Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Compulsive List Maker

Weekend Recap:
1. They say you're never too young to think about retirement.
2. But is it healthy to think about it EVERY day?
3. When I'm retired there will be no more Mondays. Just Saturday, twice. We'll have Thanksgiving three times a year. Hoop and I will dedicate whole afternoons to cleaning our belly buttons of lint. I'll wear a cape. Why? Because I fucking want to.
4. But most importantly... We'll live in a condo on the beach where everything is maintenanced for us. Ahhhhh. Bask in my dream with me, will you?
5. Saturday morning Hoop and I loaded the car with all the crap we'd accumulated in the last three months. It wasn't until I'd moved all the games and books and trinkets individually that Hoop said:

Hoop: Why didn't we ever put this stuff in a box?
Tink: *Blink* Um...

6. Why didn't we ever put the stuff in a box?! That revelation would have been handy three months ago.
7. After loading the car, we followed the family to the Scottish Highland Games. Because you know, we have SO much free time on our hands. *Eye roll*
8. Like
last year, the boys competed in the ax throwing competition. Only, this year it was run by a different group and the competition was NOT a process of elimination. Your rank was determined by how well you threw two axes. Most of the top placers won by luck and not skill.
9. But it was fun. I got tons of pictures. None of which you'll see today, sadly.
10. Since moving into my parents' house I've had little opportunity to get on the computer. You actually have to announce your intentions days in advance so you can get an appointment. It's like the damn library. But not nearly as quiet.
11. Saturday afternoon Hoop and I rode out to the house for a "private" painting party.
12. "Private" because no one else wanted to come. But that's beside the point.
13. We started at 6pm and didn't finish until 4am. And that was just the kitchen and the dining room!
14. We realized halfway into painting the primer that we'd chosen the most difficult rooms in the house to do first. Does that really surprise you though? When we finished, after numerous melt downs and mishaps, we were really happy with the result.
15. Of course we were under the influence, tired, and sore at the time. But that moment is all that matters, right?
16. The next morning, while scrutinizing the blue phone jack, the half blue light switch, and the speckled blue outlet, I realized... It's not ever going to be "perfect." We're not professionals. And it doesn't really matter.
17. That wisdom derived from the excruciating pain coming from my legs. Apparently, bending at the knees for 10 hours really will save you from arm soreness the next morning!
18. Next project is the baseboards and the living room. YAY!
19. Before heading back to my parents', I decided to brave the filthy bathroom for a shower. Then I realized I'd forgotten to pack towels.

Hoop: Just use paper towels.
Tink: Pfft. Oh-kay.
Hoop: What's wrong with that?
Tink: I don't even know where to start.

20. Hoop and I split ways on Sunday. He went to the hospital to visit AG. I stayed at my parents' for their barn blessing.
21. There were 15 people there in total. Overall, a really amazing event. My Grandfather (a retired minister) did the prayer. Then we all ate and drank wine.
22. Hopefully soon we can have a house blessing too. Our new home is in dire need of some karma cleansing...
23. ...or possibly an exorcism.
24. Last night Hoop and I went to visit AG. Even though I'm not a religious person, there is no disputing the power of good will and prayer. He looked amazing.
25. Well, considering. He's still dying. There's no disputing that. But last night he was the most lucid and cheerful we've seen him in a long time. Thank you all again for thinking of him/us.
26. An unrelated BTW: Have you noticed that my last four post titles have started with "C"? Odd.

Daily Hoop Conversation:
(While painting the dining room)
Hoop: What do you think of this color?
Tink: Well...
Hoop: Oh no. What?
Tink: It doesn't make me particularly hungry.
Hoop: *Puts down brush* Are you kidding me?
Tink: Do you think we could paint it something else?
Hoop: We're almost done!
Tink: Hoop?
Hoop: *Sigh* Yes?
Tink: I'm just kidding.

Pictures tomorrow!

Labels: ,

24 Comments:

At 27 February, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooo! First!

 
At 27 February, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL. It is things like threatening to change the color that keeps guys on their toes.

How did Hoop and PapaBear do with the axes this year?

 
At 27 February, 2007, Blogger meno said...

I'm retired. Ha ha. It's great!

Sorry, that was mean.

An axe throwing contest? Um, i hope you were standing well out of the way.

I would rather be boiled in oil than ever again paint any part of a house.

 
At 27 February, 2007, Blogger Tink said...

OM: Hoop got fifth place. Papa Bear got fourth. Or so Papa Bear claims. He got to see the final score sheets. But Hoop swears he beat his mark by an inch.

Meno: Thanks for rubbing it in! Is it everything they say it is? *Sniffle*

I was standing on the other side of the fence from the competition. Although it was still a little scary during the kid tournament. They have such little hands and butter fingers.

 
At 27 February, 2007, Blogger sassybead said...

Here's some virtual linament for those poor sore legs. Sorry it's so "fragrant" though! Three or four of us helped a friend paint just her kitchen prepatory to selling her house. I couldn't believe how sore I was the next day from clambering up and down ladders and stuff. I cannot imagine how much sorer you must be from all the painting you've been doing!

I'm keeping your AG in my thoughts. I'm so sorry to hear things have taken such a turn...

 
At 27 February, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You did remember to dampen your brushes and rollers before painting, right?

Right!?

Cause if you didn't all that work will be for nothing. The paint will bubble, peel and blister within six months; maybe sooner.

Yeah, sooner down there in humid Florida.

Damn. I'm sorry Tink.

Hah!

 
At 27 February, 2007, Blogger Jay said...

Doing the hardest rooms first is always the way to go. Otherwise you will have to do the hardest rooms when you are totally out of gas and that will make it worse.

I plan to retire to a foreign country. At least for a while anyway.

If not that I will retire to a small seaside village somewhere. I'll get up every morning and watch all the fishing boats go out. Then in the evenings after my nap I will go down to the marina and see what the catch of the day is.

 
At 27 February, 2007, Blogger mike said...

I can't even think of retiring. I really like what I do. Then again, I'm not painting ;)

And that was a mean trick to play on Hoop.

 
At 27 February, 2007, Blogger Tink said...

MAMALUJO: Oh sweet baby Jebus. You are fucking kidding me right?!

 
At 27 February, 2007, Blogger Tink said...

Sassybead: I haven't been able to walk right since. I look like the Tin Man... No knees.

Jay: Oh wow. I want to retire there too! Since you'll go before me, tell me when you find it K? ;)

Mike: I hope I find a job one day that doesn't make me want to claw my own eyes out daily.

 
At 27 February, 2007, Blogger spellconjurer said...

oh gosh don't take painting advice from lawyers,,,,,,,,,,,geesh! (giggling) The best compliment I could think of, is that I wish you and Hoop were my mom and dad. And the little hulahoops you're gonna have someday? will be the luckiest kids in all of Hoopdom. I sincerely hoop that you are very hoopy, and hoopful about your hoopified house!

 
At 27 February, 2007, Blogger fiwa said...

"22. Hopefully soon we can have a house blessing too. Our new home is in dire need of some karma cleansing..."

Heehee... you know the best way to clean the bad karma out of your new house, right?!

I agree with whoever said it's best to start on the hardest room first. Get it out of the way. Hey, at least you have the time to paint it before you move in, so you don't have to fool with drop clothes and all that jazz.

Keeping AG in my thoughts.

 
At 27 February, 2007, Blogger Kell said...

When we moved into this house, I did a cleansing with a sage stick. It felt kind of hokey, but everyone who comes over says there's a nice, homey feel to the home. Of course, that could be the cookies baking.

 
At 27 February, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Jay...good for you for starting on the hard stuff first. That way, the next stuff will seem easy. Or at least I think so. Hmmm.

Maybe not.

 
At 27 February, 2007, Blogger Ellie said...

I think about retirement too...though the idea of wearing a cape has never been prt of my retirement plan, the idea of it makes me laugh. Just be sure to read the warning label on the cape, it says something to the effect of the cape not giving you the ability to fly.

Best of luck with your painting. If you lived closer I would give you a hand.

 
At 27 February, 2007, Blogger Chris said...

You are just damned funny! Brilliant.

I wish I had done a bit more painting before I moved in. I only painted a single wall. Sigh. Now there's a high probability that anything I paint will have cat fur preserved for posterity...

 
At 27 February, 2007, Blogger Foo said...

I'll wear a cape. Why? Because I fucking want to.

I think you just solved the mystery of my Costco viking guy!

 
At 28 February, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm cracking up at what you said to Hoop about changing the color. Gotta keep the dude on his toes! *snort*

I'm just dying over you 'drying' off with paper towels. LMAO! Similar story or whatever...I used my clothes to dry off with. It wasn't much better than papertowels.

EE

 
At 28 February, 2007, Blogger Ellie's Mommie said...

hehe... drying off with paper towels... that's GREAT!!

I'm thinking that the only house blessing we need right now is an exorcism to vanquish my "Baby Brain" and "Demon Hormones".

 
At 28 February, 2007, Blogger Gracey said...

I think about retirement alot too but then again, I don't want to get to that age too quickly so maybe I should stop wishing my life away, huh? :) I've been away for awhile but now I'm back at least for a week. I'm flying out to Texas next week to look for a house to buy. Hopefully I won't have to go through all the drama you went through. I'll cross my fingers! :)

 
At 28 February, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's GOOD that you got the hardest rooms done first. Now it's all downhill from here, right?

 
At 28 February, 2007, Blogger Tink said...

Spellconjurer: Aw! That gave me the warm-fuzzies. You're so sweet.

Fiwa: Well if that's all it takes to cleanse a house, then the damn thing has been blessed five or six times already!

Kell: Saging is next on my list... Right after painting. Maybe I should have done that first?

Michelle + TB: That's a better way of looking at it. Not that we should have done the hardest room LAST so we wouldn't screw it up. Who notices the kitchen and dining room anyway? ;)

Ellie: I'll write that down in case I become senile. "Cape does NOT give you the ability to fly." Check.

Chris: My last house had construction primer on it for three years before I painted! Then I moved. Go figure.

Foo: Hey, I think I did! Wow. Things are so much clearer now.

EE: At least clothes would be soft. Unless you're into the leather and vinyl stuff. Hehe

Ellie's Mommie: I wonder if sage works for that too? Hmm...

Gracey: I already sucked up all the bad luck for you in that department. All systems GO.

 
At 01 March, 2007, Blogger Newt said...

my evil grandma was visiting one year and she stopped in the retail store I ran - we sold dishes. She looked at a set of black dishes and said "That's disgusting, I would never eat off black dishes." So I looked at her and said "Guess You're going hungry" because of course it was my set of dishes. You could always tell him you were thinking black might be an interesting color :-)

 
At 01 March, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Use paper towels, I like that only a male would say or do that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home