Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Geena the Devoted

Geena is a living canvas: always being stretched in different directions, constantly changing, an inspirational piece of art. She's a stay-at-home Mom with four adorable little youngsters, and a mountain of responsibilities. And yet... She still sets aside time for blogging.

Kind of makes you feel special, doesn't it?

A friend of mine once called me crying. It was her son's third birthday. "I don't know who I am anymore!" She wailed. I didn't understand at first. "I used to be this lovely, vivacious, ambitious woman. But I'm not anymore. I'm just, 'Mom.' I'm really not complaining. It's just that I woke up this morning and I realized... I don't know where that woman I once was went."

Being a mother means sacrificing:
"A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie." ~Tenneva Jordan

It's time consuming:
"A mother who is really a mother is never free." ~Honore De Balzac

It's rewarding:
"Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children." ~William Thackeray

But it shouldn't be the ONLY thing you're known for. As well as Geena's deep devotion for her children and as a fellow blogger, there are qualities that make her an individual that deserve to be noted and admired. Geena is sweetly
sentimental. She's a tad bit finicky about what she eats and the order of her house. She's a citizen of three countries, and one hell of a good story teller. And I never get the impression that she's "lost" sight of herself, which is amazing. When you get the chance you should go visit her blog. Tell her you think she rocks.

I certainly do.

Geena, thanks for being not only a wonderful mom BUT a wonderful woman too.

Geena Is...
1. A
clothing company.
2. The name of a yummy
drink.
3. A pizza
restaurant. You might want to start asking for that paycheck, girl.
4. A hot pair of
shoes.

***********************************************************
4th Of July Recap:
1. Nash's girlfriend left yesterday morning.
2. She told him, "Choose me now or take me home!"
3. So he asked her which bus line she preferred.
4. I keep expecting her to pop out of the bushes somewhere...
5. ...and ask me what Nash has been up to in the 24 hours she hasn't seen him.
6. In which case I'm going to throw my purse at her and run.
7. You laugh. But she's a big girl. I seriously think she could hug me to death.
8. Hoop, Nash, and I went to the beach to watch the shuttle launch yesterday.
9. I was so blinded by the sun I just pointed my camera up and started snapping.
10. And then my eyes started watering. I had mascara on, so they started burning and I couldn't stop crying until we got back to the car.
11. Along the way I heard a tourist comment, "Look how moved that girl is!"
12. I'm sure his kids thought he was stupid too.
13. Last night we all went down town to celebrate the holiday with the masses.
14. It's a huge production, with a barge and fireworks over the water.
15. One year the wind shifted and set the fireworks over the fort where everyone was sitting. It literally rained fire.
16. I got hit in the ass as we were all fleeing.
17. It bounced off without doing any damage.
18. There were no such mishaps this year.
19. I was kind of disappointed. I wanted to show off my "Buns-Of-Steel... er, Rubber."

Rockets Red Glare

Space Shuttle Discovery Launch

Bombs Bursting In Air


Our Own Woodstock






(Some random pictures)

Hoop's First Horse Ride


That. Poor. Dog.



Hoop Quote Of The Day
"She wasn't exactly the sharpest bulb."

Daily Hoop Conversation:
Hoop: Hey babe... *Nods toward the bedroom*
Tink: It's twelve o'clock at night, I have to be at work in six hours, and I'm tired. What makes you think I want THAT?
Hoop: You're wearing matching underwear!
Tink: And that's... logical?
Hoop: Duh.

16 Comments:

At 05 July, 2006, Blogger Newt said...

Soooo cool! Space shuttle launch! Great pictures. It looks like you had a lot of fun!

 
At 05 July, 2006, Blogger Mike Y said...

Great post and picks; and I'm still cracking up over the following:

1) Nash's girlfriend popping out of the bush
2) The stupid tourist comment
3) Fire bouncing off your *ss
4) Hoops first horsey ride
5) The dog caught in the tsunami
6) Oh, and Hoop's quote of the day

Big smiles, here, and my day is now complete.

 
At 05 July, 2006, Blogger Jay said...

"So he asked her which bus line she preferred."
That's beautiful. But, you know she'll be back.

I love those pics. I would go watch the shuttle take off too, if I got the chance.

 
At 05 July, 2006, Blogger geenalyn said...

awww shucks :) i need to start getting a paycheck from that pizza joint so i can buy that rocking pair of shoes

 
At 05 July, 2006, Blogger Jay said...

Oh yeah, aren't you leaving for vacation tomorrow? If so have a great time! We expect lots of great stories and pics when you get back.

 
At 05 July, 2006, Blogger Tink said...

Newt: I love being close enough to see it. Although it's much better at night. You can actually see things breaking off of it.

Mike: My work here is done! ;)

Jay: "But, you know she'll be back." *Covers ears* La la la. I can't hear you jinxing me...

I'm leaving on Friday, so you guys will get one more post outta me before I leave.

Geena: See? I'm full of good ideas. hehe

 
At 05 July, 2006, Blogger Chris said...

Another lovely tribute!

Your pictures are GREAT. Altho that "poor dog" picture scares the crap out of me!

 
At 05 July, 2006, Blogger Arabella said...

"Sharpest bulb." Ha!

The shuttle launch photos are beautiful!

Aaaah, matching underwear. I remember well my youth.

 
At 05 July, 2006, Blogger Emily said...

LOL @ the sharpest bulb!


(((((doggie)))))
Is that what happens when you go fishing using snausages as bait?

 
At 05 July, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geena's awesome. I can personally attest to that.

I'm so LOL at that woman who thought you were 'moved'. I'm also LOL at Hoop and his "sharpest bulb" comment. And the pic of his first horsie ride. :)

 
At 05 July, 2006, Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

Poor dog!! To have to look at that everyday!!

Is the girlfriend gone for good or just a while?

 
At 05 July, 2006, Blogger Andrew Fletcher said...

With a pose like that Hoop needs a rodeo cowboy name. All the old rodeo guys around here are named Crazy [insert initial here]. So Hoop would be Crazy H. ehhh...doesn't quite roll off the tongue that well. I'll see what else I can dig up.

That poor dog is right. Holy manatee!

Have a great vacation.

**Extraneous note -- I finally got an easy comment verification sequence. Hooray!!**

 
At 06 July, 2006, Blogger Heather Simpson-Bluhm said...

I think its cool that you saw the shuttle and that tourist guy was stoopid. That.Poor.Dog indeed!

 
At 06 July, 2006, Blogger Robyn said...

Matching underwear! HA! I don't think I even own any.

 
At 06 July, 2006, Blogger graymama said...

Witnessing the launch is something you will tell your children about someday. Cute little tinks and hoops :-)

I only wear matching underwear on special occasions.

Poor Tink and Hoop! No 4th bedroom fireworks for the both of you either.

 
At 07 July, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - that's space shuttle photo is amazing! We watched it on the news here but it must have been incredible to see it!

I agree - POOR dog!

PS Geena is really great!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home