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tink, I've been lurking here for a while now, but feel the need to come out and tell you I completely agree with all you said about Oddmix. What a guy!

Now...are you going to post those pictures of Hoop in his "house selling" outfit????

 
At 03 July, 2006, Blogger Jay said...

Ah, putting the husband to good use, I see.

 
At 03 July, 2006, Blogger Eileen said...

Love these entries on bloggers... have found several 'new favorites' now (though you're still tops, toots!)

Thanks! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home