Monday, July 24, 2006

Thar She Blows

First Blogger was down, now there's a storm raging through that's making our internet connection very temperamental. So without further delay (hopefully) here's the

Weekend Recap:
1. Hoop called me at work on Friday and asked what needed to be cleaned around the house for the showing on Saturday.
2. So of course I knew something was up.
3. I was greeted at the door with, "Pack some clothes, we're going to Savannah!"
4. When asked what the special occasion was Hoop replied, "You don't think I'd buy you that nice camera and not take you somewhere beautiful to snap pictures do you?"
5. Everything went smoothly until we entered Savannah and couldn't find a single vacant hotel room.

Hoop: We could sleep in the car.
Tink: *Sigh* OK.
Hoop: And tomorrow we'll walk around down town and then go home.
Tink: Uh-uh buddy. I'm not sleeping in a car and then walking around anywhere tomorrow. We party tonight and then go home first thing in the morning.

6. Naturally Hoop wasn't happy with that answer since it defeated the whole purpose of the trip. So we continued searching...
7. ... and ended up at the "Alamo Plaza."
8. Otherwise known as "HELL."


Taken the next morning

9. I knew the place was bad news as soon as we pulled up.
10. The sign on the window read, "Night rentals ONLY!"
11. "Prostitution problems, greeeat."
12. But I felt bad that Hoop's surprise vacation was falling flat. So I agreed to renting out one of their $49 rooms.
13. As we pulled around the side, people began to emerge from their rooms like zombies. Most were obviously drunk or stoned, and some just leered at us newcomers. "These people LIVE here," I thought.
14. The bed was broken and had roaches crawling all over it. The carpet was practically nonexistent. There were no towels or soap. There was drug residue on the window sill and it smelled like piss.
15. The first thing out of my mouth was, "I will NOT screw you on that bed."
16. That was all the humor I could muster though before covering my mouth and staring at the room in mute shock.
17. Hoop left to go to the car as I watched nervously out the window. Before he'd even reached it, four residents had met up with him. And then he walked out of view with them trailing behind.
18. I can't even describe the awful thoughts that ran through my mind. "They're killing him," was the main one. So I counted to 10 and left the room to find him.
19. I tracked him down at the front desk where he could be heard yelling that he wanted his money back.

Hoop: This place is repulsive! I don't feel safe bringing my girlfriend here. You're going to refund my money right now.
Desk Man: Did you mess up the bed?
Hoop: Are you kidding?! If the roaches are any indication, we're pretty sure the sheets have never been cleaned. This place is only fit for druggies and bums.

20. I'm not sure what happened after that. All I know is that I started crying. I was so relieved Hoop was OK and that we weren't going to stay there any longer.
21. Once we got our money back we found a nice CLEAN hotel somewhere further down the road. I was all too happy to oblige when Hoop said, "Let's go drinking babe."
22. And drink we did.
23. My favorite part of Savannah's night life is that there are no open container laws. You can grab a custom mixed Daiquiri at
Wet Willie's and then saunter past the cops on your way out to the street.
24. The next day we ran around town taking pictures and getting horribly lost. It was one of the best day trips I've ever been on. I guess that proves there's nothing like a scary experience to make you appreciate the little things in life.
25. Not to mention "life" in general.
26. Sunday we went to a spring with eleven of our friends.
27. But not before I had a panic attack trying to find a pair of shorts and slammed my own arm in a dresser drawer.
28. You read that correctly... MY OWN ARM.
29. Hoop says I'm not allowed to get mad anymore because I only hurt myself in the process.
30. We had an amazing time at the spring. It doesn't get much better than floating down a river with a cooler full of beer and a hodgepodge of friends.
31. We didn't even care when it started raining.
32. Or when one of us would tip a raft and drag six other rafts with us.
33. We DID care when the beer floated away though.
34. But we were all pretty toasted by then anyway.


Contest courtesy of
Odd Mix:

Gift

An unexpected trip.

Giver

Hoop wouldn't let me get a good picture of him, so I had to settle on a picture HE took.

(Some random weekend pictures)

Wall Of Gravestones


Stone Sentinel


The Walk Home

Can you imagine having to cross that every day? Yikes.

Cool Drain Pipe


BTW: Friday, Pickled Beef reached the 10,000 mark on its stat counter! Thank you all for your continued support and friendship.

25 Comments:

At 24 July, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun. Except for the motel room, of course. And congratulations on the stat meter. Be good!

 
At 24 July, 2006, Blogger Newt said...

Wow, uh, cockroaches in the bed? Is that their idea of bed and breakfast? Just curious.

 
At 24 July, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hee! Should've taken picture of the bedroom. I stayed in a place like that once...The Villa Hotel in San Antonio. A Rice Krispies box was taped over the bullet hole in the window and the words "VILLA HOTEL - DO NOT STEEL"(?) were scrawled with a sharpie over every pillow, sheet and lampshade.

 
At 24 July, 2006, Blogger Jay said...

I bet we all have hotel horror stories. I stayed in one in Little Rock once that was so scary I actually contenplated running to Wal-Mart to buy a gun. It was a connecting room and there was A LOT of traffic going in and out of the next room. I ended up barricading the connecting and front door with the chairs and the dresser.

Glad your trip turned out well though.

 
At 24 July, 2006, Blogger Peevish said...

I'm glad you're both okay, that must have been horrible!

Oooh, I wanna float down a river with beer!

 
At 24 July, 2006, Blogger Mike Y said...

Tink,

I am so glad you got out of there when you did. BTW, did the bed accept quarters???

I am so glad you guys found a place to stay and had a great time. I'm happy for Hoop too! Nothing worse than feeling like you've done a good thing only to have it fall apart. I hope you didn't make the same comment to him about the bed in the other hotel.

And I can't believe no one rescued the beer.

 
At 24 July, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my god, the hotel room...drug residue on the windowsill? Roaches?! *shudder* You poor thing. No wonder you went drinking.

 
At 24 July, 2006, Blogger Chris said...

Eeek!! No picture of the first room??? ;)

I am SO glad that things turned around from there and I'm looking forward to your pictures!

Congrats on 10,000 visitors, too!!

 
At 24 July, 2006, Blogger graymama said...

Sounds like an interesting trip! I am so glad that Hoop is a sweetheart and a stand up kind of guy that would not expect you to stay in such a place :-)

BLOGGER SUCKS!

 
At 24 July, 2006, Blogger EE said...

Ewww, that place sounded awful! I was freaking out thinking you were going to STAY there! Thank god you left and found someplace better!

That was so sweet of Hoop though to want to do that for you...

 
At 24 July, 2006, Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

Awesome weekend!! Sounds like Hoop got a little something too!

 
At 24 July, 2006, Blogger F&W said...

The hotel from hell, no doubt about it. *blech* Glad you and Hoop got out alive.

10,0000! w00t!

You may have an easier time with pics if you use a service like Flickr or Photobucket. That way, you upload to their site, copy the HTML and paste into Blogger. No waiting and coaxing Blogger to upload your pics. Just a thought...

 
At 25 July, 2006, Blogger Tink said...

Newt: LOL! Ewwwww.

Jenny + Chris: I thought about pulling out my camera, but I didn't want to get ROBBED for it. Hoop and I got a picture of the outside the next morning. It looked a lot less creepy then it did at 10:30 the night before.

Jay: Hoop's convinced we're not leaving home with out his gun again. And word to the wise, if you have to barricade the door you should probably leave. ;)

Mike Y: The water was 54 degrees. And I wasn't even going to attempt to swim after them drunk.

Chelle Y: I've been in some seedy hotels before due to traveling on a budget. But this one was by far the grimmest.

Chelle P: I have a flickr account. But unfortunately I maxed out my limit. Maybe I'll get myself an upgrade and avoid this hassle.

 
At 25 July, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tink, I can see the pictures now and they're awesome. I love the wall of gravestones...that is just amazing. I find gravestones to be absolutely fascinating. And that drain pipe is pretty cool. ;)

 
At 25 July, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The photos are fantastic!

Are people burried in the wall? Behind it? Under it?

 
At 25 July, 2006, Blogger Tink said...

Mama T: Thank you :). Graveyards always draw me in for some reason. Hoop and my first kiss was even in one!

Odd Mix: "Are people burried in the wall? Behind it? Under it?" We were trying to figure that out too. There wasn't any plaque to inform us either. I'll try and investigate it for you.

 
At 25 July, 2006, Blogger Arabella said...

SO. FRICKIN'. COOL.

I'm really glad you two had fun in Savannah. That's a city that holds a lot of good memories for me...:)

 
At 25 July, 2006, Blogger graymama said...

I love your GIFT shot! The bright lights, the endless street on your journey, etc.. AMAZING! I am so glad that Hoop surprised you :-)

 
At 25 July, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tink, I'll take your first kiss and raise it to losing your virginity.

Can ya beat that? LOL!

 
At 25 July, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To clarify, LOL, it wasn't *me* who lost her virginity in a cemetary. I know someone who did, however.

And I've had sex in a cemetary before. *ahem* Gone are the days of being young, horny and wildly passionate.

 
At 25 July, 2006, Blogger Andrew Fletcher said...

So the Alamo Plaza won't be in the next Best of Savannah Guide? Unless it's the one meant for drunk / stoned bums who like to eat roaches and have a little expendible funds, that is.

The gift picture you took is way cool. I love the colors and the little lights in the foreground.

 
At 25 July, 2006, Blogger Mignon said...

So, apparently you were this close to Savannah and STILL didn't come to Blogfest?? For SHAME! You were the unanimous choice for someone we all really wanted to meet too... and we didn't stay in the roach hotel either.

 
At 26 July, 2006, Blogger Eileen said...

I don't know why, but nearly all my favorite memories of trips are places and people we experienced while in the middle of a *misadventure*, rather than the bits that happened smoothly according to plan. I've gotten to the point where I can be pretty sure that if I get brought to (or at least very close to) tears by fear/exhaustion/frustration during a vacation, something really great is about to happen.

But it only can happen if you stay open to the experience, the way you and Hoop did. Don't you feel clever? :)

 
At 26 July, 2006, Blogger Freakazojd said...

Yay, I can see your pics now! :) They are WONDERFUL - how did you get the "Gift" photo to show detail all the way down the street when it was so dark? I still haven't figured out how to do that. Simply beautiful!!!

Savannah has been on my top-5 list of places to go since reading "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil." Scary hotel aside, I'm glad you were able to get some good time in there as well as some cool photos!

 
At 27 July, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! You were near a lot of the places we were back in June! You would have been a great addition to our Savannah trip back then. Sorry I've been so out of it lately and bad about the commenting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home