Monday, November 19, 2007

You No Like This Post?

Weekend Recap:
1. My new favorite phrase is, "You no like-?"
2. You can blame
Middlesex...
3. ...and the fact that I love annoying my annoying coworkers.
4. "You no like this pen? WHY? What did pen ever do to you?"
5. The book is about Greek incest, of all things. It's totally screwing with my head.
6. In other news, the weekend went smashingly well.
7. We had friends spend the night on Saturday!
8. I don't know what I'm more excited about: the fact that we have friends, or the fact that someone came over that wasn't there to fix or appraise something.
9. The day started off at a Kahlua party.
10. I was the youngest guest there, followed by a 39 year old. The rest were old enough to be my Grandmother.
11. The conversation was low-key until the women switched from coffee and Kahlua to Mimosas. Then the topic switched from books and movies to man-bashing and drugs.
12. One woman recounted how her husband had convinced her a pressure gage was really a breathalyzer and made her breathe into it before he let her get behind the wheel.
13. It took her a year to discover the truth.
14. Later that night, after Hoop and our friends (another couple) had downed a few free beers at home, we made our way to a local pizzeria where a one-man-band was set to perform.
15. This guy, Nate Holley, uses a sophisticated method of looping sound to make it appear that he's a band. The music is AMAZING.
16. Which is a good thing, because the service at this place was horrible. I was sober by the time he stopped playing.
17. Our waitress wasn't though. I caught her doing shots in the back with another patron. It was probably the shot I'd been waiting on for the last hour.
18. Sunday morning Hoop and I did nothing.
19. We pretty much did nothing until five o'clock, when we decided maybe we should do nothing at the movie theater.

MOVIE REVIEW: Beowulf (IN 3D)
Classic mythology meets CGI. This is NOT a cartoon for the kiddies. Bloody and brutal with plenty of eye-candy for both sexes. If you dig that sort of thing. It wasn't quite a romance, not quite a hero's tale, but it packed plenty of action and a moral at the end. The 3D version we paid four dollars extra to see definitely added a unique quality to the whole movie experience. Overall, Hoop and I gave this flick three out of five sporks.

Daily Hoop Conversation:
Tink: I'd like to get fake nails before the wedding. I used to get them done. They looked really good.
Hoop: I remember. You had fake nails when I first met you. Not that I'm saying you looked better before, but why did you stop?
Tink: They just seemed sort of... high maintenance.
Hoop: What's wrong with that?
Tink: Well- No, you're going to laugh.
Hoop: What? Tell me.
Tink: Oh-kay. Before I get something like that done I always think, but what if I get picked for Survivor?
Hoop: You don't even watch Survivor!
Tink: I know! But what if we get stranded on an island or something? What if your Dad wants to take us on a surprise nature adventure for a month? How stupid am I going to look with fake nails?
Hoop: Babe, if that ever happens, I vow to help you remove your nails before anyone notices. OK?
Tink: OK.
Hoop: But I would like to note that this is almost as ridiculous as driving around a huge gas guzzler on the CHANCE that you might have something to haul eventually.

Labels: , ,

23 Comments:

At 19 November, 2007, Blogger Newt said...

8. I don't know what I'm more excited about: the fact that we have friends, or the fact that someone came over that wasn't there to fix or appraise something.

Ok, that made me laugh out loud. You poor thing. You gotta love it when you aren't sure how to handle a "normal" get together in your home.

 
At 19 November, 2007, Blogger mamatulip said...

I LOVED Middlesex. I couldn't put it down...and it stayed with me long after I finished it.

How far along in it are you?

 
At 19 November, 2007, Blogger Tink said...

Newt: I think I did OK. They didn't run away. In fact, they said they'd like to do it again sometime! Score.

Mama T: I'm about half way right now. I just got done with all the back story.

 
At 19 November, 2007, Blogger furiousBall said...

hmm Beowolf didn't look that great to me, but i've heard of a few people going to see it with nice sideburns, perhaps through movie osmosis, i could have nice side burns if i went to see it.

 
At 19 November, 2007, Blogger R.E.H. said...

A bunch of grandma's talking about man-bashing and drugs... that actually sounds terrifying... in a curiuous sort of way. Where was this party you say? ;)

 
At 19 November, 2007, Blogger Jay said...

I go back and forth about Beowolf. I might see. Probably when I get it from NetFlix.

I get drunk waitresses a lot too. Maybe they need the tequila shots just to face me. LOL

 
At 19 November, 2007, Blogger fiwa said...

That sounds like a great weekend - activities on Saturday followed by nothing on Sunday. I hate having anything planned on Sunday - I really just need that day to do nothing and recharge before Monday.

I think i'm going to give Beowulf a miss. The previews just don't do anything for me. I did, however, see Martian Child over the weekend and I would give it 4 out of 5 sporks. (If I'm allowed to use the spork rating)

I think you and Hoop should do the Amazing Race.

lovins,
fiwa

 
At 19 November, 2007, Blogger Chris said...

Hmm, Middlesex... or lolcats?! ;)

 
At 19 November, 2007, Blogger meno said...

We saw Beowulf this weekend too. Virtual naked people (did you notice how Beowulf had no penis?) and a cool dragon. What's not to like?

Loved Middlesex. I read it a few years ago, but it did stay with me too.

 
At 19 November, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww, how sweet of him to worry about your fashion sense.

I did the fake nail thing too, then I was afraid I would mar one of the children when I changed their diaper so I quit.

Now I clean so much I would live in rubber gloves.

I miss the fakies. ;(

It would be funny if you invited one of the appraisers or what ever to spend the night.

 
At 20 November, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do they still use the same green and red 3D glasses I remember from the 70's?

 
At 20 November, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your arguement about fake nails would hold a little more water if you were actually TRYING to get on Survivor lol

But who am I to talk, I have Stuff magazines from 2004 under my bed in case one of the articles in there comes in handy...I have no clue what articles are in them at this point, but still "I might need it"

 
At 20 November, 2007, Blogger the planet of janet said...

i had fake nails once too. diapering was interesting, as was trying to dig vaseline out of the container. *shudder*

and let's hear it for kahlua parties and sloshed old ladies!

 
At 20 November, 2007, Blogger Me said...

LOL @ "You no like this pen? WHY? What did pen ever do to you?"

 
At 20 November, 2007, Blogger captain corky said...

"Overall, Hoop and I gave this flick three out of five sporks."

LOL! Three sporks aint bad.

 
At 20 November, 2007, Blogger g-man said...

My little sis used to wear those fake fingernails, she was always losing them. I guess the larger issue is that you would accept a role on Survivor.

 
At 20 November, 2007, Blogger Allison Horner said...

Guuurl...

I used to do the fake nail thing here & there and I HATED how high maintenance & expensive it was. Not too mention they look fake. I think real nails look so much nicer. PLUS, fake nails are unsanitary & trips to the nail salon can lead to possible fungal infections. I rarely get mani's & pedi's now b/c I am paranoid. This is what happens when you go through medical training....we know too much...

For my wedding, although my nails were/are short, I just had the french manicure paint (no fake tips) and it looked very elegant.

Just my POV.

P.S. - I love Survivor! That & Biggest Loser is the ONLY reality TV hubby & I will watch.

 
At 20 November, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whenever I hear "You no like ..." I think of Anjelah Johnson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsWrY77o77o&feature=related

~Jef

 
At 20 November, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always worry that I will be stranded in the desert...not that I live anywhere near the desert anymore!

I loved my fake nails until I got preggers and the smell made me sick. Then I just never got back into it...I don't even get manis...unless having it done by a 13 yo counts.

 
At 20 November, 2007, Blogger Scottsdale Girl said...

Here at the palace I use

U no likey? Why for u no likey?

But since it is the dogs I use it on mostly now...since the departure of the Prince (now named TOAD) I don't get the response I would like. Even though I like cocked heads and lolled tongues.

 
At 20 November, 2007, Blogger Portia said...

that was a good laugh... sounds like quite a weekend, and book:)

 
At 21 November, 2007, Blogger HAR said...

Love your blog as usual.

 
At 22 November, 2007, Blogger CRUSTY MOM-E said...

thanks for the book suggestion..I'll have to pick that one up!!

ha..great conversation with you and Hoop!!! :)
you guys are so cute together!!
Always,
Crusty~
p.s. Hoop, she's saving money by not getting the nails..believe me I know...! :)more money for more movies for the two of you guys!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home