Monday, July 03, 2006

Heather the Gentle

There are those who look at the world and want to change it.

And there are those who act in kindness, and change the world.

One of the most remarkable things about
Heather is her gentle heart. It's never forced or fake. Hers is always one of the first blogs I visit when I'm feeling a little less than optimistic. Her tender spirit is uplifting, contagious, and addictive.

(Considerably better for me than cigarettes, and unlike ice cream she's calorie free. Although the side effects may be deeper smile and laugh lines.)

Heather is the type of person that rescues other people's
horses from danger. She the mother of five cats and two dogs and a gummy bear that's on the way. That's right. She's expecting... and already addicted to her baby heart monitor. All I can think is, "What a lucky child this is!"

Do you know what Heather does for a living? She's a tax accountant. A NICE tax accountant.

If that isn't an anomaly, I don't know what is!

If there's anything I've learned in life, it's that kindness is the most universal language. It's can also be the most unnoticed and unappreciated quality. Because usually a kind person isn't worried about getting credit for their good deeds. That's why this post is so enjoyable to write. Heather is one of the most deserving people to receive this kind of attention.

So, thank you Heather. Thank you for keeping my faith in humanity. That's sometimes a hard thing for me to grasp. I DO work in an office full of beer guys. hehe

Thank you for being you.

Heather is...
1. A Scottish
shrub with purple flowers.
2. A grayish purple to purplish red
color.
3. A Celtic
singer.
4. A
movie about a man who marries a woman for her money and then falls in love with her.

***********************************************************

Contest courtesy of
Odd Mix:

Reunite:

Two brothers, their girlfriends, and Bob.

Celebration:

Bob asked not to have his face "plastered all over the internet." Pussy.

(Some random weekend pictures)

Angel Trumpets


Shadows On The House


I took a lot of really great pictures this weekend. They're mostly of Hoop's family and friends though, and I don't have their permission to post them here.

Weekend Recap:
1. I let Hoop go out drinking with his buddies on Friday to celebrate his departure from our company.
2. How many of you noticed the word "let" in that sentence?
3. Good! You have now been assimilated.
4. After he was done I picked him up to go to my parents' house for the night.
5. Driving with a drunk passenger is not a lot of fun.
6. Unless he's trying to navigate...
7. ... while doing the "pee-pee wiggle."
8. ... and trying to remember the name for "that stuff in turkey that makes you sleepy."
9. It's Tryptophan, if you're curious.
10. My parents have decided to move the corral up to the gate of the paddock so Hoop doesn't have to get in with the horses to feed them.
11. I call it his "Shark Cage."
12. He calls it "humiliating."
13. Saturday we met up with the real estate agent to look at more houses we can't afford.
14. During our drive she told us a cute story. It goes something like this:
15. "I don't cook. So last Thanksgiving my husband was REALLY looking forward to visiting his grandmother, who always cooks a feast for the holiday. He could talk of nothing else for two weeks. Imagine his disappointment when we got there and she proudly announced that she'd been cooking for two weeks, carefully freezing everything so she could just defrost or re-heat it on the big day..."
16. "... including the turkey."
17. I imagine a frozen and then re-heated turkey would taste pretty, well, tasteless.
18. Saturday night Hoop's family came in to town, including Nash's
Girlfriend.
19. You know how they shoot the wounded horse in Western flicks to put it out of its misery?
20. Neigh
21. No go, huh?
22. I swear this girl is going to provoke the She-Hulk out of me.
Nash's Girlfriend: I told Nash he's either got to move in with me when he gets out of the military or we need to break up right now.
Tink: Way to kill a vacation.
NG: You know what he said?
Tink: ...
NG: He said he wanted to break up!
Tink: *Mental fist pump*
NG: So I'm going to wait until we get back home and ask him again.
22. It gets better...
NG: I want to get married soon.
Tink: But you're only 20!
NG: Yes, but my biological clock is ticking.
23. Saturday night we all went out drinking, including Nash's 20 year old girlfriend.
23. I kept slipping her sips of my drink in hopes that she'd be better drunk.
24. She's not. But she's a lot easier to ignore when I am.

Daily Hoop Conversation:
Hoop: I didn't appreciate what that guy said about you.
Tink: Me neither babe.
Hoop: I should have beat his ass right then and there.
Tink: It's not worth it.
Hoop: Are you saying that because you think I'd lose?
Tink: No. Although his friend was pretty big.
Hoop: I could have taken him.
Tink: MmmHmm.
Hoop: You know what they called me in high school?
Tink: I'm afraid to ask...
Hoop: "Giant Killer."

Today's Spam Mail:
Copious Remember from Mabel Warren
Secondary School Resemblance from Jem Madden
Thirty Stillness from Dorothy Hampton

Daily Hoop Conversation 2:
(While watching "Superman.")
Hoop: That scene was so gay.
Tink: I thought it was good.
Hoop: It was good AND gay.
Tink: Are you implying that's how you like it?
Hoop: ...

Because of the holiday, and my inability to get this post out any quicker today,
Geena's prize post will appear on Wednesday and not Tuesday.

Have a GREAT 4th Of July everyone!

19 Comments:

At 03 July, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the Angel Trumpets. They are beautiful; I don't think I've ever seen them before.

Nash's girlfriend sounds like a trip. Oy vey.

 
At 03 July, 2006, Blogger Mike Y said...

I echo Chelle's sentiment. I'm really enjoying this blog.

kept slipping her sips of my drink in hopes that she'd be better drunk. She's not. But she's a lot easier to ignore when I am.

That cracks me up!

Glad to hear you and "Giant Killer" enjoyed the movie. We saw it too. Overall, I liked it; but some things just didn't seem to fit. Why does a spec of Krypto neuter him, but stalactite krypto gives him determination?

Was this the scene Hoop was talking about? If so, I'm with him.

 
At 03 July, 2006, Blogger Tink said...

Mama T: Odd that something so beautiful could be poisonous huh?

"Nash's girlfriend sounds like a trip. Oy vey." I've got four more days of her too. Wish me luck. Well, maybe you should wish HER luck instead.

Chelle: We'd love to have you!

Mike: LOL. That is exactly the scene he said it during! We liked the effects well enough, but we think they made Superman a little too um, meterosexual. :)

 
At 03 July, 2006, Blogger Mike Y said...

Good luck over the next four days! Definitely be yourself, but avoid the catfight.

but we think they made Superman a little too um, meterosexual

Ahhh, come on! Why does everyone pick on metrosexuals? They just made him seem like a wuss, not necessarily sensitive and fashionable. [Getting a little defensive here ;-)]

 
At 03 July, 2006, Blogger Tink said...

Chelle: Superman is cool! Just not THAT one. LOL.

 
At 03 July, 2006, Blogger Jay said...

Nash has got it made. His girlfriend gives him two options. He takes the "break up" option. She doesn't leave and decided she will wait and give him the same two options again later.

Nash is pretty much in control of this relationship now.

the "pee-pee wiggle" That's funny!

 
At 03 July, 2006, Blogger Jay said...

Oh yeah, and I love the pics. All of them are great.

 
At 03 July, 2006, Blogger Eileen said...

Love the photos, laughed hysterically at the girlfriend (although to be fair I remember hearing my clock ticking very loudly around my 25th birthday... my mom had two daughters and a degree by that age, while at the time I was still trying to figure out what the heck to do with myself - something I'm still trying to figure out at 46).

My mom was a business tax auditor, and is so sweet that most people/victims actually *thanked* her after their audit, even when handing her a substantial check.

My mom thought of herself as being a sort of Taxpayer's Avenger: for businesses that really were struggling to meet the demands of a complex tax code, she helped them find ways to save money... for those who were trying to cheat, she dug out their perfidies and exposed them to the light of day (and the State Auditor). She should have had a cape.

For Halloween one year our kid dressed up in a dark trenchcoat, a fedora, and collected his candy in a briefcase that said "IRS" on the side, and on the inside said 'How's That for Scary?'

(your blogger fairy loves me... "xarbeey", how cute is that?)

 
At 03 July, 2006, Blogger sc@vp said...

ummm ... ummmm ... ummmm ...
Angel Trumpets?
Now I have to HAVE THEM. I darn-well better live in the right zone to grow them.

 
At 03 July, 2006, Blogger Andrew Fletcher said...

1. I let Hoop go out drinking with his buddies on Friday to celebrate his departure from our company.
2. How many of you noticed the word "let" in that sentence?


I thought that's the way things always worked. Your significant other "let" you do things...or maybe I'm like Bob...a pussy. (No disrespect meant Bob, if you read this)

Oh yeah, love the photos. The shadows on the house is my favorite.

 
At 03 July, 2006, Blogger F&W said...

There's nothing I can say that hasn't already been said...except...that your blog is the one I count on to get me to laugh out loud. You accomplished it again. Well done.

And I'm am loving your pics! The shadows on the house is gorgeous!!

 
At 04 July, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the pictures, but I am missing something... Who the freak is Bob?!!

And this whole having two Chelles around who both think they are "the other Chelle" is getting confusing. We need to get better identification here, people.

 
At 04 July, 2006, Blogger sassybead said...

Oooh Tink - the angel trumpets are lovely! I've seen them growing here in Seattle, but never with so many blooms on the vine! Lovely...just lovely...as is the shadows picture.

You are saying such nice things about your contest winners, it makes me wish I had entered even though I haven't been around long enough to know all those answers.

As for Nash's girlfriend? I think she'll be lucky if you don't take her for a long walk on a short pier before her visit is over!

 
At 05 July, 2006, Blogger Chris said...

Great photos, Tink! And another lovely tribute. :)

 
At 05 July, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shadows on the House has such an edgy vibe. Very moody. Love it.

 
At 05 July, 2006, Blogger Tink said...

Jay: That's exactly the way Hoop was trying to make him see it, instead of the "victim" mentality he was adopting. There should be a 101 class for guys on this stuff. ;)

Alien: If I had to assemble a hit-mob, you'd be my V.P. Alien. hehe

Me: "My mom was a business tax auditor, and is so sweet that most people/victims actually *thanked* her after their audit"

Your Mom is totally deserving of a cape!

S@BD: Evidently they come in all types of colors too. These are just gorgeous though.

FA and V-Grrrl: The shadows were cast by this huge spot light our neighbor has directed at our house. I think he's trying to catch us naked. *cough*Voyeur*cough* Every time I tried to take this picture he turned off the light. But I was determined to catch it.

The white line on the right is the door frame, which kind of puts it in perspective.

Chelle, Chris and Sassybead: *Blush* Thank you!

Odd Mix: LOL. I was waiting for someone to ask. Bob is Nash's long lost best friend. We reunited them this weekend... And then Bob disappeared again. Probably for another four years.

 
At 05 July, 2006, Blogger EE said...

Ooooo, LOVE those pics! Awesome.

LMAO at Nash's gf...OMG...how you can spend time w/ her and not just bitch slap her....hey, at least it gives you good stories to blog about so we can all make fun of her. LOL!

 
At 05 July, 2006, Blogger Newt said...

"There are those who look at the world and want to change it.

And there are those who act in kindness, and change the world."

That's awesome! I love to write down little sayings. That one is a keeper!

You amaze and inspire me everyday.

 
At 12 July, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

Thank you so much for all the kind words!! You made an increadibly awful weekend much better!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home