Monday, July 02, 2007

Happy New Half Of The Year!

Today at noon, the year officially rolled over into its second half. I can only hope this half will be better than the first. To commemorate the occasion, I have scheduled some special events for the month.

July 25th: The
anniversary of the day Hoop discovered my blog. As celebration, I will be holding a Hoopla. A day for sharing bawdy stories, jokes, and recapping the best of the Daily Hoop Conversations.
July 27th: The Second Annual
PB Contest. Instructions and prizes to follow.
July 30th: Arabella Day, a blogger holiday dedicated to celebrating the bloggers who matter the most to you. It was so much fun
last year, I decided to do it again.

Weekend Recap:
1. Friday evening, Hoop and I went to see
"1408." Added together, 1408 equals unlucky 13. But that's about as scary as the movie got.
2. REVIEW: The plot was based around an evil hotel room which was being investigated by a writer who specialized in paranormal activity. Because the movie was rated PG-13, Hoop and I didn't expect much. For that reason alone we weren't too disappointed. If you're looking for a Gorror film, this isn't for you. Albeit spooky, the movie lacks any true elements of terror. There are no key monsters or bad guys. In fact, the room seems unable to cause any real harm to its victims. Hoop and I give this one two thumbs down. We think it was probably better off as a novel.
3. As we were leaving the theater, Hoop and I noticed a young girl and guy tinkering with the car next to ours.
4. "Yup. It's leaking gas." The guy said as the girl pulled the car out of the parking space. I looked down and realized that "leaking" was a vast understatement. The ground was puddled with fuel.
5. "I'll call you if it blows up." The girl said, leaning out the window to steal a kiss. Liquid poured from her engine like a gut wound.
Tink: You can't drive it like that!
Guy: She has to.
Tink: That's not safe! You should just park it and call a tow truck.
Girl: *Shrugs and pulls away*
Guy: Crazy thing is, she just got it fixed today.
Hoop: Doesn't she have someone she can call?
Guy: Yeah, me.
Tink: But-
Guy: -Don't worry. She has a full tank.
6. Hoop and I stood around for a few minutes after the guy left.
Tink: Are people really that stupid?!
Hoop: Yes.
...
Hoop: What do you think would happen if I lit that gasoline trail on fire?
7. Saturday night, Hoop and I decided to walk a few blocks to the nearest bar. Our route led us through a small block of low income houses. Half way down, we noticed a couple of people fighting in a driveway.
8. One person was in an SUV, preparing to back up. The other person was standing in front of it, pounding on the hood and yelling "You can't leave!" Hoop and I slowed our pace to allow time for the fight to break up.
9. Just as the SUV was pulling away, the man in the driveway turned in our direction. At the same time, fireworks went off from somewhere behind us. The man wavered on his feet for a minute, unsure of what was going on. Then he bolted for the door.
10. Hoop and I turned to watch the colors explode across the sky. It was then that another man walked out from the house to inspect the scene. "Man!" He yelled back through the door. "It was just fireworks!"
11. The other guy, the man who had ran, had thought we were SHOOTING at him!
12. I laughed so hard I had to clutch my sides to keep the ache from doubling me over.
13. Sunday afternoon, Hoop and I went to see
"Live Free or Die Hard."
14. REVIEW: If you've seen the other three "Die Hard" movies then you know what to expect. There aren't any surprises there. As with the original, the action scenes are masterfully orchestrated and the movie moves quick. No long, drawn out plots. I was hesitant about seeing this movie at first. My knee jerk reaction was, "Isn't Bruce Willis too old for this?" But he pulls it off without conveying the feeling that he's TRYING to act like a young hotshot. Hoop and I give this movie two thumbs up. It's a good action flick for the whole family to enjoy.

Sudden Death Match:
  • This poll begins at 3pm (Eastern time) today and ends at 3pm tomorrow.
  • Please, only vote once.
  • Bigger pictures of the contestants can be found here.
  • For updates on the poll, go here.
  • Let the death match begin!



  • Tomorrow: "Good-bye June" post.
    Wednesday: A new chapter of Twisted (Tink).

    Labels: , ,

    25 Comments:

    At 02 July, 2007, Blogger Chelle Y. said...

    You saw "grown-up" movies this week, while I saw Ratatouille. Actually, it was really cute and I think the adults enjoyed it more than the kids! Haha!

    I laughed out loud (had to look around to see who was watching me) when I read that part about Hoop asking what would happen if he lit a match. :)

    I wanted to see that 1408 just because of John Cusack but I do not like scary movies!

     
    At 02 July, 2007, Blogger Jay said...

    Another PB Contest??? Ohboyohboyohboy! *jumps up and down* I can't wait!

    You guys really should have thrown a match into that trail of gasoline. It would have been worth a try. If the movies are real and chased her car that would have been spectacular. And you would have an answer to a question that a lot of people have asked over the years.

     
    At 02 July, 2007, Blogger Molly said...

    Happy New Half of the Year to you. I always enjoy the start of a new month. It is a new beginning and a chance to change the calendar page. Starting the second of the year is even better, a chamce for a new perspective of the same old year.

     
    At 02 July, 2007, Blogger Newt said...

    Die Hard is on my list - maybe this coming weekend. I finally just saw Pirates 3. And it was WONDERFUL. Even the hubster loved it. Your recap as always made me laugh. We should be able to put warnings up around our cubes "Reading Tink, please ignore snorts and fits of laughter"

     
    At 02 July, 2007, Blogger Mary said...

    I want to see that bruce willis movie too. But it'll be a few weeks before I ever have time. By then it won't be crowded and i can get any seat I want--YAY :)

    I too hope the second 1/2 of this year goes better!

     
    At 02 July, 2007, Blogger Chris said...

    I love your movie reviews. Short, to the point, and funny.

    I'm glad the guy didn't come back out and start shooting at you and Hoop!

     
    At 02 July, 2007, Blogger Betty said...

    I watched "Happy Feet" this weekend. It was cute, if a little preachy in making its ecological point.

     
    At 02 July, 2007, Blogger fiwa said...

    Dang, I'm so bummed to hear that about 1408 - I was looking forward to seeing it because I love John Cusak. I had a feeling it might be kinda lame though. Thanks for saving me $8!!

    The walk you took to the bar story cracked me up! I can just picture that guy thinking he was being shot at. Why on earth do people fight outside? There's a house in our neighborhood where the two loonies go outside to their back yard when they fight, it's like free entertainment.

     
    At 02 July, 2007, Blogger Lefty said...

    I wonder if the gasoline people were the same ones with the fireworks.

    What a great combination.

    After I have a few beers on the 4th, I'll give it a try. I'll let you know how it turns out.

     
    At 02 July, 2007, Blogger Kilroy_60 said...

    Please excuse my misstep. It was my intention that you be included in the current edition of A Hitchhiker's Guide To The Blogosphere.

    It would be a great help if you send me an email or at least write a comment that I won't publish when it is moderated to remind me.

     
    At 02 July, 2007, Blogger mitchgib said...

    Ok, kilroy-whatever.

    We took our 13yr old to see 1408. I agree with ya Tink, made a better story. John Cusak is good in it though.
    My daughter thought it was creepy, and couldn't get to sleep, so we talked till dawn !

    Oh, what does PB stand for ? New blogger-don't shoot.

     
    At 02 July, 2007, Blogger meno said...

    I was just waiting to hear that the people with the leaking car were smoking. THAT would have been fireworks.

     
    At 02 July, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Gee, what would happen if you lit the gas trail on fire? Bad stuff, I'd guess but now I'm curious.

     
    At 02 July, 2007, Blogger Katie said...

    Mitchgib - PICKLED BEEF, the blog you're reading! Although, I understand. I always think Peanut Butter when I see PB.

    "What do you think would happen if I lit that gasoline trail on fire?" HAHAHAHAHA

    "It's a good action flick for the whole family to enjoy." Even Luke?

    You crack me up, Tink.

     
    At 02 July, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Happy New Half Of The Year to you also! In my work this is definitely the close of a year and it is a painstaking experience. I like your take on it!

    Its a little scary to think that one of those two with the leaky gas tank could also be someone your life might depend on some day - you never know - 911 dispatcher, ambulance driver...

    Looking forward to your July holidays!

     
    At 02 July, 2007, Blogger Mike Y said...

    Aw... I wanna see the Bruce Willis movie.

    That's too funny about the gas. "Sure Hon... it'll be fine [as he drops his cigarette bud on the ground]".

     
    At 03 July, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hm... stuck between pink tink and sporks. But I really like the sporks, mainly because you went to taco bell to get them. Taco bell and sporks, what more can a girl ask for?

     
    At 03 July, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    oh, and can't wait for the new chapter of Twisted Tink! Can't get enough of it :)

     
    At 03 July, 2007, Blogger captain corky said...

    It's unbelievable how fast this year is going by. Pretty soon I'll be 50.

    The gas tank guy and girl sound like real winners!

     
    At 03 July, 2007, Blogger Cat Herder said...

    Here's to a better second half o' the year! WHOOOP!

     
    At 03 July, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What is wrong with people? ANd nothing like stepping in flammable liquids. Their concern is touching!

     
    At 03 July, 2007, Blogger Arabella said...

    Tink, I am so honored!!! You are a sweetheart! :)

     
    At 03 July, 2007, Blogger Blank said...

    The second Die Hard movie was my favorite.

    Now why would that guy think two strangers walking down the sidewalk were shooting at him? And why would the other guy come out to look at two stranges shooting at people????

     
    At 03 July, 2007, Blogger mamatulip said...

    I don't think I've ever seen any of the Die Hard movies, and I'm okay with that.

     
    At 03 July, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Will there be boob pics at Hoopla? I only go to see the boobs and not Hoop's.

    You know the "shrug" is the loser sign of "ya, you're right, but I don't want to admit it."

    ~Jef

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home