Thar She Blows
First Blogger was down, now there's a storm raging through that's making our internet connection very temperamental. So without further delay (hopefully) here's the
1. Hoop called me at work on Friday and asked what needed to be cleaned around the house for the showing on Saturday.
2. So of course I knew something was up.
3. I was greeted at the door with, "Pack some clothes, we're going to Savannah!"
4. When asked what the special occasion was Hoop replied, "You don't think I'd buy you that nice camera and not take you somewhere beautiful to snap pictures do you?"
5. Everything went smoothly until we entered Savannah and couldn't find a single vacant hotel room.
Hoop: We could sleep in the car.
Tink: *Sigh* OK.
Hoop: And tomorrow we'll walk around down town and then go home.
Tink: Uh-uh buddy. I'm not sleeping in a car and then walking around anywhere tomorrow. We party tonight and then go home first thing in the morning.
6. Naturally Hoop wasn't happy with that answer since it defeated the whole purpose of the trip. So we continued searching...
7. ... and ended up at the "Alamo Plaza."
8. Otherwise known as "HELL."
Taken the next morning
9. I knew the place was bad news as soon as we pulled up.
10. The sign on the window read, "Night rentals ONLY!"
11. "Prostitution problems, greeeat."
12. But I felt bad that Hoop's surprise vacation was falling flat. So I agreed to renting out one of their $49 rooms.
13. As we pulled around the side, people began to emerge from their rooms like zombies. Most were obviously drunk or stoned, and some just leered at us newcomers. "These people LIVE here," I thought.
14. The bed was broken and had roaches crawling all over it. The carpet was practically nonexistent. There were no towels or soap. There was drug residue on the window sill and it smelled like piss.
15. The first thing out of my mouth was, "I will NOT screw you on that bed."
16. That was all the humor I could muster though before covering my mouth and staring at the room in mute shock.
17. Hoop left to go to the car as I watched nervously out the window. Before he'd even reached it, four residents had met up with him. And then he walked out of view with them trailing behind.
18. I can't even describe the awful thoughts that ran through my mind. "They're killing him," was the main one. So I counted to 10 and left the room to find him.
19. I tracked him down at the front desk where he could be heard yelling that he wanted his money back.
Hoop: This place is repulsive! I don't feel safe bringing my girlfriend here. You're going to refund my money right now.
Desk Man: Did you mess up the bed?
Hoop: Are you kidding?! If the roaches are any indication, we're pretty sure the sheets have never been cleaned. This place is only fit for druggies and bums.
20. I'm not sure what happened after that. All I know is that I started crying. I was so relieved Hoop was OK and that we weren't going to stay there any longer.
21. Once we got our money back we found a nice CLEAN hotel somewhere further down the road. I was all too happy to oblige when Hoop said, "Let's go drinking babe."
22. And drink we did.
23. My favorite part of Savannah's night life is that there are no open container laws. You can grab a custom mixed Daiquiri at Wet Willie's and then saunter past the cops on your way out to the street.
24. The next day we ran around town taking pictures and getting horribly lost. It was one of the best day trips I've ever been on. I guess that proves there's nothing like a scary experience to make you appreciate the little things in life.
25. Not to mention "life" in general.
26. Sunday we went to a spring with eleven of our friends.
27. But not before I had a panic attack trying to find a pair of shorts and slammed my own arm in a dresser drawer.
28. You read that correctly... MY OWN ARM.
29. Hoop says I'm not allowed to get mad anymore because I only hurt myself in the process.
30. We had an amazing time at the spring. It doesn't get much better than floating down a river with a cooler full of beer and a hodgepodge of friends.
31. We didn't even care when it started raining.
32. Or when one of us would tip a raft and drag six other rafts with us.
33. We DID care when the beer floated away though.
34. But we were all pretty toasted by then anyway.
Contest courtesy of Odd Mix:
An unexpected trip.
Hoop wouldn't let me get a good picture of him, so I had to settle on a picture HE took.
(Some random weekend pictures)
Wall Of Gravestones
The Walk Home
Can you imagine having to cross that every day? Yikes.
Cool Drain Pipe
BTW: Friday, Pickled Beef reached the 10,000 mark on its stat counter! Thank you all for your continued support and friendship.