Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Gush

The gift of life is probably the only thing anyone's ever given me that could top THIS bad boy. Hoop bought it for me last night. He spent all day researching and pricing the models before deciding on an upgrade of the one I'd been pining after. I didn't know how to react when he told me. I'm not used to anyone giving me such a wonderful and thoughtful gift.

I'm not the kind of girl who cries over jewelry. I don't buy expensive clothes or require fancy dinners. Yet every guy I've ever been with has just assumed I fit into that box, never taking the time to find out what really makes me happy. Hoop said something so insightful last night as I balked at the price of my gift, "I know you. This camera is important to you. You're looking forward to the pictures you'll take on our vacation almost as much as the actual trip. We're getting you this camera!"

The first place we went to wasn't selling the camera at the discounted price, as they'd advertised on their website. But Hoop was not to be deterred. We began our camera hunt at 5:30 and didn't stop looking until 8:45. After three hours of searching every store in a ten mile radius, Hoop and I entered Circuit City with little to no hope. And maybe we would have left disappointed, had it not been for the two greatest sales people I've ever met.

Hoop: What can you tell us about these cameras?
Sales Guy Doug: They're crap. *Tosses camera over his shoulder*
Tink: What about those?
Sales Guy Doug: If you buy one of those, I'm going to laugh at you.
Sales Guy Alex: You might as well just hand us the money right now.
Tink: What about that one?
Sales Guy Doug: My Ex loved that one!
Hoop: Oh?
Sales Guy Alex: And she was an idiot.
Hoop: We had our eye set on that one.
Sales Guy Alex: That one's screen cracks really easily. You accidentally leave it in the car for an hour and it's done.
Tink: Oh no. Really?
Sales Guy Doug: Unless you wrap it in something.
Sales Guy Alex: And as long as that something isn't black. Black is bad... No offense Doug.
Sales Guy Doug: None taken Alex. This one over here is pretty similar to the one you like.
Tink: I don't feel comfortable buying anything until I've researched it.
Sales Guy Doug: You're going to trust the opinion of someone online, who you've never met and have no idea is legit?
Tink: Uh...
Sales Guy Alex: Most of those comments are made by the retailer or manufacturer anyway. They're not going to tell you the truth.
Sales Guy Doug: In fact, you shouldn't even trust OUR opinion.
Sales Guy Alex: But we don't make commission. So we don't really care what the hell you buy. *Throws another camera*
Hoop: Then I think we're going to get...this one?
Sales Guy Doug: *Nods head* Good choice!
...
Hoop: Well I know one thing's for sure.
Tink: What's that?
Hoop: I'm never getting a floor-model ANYTHING ever again. *Steps over cameras on the floor*

By the time we left we got a $50 discount on the camera, a free memory card, free promotional posters for X-Men 3, two free CDs and a case of, "Did that really just happen?!"

DOT:
Twisted Tink is back! So make sure you stop by and check out why she's just "Hanging Around."

20 Comments:

At 19 July, 2006, Blogger Mike Y said...

Tink: I'm really happy for you. With all the photos I've noticed you post, I figured you must have been really bummed out about the camer. And we've been really happy with the Powershot line. Though Chelle seems to have confiscated my new camera.

I have one of those giant SLRs (Cannon EOS 10D) with a 28mm to 300mm lens. The lens alone must weigh 10lbs. So, I picked up one of these http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1224 so I can carry it on my Mt. Bike rides and capture nature at its best. I haven't gotten it back from her 'cause it's so nice and tiny.

Anyway, I am happy for you. And I've love to see what those sales guys do with wine glasses.

 
At 19 July, 2006, Blogger Jay said...

Wow, there are two cool sales people in all of America and they happen to work at th circuit city near you. How lucky is that?

I have camera envy now.

 
At 19 July, 2006, Blogger Newt said...

LOL - your life at times is almost surreal. And always very entertaining.

 
At 19 July, 2006, Blogger mrspao said...

I don't know why but I thought of Beavis and Butthead just then....

 
At 19 July, 2006, Blogger Chris said...

Is your life really this surreal, or do you just have a great take on life?? Damn.

Congrats on your new camera! Everyone I know who has a Canon loves it - except for one model that has a screen that cracks easily... Those guys knew their stuff.

Looking forward to pictures!

 
At 19 July, 2006, Blogger F&W said...

As the proud owner of a new camera myself, may I congratulate you on investing in yourself and your creativity!
I balked at the price of my gift, "I know you. This camera is important to you. You're looking forward to the pictures you'll take on our vacation almost as much as the actual trip. We're getting you this camera!" Right on, Hoop!! This is exactly something my darling husband would say.

Looking forward to your WWC contributions. :o)

As for naming it...wait for it to tell you it's name. That's what I always do. And it will tell you if you listen hard enough. ;o)

 
At 19 July, 2006, Blogger Tink said...

Mike Y: I love the SLRs. I just needed something that could fit in my purse. I have a Canon Rebel too, AKA Old School. The sales guys actually laughed when I mentioned it.

Jay: I wanted to clone them and distribute them to all the other stores.

Newt: I once had a friend who said, "Chaos follows you everywhere." It never kept her from hanging out though. ;)

MrsPao: LOL. They were like B&B! Only way cooler.

Chris: Possibly both. I think every day has the potential of being an adventure. I am literally giddy with the prospect of taking pictures tonight.

Chelle P: Are you saying your camera talks to you Chelle? ;)

 
At 19 July, 2006, Blogger EE said...

I am seriously LOL at the camera salesman..OMG...lol, no shit about not buying 'floormodels' from them. Snort!

I'm SUPER glad you got a new one. :)

 
At 19 July, 2006, Blogger Arabella said...

Yay for the new camera!!!

I know exactly what you mean about men who just automatically buy you jewelry, without taking the time to learn anything about you. When Ty gave me an Oxford English Dictionary instead of some stupid earrings, I had an inkling that he was The One.

You and Hoop are adorable!

 
At 19 July, 2006, Blogger Mike Y said...

Thief!!! Well, I'm keeping the dog!

 
At 19 July, 2006, Blogger LJ said...

graymama sent me over to say hello, so i'm waving hello!!
i'm terribly sorry your vacation didn't go as well as planned. but do any of them go as well when it's family??
Big hugs and good luck vibes for the next trip. it wont be so bad it's not your family this time.

 
At 19 July, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have friends with that camera. They are not nearly as talented as you with the picture taking and their pictures are awesome. Cannot wait to see what you can do!

PS You're not going to let Hoop hang those X-men posters up in the house are you?

 
At 19 July, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A new camera! Holy shit...I'm happy for you, and very jealous. I really want a new digital camera. Post lots of pics so I can enjoy it vicariously through you.

 
At 20 July, 2006, Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

Circuit City sales guys are NEVER like that with me. How hilarious! Congrats on the camera!!

 
At 20 July, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Maybe Hoop isn't a lost cause after all. ;)

Congratulations on the camera (when I clicked on the link I half expected to see a ring). I cannot wait to see your photos. I love Canons. In fact I was considering that very model yesterday.

I like circuit city, but I always buy at costco. They have a pretty much unconditional money back policy. My father is really funny with Costco. He has purchased, used for a while, and returned about six cameras at costco in the last year. He now has a new one and hasn't paid a cent since he bought the first one. It is like a free upgrade program.

 
At 20 July, 2006, Blogger Andrew Fletcher said...

Congratulations on the new camera!! Even more impressive than the new camera is that you found someone at Circuit City to actually help you. You're on a roll!!

 
At 20 July, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

I will have to remember to try shopping there!! Sounds like you had a pretty good experience!! Hope the camera is everything you want it to be!!

 
At 20 July, 2006, Blogger graymama said...

Hooray for the new camera!

 
At 20 July, 2006, Blogger Foo said...

"I know you. This camera is important to you. You're looking forward to the pictures you'll take on our vacation almost as much as the actual trip. We're getting you this camera!"

Almost exactly the same thing I told Turtle when I gave her a camera that cost more than she thought I should have spent. Use it in good health!

 
At 21 July, 2006, Blogger Heather Simpson-Bluhm said...

Woohoo, a new camera! Yay Hoop.. good boy! I am amazed at the comedy show experiece you had at Circuit City.. yay on the goodies you got tossed in too. Now hurry and go take some pix!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home