Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Screw You And Your Igloo

Hoop is a walking database of useless knowledge.

But he never remembers where he heard the information, so people are less inclined to believe him. And by "people" I mean me. I think I have good reasons for being doubtful though.

Hoop: Did you know that Eskimos loan their wives out to house guests?
Tink: For what?
Hoop: What do you think?
Tink: No way.
Hoop: Seriously. It's considered rude for them to decline.
Tink: Like, "Make yourself at home. Have my wife!"
Hoop: Exactly.
Tink: Where did you hear this little tidbit?
Hoop: I don't know.
Tink: Uh huh.

What would a white-bread, financial representative from Florida know about Eskimo customs?
Apparently more than I thought. I'd tell him. But I prefer my pies WITHOUT crow, thankyouverymuch.

Hello Cosmos: Hoop and I have gotten into a routine of meeting at the new house around 6:30 every night. At first I was overwhelmed by the amount of prep work involved in preparing our house for paint. But I've gotten used to the methodic rhythm of spackling and sanding. It's almost comforting now. The soreness in my arms has ebbed into more of a pleasant ache. But it wasn't until Monday night that I fully started to appreciate having a home. It happened after dinner. We were eating Chinese at a local dive and plotting our next move. I broke open the fortune cookie expecting to see some lame quote. "What's it say?" Hoop asked. I was quiet for a minute before bursting into laughter. I'm sure he thought I was nuts.

"Be satisfied with what you already own."

Alright Cosmos. I hear you.

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

At 21 February, 2007, Blogger Newt said...

LOL - If we were happy with what we already owned we have fewer shoes, lipsticks, purses......sigh.........that's just not right. But as for happy with your house. That is good fortune cookie advice.

 
At 21 February, 2007, Blogger Kim Fernandez said...

I needed deep cranberry walls in our dining room when we bought our house. We were still living in our townhouse, but we'd come here every night to work. The paint went on light pink...and then streaky...and it eventually took 12 coats to get deep cranberry. But it became Zen...go to the house, paint the dining room, up and down, up and down, and then figure out that night's project. I missed it when it was done.

 
At 21 February, 2007, Blogger Jay said...

LOL ... Typical fortune cookie advice if you ask me. Not bad advice though, I guess.

I'm going to visit some old Eskimo friends in Alaska tonight. ;-)

 
At 21 February, 2007, Blogger Chris said...

Whew - good thing that fortune came AFTER you bought this house.

 
At 21 February, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, but I would argue that being happy with what you own isn't the same with being happy with the state that it's in. Otherwise Home Depot and Estee Lauder would both be out of business.

 
At 21 February, 2007, Blogger Betty said...

Funny you should have that particular conversation. I just happen to be reading James Michener's "Alaska" and the Eskimos did, indeed "share" their wives before the missionaries arrived. Aftger the missionaries had "shared" all the wives they wanted to, they taught the Eskimos that it was wrong. The rest is history.

 
At 21 February, 2007, Blogger Allison said...

There IS something almost calming about remodeling a room/house/etc., isn't there? Granted, it becomes more and more calming as the amount of beer increases, but it's calming all the same. ;)

 
At 21 February, 2007, Blogger Mouse said...

Heh. My husband tells me I'm a fountain of useless knowledge because I come out with things like that all the time and have to Google them to prove that they are real facts.

 
At 21 February, 2007, Blogger mamatulip said...

When my mother died, I inherited the house I grew up in, which was really needing some serious TLC. Dave and I threw ourselves into fixing it up that summer...at first I found it extremely difficult, for obvious reasons, but after a few weeks it was just like you said in this post -- comforting, in a strange way. I got used to the work, the sweat, the memories, the aspirations...and I missed it when the house was done and we'd moved in.

 
At 21 February, 2007, Blogger gawilli said...

I liked working on our house with Willi. We went through it room by room and made them all our own. The prep work was the worst, but the most important. There definitely was something therapeutic about starting the projects and working through them to completion. Sounds pretty sappy, doesn't it?

 
At 21 February, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've made a note never to lunch with eskimo's, or marry one.

 
At 21 February, 2007, Blogger EE said...

LOL about the useless information. And it's even FUNNIER, that you looked it up. That's the sort of thing I would do, LOL!

That fortune. WOW.

 
At 22 February, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, so how many of you are planing on taking a trip to Alaska! Come on get up and get to work on the house, you have loaft sp? long enough! So how many days before the painting is completed? Just think how wonderful its going to feel when you finally lay down on your bed and think its all done and I love it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home